The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Would you be willing to rollback to 1.5?

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    A qualified yes.

Basically, I would like to still see the positive changes to skill lines and what not retained. It would be easier to simply explain what I miss from "pre-1.6" than to try to explain what I would want to add to 1.5.

Prior to 1.6, everyone could roll dodge a decent amount. Stam builds had an advantage, but players learned to regularly roll and block while avoiding red circles and such. Doing so gave ultimate points.

While you could stack a stat like spell power or max health, the diminishing returns from soft caps meant that there was more room to try different arrangements/play-styles, so there were many builds even though a few deemed the most powerful (a.k.a. robes, sword and board, resto staff) were very common. ZOS even used to feature different builds, though this started happening less often and hasn't been done since October 2015. Plus because thing like spell damage/weapon damage were blended in gear and in the stats for staffs, stacking in one area was even harder.

There were problems of course, like magicka builds perpetually block-casting, and pain-trains, etc, that people wanted to end. Some called for making it easier to stack a single type of damage, and some went further asking for the removal of soft caps. These changes would supposedly fix the problems players were concerned about then.

The result was 1.6/2.0, wherein lots of strengths were nerfed and you had to earn them back via Champ Points. But taking away the old caps and letting stats stack easier made damage skyrocket/TTK implode in PvP and allowed builds with features such as "infinite dodge-roll". That was great for Bow users in PvP, but the players #%$#ed about it so the solution was to nerf damage for everyone in PvP and nerf dodge-rolling for everyone in the game. That pattern - nerfing many or all players to try to "balance" what 1.6 unleashed - continues even now.

The imbalances created by 1.6 and the subsequent "fixes" (and "fixes of the fixes") have spread into skill lines of all types and other areas. DPS is king. Healers are somewhat necessary but shouldn't be allowed to impair the damage too much, and tanks are mostly needed in PvE for trials and *some* group dungeon bosses. Otherwise, just load up on DPS (and maybe a hybrid DPS/healer) and burn, baby, burn.

There was no balancing system like boons/banes included with the Champ Trees, nor a "getting strong over here makes you weaker over there" caveat. You just get more bad-ass in all areas the more Champ Points you get, so why not invest in damage done and damage mitigated? Just stand in the red and do insane damage and if you get a little low get topped off by a burst heal.

So what I would like to see when I say "Yes" to a return to pre-1.6:

- make damage stacking much more difficult and require sacrifice so that a pure DD is more dependent on players with other roles, a true glass cannon if you just want to stack damage over all else

- make healing/support more essential and varied, give more ways to buff/debuff and to keep allies alive; but this only works in concert with other changes, don't just make healing/support harder or more complicated in the current system

- make tanks more relevant again, make them stand out, make them the staunch warriors who still do much less damage but who lead the charge and help to control the battlefield via mitigation and extreme crowd control; make people fear getting close to tanks, not because a tank has lots of damage, but because they can lock you down until their allies arrive to finish you off

- encourage/allow MORE ROLES on the battlefield in PvP via new gear and skill lines

Thank for reading.

Edited by tinythinker on February 29, 2016 4:15PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    My answer doesn't matter since I'm already transitioning to another game, but anything would be better than the mess we've had since IC.

Where ya headed?
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • mchermie
    mchermie
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Yes, but I would rather go back to 1.6 with dynamic ult regen
    Retired
    NA DC
    K-Hole
    McHermie NB - AR 42
    McHermes DK - AR 18
    Lord Typh Templar - AR 11
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    2.2 sucks. So did 1.5. At least as much. 2.2 only seems to suck more because we're experiencing it right now.
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its so wierd with the lag too. Lag now is worse but abilities go through, 1.5 lag was better but no abilities worked so no one died.

What even is that?
    Vehemence -- Commander and Raid Lead -- Tri-faction PvP
    Knights Paravant -- Co-GM and Raid Lead -- AD Greyhost

• Millerman34n
    Millerman34n
    ✭✭✭
    yes
    I would like 1.6 with dynamic ultimate and no cp! But I'll take 1.5 any day!
    Edited by Millerman34n on February 29, 2016 8:35PM
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Hell no. Stamina was completely useless back then.

There's a lot of nostalgia at work here. Sure, there were some elements that were nice, but as far as I can recall, I actually found PvP to be a lot LESS enjoyable back in the first few months of 2015 than it was, even with the lag, in the post-1.6 world.
    Satiar wrote: »
    Its so wierd with the lag too. Lag now is worse but abilities go through, 1.5 lag was better but no abilities worked so no one died.

What even is that?

Exactly. Like, at least now while my FPS is crap and everything is rubberbanding all over the place, my abilities actually hit enemies and work. I remember having 25 people fighting over a resource and literally just spamming every ability I could, nothing ever happening for a full five minutes, then half the raids got hard D/Cs and suddenly everyone else was just dead.

