Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Veteran Maelstrom Arena Drop Rates

LegendaryArcher
LegendaryArcher
✭✭✭✭
- 70 runs

Voriak Solkyn chest:

- 38x helmets (!!!), more than half of them well-fitted
- 10x random gear
- 9x jewelry, 8x with Healthy trait
- 9x daggers
- 2x 1h mace
- 1x 1h axe
- 1x 1h sword

Never seen a Destruction Staff, Healing Staff, 2h Maul or Bow.
Lots of time invested in a *** solo arena instead of spending time having fun with friends in dungeons and trials, because the weapons do make a huge difference when it comes to DPS. It's not a minor buff for the min-maxers. Still no guarantee I will ever get any of those. It's like I'm still at day 1 trying my luck. 70 runs for nothing.

Gave up. Dropped ESO Plus subscription and won't purchase any more Crowns until effort and invested time are rewarded.
Edited by LegendaryArcher on April 2, 2016 1:17PM
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates
  • LegendaryArcher
    LegendaryArcher
    ✭✭✭✭
    (found how to edit the first post, delete this pls)
    Edited by LegendaryArcher on April 2, 2016 1:10PM
  • LeifyEric
    LeifyEric
    I think I have completed 10 runs of the arena and 7 of those I got a Maelstrom weapon. Not too sure on what exactly they were. From what I remember, I got 2 bows, 2 2Hers, at least 1 resto, and maybe a 1H & S. So my drop rate is 70% based on my 10 runs. I think after I completed my 6th run, 5 of the 6 times I got a weapon drop.
  • LegendaryArcher
    LegendaryArcher
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeifyEric wrote: »
    I think I have completed 10 runs of the arena and 7 of those I got a Maelstrom weapon. Not too sure on what exactly they were. From what I remember, I got 2 bows, 2 2Hers, at least 1 resto, and maybe a 1H & S. So my drop rate is 70% based on my 10 runs. I think after I completed my 6th run, 5 of the 6 times I got a weapon drop.

:'(

Well, definitely happy for you though. :)
  • LegendaryArcher
    LegendaryArcher
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I really the only one bothered by this? I understand that only <1% can complete vMA in the first place, but doesn't the fact that IF you complete it you get absolute *** bother you?
  • Humphie
    Humphie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of corse it does. This place is horrible and I am only doing it for weapons. Anyone who likes doing it lies! :D

And it sucks a drop isn't garuanteed. Don't care for the set pieces that drop, I want weapons.
  • Ichnaea
    Ichnaea
    ✭✭✭✭
    - 70 runs

Voriak Solkyn chest:

- 38x helmets (!!!), more than half of them well-fitted
    - 10x random gear
    - 9x jewelry, 8x with Healthy trait
    - 9x daggers
    - 2x 1h mace
    - 1x 1h axe
    - 1x 1h sword

Never seen a Destruction Staff, Healing Staff, 2h Maul or Bow.
    Lots of time invested in a *** solo arena instead of spending time having fun with friends in dungeons and trials, because the weapons do make a huge difference when it comes to DPS. It's not a minor buff for the min-maxers. Still no guarantee I will ever get any of those. It's like I'm still at day 1 trying my luck. 70 runs for nothing.

Gave up. Dropped ESO Plus subscription and won't purchase any more Crowns until effort and invested time are rewarded.

Are you getting on the weeklies as well? I started doing vMSA on 3 different characters, only once a week, after about 20 runs a week. I don't care much for the drop rate of finishing it on it's own...because it's terrible. The guaranteed weapon from weekly reward is what I strive for, and honestly it's still [snip]. I had run it religiously for about 2 months and I still don't have a permafrost chest, any permafrost jewelry, 2H Sword, or any Destro.

I have since quit ESO as of about a week ago, so unless they fix a lot of broken [snip], there's no incentive to come back. RNG, BOE vs BOP, class balance, FPS drops, latency/crashes all need to be fixed before I'll come back.

