Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Costumes: Some words of advice ZOS

MornaBaine
MornaBaine
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Recently, you gave us these:
616ada03865b428535663a681e0f3268.jpg

df053cbbdf485465b1856a07da99ec8c.jpg

You certainly SHOULD have included THIS but did not:

gp_crwn_costume_rgfemalehigh_1x1.jpg

All of the above are supposedly Reguard CULTURAL clothing. They are not billed as "dancing girl" clothing, which they clearly are. Rather, you'd have us believe this is the sort of thing Reguard women just wear all the time. Um...okayyyy.... suuuure. :neutral:

Now, that might be okay BUT here's the concept art you put out for the upcoming MALE Redguard cultural clothing:
97db68160963cfe3e8bba5e495249482.jpg

Now I actually think these are wonderful costumes. But here is my concern. [snip] PLEASE DON'T. Am I saying don't give females skimpy costumes? NOPE. I love them. But I want SIMILAR costumes for male characters as well! And I want them in EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBERS FOR BOTH SEXES. And those awesome male concept art costumes? I want FEMALE versions. Yes, I know female characters can wear them, just as males can wear the dancing girl costumes. Not good enough. I want to see elegant Redguard cultural costumes that are as modest and covering as the male costumes you are planning but specifically made for women.

In future, please make sure you offer all styles of clothing, whether skimpy or modest, in equal proportion for both men and women. [snip] What you've done so far has managed to be tasteful. But you've dropped the ball by not offering something comparable designed for male characters. Don't be those guys ZOS. We expect better of you.

[edited for bashing & minor inappropriate content]
Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 29, 2023 6:53PM
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yes, I bought it!
    belacanvas_zps51xqiqji.png

• Jumper45
    Jumper45
    ✭✭✭
    Zena Warrior Princess yo.
    “All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!
    Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons!” (Portal 2)

17 Years MMORPG Experience healing and I still havn't figured out why people stand in red circles.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumper45 wrote: »

Would totally be down with some Xena goodness! LOL

xena-xena-warrior-princess-2531233-800-643.jpg

452412.jpg

You know...as long as we can ALSO have....

70baeb80-657a-4970-be8b-942a5c42dac4.jpg

article-2577003-1C2627E300000578-221_634x421.jpg
    Edited by MornaBaine on January 13, 2016 3:29PM

• freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    Jumper45 wrote: »

70baeb80-657a-4970-be8b-942a5c42dac4.jpg

article-2577003-1C2627E300000578-221_634x421.jpg

Sorry edited the quote to leave only the best bits........

*tries to stop drooling! >:)

When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more.

And I'm sure there are a lot of guys here that would love to run around with a costume that let them show the tattoos on their chest.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes, absolutely YES! Skimpy for both, covered for both, please! Don't go down the Tera route.

I know men like sexy female attire to look at. We girls like sexy male attire to look at too. :)
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I've not yet seen any concept art even for IMPERIAL costumes which is surprising since you've already released Imperial City DLC. Might I suggest...

cf899b225d901df0b573ed408444d50c.jpg

6b3be9e2918ac1a571180d913254f0df.jpg

MV5BMTk2NDc0MTQzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

tumblr_lu0x6l6XyA1qi5uyeo1_250.jpg

745dcdc3fa747e71df948bfd5e2415df.jpg

SPARTACUS-articleLarge.jpg

• Twilix01
    Twilix01
    ✭✭✭
    Oh here we go again, calling ZOS sexist, people did the same thing when they changed the original redguard light armor and orc heavy armor to be more practical and not revealing.
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twilix01 wrote: »
    Oh here we go again, calling ZOS sexist, people did the same thing when they changed the original redguard light armor and orc heavy armor to be more practical and not revealing.

That was likewise a really bad call.

• joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Do they have to be sexy all the time?
    Just A White Line Nightmare

PS4 EU server
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joker0137 wrote: »

Nope. My whole point is that we need BOTH modest and sexy options for BOTH men and women.

• Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well for the Xena Option

Screenshot_20160113_174123.jpg

Close if you ask me...
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well for the Xena Option

Screenshot_20160113_174123.jpg

Close if you ask me...

True for the top, not for the bottom. There are no Xena-esque "skirts" in game. Though I swear, if they add high heeled boots I will throat punch somebody. LOL

• joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    joker0137 wrote: »

Nope. My whole point is that we need BOTH modest and sexy options for BOTH men and women.

Yeah, we need bad-ass costumes for ripping bad guys apart and looting dungeons and something smart and formal for the nice walks around the cities.
    Also something formal might prevent the guards from eyeballing me me while a loot the city blind x :p

PS4 EU server
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I've not yet seen any concept art even for IMPERIAL costumes which is surprising since you've already released Imperial City DLC. Might I suggest...

