Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can't play a Dunmer DragonKnight ...

maciopa
maciopa
✭✭✭
Hey gals and guys,

I have created a Dunmer DragonKnight following Deltia's direction -> the build's codename is "laceration" but ... she is weak, squishy and based on that - I have abandoned the game. It is a magicka build with a restoration staff. The character is lvl 6 but struggles to survive any game contest (she started in Almeri Dominion).
Is it me (I do not feel the class??) or the class itself is hard to play (as it lacks any survivability in pve)? The other 3 classes are easy-peasy :) the sorcerer being the easiest and the fastest leveler (for a total greenhorn).
It was such a terrible game experience so I decided to create a NB in her stead (and let her there ) unless I find a solution...

Any hints/tips/comments?
  • strikeback1247
    strikeback1247
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're only level 6, you don't have any skills or anything yet :P Just keep playing and get more abilities.
    P.A.W.S. - Positively Against Wild Sasquatches - NO TO BIGFOOT!
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    @strikeback1247 heh the problem is that the class seems to be unplayable for me, not suited to solo anything.
  • NinjaMyk
    NinjaMyk
    ✭✭✭
    You have no build at lvl 6 all characters feel that way to begin with especially as you won't have champion points. If you missed the starter island as well the mobs will be over levelled and seem hard to kill. Check your journal and make sure you complete your lowest lvl quests first
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a joke lol, lvl 6 and you cant solo, ummm, I.....just.....dont....know....what....to....say. :o
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    @Reevster you seems to miss a point - in my opinion a DragonKnight should be wearing heavy armours and donning a 2h sword, in Deltia's build it is a restoration staff and light cloths.

My DragonKnight is on the starter island and she is 2 lvl higher than npces there, but still unable to solo them.
    1st skill - fiery grip - pulls an enemy to me, 2nd skill - some kind of armor with spikes etc - all those skills are meant for close combat, how am I supposed to kill anything with a restoration staff in close combat?
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The DK is a hard class to solo, period. Primarily due to lackluster self-healing at all levels. There's a reason the DK leaderboards for vMA are the least populated.

The DK is a hard class to play the early levels with because it lacks self-healing and AoE, and your class's main spammable damage ability (whip) doesn't come until fairly late.

But what these people say is correct, too: At level 6, there is no "build". You don't start worrying about builds until much later. Builds matter much later when you've unlocked various passives, gained access to varying gearsets, etc. Now is not the time to follow some build video. Now is the time to experiment, and try out everything and get to know your class.

For example, in the early game, you should wear a mix of all three armor types, but have more heavy pieces. Why? Because until you unlock the various armor passives, there is no differentiation between them (other than heavy granting more armor rating). Later on, if you're a caster, you need light armor because the light armor passives. But at level 6, you don't have any of the armor passives unlocked, so none of that matters. Just wear something of each type so that you can start to level up your armor trees and get those passives.

Anyway, if you want an easy early game, go Templar. Your class's main spammable attack is accessible at the very beginning--the very first ability in Aedric Spear. Your main form of self-healing is Puncturing Sweeps morph of that same ability. Your AoE attack is, again, that same ability. Spammable attack, self-heal-on-attack, and AoE, all wrapped neatly in one ability that you get at the very start of the game.

A nightblade mage is probably the second-easiest in the early-game. Your class's main spammable attack (Strife) is accessible at the get-go and also does a self-heal-on-attack. You got 2 of the 3 covered. You lack AoE, though, and while you do eventually get a very nice AoE (Sap Essence), you won't get it until much later in the game.

Sorcs are very OP in the end-game, but in the early game, they are almost as difficult to play as a DK. Their one saving grace are their pets, which can help you a lot in the early game.

