Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

A Guide To Magicka Templar DPS (Bonus Healer Build)

• Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »
    qjWgVvV.png
    There's a proper parse, it was very wonky and much improvement but I'm fairly sure we can get around 33k+ DPS

Those are great numbers, so you also decided to go with staff rotation instead of dark flare?

Yeah this was the rotation asayre helped with, I think I'll only use dark flare in new trial for the mobility and movement honestly
    Thinking of ditching blazing spear and putting vampires Bane on front bar
    #MOREORBS
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »
    Please forgive me as I'm not able to view the rotation vids on my work computer.....

Are you weaving light resto staff attacks? Is this purely ranged? Thanks
    Nah this is destruction staff and swords
    #MOREORBS
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qjWgVvV.png
    There's a proper parse, it was very wonky and much improvement but I'm fairly sure we can get around 33k+ DPS

Those are great numbers, so you also decided to go with staff rotation instead of dark flare?

Yeah this was the rotation asayre helped with, I think I'll only use dark flare in new trial for the mobility and movement honestly

I wonder how the ulti regen is on this dark flare rotation, do you still weave light destro staff here?
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cuyler wrote: »
    qjWgVvV.png

I wonder how the ulti regen is on this dark flare rotation, do you still weave light destro staff here?
    Ulti Regen is never really an issue you can put down a ritual to heal allies if you need to, theres lots of room to do things on your bar like this with Dark Flare rotation, I don't Light Attack much though you could do a quick bar swap to light attack though I'd recommend using a ritual for your ult regen
    #MOREORBS
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Nifty2g

Have you tried out Dark Flare in pvp yet? Those numbers are incredible...
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AfkNinja wrote: »
    @Nifty2g

Hmm you should ask @blabafat about it, I'd probably kill myself if I went into PvP with a damage spec like I'm currently using, lots of reflects , I'm sure you could one shot someone though
    #MOREORBS
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AfkNinja wrote: »
    @Nifty2g

Hmm you should ask @blabafat about it, I'd probably kill myself if I went into PvP with a damage spec like I'm currently using, lots of reflects , I'm sure you could one shot someone though

Templars 1 shotting themselves incoming hahahahaha XD. I really hate the reflect changes...
  • KingYogi415
    KingYogi415
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    step 1: Reroll a High Elf Sorc or DK Dragonknight

Step 2: Profit
    Edited by KingYogi415 on February 10, 2016 9:19AM
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But Templars are out preforming them both on long fights :cold_sweat:
    #MOREORBS
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    EgoRush wrote: »
    Speaking of the Champion system. Any word on the benefit of Thaum over Elfborn? Considering Elfborn only benefits the times when you crit, whereas Thaum will benefit all of your DoTs (Sweeps, Blazing, Radiant Oppression, Vamp Bane etc), this could mean it's better to prioritise Thaum after Ele Expert is maxed out.

Do channels like sweeps and radiant oppression count as dots for new thaumaturge?

dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    qjWgVvV.png

Wow I've never seen radiant oppression beat out sweeps on a longer parse like that. Is this with equal points in thaum and ele expert?

Edited by ryanborror on February 10, 2016 9:34AM
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    EgoRush wrote: »
    Speaking of the Champion system. Any word on the benefit of Thaum over Elfborn? Considering Elfborn only benefits the times when you crit, whereas Thaum will benefit all of your DoTs (Sweeps, Blazing, Radiant Oppression, Vamp Bane etc), this could mean it's better to prioritise Thaum after Ele Expert is maxed out.

Do channels like sweeps and radiant oppression count as dots for new thaumaturge?

Yup :D
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor (PvE - www.hodor-guild.eu), Chimaira (PvE)
    Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

Current vMA score (Templar): Pending return to game
    World Record for all trials pre-Thieves Guild
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj clear
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj speed run clear
    Returning to the game for Morrowind
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    That Jbeam dmg is over the top. Time to grind my Magplar up
    I am gonna Execute at 100%, no problemo
    Edited by Alcast on February 10, 2016 12:20PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Meshal
    Meshal
    ✭✭✭
    interesting
    Edited by Meshal on February 12, 2016 9:03PM
  • EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting all this. Very useful and informative. Just what this returning noob was looking for. Can anyone give any tips for someone who isn't capped on CP? This has helped improve my DPS some but with only 160 points I'm unable to attain those massive magicka recovery numbers and my resources are a bit of a problem. Since I couldn't max out Arcanist for max recovery right away I put a chunk of my points into Magician as well to maximize my point expense until I get more but I'm still having some resource issues even on relatively short fights.

