The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Exploiters selling their cheap mats and getting rich

• Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's quite brilliant to see honest players turned into mouth-frothing, witch-hunting mobsters simply because they're crying foul when foul play happened.

I for one would just like to see ill-gained mats removed from the exploiters' inventory.
    Apparently the referees can't do that.
    An official statement saying just that, along with the exact consequences one might expect to suffer should the same case arise again, would sort of make things right.

Foul play happens in all games, that's all right.
    Condoning it isn't - for the sake of the game itself.

I've made my case, but won't fuel the argument here again.

Grumpy Orc out.

PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • Manpoints
    Manpoints
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Ch4mpTW wrote: »
    @Turelus Hey brah! Hey! You put some respek on my name. Stop playing with my name. When my name comes up, respek it. Aight?

But no, seriously I just dislike witch hunt threads. That's all. You're fine, and good in my book. Lol. xD

I agree the witch hunt part of this is dumb and needs to be over.

I would like a thread to continue a rational and calm discussion about players expectations of ZOS/ESO rule enforcement going forwards though. Which sadly gets far too derailed because of the bickering over opinions.

As one players voice, I would like to see a tightening of rules or at least a standard to be set, too many 'exemptions' being allowed, too many permanent bans for silly stuff like character name or use of naughty words. Makes you feel like its not what you do but who you are that determines your punishment for things.

*edit for spelling*
    Edited by Manpoints on May 4, 2016 12:03PM
    GM of Potato Syndicate, (Gone' Casual) ---- I'MZ A GOD!
    GM of Mi Amor Libre Spanish ERP ---- Shadilay
    Manpoints - Templar // Womanpoints - DK // Abopoints - NB // Manepoints - NB // Sexypoints - Sorc // Hermann Purring - DK // Browniepoints - Templar // Tigger SMB - Templar // Affirmative Actionpoints - DK // Sha Bipoints - Sorc // Hughe Mungus - DK // Rachel Dolezol - Warden??
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sadownik wrote: »
    It's extremely redundant and frightfully embarrassing watching some of you froth at the mouth about this? You are not a ZOS employee so let them take care of it. It's like a mob mentality, burn the monster. You don't understand you are not in charge this game doesn't belong to you, you are renting the rights to play it. You may think your opinion or shouts to hold people accountable in mean ways holds weight but you are wrong. It's a game get over it. Go play stop trying to be the police. Find something useful to talk about. This isn't a democracy it's a business a private business with rules you agreed to. Pathetic.

You know the witch hunters are coming for you too now, right? And you too will be labeled as an exploiter, and someone who is defending exploiting. Even though your post doesn't do or show any of that. You do know this, correct?

Also, there's nothing we can do except for wait for threads like these to be locked and deleted. People like you and I and numerous others can try to talk some logic and sense into people, but unfortunately people will ultimately do and think how they please. It's like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink." We can lead people to some sanity, and some logic... But, we can't make them accept and apply it.

You admitted yourself you were banned for using that exploit so i would say its a little different situation.

If you're going to say I admit something, let's be clear with each other. -I- did not exploit. I was one of the people who were caught by the script wrongfully. And I too was apologized to. Please have facts straight when addressing me. Was I banned? Yes. But, did I exploit? No.
    Edited by Ch4mpTW on May 4, 2016 12:16PM
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    I would demote exploiters to 160CP. Now THAT would be punishment. Keep the gold, and happy farming back to 501 :lol:

haha :DD

Or just a general rollback from the day they started exploiting.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such security system in the game that can identify who exploitet.
    If there is, innocent people wouldn't be banned.
    Good security is not cheap so yeah.

Also if there are 3 more exploits and they were all used by one acc, the acc would never get a perm ban, cause there is no proof of this abuse.

So a witch hunt is not possible and make no sense.
    Lets rename exploits into features for eso.
    Done.
    PTS-EU
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Volkodav wrote: »
    Who's getting rich?
    It's just ingame gold. Who cares who has a ton of gold even if I dont.
    I have always thought that it's silly to be upset at anyone else who has something you do not.In both RL or ingame.
    (having said that,I'm not a fan of exploitation of something like this.It can effect the ingame economy.)