No thanks, I don't wanna go back to that.
    Edited by Ixtyr on February 29, 2016 8:41PM
    Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
    Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
    Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    ---
    Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
    Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
    Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
    Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
    Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
    ---
    The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
    ---
    Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ixtyr wrote: »

It was only useless, because ZOS never took the time to fix it right.

Stamina builds could have easily existed alongside magicka builds pre 1.6, with the inclusion of stam based class abilities and heals like vigor etc.

There is some nostalgia, but the game was undeniably better.
    Edited by OdinForge on February 29, 2016 8:51PM
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Kwivur
    Kwivur
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    I would like to roll-back. I think I've demanded it a few times in random threads. lol.. I remember having fun pre 1.6.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »
    Nostalgia has a lot to answer for. Everyone just ran around with soft-capped hp, primary resourse and damage type, and nBs sucked *snore*

NB didn't suck, you just sucked.

stamblades sucked. Not everyone played a manablade. People like Krim did not represent all NBs
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    @Satiar did pretty well as a stamina NB at the time. That's not to say Zose couldn't have improved the situation by implementing the stam/mag divide that came in 1.6 without adding all the other changes that jacked things up. Ultimately that's my issue with the way Zose's methods; rather than making regular minor changes to improve things they do infrequent major changes that aren't thoroughly tested & where the implications aren't considered.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No one had any idea how good siphoning attacks was.

• Kelleton
    Kelleton
    ✭✭✭
    yes
    soft caps ftw..bring in some build diversity.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Poxheart wrote: »
    @Satiar did pretty well as a stamina NB at the time. That's not to say Zose couldn't have improved the situation by implementing the stam/mag divide that came in 1.6 without adding all the other changes that jacked things up. Ultimately that's my issue with the way Zose's methods; rather than making regular minor changes to improve things they do infrequent major changes that aren't thoroughly tested & where the implications aren't considered.

and satiar did not represent all NBs either:D

that was not your point though, i just thought i would point that out. and no offence satiar:)
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    Poxheart wrote: »

and satiar did not represent all NBs either:D

that was not your point though, i just thought i would point that out. and no offence satiar:)

No worries lol.

I wasn't good enough to be famous back than either, it's why I took up zerging ;)

• Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Lol you think so? It was just not one button to kill but it was no where near useless.
    Edited by Soris on March 1, 2016 12:25AM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    Lol you think so? It was just not one button to kill but it was no where near useless.

not useless, but garbage compared to mana.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

For sorc? Yes maybe. All other 3 classes had viable roam and duel spec. I used to play stamplar and it was miles better than magiplar.
    Edited by Soris on March 1, 2016 2:50AM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

For sorc? Yes maybe. All other 3 classes had viable roam and duel spec. I used to play stamplar and it was miles better than magiplar.

you must not have tried a stamblade
  • djnapstyb14_ESO
    djnapstyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    no
    Softcaps got played
    EP FOR LIFE
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

I didn't but i fought with them. There were good stamblade builds out there and were pita on 1v1 fight. They used to use 2hand/dw or snb. Spam sparks and hit with the wrecking blow from stealth or animation cancelling with light+puncture+bash. When they spam sparks, you could not even hit them unless you had any aoe spell.
    DK build was similar but kinda hybrid like templar build. Even they had op celebrities like Lefty and Xsorus. Definitely not bad specs for roam and duel.

"Stamina builds were bad before 1.6" argument is just a myth. They were not bad. Not at all. They are now better though.
    Edited by Soris on March 1, 2016 4:48AM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I didn't but i fought with them. There were good stamblade builds out there and were pita on 1v1 fight. They used to use 2hand/dw or snb. Spam sparks and hit with the wrecking blow from stealth or animation cancelling with light+puncture+bash. When they spam sparks, you could not even hit them unless you had any aoe spell.
    DK build was similar but kinda hybrid like templar build. Even they had op celebrities like Lefty and Xsorus. Definitely not bad specs for roam and duel.

