Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Vicious Death and State of PVP

Therium104
Therium104
✭✭✭
This is not that hard to comprehend. Some classes are better designed for burst and small group play. Primarily Nightblades. The combo currently being used includes proc det and vicious death to wipe much bigger groups and is essentially ruining pvp. People are currently just quiting cyrodil because it is stupid and pointless.

I have no idea where the devs get information but frankly PVP is a frigging ness. Classes are unbalanced. Ridiculously unbalanced. NB is still extremely overtuned. Templar is jacked up broken now. How can this game be out for this long and so jacked up.

Look... At no point should numbers no longer impact pvp. The premise behind these changes is frigging stupid and just favors the OP classes. At least the lower champion point players could find strength in numbers. Or the classes that are not broken OP could find success working as a team. Think about what these changes mean.

An OP nightblade should not also be able to wipe out much bigger groups. I know. It was unfair they could not take on 10 people at one time. [snip]

[edited for flamming]
Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on April 2, 2016 3:14PM
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but it seems the motive behind adding VD was to reduce the lag in Cyrodil via splitting up Zergs. However, what it's done is make IC group content (notably Arena and I'd imagine Sewers as well) horrendous as ~9/10 times I die in Arena group fights is because of at least one 10-14k VD. I haven't even noticed a decreased amount of Zergs in or large-scale fights in Cyrodil.
  • LBxFinalDeath
    LBxFinalDeath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Numbers still impact pvp.

If you have 50 players on your side against 10.

You will win still if you're all spread out and not all foaming at the mouth spamming gap closers at the same target which is common for zergs to do as I'm sure you know.

Now Vicious Death gives that group of 10 a fair shot if the zerg all gap closes to the same target and the small group can burst down at least a few of the opposing larger group.

My problem is that in most cases its the group of 50 running VD against small groups of sub 5 players constantly unless the fights at a highly contested siege.
  • Apoxsee
    Apoxsee
    ✭✭✭
    Have the magic users in your group slot Phoenix if your going to ball up... Problem solved.
  • Weng
    Weng
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion ZOS introduced vicious death and proxy det not in order to reduce zerging, but to reduce the number of damage calculations.

Formerly, there was the impulse, bat swarming zerg. The abilities were spammed and included a dot component that caused lots of calculations. The solution is to introduce timed aoes and aoes that trigger only once, but with a huge damage output. Here you have your timed proxy det and triggered vicious death.

The side effect is that this allows for perfectly timed aoe attacks and triggering huge aoe damage by killing a single player. Unfortunately this abuses the purpose of a nightblade to focus single persons in a group and bring them down, because this triggers one of the biggest aoes in game with vicious death. If you ask me, ZOS accepted this problem in favor of reduced damage calculations for the whole server.

And I assume that the majority of players play magicka builds, so the majority flocks to proxy det and vicious death. Otherwise I don't know why stamina builds didn't get the same "treatment" (yet).
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭

You will win still if you're all spread out and not all foaming at the mouth spamming gap closers at the same target which is common for zergs to do as I'm sure you know.

Now Vicious Death gives that group of 10 a fair shot if the zerg all gap closes to the same target and the small group can burst down at least a few of the opposing larger group.

My problem is that in most cases its the group of 50 running VD against small groups of sub 5 players constantly unless the fights at a highly contested siege.

AT NO POINT SHOULD A GROUP OF 10 PLAYERS WIPE 50. THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF UNBALANCED. It also favors a few classes and builds that were already grossly OP at the expense of the majority of paying customers.
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭
    Do the devs have any idea how poorly designed NB are from a balance perspective. Almost all there abilities have multiple positive effects. As a magic DK I need to slot upwards of three abilities to get the same effect as one NB ability and they take no penalty to offense. They can spam very high damage instants that take no skill. Even ambush is stupid easy mode. Now the NB continue to slot easy mode high damage burst and for a single kill can do AOE of 14k due to VD that is equalivalent to most ultimates and stacks. It is so stupid.