Here is the problem... exploiters reap high financial gain, then can turn around and buy high level mats to craft the best gold gear... then go to PvP and run rough-shot over those players who cannot afford the highest level mats to make gold gear. Players with a ton of gold hold a significant advantage over players who don't... and it mostly impacts PvP performance but can also effect PvE... as in those able to craft the best sets are better able to complete high-level PvE content, while those who cannot afford it, are left in the dust.

I just said I dont go for exploitation of anything.Did you read the bottom of my comment?In parenthesis?:)
    BUT,.if you PvP and get massive amounts of gold from your efforts,why should I get upset if you have all that gold and I dont? This is what I was talking about.I wasnt saying anything else.
    If we want all that gold,shouldnt we have to work for it too,just like you did? I mean,why should I get upset because I wont get that gold gear you have because you have the money to either buy it or make it? All I should do is to work harder at my game so that I too can have what you do.If I want it that bad.
    Edited by Volkodav on May 4, 2016 1:50PM
  • EsoRecon
    EsoRecon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only recently heard of this exploit and am really confused as to what these "exploiters" were doing.
    Xbox One [ NA ]
    Gamertag - Zyzz II Legacy
    Stam Sorc & Stam NB PvP
    (I'm Just Here To 1vX)
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EsoRecon wrote: »
    I have only recently heard of this exploit and am really confused as to what these "exploiters" were doing.

in short using an oversight with the banking assistant to reuse the surveys add infinitum to gain loads of gold tempers and matts to sell. the thread is about the fact the gold an mats are still on those players accounts and in guildstores
    Edited by lathbury on May 4, 2016 1:23PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EsoRecon wrote: »

@EsoRecon

I won't give you the details of how as it's against the rules, but I'll explain what they gained.

There was basically a way to farm all the nodes in a survey report without consuming the survey, then being able to use the same survey again. This with a little effort you have infinite double yield nodes to farm as much as you wanted.

This was going on for about a month before it hit public forums and was shut down. As to how much it was used and by how many only ZOS will know.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny how two people who claimed they were banned over this. Didnt get unbanned until the 72 hours was over. Now they are in here screaming at everyone about how they should just drop it. Of course they want you to drop it. They have made millions of gold and dont want ZOS removing it.

These same people next time wont even think twice about exploiting. There is no real punishment. To me strip everything from the account. All gold, all mats, all gear everything. You dont have to completely start over but the punishment should be severe enough people wont use these exploits.

As of right now the worst that could happen exploiting millions in gold is a small slap on the wrist. Where is the deterrent?
  • Nacacia
    Nacacia
    I've not really seen gold item prices drop, in fact in some cases they seem to be increasing.

I actually undersell the market all the time for quick sales and I've actually raised my prices slightly in the last week because the market seems quite bullish at the moment.

Even if these people got 10,000 ore (or 500 golds each) it's likely that by the release of DB everything will be back to normal. If they are waiting to release their stash around the DB release it will just help people update their gear and still be back to normal in no time because demand will be so high.

There is another side to this that you've not considered as well. These people got all excited and purchased the crown store banker so they could perform this exploit expecting that it wouldn't be patched nearly as fast as it was. Because you had to have a banker, or buy a banker, chances are that it wasn't as vast a majority of the population as previous exploits have been.
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nacacia wrote: »
    I've not really seen gold item prices drop, in fact in some cases they seem to be increasing.

I actually undersell the market all the time for quick sales and I've actually raised my prices slightly in the last week because the market seems quite bullish at the moment.

Even if these people got 10,000 ore (or 500 golds each) it's likely that by the release of DB everything will be back to normal. If they are waiting to release their stash around the DB release it will just help people update their gear and still be back to normal in no time because demand will be so high.