I have twice born star with 4 pieces of julianos and swords. Using 7xDivines and I have the willpower jewelry set (only neck is arcane, other two are healthy) and I put v16 +spell dmg glyphs. I'm currently at 29k magicka (with food buff) but my recovery is only 687. =/ Maybe will try using drink instead but not sure if I should use a different approach with CP until I get more points.
  • elium85
    elium85
    ✭✭✭
    @Nifty2g Are those parses from Live or PTS? Thanks!
  • pecheckler
    pecheckler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are those promised race changes in the crown store? My imperial templar needs to change race now.
    End the tedious inventory management game.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EQR8PE0.png
    I'm personally really liking the changes so far

LOL that 48k dare flare crit....

Wait. 70k? Wut.
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    Thanks for posting all this. Very useful and informative. Just what this returning noob was looking for. Can anyone give any tips for someone who isn't capped on CP? This has helped improve my DPS some but with only 160 points I'm unable to attain those massive magicka recovery numbers and my resources are a bit of a problem. Since I couldn't max out Arcanist for max recovery right away I put a chunk of my points into Magician as well to maximize my point expense until I get more but I'm still having some resource issues even on relatively short fights.

I have twice born star with 4 pieces of julianos and swords. Using 7xDivines and I have the willpower jewelry set (only neck is arcane, other two are healthy) and I put v16 +spell dmg glyphs. I'm currently at 29k magicka (with food buff) but my recovery is only 687. =/ Maybe will try using drink instead but not sure if I should use a different approach with CP until I get more points.

Change the 4 piece jul for 4 piece seducer.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sorcs maybe(their dps without overload up 80++% of the time sucks), dks def not.
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

sorcs maybe(their dps without overload up 80++% of the time sucks), dks def not.
    Currently I'm doing more DPS than everyone apart from Stamina DK (On Serpent, I do most in the new trial). And that was with a rotation I'm not that familiar with, the Execute gaining DPS increase at 40% is the thing that is going to top the class, in long fights Templars will win everything most likely as it's just a DPS increase from 21k onwards. Short fights I'm not too sure unless you can get a huge burst damage boost I wasn't noticing anything too awesome. Sorcerers win on short boss fights.
    elium85 wrote: »
    @Nifty2g Are those parses from Live or PTS? Thanks!
    @elium85 This testing was done on PTS, though in the OP I have the current Live set up still written there

The problem is, I don't think many are going to reroll their characters, Templar is a pretty low population race and it all comes down to personal preference.
    Edited by Nifty2g on February 13, 2016 11:29PM
    #MOREORBS
  • elium85
    elium85
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, luckily, my first toon was an Altmer Templar!
  • Cryhavoc
    Cryhavoc
    ✭✭✭
    This thread is amazing
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am kinda looking forward to the changes we get, but I'm at the same time so comfy with my current build and gear Q.Q dun wanna loose dat!!
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qjWgVvV.png

Do you have the build/rotation on Foundry?

This is awesome xD I am not that great with DPS on my Templar just out of lack of group content opportunity, but this makes me want to give it a more serious look.

ETA it's been since added to Front page xD

Thanks!
    Edited by Islyn on February 18, 2016 6:41AM
  • ryanborror
    ryanborror
    ✭✭✭
    On pts with even split between elemental expert and thaumaturge = ~150 and the rest in elfborn would twice born star yield more damage than Julianos because less in elfborn?
    dooderrr
    templars, nightblades
    PC/XB1 NA
  • Speely
    Speely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for this thread. Amazing detail and great advice. I am leveling a weird magicka temp focused more on soloing and preparing for PvP. Really fun in Maelstrom at least :) As such, my DPS (at v12) isn't super great since I care about my Health total quite a bit (when grouping I prefer to heal and do support DPS since I am a wasted DPS slot really, but my sustain is forever.) Your updated post gives me some good ideas about how to increase damage output somewhat, finally. So thanks :)
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Templar is a strong class . I have done vicp with 3 Templars by my side. Templar tank. Templar healer. Templar dps. Yep. They can do it all just like Magika sorc. 1 big downside With Templar I noticed when fighting them 1v1 is that it's quite easy to interrupt them due to their channeled abilities. That said they are definitely not to be underestimated because they can burst you down about as fast as a nb or mag sourc if you're not careful.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say spam puncturing sweep..
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ryanborror wrote: »
    On pts with even split between elemental expert and thaumaturge = ~150 and the rest in elfborn would twice born star yield more damage than Julianos because less in elfborn?
    I'm unsure I don't have my character anymore for testings :( will have to wait for live to come.
    #MOREORBS
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks good!