"Stamina builds were bad before 1.6" argument is just a myth. They were not bad. Not at all. They are now better though.

they were not fine. Sparks was hard to use, and meant that player would be less effective against ranged players. uppercut could be interrupted via crushing shock and made useless. and i dont care how good Xsorus or Lefty were with them, they do not represent the majority (no offense intended to them)

a shield stamblade would have their butts kicked in any confrontation with any half decent mana shield build, and DW was only good for sparks and hidden blade, one vulnerable to the commonly used reflective scales, and another that only worked on melee attacks. Stamblades were garbage, anyone that could make them work was a fantastic player.
    Edited by Cody on March 1, 2016 5:59AM
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

they were not fine. Sparks was hard to use, and meant that player would be less effective against ranged players. uppercut could be interrupted via crushing shock and made useless. and i dont care how good Xsorus or Lefty were with them, they do not represent the majority (no offense intended to them)

a shield stamblade would have their butts kicked in any confrontation with any half decent mana shield build, and DW was only good for sparks and hidden blade, one vulnerable to the commonly used reflective scales, and another that only worked on melee attacks. Stamblades were garbage, anyone that could make them work was a fantastic player.
    Agree to disagree. I have played with stamina/hybrid builds for 6 months straight in 1.4 and 1.5 on my templar and i was not a ganker. I fought many good stamina/hybrid builds on all classes and they were competitive in the hands of a skilled player. Of course some combinations needed buffs like stamblades lacking good class synergy with stamina builds such as blazing shield and dragon blood, but that doesn't mean they were utter garbage and unplayable.
    Also you could not take the majority/average players as the base of an argument because they suck anyways with every build. Look how much they buff the stamblades but still most people suck with it, only a handful of them is real threat. Sorry for saying this.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • kkampaseb17_ESO
    kkampaseb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    no
    I think your thread could be more elaborate. Going back to 1.5 means almost non-viable stamina builds, impenetrable reducing crit chance to 0 making several builds and class abilities useless etc.

So considering that, I would say no. However, if you keep today's balance and introduce soft caps that is another story.
    Edited by kkampaseb17_ESO on March 1, 2016 7:15AM
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no
    You cannot go back.
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    I prefer to have no stam regen while blocking, thank you.

If people could permablock again, tanks could tank with just Footman and Defensive Stance slotted while focusing everything else into making their build high dps.

I would like to see more skills that focus on resource management for tanks, so that if you want to mitigate damage, you have to combine gear with CP with skills to tank effectively, therefore disabling you from dealing damage (which you should not be focusing on).

DKs are ok with Earthen Heart passives.
    NBs tanks should get a buff in Leeching Strikes
    Sorcs tanks should get a buff in Dark Deal.
    Temp tanks should get a buff in Radiant Aura.

As for all the non tank roles:
    I don't think softcaps would be a good thing. Instead they should reduce or completely remove the damage modifier from max magicka/stamina.
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sorry this is entirely ***.

All I ever did was solo roam PvP every patch before 1.6. I only ever met 3 other players on the NA side that ran or experimented with stamina with any success. The only class before 1.6 that could sort of make a pure stamina build work was DK, and the only player I've ever seen doing that was Xylena, still vastly outgunned by every magicka build of the time. Jack had a decent non resto (bordering on hybrid) Temp setup going, but against a DW/Resto hybrid running sparks it was entirely useless.

Every other class would either have to run resto staff off-hand like I did with NB, and become more of a hybrid or become entirely glass with bow for 1-shots. Even as a DK with a pure stamina build, the top notch hybrid stam builds IMHO were still better anyway, stamina had no leg to stand on.

Edited by OdinForge on March 1, 2016 2:03PM
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no
    1.5 was great, and I really REALLY loved it, but in the greater sense of the game, it was not balanced.

In my opinion, 1.6 was excellent. It was the first time I felt playing all my classes (of both stam and magicka varieties) that I had viable options. Not sure on dynamic ult gen with 1.6, as the damage/TTK was insane.

I found Magicka DK competitive and challenging in 1.6 in HA, I want that back more than the easy mode facerolling of 1.5
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Airyus
    Airyus
    ✭✭✭
    yes
    Lag? What Lag?
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    OdinForge wrote: »

Sorry this is entirely ***.

All I ever did was solo roam PvP every patch before 1.6. I only ever met 3 other players on the NA side that ran or experimented with stamina with any success. The only class before 1.6 that could sort of make a pure stamina build work was DK, and the only player I've ever seen doing that was Xylena, still vastly outgunned by every magicka build of the time. Jack had a decent non resto (bordering on hybrid) Temp setup going, but against a DW/Resto hybrid running sparks it was entirely useless.

Every other class would either have to run resto staff off-hand like I did with NB, and become more of a hybrid or become entirely glass with bow for 1-shots. Even as a DK with a pure stamina build, the top notch hybrid stam builds IMHO were still better anyway, stamina had no leg to stand on.
    Most stamina builds except gank builds were more or less hybrids anyway. I meant stamina hybrids in there. I had hybrid templar back then with 2h skills for offence(and rally heal) and magicka for heals and shield and purify etc. So yeah that makes me hybrid.
    But it was an absolute beast build. Best build for duels and small scale ive played so far. Here is the picture of it, on 2h bar my weapon dmg was 209 with rally (without cyro buffs) Dk version was also more or less like this.
    qJLazbS.jpg
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]