There is another side to this that you've not considered as well. These people got all excited and purchased the crown store banker so they could perform this exploit expecting that it wouldn't be patched nearly as fast as it was. Because you had to have a banker, or buy a banker, chances are that it wasn't as vast a majority of the population as previous exploits have been.

not really you just had to know someone with it
  • covenant_merchant
    covenant_merchant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Kalebron
    Kalebron
    ✭✭✭
    Kalebron wrote: »
    Personally I think everyone in eso would "exploit" a node if it were to continually reappear each harvest if that opportunity would arise. I don't blame these guys for taking advantage of the situation. It is not like they made it happen using some type of hack. I am playing devil's advocate here because this really is not as big a deal as it is made out to be. Zos can only police the game so much.

They kinda did make it happen by using the same survey over and over. Dont act like this is something you could do just walking along minding your own business.

Mindlessly or not, word of mouth or not, it was an opportunity which the game provided. There really is not a difference in the scenario I provided and the one that happened with writs.
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think everyone in eso would "exploit" a node if it were to continually reappear each harvest if that opportunity would arise. I don't blame these guys for taking advantage of the situation. It is not like they made it happen using some type of hack. I am playing devil's advocate here because this really is not as big a deal as it is made out to be. Zos can only police the game so much.

They kinda did make it happen by using the same survey over and over. Dont act like this is something you could do just walking along minding your own business.

Mindlessly or not, word of mouth or not, it was an opportunity which the game provided. There really is not a difference in the scenario I provided and the one that happened with writs.

Well hopefully next time you guys take advantage of an "opportunity" you get permanently banned for it.
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    We've removed several posts that were personal attacks or were not constructive contributions to the discussion. Please remember the forum rules and refrain from posts that are not relevant to the topic.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Kalebron
    Kalebron
    ✭✭✭

Well hopefully next time you guys take advantage of an "opportunity" you get permanently banned for it.

I was never banned. I did not take advantage of the situation because I did not know about it. I cannot say honestly that I would not have though. I think I would have mulled it over.
  • Shadowfx1970
    Shadowfx1970
    ✭✭✭
    long and incoherent rant...

1. Nobody forces you to click on these threads. If you're tired of them, ignore them.
    2. Part of the reason there is hostility is that exploiting culture is so rampant in ESO. I don't care about people having more gold or mats than me, what I do care is about fairness. When a multiplayer game, especially one with competitive aspects to it, stops feeling fair, people will rant. If it gets bad enough, people will leave. I know this first-hand, as I've quit PvP over the cheating there.

Yes it's unfair but more people are likely to leave or not play the game if they come to the forums and read thread after thread from angry holier than thou players who have never done anything wrong in their whole entire lives *cough* trying to persecute and stone a few people who took advantage of something and were punished.

giphy.gif

Most players don't even know about the forums, let alone come here. And so what, should we take anything that happens with a stoic patience so we won't scare away some players? As for your “holier than thou” argument... You can shove it. I don't want to drag people through the mud, I just want ZOS to send a clear message that exploiting is not tolerated. So far, they've failed miserably at that.

giphy.gif

I'd rather be a whiner than a troll. If you don't care about this issue, you might as well not post. If you do, please do let us know your thoughts.

I already did on the several other threads about what happened, I don't think you're whining it's just many of you really don't understand the complexity of dealing with the issue, as was stated some people may have got a ban in error, some people may have bought some of those mats or have been given them how much time and effort should ZOS put into tracking down all the illegitimate mats and gold and to what cost just to keep a few people on the forums happy?

By all means have a moan but do we need x number on threads on the issue repeating the same old rhetoric?

They got rich - Ok but that money will get spent on what? Motifs those that sell them will be happy.
    They got extra mats - Ok but they either sell them cheap so the buyer gets a bonus.
    They will ruin the economy - No not enough people exploited to even make a slight difference to the economy.

I wasn't trolling you and I wouldn't tell you to shove it either as you felt necessary to tell me thus the tear gif, but it's a fact no adult today is innocent of doing something wrong but many are claiming they are so honest, perhaps we should give out halos.

