Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Costumes: Some words of advice ZOS

• Sotha_Sil
    Sotha_Sil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    latest?cb=20140406072248
    Where did that one go ? some cool costume we should get :(
    Edited by Sotha_Sil on January 19, 2016 9:41PM
    Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! - Spells and incantations for those with the talent to cast them!
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me of this
    http://imgur.com/vZoW9fH
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, and here I thought ZOS was caving to some feminist outcry, when in reality the only reason they took our sexy armor away was so they could sell it to us via the cash shop. Well platyed ZOS, well played.
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Sotha_Sil wrote: »
    latest?cb=20140406072248

Yeah the wicked beard and moon forehead combination is a classic look!
    Just A White Line Nightmare

PS4 EU server
  • LBC_Demon
    LBC_Demon
    ✭✭
    I don't like the "sexy" look on the women or the men. We should be wearing armor. Fighting in a swim suit doesn't look right to me.
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMEN!! Keep preaching, maybe ZoS will finally hear us :wink:

I couldn't agree more with all the different views and ideas.

1: It would be nice if same costume looked different on males and females - yes, I know there are those who like to charge in with their obese male Orc in a wedding dress, but let's disregard that for now :tongue:
    2: A more equal distribution of male and female outfits - always add the same number of outfits for each gender.
    3: Make sure there's a balance of skimpy and "covered" costumes - again, for both genders.

Some have suggested making more bundles for costumes - and there are many who also want the ability to dye costumes. So here's an idea that kinda merges the two:
    Make the costumes available in two or more colours, or as bundles of three, where you can get the costume in three different colours. For example, with the newest purple Redguard outfit you could buy a bundle where it would be in purple, blue, and orange - and/or have the colours available separately as well.

Yes, I know many will argue that the reason ZoS aren't doing this now is because they want to be able sell re-textured versions of them in the future (like they do with pets and mounts). But what I suggest would be that they make "limited edition" costumes, that are a bit more fancy. Again taking the new purple Redguard outfit as an example, they could revamp it (like making it red/black with gold details, and maybe some extra bling), and then sell it for a fraction more than the original (like they do with mounts).

Just a bunch of thoughts :blush:
    Edited by NovaMarx on January 20, 2016 11:51AM
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LBC_Demon wrote: »
    I don't like the "sexy" look on the women or the men. We should be wearing armor. Fighting in a swim suit doesn't look right to me.
    And that's why I so would love to see "non-combat costumes"...

But... while fighting in a swim suit definitely doesn't look right, neither would swimming in full plate! Or going to a roleplaying "ball" event in blood-soaked leather armor. Or...
    And for those instances, costumes would be a good idea. And more costume options would always make things better because... choices.
  • jcasini222ub17_ESO
    jcasini222ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @MornaBaine . Always will point out the orc chest should have been moved to being a dunmer chest from a design perspective, right from go looking it I was wondering ZoS do you even lore.

Also maybe someone more knowledgeable but do these costumes use the costume slot I assume? I haven't bought any of the crown store costumes, I prefer dressing up in the lootable garments that can be laundered. There's some really cool stuff out there I just wish it was more manageable from an inventory/equiping standpoint.

And its truly dress up since if you choose to use the dropped garments it'll take up an armor slot. Would love that 'costume' slot expanded to every slot then individual garments can be sold crown store (if they so wish) but more importantly it'd make it a hell of a alot easier using the current dropped garments in game. Speaking of which I need to find a hat.... has anyone looted a hat yet?
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although i agree with what this thread is saying in principle. If this is about equality and sexism, then you shouldn't expect topless men. You just need to push for more "revealing" male attire apposed to going straight to a loin cloth.

And in doing so this is where imagination/inspiration breaks down. The options are pretty limited. male clothing isnt known historically for being "revealing". It is either open shirt, or sleeveless or both.Because men have objectified women for eons, but not often the other way round.

The only real exception I can think of is something like roman gladiator armor because the crowds use to like to see the blood and guts but it was also practical, and cheap.
    Gladiator_2.jpg
    (although hollywood has romanticized quite a bit since no doubt.) And this is likely the inspiration of the mercenary Armour we have now anyway.
    saw this picture and found it too terrible not to share it.
    depositphotos_50370513-Gladiator-in-armour-posing-over-grey-background.jpg
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want is to be able to dye a costume. Right now they lack any interest to me because I can not differentiate them with a dye job.

Semi-fail when dozens are running about Rawl Kha in the same outfit.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want is to be able to dye a costume. Right now they lack any interest to me because I can not differentiate them with a dye job.