I have never played a game this unbalanced after the amount of time released. Now templars apparently ignore the damage reduction in Cyrodil. Now Devs. It is not okay for Templars to be broken because you seem incapable of nerfing Nightblades.

All you have to do is compare abilities and it is obvious the game is jacked up. 9
    Edited by Therium104 on April 2, 2016 4:23PM
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Therium104 wrote: »

AT NO POINT SHOULD A GROUP OF 10 PLAYERS WIPE 50. THAT IS THE DEFINITION OF UNBALANCED. It also favors a few classes and builds that were already grossly OP at the expense of the majority of paying customers.

Why not? What if the group of 50 consists of a bunch of stacking scrubs that don't even know what other abilities there are except steel tornado and if the 10 players are a highly coordinated group with dedicated roles and very good communication? Scrubs should get rekt by good players, not win because they are with more.
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • croakroach
    croakroach
    ✭✭

A small group of well coordinated players with optimal builds and superior tactics should absolutely be able to take out a larger group of players that are not of the same caliber; that's PvP in any game.
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭
    croakroach wrote: »

A small group of well coordinated players with optimal builds and superior tactics should absolutely be able to take out a larger group of players that are not of the same caliber; that's PvP in any game.

The only reason they can is due to a lack of balance my little snowflake. Sure. Stacking 10 OP broken NB might work but it is not balance.

You all confuse skill and "caliber" with a combination of champion points and the unbalanced pacifier ESO keeps shoving in NB mouths. It does not take rocket science to realize PVP is broken. You just need a IQ over 10 and the ability to read numbers.
    Edited by Therium104 on April 2, 2016 4:28PM
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only reason they can is due to a lack of balance my little snowflake. Sure. Stacking 10 OP broken NB might work but it is not balance.

You all confuse skill and "caliber" with a combination of champion points and the unbalanced pacifier ESO keeps shoving in NB mouths. It does not take rocket science to realize PVP is broken. You just need a IQ over 10 and the ability to read numbers.

Okay. So why again should a smaller elite group not be able to take out a larger scrub pug group?

By the way, there is one very easy solution to all your problems:

STOP STACKING.
  • croakroach
    croakroach
    ✭✭
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭

Okay. So why again should a smaller elite group not be able to take out a larger scrub pug group?

STOP STACKING.

Dude. The reason you can is because the game is not balanced. A group of 10 NB can be elite while a group of 10 Magic DK cannot because I promise you due to poor game design the NB will be much more successful.

Again. You are confusing skill with the easy mode sandwich ESO has given you scrubs for the past year. At what point does killing players by spamming the A and B button in 2 seconds bring up the red flag something is wrong. Oh I forgot it takes skill to spam the A button. My bad.... lol. Now add on VD and your spamming kills 10 people. Balanced!!!
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭

STOP STACKING.

Dude. The reason you can is because the game is not balanced. A group of 10 NB can be elite while a group of 10 Magic DK cannot because I promise you due to poor game design the NB will be much more successful.

Again. You are confusing skill with the easy mode sandwich ESO has given you scrubs for the past year. At what point does killing players by spamming the A and B button in 2 seconds bring up the red flag something is wrong. Oh I forgot it takes skill to spam the A button. My bad.... lol. Now add on VD and your spamming kills 10 people. Balanced!!!

The fact that groups can be wiped with VD and proxi det is not caused by the skill of the player using it indeed, it's caused by the incompetence of the groups. It's so easy to avoid. Groups don't think and don't adjust. That's why they get punished with one big explosion that melts their hp bars ;)

• Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭

STOP STACKING.

The fact that groups can be wiped with VD and proxi det is not caused by the skill of the player using it indeed, it's caused by the incompetence of the groups. It's so easy to avoid. Groups don't think and don't adjust. That's why they get punished with one big explosion that melts their hp bars ;)

WTF....................
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

STOP STACKING.

WTF....................