I just feel there are more important things to worry about.
    Edited by Shadowfx1970 on May 4, 2016 2:26PM
    I went outside once, the graphics were awesome but the gameplay sucked
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    We've removed a few more posts that were missed in our last scan. Once again, keep your posts relevant to the topic!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Nobody forces you to click on these threads. If you're tired of them, ignore them.
    2. Part of the reason there is hostility is that exploiting culture is so rampant in ESO. I don't care about people having more gold or mats than me, what I do care is about fairness. When a multiplayer game, especially one with competitive aspects to it, stops feeling fair, people will rant. If it gets bad enough, people will leave. I know this first-hand, as I've quit PvP over the cheating there.

Yes it's unfair but more people are likely to leave or not play the game if they come to the forums and read thread after thread from angry holier than thou players who have never done anything wrong in their whole entire lives *cough* trying to persecute and stone a few people who took advantage of something and were punished.

giphy.gif

Most players don't even know about the forums, let alone come here. And so what, should we take anything that happens with a stoic patience so we won't scare away some players? As for your “holier than thou” argument... You can shove it. I don't want to drag people through the mud, I just want ZOS to send a clear message that exploiting is not tolerated. So far, they've failed miserably at that.

giphy.gif

I'd rather be a whiner than a troll. If you don't care about this issue, you might as well not post. If you do, please do let us know your thoughts.

I already did on the several other threads about what happened, I don't think you're whining it's just many of you really don't understand the complexity of dealing with the issue, as was stated some people may have got a ban in error, some people may have bought some of those mats or have been given them how much time and effort should ZOS put into tracking down all the illegitimate mats and gold and to what cost just to keep a few people on the forums happy?

By all means have a moan but do we need x number on threads on the issue repeating the same old rhetoric?

I wasn't trolling you and I wouldn't tell you to shove it either as you felt necessary to tell me thus the tear gif, but it's a fact no adult today is innocent of doing something wrong but many are claiming they are so honest, perhaps we should give out halos.

This is not about moral superiority, otherwise any general rule could be dismissed as such. Frown upon stealing? Get off your high horse! Don't approve of ***? Yeah, because you're SO goody yourself. It's a cop-out and doesn't advance the argument one bit. I told you to shove it for that reason and because you came here with your idiotic memes (such as the one on your post I replied to) as if yours is the only valid position. I realize there are people who don't agree with me, but I'm not calling for an end to discussion because they are wrong and I'm right. Again, you might feel enough has been done. I do not.
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS messed up royally and they fixed it. The issue is over. The market will work itself out. There is no "right price" or "right amount" for anything in the market in the first place. There was an influx in supply in some things for a while. It happens. The market has changes from time to time. It's not a reason to break out pitchforks for crying out loud.
  • Shadowfx1970
    Shadowfx1970
    ✭✭✭

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

This is not about moral superiority, otherwise any general rule could be dismissed as such. Frown upon stealing? Get off your high horse! Don't approve of ***? Yeah, because you're SO goody yourself. It's a cop-out and doesn't advance the argument one bit. I told you to shove it for that reason and because you came here with your idiotic memes (such as the one on your post I replied to) as if yours is the only valid position. I realize there are people who don't agree with me, but I'm not calling for an end to discussion because they are wrong and I'm right. Again, you might feel enough has been done. I do not.

Wow you really are an angry person aren't you, try reading my post without the attitude and you might actually see my point. I see yours I truly do but really do we have to go on about every day?
    Edited by Shadowfx1970 on May 4, 2016 2:42PM
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Wow you really are an angry person aren't you, try reading my post without the attitude and you might actually see my point.

Why am I angry? Because I don't find memes a constructive debate skill? Because I disagree with you?