Semi-fail when dozens are running about Rawl Kha in the same outfit.

Agreed that costume dyeing is VITAL! Give us an ETA ZOS!!!!! Also agreed that we NEED to be able to put the stolen clothing AND the disguises available via quests IN OUR COSTUME INVENTORY! It is ridiculous that this is only for crown store costumes and a few "special" costumes you get in the game. ZOS has SAID they are looking at doing this for us but it was a long time ago and they've gone silent on it since. This issue needs new attention!
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Recently, you gave us these:
    616ada03865b428535663a681e0f3268.jpg

df053cbbdf485465b1856a07da99ec8c.jpg

You certainly SHOULD have included THIS but did not:

gp_crwn_costume_rgfemalehigh_1x1.jpg

All of the above are supposedly Reguard CULTURAL clothing. They are not billed as "dancing girl" clothing, which they clearly are. Rather, you'd have us believe this is the sort of thing Reguard women just wear all the time. Um...okayyyy.... suuuure. :neutral:

Now, that might be okay BUT here's the concept art you put out for the upcoming MALE Redguard cultural clothing:
    97db68160963cfe3e8bba5e495249482.jpg

Now I actually think these are wonderful costumes. But here is my concern. [snip] PLEASE DON'T. Am I saying don't give females skimpy costumes? NOPE. I love them. But I want SIMILAR costumes for male characters as well! And I want them in EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBERS FOR BOTH SEXES. And those awesome male concept art costumes? I want FEMALE versions. Yes, I know female characters can wear them, just as males can wear the dancing girl costumes. Not good enough. I want to see elegant Redguard cultural costumes that are as modest and covering as the male costumes you are planning but specifically made for women.

In future, please make sure you offer all styles of clothing, whether skimpy or modest, in equal proportion for both men and women. [snip] What you've done so far has managed to be tasteful. But you've dropped the ball by not offering something comparable designed for male characters. Don't be those guys ZOS. We expect better of you.

OMG I want that black outfit!

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 29, 2023 6:55PM
    :trollin:
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yes, I would gladly buy new underwear! LOL But I would want it to actually replace the godawful undies we currently have.

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of my favorite videos.
    https://youtu.be/OTGh0EMmMC8
    :trollin:
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above are supposedly Reguard CULTURAL clothing. They are not billed as "dancing girl" clothing, which they clearly are. Rather, you'd have us believe this is the sort of thing Reguard women just wear all the time. Um...okayyyy.... suuuure. :neutral:

Now, that might be okay BUT here's the concept art you put out for the upcoming MALE Redguard cultural clothing:

Now I actually think these are wonderful costumes. But here is my concern. [snip] PLEASE DON'T. Am I saying don't give females skimpy costumes? NOPE. I love them. But I want SIMILAR costumes for male characters as well! And I want them in EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBERS FOR BOTH SEXES. And those awesome male concept art costumes? I want FEMALE versions. Yes, I know female characters can wear them, just as males can wear the dancing girl costumes. Not good enough. I want to see elegant Redguard cultural costumes that are as modest and covering as the male costumes you are planning but specifically made for women.

In future, please make sure you offer all styles of clothing, whether skimpy or modest, in equal proportion for both men and women. [snip] What you've done so far has managed to be tasteful. But you've dropped the ball by not offering something comparable designed for male characters. Don't be those guys ZOS. We expect better of you.

So right there with you!!!!

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 29, 2023 6:57PM

• joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    As suggested by @willymchilybily gladiator would be awesome! Historic or Hollywood it really doesnt matter because they both look amazing! :p

Wish they sold it. :'(

PS4 EU server
  • TheDracojan
    TheDracojan
    ✭✭✭
    Ancient Rome's senator costume for the imperium? Hmmm, not bad. But we need more costumes fit for combat! Gladiators! Eastern costumes! A BANANA COSTUME!!1!
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    ITS PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!

PS4 EU server
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ancient Rome's senator costume for the imperium? Hmmm, not bad. But we need more costumes fit for combat! Gladiators! Eastern costumes! A BANANA COSTUME!!1!

We are desperately in need of a banana costume. *nods*

I'm not so interested in costumes "fit for combat" because I kinda feel like that's what we have all the awesome armor in this game for. But costumes for the rest of "life" for those into tht aspect of things are really great and I so wish they would roll them out faster than they do!

• Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭

Now I actually think these are wonderful costumes. But here is my concern. [snip] PLEASE DON'T. Am I saying don't give females skimpy costumes? NOPE. I love them. But I want SIMILAR costumes for male characters as well! And I want them in EXACTLY THE SAME We expect better of you.