Anyway, I've never watched whatever this "Laceration" video you refer to. But I would not start the early game with a resto staff unless you're a Templar or a nightblade mage. You need a spammable damage ability, and since the sorc and DK classes don't have one available in the early game, you need to get that spammable damage ability from your weapon--that means a destro staff (fire, ice, or lightning--as a Dunmer DK, you should use fire), not a resto staff.
    Edited by code65536 on March 20, 2016 1:29PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maciopa wrote: »
    @Reevster you seems to miss a point - in my opinion a DragonKnight should be wearing heavy armours and donning a 2h sword, in Deltia's build it is a restoration staff and light cloths.

My DragonKnight is on the starter island and she is 2 lvl higher than npces there, but still unable to solo them.
    1st skill - fiery grip - pulls an enemy to me, 2nd skill - some kind of armor with spikes etc - all those skills are meant for close combat, how am I supposed to kill anything with a restoration staff in close combat?

Problem is heavy just isnt that good at higher lvls, light is better for magic build , run 5 light and 2 heavy or 1 med 1 heavy if you think you are ever going to unlock the undaunted passives. Or just run 7 light as I do with my magic DK, I have lvled up a Sorc,NB, Templar to VR16 and I can tell you my Dark Elf DK is which i am working on atm is killer with flame staff AoEing trash mobs .

Ya it was a bit hard early on but not that bad really. Use a 2hder sword to help you get through those early lvls then Detro staff on one bar and restro on second if you feel you need it, i run a detro on one bar and 2 swords on the other at VR12 , once you unlock "inhale" you can self heal really well when AoEing.

2 swords give you more spell power then one destro staff so you should have 2 swords to lvl up Dual Wield as well but you dont need to unlock any of the skills/passive except the last passive which you need lvl 41 Daul wield and then lvl 50 dual wield.

Also get heath potions for when you think your getting too low on heath, pop open a heath potion , you should already have a hotkey for potions if not make one.

Edited by Reevster on March 20, 2016 1:59PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't attack things with the Resto... thats for healing ffs.

Get a desto staff, use whip or anything for dmg. Don't just sit there and hit with a resto light attack.

This game's pve has been made so easy and people still complain they can't do it.

Get dragon blood to heal, get some dots from the ardent flame tree, root things with talons etc...

It's not hard.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get searing strike, level it up to lvl4 and morph it into burning embers. When fighting apply it to an enemy, and anytime you need a heal, apply it to the same enemy again. This should give you a decent heal and keep you alive.

And as others said - there is no build at level 6. Use whatever weapon you fancy, and a mix of all 3 armor types (so all three armor skill lines receive experience and level up).
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all. I appreciate your time and efforts to answer. I did what you proposed and voila :) stashed my resto staff. :)
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    class and race have nothing to do when low level, you have NO race passives unlocked, meaning your race is only about the look at that low level, and your class have maybe 1 or two skills unlocked, and have nothing to do with why you die, since the scaling of those skills are at base dmg only. If you struggle, find some heavy armor to put on. No need for light or medium this early, since none passives are unlocked. Then you will benefit more from pure armor.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    My problem was with having a resto staff wielded and cloth armours in every slot. as @leepalmer95 wrote, I shouldn't use that staff at all and grab something else in that stead. I did and the game moved forward. I also donned more heavy armours, leaving one piece of light and medium, as you suggested. Thank you.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My problem was with having a resto staff wielded and cloth armours in every slot. as @leepalmer95 wrote, I shouldn't use that staff at all and grab something else in that stead. I did and the game moved forward. I also donned more heavy armours, leaving one piece of light and medium, as you suggested. Thank you.

You can use that but only at lvl 15 for your weapon swap, just turn in quests on your resto bar (when your lvl 15) to level it up.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been leveling up a Magicka DK, and currently she's at level 46. I've been able to solo everything. You do need to wait a long time for all of your class and weapons skills to be accessible. I slotted everything as Ardent Flame abilities except for one Earthen Heart and one Draconic power to ensure that my Ardent Flame got maxed out quickly, so I got my Whip early. Definetly slot the healing morph of Stonefist or the shield from Earthen Heart for sustain, and then an ability from Draconic Power for experience, and the rest Ardent Flame until you get what you need from it.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    @Totalitarian thanks for tips!
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deltia is a pvp player ...many of these popular twitch streamers are pvp players, who post builds for maxed levelled characters. If you are low level, then it's best to ask in the forums or when you reach lvl 30-40 then go check out tamrielfoundry for inspiration.