I'm not angry. If anything, I'm sad. Sad that ZOS can't enforce their own rules in a way that deters cheating. This issue with the surveys in particular means nothing to me, to be honest. I already have more gold than I can spend and almost a full stack of each gold improvement mat. It's what it does to the game. I've quit PvP because for two months I put my heart in it and had every bit of fun and enjoyment sucked out of it by cheaters. Many others have done the same, before and after me. If cheating becomes OK (and a 3-day ban with no other consequences tells me it's kind of OK IMHO) then I can see myself dropping the game entirely. I hope that day is a long way off, but that's why I care and that's why I post.
  • Shadowfx1970
    Shadowfx1970
    ✭✭✭

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Wow you really are an angry person aren't you, try reading my post without the attitude and you might actually see my point.

Why am I angry? Because I don't find memes a constructive debate skill? Because I disagree with you?

I'm not angry. If anything, I'm sad. Sad that ZOS can't enforce their own rules in a way that deters cheating. This issue with the surveys in particular means nothing to me, to be honest. I already have more gold than I can spend and almost a full stack of each gold improvement mat. It's what it does to the game. I've quit PvP because for two months I put my heart in it and had every bit of fun and enjoyment sucked out of it by cheaters. Many others have done the same, before and after me. If cheating becomes OK (and a 3-day ban with no other consequences tells me it's kind of OK IMHO) then I can see myself dropping the game entirely. I hope that day is a long way off, but that's why I care and that's why I post.

My apologies I was probably a little harsh and I understand the frustration, those that work hard to get what they need shouldn't be undermined by those that feel it's ok to cheat.

I did try to find the comment I made about stealing from players by using exploits in another thread but I think the thread was removed.

I also apologise if I came off as a troll that was not my intention.

I know it's no excuse but I have to deal with some very ignorant ill informed people in my work and today was a bad one, I should have had a coffee and chilled out a bit before coming on the forums.
  • Jaybe_Mawfaka
    Jaybe_Mawfaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anybody explain me what the actually was bugged that some people earned alot of gold tempers?
    sv38.png

edited to remove profanity
    Edited by ZOS_DaryaK on May 4, 2016 3:58PM
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone ask @ZOS_RichLambert why they decided to proceed the way they did on this issue with a 3 day band and still tons of the mats and temper?
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

My apologies I was probably a little harsh and I understand the frustration, those that work hard to get what they need shouldn't be undermined by those that feel it's ok to cheat.

I did try to find the comment I made about stealing from players by using exploits in another thread but I think the thread was removed.

I also apologise if I came off as a troll that was not my intention.

I know it's no excuse but I have to deal with some very ignorant ill informed people in my work and today was a bad one, I should have had a coffee and chilled out a bit before coming on the forums.

Yeah, I had a kind of knee-jerk reaction to your replies, so apologies for that as well. We're all good, even if not in agreement ;)
  • clayandaudrey_ESO
    clayandaudrey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It stinks of favoritism. It looks suspiciously like someone got caught that ZOS can't or won't punish. It is impossible to slap one hand and be harsh with the others so everyone got a slap.

This has totally been a disheartening event imo. Look at the number of people saying they will take advantage next time. It will drive the game down quickly. ZOS should have known better than do it this way.
    Edited by clayandaudrey_ESO on May 4, 2016 3:07PM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Next time watch they go all the way to the other side and perm ban everyone heh. Its like that with them. There is no grey area. Its either all white or all black hehe.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kasa-obake wrote: »
    I say don't stop till every filthy exploiter has been perma-banned and all their ill-gotten goods have been seized and donated to the community, and all of us honorable and upstanding citizens have been provided additional compensation for moral damage.

Nothing should be transferred to or given to those who abide by the rules. Any items removed or seized by an MMO company should remain out of reach of everyone forever. This is better for the economy (gold sink!) and doesn't cause even more arguments and drama for people getting goods others didn't.

As for perma bans, once again I will say a strike system (temp, then perma) is fine if (and that's a big if) the materials are removed in some way. Otherwise it tells everyone to exploit the first time for your goods then be good afterwards.
    Next time watch they go all the way to the other side and perm ban everyone heh. Its like that with them. There is no grey area. Its either all white or all black hehe.

Apart from that one time a Dev told us bypassing the scroll gates whilst they were up was a grey area.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."