[Edited to remove Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on May 24, 2021 2:42PM
    AD
    Mishi - V16 Wood Elf Nightblade
    Zach Vane - V16 Imperial Nightblade
    Clara Bonny - V16 Breton Templar
    Sherman Bradley - V16 Imperial Templar
    One Knight Standard - V16 Imperial Dragonknight
    Unemployed Merlin - V16 High Elf Sorcerer
    Ice Hinged Mice Elf - V16 Dunmer Dragonknight
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I really the only one bothered by this? I understand that only <1% can complete vMA in the first place, but doesn't the fact that IF you complete it you get absolute *** bother you?

Im bothered by this as well.
    The difficulty is fine, but I dont understand why would they make this kind of content less rewarding than grinding mobs. Drop rate on inferno staves seems to be extremely low, and yeah, well-fitted trait seems to be the most common.
    Even if weapon drop chance would be 100%, there would still be rng for the type and trait. But at least, that would encourage people. Now I feel like I'm wasting time hoping to get that inferno staff.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be cool if you got a token when you decon a weapon and you could exchange your tokens for a different weapon. But if they did that, I wonder if people would rage because they already deconed their unwanted weapons and didn't get tokens from that.
  • LegendaryArcher
    LegendaryArcher
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, today I thought to myself, maybe those 70 runs were just a bad streak... some people are getting 9 weapons in 10 runs... quite a few based on this thread. Maybe the 71st run is gonna be different...

Well:
    E7jbSs8.jpg

Sorry ZOS, if you want my money, you have to work for it! I have enough lying around here willing to spend on ESO, since I really love the Elder Scrolls universe in general. So far, I have never felt so good and proud cancelling a subscription in my entire life and would encourage everyone getting *** over by Maelstrom to do the same! And if I could return all the Crown Store purchases I made during last year, I would.
    Edited by LegendaryArcher on April 3, 2016 3:46PM
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how they think this rng+rng crap will keep players playing, when infact it has the reverse effect, unless your some weird masochist.

I gave up trying to get perfect daggers and bow. I got 2x precise destro's from weeklies which i'm happy with, but always, and i mean always defending bow/daggers, wtf.

My weapon drop rate from end chest was abysmal.
    Edited by Shader_Shibes on April 3, 2016 4:02PM
  • llllADBllll
    llllADBllll
    ✭✭✭
    Precise Bow on my first ever complete.....Shame I'm a Magicka Templar. I'll be running more runs this week now I've finally cracked the hellhole that is Valkyn Skoriak. I'll come back after 10 runs with results. RNG is garbage hopefully some of the Threads started about Trading and Token systems gain some momentum.
    CRAFTMASTER - DAGGERFALL EU XBOX ONE

GAMERTAG - DJANTBOWMAN

Tamriel Trading Company Guildmaster
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I can understand your frustration, I'm also struggling with msa drops (talking to you pesky bow) but you honestly need to pull yourself together man. Why is everyone around here so full of anger and despair.
    And by the way if you are doing it just for the reward you are doing it are wrong.
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On my second run I got my 2h sharpened mace. On my 4th run I got my precise bow. Now that I got the weapons I need, I don't feel the need for doing the arena anymore
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sAnn92 wrote: »
    And by the way if you are doing it just for the reward you are doing it are wrong.

Why exactly? Some of the rewards are BiS items, and some people enjoy minmaxing their chars as much as possible. :)

PC/EU
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, random rewards and chance etc is a thing of the past, token or point system please or I wont go near stuff like vMA or trials.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Ichnaea
    Ichnaea
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, today I thought to myself, maybe those 70 runs were just a bad streak... some people are getting 9 weapons in 10 runs... quite a few based on this thread. Maybe the 71st run is gonna be different...

Well:
    E7jbSs8.jpg

Sorry ZOS, if you want my money, you have to work for it! I have enough lying around here willing to spend on ESO, since I really love the Elder Scrolls universe in general. So far, I have never felt so good and proud cancelling a subscription in my entire life and would encourage everyone getting *** over by Maelstrom to do the same! And if I could return all the Crown Store purchases I made during last year, I would.