All solo builds and gear for low level characters should be based around dps/ survival, the specific roles such as healer/ tank/ damage dealer is for when you start doing group dungeons. I recomend that you wait with group dungeons, untill you feel you are confident with your class and have chosen a specific role, and geared up for it. For now just explore, quest and enjoy solo content.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Deltia's builds are always so unbalanced and only aim to achieve one particular thing.

Try to figure out whats best for your own style because Deltia magically has a new vr16 every other video it seems haha with the sole purpose of doing one or two things.

For example, his high dps stamina build that hits really hard yes and its great everyone just looked at the damage numbers he was doing against a boss he was fighting from a distance and that wasn't hitting him back. No footage against mobs or a boss that really requires resource managment. The build had pathetic stamina regen and max health that heavily relied on his team mates aiding him but it isn't visible in the video.

Long story short, Deltia in particular's builds arent so great in my opinion and are heavily unbalanced. Dont give up on the character though if you're squishy just use heavy armour or 1h shield until youre more comfortable
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

At level 6 you are nothing.Not until you get some good skills under your belt.No one comes into the game without being squishy.All classes and races are babies until around level 10 or 12.
    Give your poor character a break and help them develop before you kill them off.
    Edited by Volkodav on March 21, 2016 1:18PM
  • maciopa
    maciopa
    ✭✭✭
    Gals and guys, thank you for your input. I did as suggested and it turned out she is my highest lvl char right now (remember that I am an altoholic ;) ).
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's how I play my Dunmer DK...some of the skills you can get at first are simply placed on your bar to help level those skill lines then replaced later.

5 light armor - chest, head, shoulders, gloves, belt
    2 heavy armor - legs and boots

Bar 1 - Fire staff
    Bar 2 - Restoration staff

At first I stuck to the destruction staff using Destructive Touch and Wall of Elements as my main attacks.

I took Fiery Grip, used it occasionally to pull in an enemy then knock them away with Destructive Touch. In this line I took Searing Strike to replace Firely Grip...what I really wanted in this line was Fiery Breath, Lava Whip and maybe Inferno for times I want a little extra crit.

I took Spiked Armor to use, and I still use it, when several mobs get too close. Dark Talons I use to lock down mobs that try to overwhelm me. Dragon Blood is a good self heal especially when used after Obsidian Shield since Obsidian Shield's morph Igneous Shield, "The shield also gives Major Mending, which boosts the affects of your healing abilities by 30% for 7 seconds."

I took Stonefist mostly because I wanted skills in that line later on like Molten Weapons, Obsidian Shield and Ash Cloud.

Restoration is my second bar and I started leveling it around level 7 or so manually swapping out skills but at first keeping some of the bar 1 skills on so the bar wasn't empty and I could keep leveling those skills until I was able to unlock all the restoration staff skills I wanted.

That was my plan with my Dunmer DK who is currently lvl 31, I also have a Veteran Rank16 heavy armor DK tank that's magic based so its pretty easy for me to switch skills, replace the heavy armor with 5 light/2 heavy and use staffs as a pretty deadly fire mage/healer.
    Edited by Jennifur_Vultee on March 21, 2016 2:43PM
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dk was my fourth toon I started nb then Templar sorc now dk. As a dk with 2 years of ESO experience it's easy mode. That said its not a solo class for new ppl. Templar is the best solo class I have played at all levels of the game. I feel very comfortable solo with a dk with resto then sword and board at 15. Get talons then whip whip neh neh. If you go Destro use destructive reach to knock npc's then talons them repeat. Morph to choking to reduce damage. Drink trash health pots. Mutagen for constant hot. You should be ok.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.