I would buy most of these.
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about that last guys outfit at the bottom there @Islyn
    I wouldn't want to pay to much for that because the guy is half naked and its not a full outfit! :p

PS4 EU server
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at some pics in this thread, I'm coming to conclusion that we don't really need more different male costumes. What we need is an option to toggle shirt off so everybody can be happy.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »
    Looking at some pics in this thread, I'm coming to conclusion that we don't really need more different male costumes. What we need is an option to toggle shirt off so everybody can be happy.

LOL Well you CAN just take the Chest off and for just RP I suppose that would work. But cistumes designed with bare chests for men WOULD be nice! :)

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You certainly SHOULD have included THIS but did not:
    gp_crwn_costume_rgfemalehigh_1x1.jpg
    Likely kept it back for a february release. Three female options three male options... would have preferred a male and a female per m0onth, or better yet, all three in a discount pack, but eh.
    Now I actually think these are wonderful costumes. But here is my concern. [snip] PLEASE DON'T. Am I saying don't give females skimpy costumes? NOPE. I love them. But I want SIMILAR costumes for male characters as well! And I want them in EXACTLY THE SAME NUMBERS FOR BOTH SEXES. And those awesome male concept art costumes? I want FEMALE versions. Yes, I know female characters can wear them, just as males can wear the dancing girl costumes. Not good enough. I want to see elegant Redguard cultural costumes that are as modest and covering as the male costumes you are planning but specifically made for women.

In future, please make sure you offer all styles of clothing, whether skimpy or modest, in equal proportion for both men and women. [snip] What you've done so far has managed to be tasteful. But you've dropped the ball by not offering something comparable designed for male characters. Don't be those guys ZOS. We expect better of you.
    I have to agree with all of that!

While I dislike people being allowed to dash into battle in dancing girl costumes (wish there were non-combat costumes that unequipped when you go to do battle and wish all those were these), I do enjoy having a wide range of costume options for roleplay support. And that means for both genders, in several different versions. Now, I do enjoy having non-gender-locked costumes... but there really is a certain lack of choice here. The sand-kissed outfit is neat on girls, the dancers silks are interesting as well... but... they could just as easily be male versions of those styles, with a vest instead of top, or a bare chest... same for the more modest male costumes, there easily could be well done female costumes of matching style... I would want that! I would love it is all these gave two versions, female and male, and let people wear as they choose. (since for some roleplaying backgrounds, it opens up a whole new set of options. One of my female characters enjoys wearing male costumes, in a "breeches role" kind of thing, and looks pretty snazzy in them!)
    Would totally be down with some Xena goodness! LOL
    So would I! The classic Xena I would even be able to see as armor without wincing... the samurai-stri... uhm... women of loose morals and looser clothing... not so much. (again I wish for non-combat costumes, if it was for out of combat only, I would not aorry about any costume look... though I suppose I could always salve my strained immersion with an "illusion disguise" explenation...)

But what I would REALLY like to see in terms of "Xena" is "short skirt / kilt" options for leg armor. In nord style it would be great for "scotsmen" visuals, in imperial style for "greco-roman" visuals.
    You know...as long as we can ALSO have....
    Agreement, with the same "non-combat costume" quib.
    Yes, I'd love to have "steppe barbarian" and "celtic/viking berserker" visuals, though those historically proved to be... less then conductive to survival in combat when not protected by the power of script, thus I'd prefer them outside of combat.
    Wonderful comstume ideas - both the dresses, and the toga, and even the gladiator style. I'd throw in some slave tunics and a bit more varietee...
    For the DB DLC perhaps since that is supposedly set somewhere between colovian highlands and gold coast? Or any time, really.
    That... would actually make some sense... if it wasn't also usable with armor. If someone has the protection, I want to see their breasplate and not their abs. But if they were for example to release some costumes in a two version back, one with bra and one with bare chest visuals... hmmm...

All in all, I am starting to think that for -some- costumes, different visuals depending on gender might not be such a bad thing... (as long as noone messes with my Leska dressing in the groom suit when she wants to pass for a gentleman! ;) )

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on October 29, 2023 6:54PM
  • Lil_Willie
    Lil_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    From ZOS:

#NOETA.

• Father_X_Zombie
    Father_X_Zombie
    ✭✭✭✭

Im all for more Imperial stuff! The officer pack is ok. Im not so sure about the Imperial battlemage pack :s
    GT: AK x Zombie

Marcurio Avidius - Breton Sorcerer - The Flawless Conquerer - General
    Raven Avidius - Imperial Nightblade - Stormproof
    Cicero Avidius - Imperial Templar - First Sergeant
    Audens Avidius - Breton Templar - Stormproof
    Jimi Hendrix - Redguard Dragonknight - Stormproof
    Leliana Artaine - Breton Nightblade - Stormproof
    Brutus Decinus - Imperial Sorcerer - Stormproof AD
    Wait aren't you DC - Dark elf Nightblade EP
    Achilleus Infernium - Breton Dragonknight
    Claudia Aurella - Imperial Warden
    DC NA XB1

RIP XB1 NA Chillrend 2015-2017
    Home to emp farmers and roleplayers
    Put out of its misery by Brian Wheeler

• nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually OP you should already be fully aware that female AND male costumes work well on female toons but the same cannot be said about female costumes on male toons... it looks downright redonkulous.