Welcome to the dark side. Now play whenever you want for free. Don't give them anymore money.
    AD
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also I noticed that some of mmo veterans, especially those who played Asian style mmos, developed some kind of Stockholm syndrome with all the rng, rng on top of rng and rng on top of rng on top of rng and are very hostile to those who dont preach RNGesus... Just saying.

PC/EU
  • Anzriel
    Anzriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah RNG seems to be a toy ZOSE is growing more fond of. I guess you can't really blame them, but the VMA drop rate is pretty silly. Maybe they will see it as unpopular and at least adjust the odds upwards a bit in the future. I won't get my hopes up...
  • Ichnaea
    Ichnaea
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry. had to move this to its own post.
    Edited by Ichnaea on April 3, 2016 11:15PM
    AD
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sAnn92 wrote: »

Why exactly? Some of the rewards are BiS items, and some people enjoy minmaxing their chars as much as possible. :)

if you enjoy minmaxing deal with the grind. Don't come to the forums with some random biasd statistics wich represents nothing whatsoever. Chances are the same for everyone.

And the sentiment of my response was different, playing just for the reward is an awful predisposition. If Op would have tried to enjoy the arena, looking for ways to improve his score, maybe trying different builds or approaches he wouldn't be so frustrated with the results.
    Edited by SanTii.92 on April 4, 2016 7:45AM
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maelstrom weapons are given to me like candy on Halloween: 2 precise destros, 2 restos, 2 precise axes, 1 sword, 1 mace, 1 bow, 1 great sword sharpened, and 3 shields, + whatever weapon I got in the weekly rewards today.

Guess how many pieces of arcane succession jewellery I've gotten. 0
    Now guess what I'm actually trying to get...

RNG hurts, can blow through that arena in less than an hour, to get *** on by the last two chests.

And don't get me started on spell power cure from WGT 75+ runs and I have 1 piece.

Edit: And another thing!

I feel as if Maelstrom weapons are underpowered. Two Leki's dual wield with the weapon power enchant = 300 weapon power, 2 Maelstrom dual wield = 189 weapon power.

Nirnhorned staves > Maelstrom destro staves, and you can use it as a 1 piece to add to another set bonus. Also the wall of elements buff is STILL laughable. My Lightning flood still hits roughly double wall of elements.

Maelstrom Resto staves are a joke 400 magicka back IF regen crits, every 4 seconds. You make back about what the spell would cost to cast, if you are lucky. But that's over the full almost 20 second duration.

Maelstrom Axes' bleed consumes the buff to next DOT attack. Also refer to dual wield problem.

Maelstrom shield is restricted to the permafrost set, and has legit no unique buffs.

2Hs and Bows are the only ones I see as worthwhile, and bows really only so in PvE.

Master weapons kicked these's weapons asses.

So for those of you that don't have these weapons yet, don't worry they really aren't worth it. And thank you ZOS for giving us a "worthwhile" reward. AND making all the sets BoP so I can't even make back the cost of potions it takes to do this content.

/rant over.
    Edited by Jsmalls on April 4, 2016 12:18AM
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maelstrom weapons are given to me like candy on Halloween: 2 precise destros, 2 restos, 2 precise axes, 1 sword, 1 mace, 1 bow, 1 great sword sharpened, and 3 shields, + whatever weapon I got in the weekly rewards today.

RNG hurts, can blow through that arena in less than an hour, to get *** on by the last two chests.

And don't get me started on spell power cure from WGT 75+ runs and I have 1 piece.

I feel as if Maelstrom weapons are underpowered. Two Leki's dual wield with the weapon power enchant = 300 weapon power, 2 Maelstrom dual wield = 189 weapon power.

Nirnhorned staves > Maelstrom destro staves, and you can use it as a 1 piece to add to another set bonus. Also the wall of elements buff is STILL laughable. My Lightning flood still hits roughly double wall of elements.

