Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Weapon Dyes - Why Not?

Ffastyl
Ffastyl
✭✭✭✭✭
Upon hearing that weapon dying is debated heatedly internally from ESO Live, I imagine the arguments are along the general lines of combat information and immersion/realism versus personalization. And in that regard, the same can be argued for armor dying. The general shape, and therefore type, of equipment can be seen but the minute details revealed through color - level and refinement - are lost with dying. Some of the ability to gauge threat levels is lost with that. And yet armor is dyeable despite that information loss. There is also the issue of realism: can swords, axes and maces be dyed? Wood most surely can be painted and leather dyed, but metal? We already have an answer: Heavy Armor is dyeable.

So what reason(s) is there to not allow weapon dying?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
Tienc - Level 50 Warden
Aldmeri Dominion
Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
Champion Rank 938

Check out:
Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Annalyse
    Annalyse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they will just because I want realistic looking weapons. The rubedite weapons are terrible.

Please, give me the option to make my sword silver!
    Edited by Annalyse on June 27, 2016 5:12AM
    Options
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hard to code a sword in different colours when it's being held like a bow iirc.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
    Options
  • Whatzituyah
    Whatzituyah
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why isn't silver a trait item? You know so you could kill Undead, Werewolfs, and Possibly Daedra that much quicker?
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been and am still currently asking around ingame for arguments against weapon dying that cannot also be applied to armor dying.

The only argument I heard was an old quote from an interview with Paul Sage:
    We don't want people waving their pink swords around.
    A reasonable one. I and many others want weapon dying to make our weapons a silverish color akin to real life steel, but there are also those out there with the intent of creating glow sticks. Most dyes in the game are already a subdued color with few exceptions (Blademaster's Muave), but to reduce neon blades further a system already implemented in armor dying can be applied. Currently, each dye applies differently to different material types. This can be tweaked to subdue colors on weapons, preventing rainbow raves in Cyrodiil and other locations.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Options
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they will not allow weapon dyeing in our choice of color an option to at least be grey "steel" for metal and brown "wood" for staffs would be nice.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
    Options
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the pink sword argument went out the window around vet rank 1. Or cp10 now, I guess. Bright purple calcinium, eh? Or how about that really cool red rubedite? We have a situation where the players are asking for dyes and the devs worry we'll use it to make outlandish colors...

When the ones who want to change the colors are doing so because the weapons look outlandish in vibrant neon red.
    Options
  • Garethjolnir
    Garethjolnir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ffastyl wrote: »
    I have been and am still currently asking around ingame for arguments against weapon dying that cannot also be applied to armor dying.

Not sure if it's just the motif I used, but my rubedite sword actually looks pink.

If they do not want immersion breaking coloured weapons, they could give us a colour palette of weapon colours currently ingame.
    Edited by Garethjolnir on June 27, 2016 5:49AM
    Viele grüße aus Germany. Neu Heimat.
    Options
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Annalyse wrote: »
    I hope they will just because I want realistic looking weapons. The rubedite weapons are terrible.

Please, give me the option to make my sword silver!

This^
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what reason(s) is there to not allow weapon dying?

Because trial by combat is apparently frowned upon in the office.

Which is a shame. I'm pretty sure trial by combat is our only hope at getting an optimized Cyrodiil.
    signing off
    Options
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't give them any ideas about limiting the dyes we can use, there's absolutely-tootely no reason that we shouldn't be able to use our whole arsenal of dyes as-is on our weapons!

Case and point? How many people do you see running around in all-pink or rainbow armor? Not that many, you say? It's almost like most folks playing this game don't want to look like a melted pack of crayons. If people dye their swords pink, let them. If they like it they'll keep it and if they're just being childish it'll wear off soon enough.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
    Options
  • ConeOfSilence
    ConeOfSilence
    ✭✭✭✭
    So this is C.O.D now what next running sideways on walls ?
    Options
  • nordsavage
    nordsavage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That attitude towards pink weapons seems homophobic of them. Not all of us want our characters to look stupid either.
    I didn't choose tank life, tank life chose me.
    Options
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this is C.O.D now what next running sideways on walls ?

Would you like to return to the days where we didn't have dyes and had to deal with the colors our gear came off the crafting bench as? Maybe make everything a steely gray, leathery and wooden browns while we're at it?

Not saying these colors should not be desirable, but rather that it's silly to think we should accept ZOS limiting us to only these things!
    Edited by KochDerDamonen on June 27, 2016 8:17AM
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe make everything a steely gray, leathery and wooden browns while we're at it?
    This is precisely why we (I) want dyes, though. :(

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

Options
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just give us a smaller color palette with "sober" colours, I say.

Glad I have my Willpower Argonian swords.
    Options
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So why does this thread exist now? Unless OP did not see it say Weapon Dyes are coming with the next DLC or other threads talking about that.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So why does this thread exist now? Unless OP did not see it say Weapon Dyes are coming with the next DLC or other threads talking about that.

I watched the recording of 6/24/16's ESO Live, hearing them mention weapon dying has been repeatedly and heatedly debated internally. I have not seen these other threads, so care to link them?