I'd like to take this time to remember how good the game was when we had soft caps.
    Tome of Alteration Magic I - Reality is an Ancient Dwemer Construct: Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps

Tome of Alteration Magic II - The Manual of the Deceiver: A Beginner's Guide to Thieving
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/462509/tome-of-alteration-mastery-ii-the-decievers-manual-thieving-guide-for-new-characters

Ultrawide ESO Adventure Screenshots - 7680 x 1080 Resolution
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/505262/adventures-in-ultra-ultrawide-an-ongoing-series
  • bicketybam
    bicketybam
    ✭✭
    What makes matters worse is that the 2, 3 and 4 piece bonuses of VD are actually good. You don't sacrifice much at all to put on this OP armor set. And it includes jewelry! I play a stamina DK and have little to no desire to go back into Cyrodiil or IC. I can't even reflect a freakin' comet any more.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZoS has caught the stealther bug. Where they will never under any circumstances nerf nightblades to the point where other classes are, and will never bring up the other classes to their caliber. It happened in oh so many MMOs and it seems it is happening here as well. SWTOR dejavu all over again.
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to avoid getting rekt bomb: Stop stacking, spread out a bit, and hit block. It's amazing how many people simply don't block.

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • Sk000tch
    Sk000tch
    ✭✭✭

You really don't know what you're talking about.

First off, mag DK kicks ass this patch, just seems not many have figured it out yet. NB are what they've always been, l2p... slot radiant and harness, spread out and quit bitching.

Its true that VD has changed the game, but it succeeded in countering much of what we have been complaining about. And while PvP has changed a lot, its not all due to VD. The siege buff, barrier nerf, rapids nerf, forward camps, and change to CP trees have had equally large effects.

It was worse before. An elite 24 man group was unstoppable, but the nerfs to mitigation, healing and maneuverability have changed that. You could have a whole faction of PUGs defending a keep and they would be powerless against a tight group with sequential 25k barriers spamming rapids and timed proxies. Now, mobility is totally ***, everyone has proxy, VD drops so frequently that anyone can get it, and any scrub with 1800 AP can set up siege and be a legitimate threat.

• T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    unless you are magicka build and running VD then pvp is a joke. As a stamina build I'm rapidly losing interest in pvp, so yes I could respec like everyone else has to majicka..... thanks but no. I thought the idea was to be able to play the game how you want to, not how everyone else is.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Therium104

Dude, don't be such a hater. I get it...Saturday morning walk of shame...some Nightblade ganked you last night and you're all upset. Give it a rest, the sun is shining, it's a new day and your toon lived to fight another day. But to address your concerns:

1. Vicious death is open to all classes. It's senseless to ask to nerf a specific class because a set is killing you.

2. VD is a magic set. Range kill magic builds will rule this set. Honestly, a magic Templar or Sorc would be more lethal than your dreaded NB. I'd sit in stealth and crystal frag at your Zerg, personally.

3. In my experience on both sides of the NB equation, their "overpoweredness" is mostly "you don't play well against them." Almost every time I've been killed by a NB has been because I didn't watch my back, I didn't use my sneak well and I gave them an opening. That's their class, and you're not getting killed because they're OP - you're getting killed because you walk around out of stealth and they find you, surprise you and kill you.

4. There's a solution to both your VD problem and the NB problem. (Ha ha...did the dev team stop to consider we'd all be calling Vicious Death "VD" for short? Was that on purpose?? Watch out for VD...it's a killer. Lol). Anyway, get your sore little butt down to the respec shrines or make some enchants and amp up that health. Players have gotten lazy, and everyone is using cookie cutter builds with 17-20k health. So guess what? The dev team used an update to offer a set that destroys those builds. Adapt...or die.
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zyle wrote: »
    How to avoid getting rekt bomb: Stop stacking, spread out a bit, and hit block. It's amazing how many people simply don't block.

What you L2P crowd don't understand:

Sure, you can avoid stacking some. But there's no way to stop or even know that the one-shottable wonder resto-staff newbie behind you was too close, or that he even died until you take 16K damage.