Save the PC threads for MSN forums please. ;)
    Edited by nimander99 on January 19, 2016 7:04PM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What we actually need (and what I was hoping this thread was about) is a costume sorting mechanic in our collection database. I have collected almost every costume, skin, and poly available thus far and my collections are getting downright cluttered.
    Edited by nimander99 on January 19, 2016 7:04PM

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love some shirtless costumes for male characters... but how could they do that since costumes could be worn by men or women. I mean... I personally wouldn't mind it... but you must think of the children. :lol:
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    I would love some shirtless costumes for male characters... but how could they do that since costumes could be worn by men or women. I mean... I personally wouldn't mind it... but you must think of the children. :lol:

The ones that don't exist in Tamriel and only Hermanus Mora knows why? Or the actual ones who aren't supposed to be playing this game anyway? ;)

Sadly, I'm pretty sure what would happen on a "shirtless" costume on females would be that the poor girl would be left standing there in her ridiculous cheap Target bra. Whoever designed the "underwear" for this game needs to be throat punched. Repeatedly.

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget about the "children", the game is rated "M" now, anyone underage who wanders into ESO is not ZOS fault but has only their parents to blame for not paying attention. I am a little tired of some people being actually serious about such "you cannot have a steak because a baby can't chew it" arguments. (not tired of people who make fun of them though... ;) )
    Sadly, I'm pretty sure what would happen on a "shirtless" costume on females would be that the poor girl would be left standing there in her ridiculous cheap Target bra. Whoever designed the "underwear" for this game needs to be throat punched. Repeatedly.
    Yes! Yes, they do! Over and over again!

There are so many better options, but what did we get? Underwear that looks like it was bought in the late 20th century... where are my medieval-style linen loincloths, tarzan-style leopard-skin thongs, fundoshi-style breechcloths, et cetera!

Of course... traditionally a lot of medieval cultures has no bras for women... though chest bindings were common in ancient rome as I recall (I seem to remember roman culture viewed oversized breasts as "uncivilized", "barbaric" and "comical". They were the same about large male parts...).

But I would soo love to see a update on the ESO underwear situation... and then, maybe also more in-game reasons to take off our armor. I always wanted armor give people a swimming debuff, from "slower" in robes to "sink like a stone" in full plate... and then some quests where you -have- to swim a good deal... and agonize about choices... armored and slow as a turtle or fast swimming and painful in the underwear... I'd love that!
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »
    Actually OP you should already be fully aware that female AND male costumes work well on female toons but the same cannot be said about female costumes on male toons... it looks downright redonkulous.

Save the PC threads for MSN forums please. ;)

I met some guy who made Noble Dress work perfectly on male character. He looked like one of those elves from Lord of the rings. Even his name was based on it.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol @TheShadowScout , I was being sarcastic about the children... but I think you knew that. :wink: I wouldn't be opposed to nudity in ESO... but I get why we shouldn't have it.

As for the target underwear @MornaBaine . ZOS is leaving a terrible amount of money on the table by not selling different styles of underclothes.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I know others have already said this but I'll add my voice (via text) that this game is rated M as I know you know, might as well make use of it... naked Nords ftw! ;)

Edit: I know you were being tongue in cheek about the children thing :p
    Edited by nimander99 on January 19, 2016 9:32PM

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I met some guy who made Noble Dress work perfectly on male character. He looked like one of those elves from Lord of the rings. Even his name was based on it.
    I have a character who might be able to pull it off as well. In any case, I wholly approve of characters who seriously manage to make a outfit look good across gender barriers! ;)
    I was being sarcastic about the children... but I think you knew that. :wink: I wouldn't be opposed to nudity in ESO... but I get why we shouldn't have it.
    Sure I knew ;) I was just preempting those who -actually- mean it when they go that way for their "ZOMG, there are bared female chest areas on display, quick, call the censors!" comments...
    (and I was tempted to reply in my own brand of sarcasm, but upon reading through what I had typed, I decided to self-censor. Some jokes are outside what most people consider "good taste". Sadly, those are the ones I tend to enjoy most...)
    As for the target underwear @MornaBaine . ZOS is leaving a terrible amount of money on the table by not selling different styles of underclothes.
    Indeed! If they gave me an option to buy different underwear visuals in the crown store... I'd have to have a different one for each of my characters! A primitive animal-skin loincloth for my bosmer, some dainty silk and lace unmentionables for my altmer, a crude bearskin thong for my nord, something in black for my goth dunmer boy... so many possibilties! Even if noone ever saw them I'd have to have them matching the characters style!