Maelstrom Resto staves are a joke 400 magicka back IF regen crits, every 4 seconds. You make back about what the spell would cost to cast, if you are lucky. But that's over the full almost 20 second duration.

Maelstrom Axes' bleed consumes the buff to next DOT attack. Also refer to dual wield problem.

Maelstrom shield is restricted to the permafrost set, and has legit no unique buffs.

2Hs and Bows are the only ones I see as worthwhile, and bows really only so in PvE.

So for those of you that don't have these weapons yet, don't worry they really aren't worth it. And thank you ZOS for giving us a "worthwhile" reward. AND making all the sets BoP so I can't even make back the cost of potions it takes to do this content.

/rant over.

Funny that you think the staves suck and that WoE is laughable. Wrobel ended up being right, now things really do melt in Wall of Elements!
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »

/rant over.

Funny that you think the staves suck and that WoE is laughable. Wrobel ended up being right, now things really do melt in Wall of Elements!

Lightning flood tooltips at 3400 (not counting the 10k+ synergy) while WoE is at 1800, even adding in the extra 1200 per weave you're not even matching the damage on lightning flood and thats not taking into consideration that lightning flood lasts 2 seconds longer. Not quite sure why I would make the change... But I've been wrong before so I'll try it.

Granted WoE has a larger area of effect, but I can place lightning flood across an area.
    Edited by Jsmalls on April 4, 2016 1:58AM
  • LegendaryArcher
    LegendaryArcher
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last 5 Maelstrom runs today. Not a single Maelstrom weapon.

I'm done with it 100%. I've put a message of the day in my trading guild explaining why ESO Plus is a ripoff and why they should cancel their subscription. Let's see if we can get ZOS to make a move. It's a long shot, but if enough people cancel their subscriptions, maybe we'll achieve something.
    Edited by LegendaryArcher on April 4, 2016 10:15PM
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

/rant over.

Lightning flood tooltips at 3400 (not counting the 10k+ synergy) while WoE is at 1800, even adding in the extra 1200 per weave you're not even matching the damage on lightning flood and thats not taking into consideration that lightning flood lasts 2 seconds longer. Not quite sure why I would make the change... But I've been wrong before so I'll try it.

Granted WoE has a larger area of effect, but I can place lightning flood across an area.

You're capable of stacking them, and it's not that hard to work into a build.
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Spearshard
    Spearshard
    ✭✭✭✭

/rant over.

I think the point they're trying to make is that for a long while now, even with the destro staff, WoE just isn't worth the cost to cast. It's expensive, weak and too short a duration.
  • agro2014
    agro2014
    ✭✭
    Stopped doing vMA because tired of getting trash from last boss. I think Veteran Maelstrom arena quest reward needs to be changed - adding a coffer with purple v16 Maelstrom weapon available once per week (like in old trials) would be nice for people who can't manage to get into weekly leaderboards.
  • LegendaryArcher
    LegendaryArcher
    ✭✭✭✭
    Veteran Maelstrom Arena isn't dropping any weapons from the last chest. At all. Over the last 20 runs. Not a single weapon.

Maelstrom weapons are only accessible through weekly leaderboard, which, again, is only accessible to cheaters or a few excellent players that already have a Maelstrom weapon.
  • Samphaa
    Samphaa
    ✭✭✭
    Spearshard wrote: »

/rant over.

I think the point they're trying to make is that for a long while now, even with the destro staff, WoE just isn't worth the cost to cast. It's expensive, weak and too short a duration.

You realise they buffed it quite a lot this last patch and is now, more often than not, the top source of damage on a combat log of the top tier raiders. It certainly isn't weak.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've beaten it a few times and have since been too bored with it to continue the grind. Admittedly I still need weapons though, and I plan to go back in and get them. Question: weapons are only guaranteed for LB spots right, and not from the chest? The chest can contain anything, but not guaranteed to have a weapon?
This discussion has been closed.