This set is kind of terrible, but it's far from the worst or most miserable thing about PVP (lag).
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    T@rty wrote: »
    unless you are magicka build and running VD then pvp is a joke. As a stamina build I'm rapidly losing interest in pvp, so yes I could respec like everyone else has to majicka..... thanks but no. I thought the idea was to be able to play the game how you want to, not how everyone else is.

This I can agree with. Stamina is left behind while magicka gets all the bombing fun.
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭
    T@rty wrote: »

This I can agree with. Stamina is left behind while magicka gets all the bombing fun.

The point is something like this should not be in the game for either magic or stamina.
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭
    Sk000tch wrote: »

First off, mag DK kicks ass this patch, just seems not many have figured it out yet. NB are what they've always been, l2p... slot radiant and harness, spread out and quit bitching.

Its true that VD has changed the game, but it succeeded in countering much of what we have been complaining about. And while PvP has changed a lot, its not all due to VD. The siege buff, barrier nerf, rapids nerf, forward camps, and change to CP trees have had equally large effects.

It was worse before. An elite 24 man group was unstoppable, but the nerfs to mitigation, healing and maneuverability have changed that. You could have a whole faction of PUGs defending a keep and they would be powerless against a tight group with sequential 25k barriers spamming rapids and timed proxies. Now, mobility is totally ***, everyone has proxy, VD drops so frequently that anyone can get it, and any scrub with 1800 AP can set up siege and be a legitimate threat.

Lol.. you are clueless. Denial is a good thing my little snowflake. Keep sucking the ESO easy mode *** but be kind of honest. At least try? Nah. You can't... can you :(
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that proxy det is enhanced by Tharmaturge, elemental expert lets it double dip in champion points. Combined with soul tether, influenced by the same 2 CP stat mods make it stupid quick burst. If you want a fun experience in pvp try the non CP ones. It allows more skillful play and numbers definitely matter.
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol.. you are clueless. Denial is a good thing my little snowflake. Keep sucking the ESO easy mode *** but be kind of honest. At least try? Nah. You can't... can you :(

Well that was the greatest constructive comment I've seen in a while.

I like this situation much more than the old situation when the winming faction always consisted of ballgroups. Once upon a time, someone invented ballgroups to bust zergs as an organized team... Then, like with anything else in this game, the ballgroups turned to the dark side and actually became the ones zerging. That *** was so horrendous. Nothing except for another ball group could stop them, but that always turned into a lagfest nightmare when two ballgroups clashed. Now a single player can jump in and wipe 10+ people :D
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭

Well that was the greatest constructive comment I've seen in a while.

I like this situation much more than the old situation when the winming faction always consisted of ballgroups. Once upon a time, someone invented ballgroups to bust zergs as an organized team... Then, like with anything else in this game, the ballgroups turned to the dark side and actually became the ones zerging. That *** was so horrendous. Nothing except for another ball group could stop them, but that always turned into a lagfest nightmare when two ballgroups clashed. Now a single player can jump in and wipe 10+ people :D

Yes, organized and compeitive pvp is a bad thing. Right..... Lets just make it so one class (NB) can spam a few buttons and steam roll teams. It is a great idea!!!
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After playing alot of PVP this week the PVP is straight broken. If it wasn't for the fact I love Elder Scrolls and that the PVE is not bad I would be gone
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »
    The fact that proxy det is enhanced by Tharmaturge, elemental expert lets it double dip in champion points. Combined with soul tether, influenced by the same 2 CP stat mods make it stupid quick burst. If you want a fun experience in pvp try the non CP ones. It allows more skillful play and numbers definitely matter.

The incompetenceof the devs (which is epic) and the constant crying of OP snowflakes has made it so compeitive and skill based pvp is NOT at the end game.... lol

If ESO truly wanted balance then damage of specific classes would be reduced. Starting with NB. How about giving players time to react. Block and dodge roll. Instead you have grossly OP classes dropping players in seconds with no skill. In fact damage would be normalized but oh no. We can't have that. Lol

Add on VD and any skill, tactics, or team play got flushed down the toilet.