Sometimes things, are a little geared towards gender. it has NOTHING to do with being sexist. Just the way it is.

It's like saying its sexist to give a girl a barbie, or a boy a Gi Joe.....no, its not.....

"We" expect better than you? I personally think they did a great job, so hopefully that "we" is meant for other people. ...I really like the latest costumes. More skin FTW.

Usually to make the most money, with the least amount of effort = skimpy clothes for the ladies, and more badassy things for the men.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 29, 2023 6:56PM
    Tripped over my friends bra.....
    ..she is always setting booby traps!
  • Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is the sort of thing we want most i imagine...

72774-4-1453209974.jpg

6893.jpg

23337-1-1346302168.jpg

c30420343b27b82f604c58e5948293cb.jpg

67988-4-1437321841.jpg

and i even tossed in a male one:

20042-1-1341636949.jpg

They can make male sexy ones too...but the EXACT same as female costumes is silly, they need their own thing.

Rather not have dudes running around in thongs and pink corsets....

actually that would be pretty awesome....
    Tripped over my friends bra.....
    ..she is always setting booby traps!
  • phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So right there with you!!!!

Me too, the black outfit is great.

Costume dyes are a must.

I found myself going through the available costumes and trying to choose the "least worst" because endgame armor is almost universally ugly with the gigantic floating tassets and the costumes are pretty lackluster without the ability to personalize them with color changes.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope499 wrote: »

[snip]
    They're all horrible and I never want to see anything like them in ESO.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Hope499 That would actually annoy the hell out of me, I prefer ESO being pervy in a TES style and not the anime style Skyrim waifu mods. I don't mind skimpy and pervy costumes at all though,,

@MornaBaine ..those redguard cultural garbs for men you posted are awesome, now I really really really hope that they implement them as costumes Q_Q

Just in general I miss sexier and more manly costumes, and more of them. The more diversity, the better..
  • Kadoozy
    Kadoozy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sotha_Sil wrote: »
    latest?cb=20140406072248

Or at least the beard. I hope this barbershop they are working on has more than just the default character creation choices. give us some manly beards ZOS. The only choice we have now is trimmed or wild bushman.
  • Kadoozy
    Kadoozy
    ✭✭✭✭

That's kinda cringy and way too TERA in my opinion. I would rather keep it closer to lore and not asian fantasy.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now I actually think these are wonderful costumes. But here is my concern. [snip] PLEASE DON'T. Am I saying don't give females skimpy costumes? NOPE. I love them. But I want SIMILAR costumes for male characters as well! And I want them in EXACTLY THE SAME We expect better of you.

Sometimes things, are a little geared towards gender. it has NOTHING to do with being sexist. Just the way it is.

It's like saying its sexist to give a girl a barbie, or a boy a Gi Joe.....no, its not.....

"We" expect better than you? I personally think they did a great job, so hopefully that "we" is meant for other people. ...I really like the latest costumes. More skin FTW.

Usually to make the most money, with the least amount of effort = skimpy clothes for the ladies, and more badassy things for the men.

The pics you posted are quite frankly horrifying tho I suppose they'd be ok as underwear replacements. 'Cause I REALLY HATE the current underwear! lol But yes, I stand by what I said in my OP. Providing skimpy outfits for female characters and not for males IS sexist. I also said I didn't expect them to NOT sell skimpy outfits for females. In fact I'd be disappointed if there were no such options. So you may need to re-read my post in order to understand what I am driving at.

Now you say it makes sense to give the males modest clothing and the females skimpy because that's what sells. I believe you are wrong and that more skin baring costumes for males would sell just as well as the female ones. And even if it were true it does not relieve ZOS of the obligation to do better.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 29, 2023 6:56PM

• MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Variety of costumes is great, but to offer revieling clothes only/mostly for female characters is dull.

I'm not even big fan of revieling armour, wouldn't want to get the arrow to the boobwindow. Costumes is another thing. I would be first to buy some more skin for my hairy handsome khajiit dude.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heh, I'm envisioning something like a kilt with nothing more than a few straps over the torso. That'd take some crowns from me! I really hope we do see a lot more in all directions with costumes, think we have puh-len-tee of combat gear available already though. Just please, please zos, do not go the route of locking these costumes by gender or having drastic alt appearences. My argonian likes to feel pretty too!
    Edited by KochDerDamonen on January 21, 2016 7:03AM
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Calandrae
    Calandrae
    ✭✭✭✭

Most of those look absolutely ridiculous. I can't even disapprove with a serious face, because they are simply too corny. But if ESO would publish something like that, I personally would take my euros and playtime elsewhere.