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:

Options
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would you like to return to the days where we didn't have dyes and had to deal with the colors our gear came off the crafting bench as? Maybe make everything a steely gray, leathery and wooden browns while we're at it?

That is precisely what I want weaopn dyes for... to give my blades/axes/maces a steel appearance and get rid of the ridiculous pink/red colour of the rubedite weapons.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
      Options
    • KochDerDamonen
      KochDerDamonen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Maybe make everything a steely gray, leathery and wooden browns while we're at it?
      This is precisely why we (I) want dyes, though. :(

I didn't mean to say that we should not have these colors, in fact it's exactly what I would use too barring maybe something more flamboyant for staves. But it's also silly to think we should be limited to these things when we can already dye our metal and leather armors an array of colors, I mean to say no to those who suggest ZOS might let us dye our weapons in only a small palette of colors. My bad for the phrasing!
      Options
    • UltimaJoe777
      UltimaJoe777
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

I watched the recording of 6/24/16's ESO Live, hearing them mention weapon dying has been repeatedly and heatedly debated internally. I have not seen these other threads, so care to link them?

Wait I think I got mixed up with Weapon Dye and Costume Dye my bad :D
      Edited by UltimaJoe777 on June 27, 2016 9:32AM
      Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
      Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
      Options
    • Detector
      Detector
      ✭✭✭✭
      Yes. I hate red weapons(
      Options
    • PURPLE245
      PURPLE245
      ✭✭✭
      think id make mine gold :D
      ↓♛The Fam♛↓
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      AD/High Elf-NB=Chip-D-I-P-S
      AD/High Elf-Sorc=Why Play
      AD/High Elf-Templar=Star Bucks
      AD/High Elf-DK=D-I-P-S
      DC/Orc-DK=Super Nub
      AD/Wood Elf-Templar=L M A O
      AD/Wood Elf-NB=ßoß
      AD/Wood Elf-sorc=Tarzan
      EP/Argonian-dk=Swimming Like A Shark
      PC☜═㋡630+cp ㋡═☞EU
      User ID=@PURPLE97
      Options
    • NovaShadow
      NovaShadow
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'd rather they put the resources into fixing the game over allowing someone to dye their sword pink.
      PC NA - EPHS
      Options
    • Divinius
      Divinius
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      There is no reason against weapon dyes, other than the devs not wanting to spend any time developing a system that can't be directly sold on the crown store.

Wait until they release something like custom dye colors that can only be purchased with crowns. Then they'll have a monetary reason to allow weapons to be dyed, and it will happen almost immediately.
      Options
    • dennissomb16_ESO
      dennissomb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      One of my favorite thing in DAOC was having a warrior troll waving a huge LIME GREEN sword. Silly but I loved it. Truthfully though what I really like is "glowy". Give me burning sword, frosty sword etc etc
      Options
    • Bam_Bam
      Bam_Bam
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Annalyse wrote: »
      The rubedite weapons are terrible.

Disagree.
      Joined January 2014
      PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
      Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
      Lims Kragm'a
      Bam Bam Bara
      Options
    • bloodenragedb14_ESO
      bloodenragedb14_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      i hope they will, if not for metal, then at least for wood weapons like staves and bow's, i mean its wood, applying paint to wood is not unheard of -.-

still want metal dying too, i mean my buddy, a orc, needs orihalc colored weapons, i want my buddy to be happy, when your meatshield is happy, he is more effective
      Options
    • leothedino
      leothedino
      ✭✭✭✭
      I agree with this post so much. To think they are sat there concerned we will make pink swords... and all any of us want to do, really, is dye our weapons a true and realistic colour like grey and silver LOL.

But yeah, back when Paul Sage was still in charge/employed by ZoS and said 'we don't people doing whacky things with weapons and dyes, oh but here is rubadite... you like bright and stark red, right?'
      Options
    • Lady_Rosabella
      Lady_Rosabella
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      leothedino wrote: »
      I agree with this post so much. To think they are sat there concerned we will make pink swords... and all any of us want to do, really, is dye our weapons a true and realistic colour like grey and silver LOL.

But yeah, back when Paul Sage was still in charge/employed by ZoS and said 'we don't people doing whacky things with weapons and dyes, oh but here is rubadite... you like bright and stark red, right?'

I've noticed on some of the cp 150-160 (rubedite) weapons that the bright and stark red actually looks like hot pink, so that just busts their theory of what wacky things "we" would do with weapons and dyes. I personally would like the weapons on my DC toons to not be EP red, and be allowed to make it silver or grey, is that too much to ask?
      Options
    • AzraelKrieg
      AzraelKrieg
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭

A reasonable one. I and many others want weapon dying to make our weapons a silverish color akin to real life steel, but there are also those out there with the intent of creating glow sticks. Most dyes in the game are already a subdued color with few exceptions (Blademaster's Muave), but to reduce neon blades further a system already implemented in armor dying can be applied. Currently, each dye applies differently to different material types. This can be tweaked to subdue colors on weapons, preventing rainbow raves in Cyrodiil and other locations.

I believe the only person that had an issue with weapon dying was Paul Sage. Thankfully he isn't heading up the dev team anymore and Rich Lambert is more open to suggestions.
      Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
      Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
      Options