The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Combat Pets for each character

Herelacfreahelm
Herelacfreahelm
✭✭✭
I would very much like to see you add the following combat pets for purchase in the crown store.
For the sorcerer class I would like to have an imp, for the dragon knight class I would like a senche tiger, for the night blade class I would like a large bear, and for
the templar class I would like a wolf.
Just my suggestions and think they would fit well in the game.
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    Like the idea of combat pets.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have two VR mages...the Daedric summoning line familiars get 0 space on my bars because they're useless. They'd have to give some reason to use them...a buff, high damage or something before I'd even consider slotting them. If I don't use the class familiars that are available now I can't see me using them on other classes.
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Herelacfreahelm
    Herelacfreahelm
    ✭✭✭
    It seems they are sending more resources in cosmetic and absolutely unless pets that do nothing to enhance the game. Sure hope they will fix if needed the creature that the sorcerer uses and give us a good combat pet for each character class.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, another "PtW" suggestion?

The trouble with crown store bought combat pets is that they would gain an advantage that people who haven't paid for it cannot duplicate no matter how much they play. They explicitly stated they don#t want to do that in their eso crown store.

That's why all the pets are "vanity pets" and only for looks.

IF they were to add combat pets for more people then sorcerors, (who BtW can already summon pets...), they would have to do it with added skill lines. Which they might someday, one way or another. A lot of people playing stealthy nightblade archers would love to go full "hunter" and be able to call some critters to fight for them like NPCs do instead of just summoning a shadow...
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    Skills for combat pets - good idea. Training your pet - like it :)
  • Theodorus
    Theodorus
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, another "PtW" suggestion?

The trouble with crown store bought combat pets is that they would gain an advantage that people who haven't paid for it cannot duplicate no matter how much they play. They explicitly stated they don#t want to do that in their eso crown store.

That's why all the pets are "vanity pets" and only for looks.

IF they were to add combat pets for more people then sorcerors, (who BtW can already summon pets...), they would have to do it with added skill lines. Which they might someday, one way or another. A lot of people playing stealthy nightblade archers would love to go full "hunter" and be able to call some critters to fight for them like NPCs do instead of just summoning a shadow...

Well, it wouldn't have to be "PtW". Give everyone a combat pet, then sell skins from the crown store to customize the appearance only. Problem solved.

That having been said, I'm not a fan of pets for everyone, although I would like to see a hunter class with a wolf pet.

Walking Dead survival tip ... just run faster than Otis
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Theodorus wrote: »
    Give everyone a combat pet, then sell skins from the crown store to customize the appearance only. Problem solved.
    But then people would -need- a combat pet if they wanted to be competetive... since it'd be an added effect without giving anything up.

Like I mentioned, the only good way to add "combat pets for all" would be a skill line where they have to give up a skill slot to summon their pet to balance, just like sorcerors.
    Either as world skill line, or in the course of some class expansion system, spellcrafting, whatever.

Personally I really dislike pets getting involved in combat, since realistically considering what we routinely have to fight, any pet would be a smear of blood and broken bones after the first or second fight... so I for one am rather happy cute pets stay out of the fighting, and leave the ouch time to summoned critters like a sorcerors daedra of the nightblade shades where its no loss if a troll stomps them into two-dimensional shape...
  • Herelacfreahelm
    Herelacfreahelm
    ✭✭✭
    We all have our own thoughts on this, some may like this in the game, others may not, I myself do and would want this added to the game as a skill line and if they do this I am sure that they could figure out a way to make this work with a tab in the action bar.

But want them to do this right for the game and all that goes along with having a pet to help the player along in combat.

If you like this great but if you do not that is ok but give us players the choice and if done right this gives more things for the player to do in the game.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    WoW has battle pets and it works great! When you hit a certain level they are unlocked for you to purchase with ingame gold. Everyone gets them,and there doesnt need to be any special skill line,or anything like that.They do also have a skill line that goes along with them.They progress with the player,and it is on the skill bar.No problem.
    Edited by Volkodav on December 1, 2015 11:48PM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW has battle pets and it works great...
    ...and how does that work with people who haven't got a battle pet? The big problem with this is, people then would -have- to get one to match up, which would for one vex those who want to quest without pet in tow, for another be an eternal disadvantage for those who cannot get them yet, so they'd be at a drawback despite all battle levelling, and finally add a -lot- more lag since more people would run around with pets out all the time.
    No, thanks to all those problems.
    Leave WoW stuff with WoW, and let us have TES stuff in ESO instead.

Not saying there never should be more combat pets, just saying it ought to be done the ESO way, comparable to the sorceror pet mechanic, both in power, and in usage. Which means, skill/ability.
  • terrordactyl1971
    terrordactyl1971
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would cause alot more lag in Cyrodiil - imagine a zerg with 50+ pets all attacking as well as the players?
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe some future DLC will include a beast taming skill line that will allow you to pokemon various wild creatures and level them up and use them as combat pets.

Combat pets are more burden than help at current, but I like the spirit of the idea.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    I have two VR mages...the Daedric summoning line familiars get 0 space on my bars because they're useless. They'd have to give some reason to use them...a buff, high damage or something before I'd even consider slotting them. If I don't use the class familiars that are available now I can't see me using them on other classes.

We must be playing a different game then, because my sorceress uses her minion (the clannfear, not the flying one) to tank bosses, and those NPCs that have names and usually are tougher to kill.

And if bosses are really hard, my minion tanks him/her and I kite them going backwards till they're dead.

The only NPC that didn't work on, because he two- or three-hit killed my minion, was the big guy at the end of the main quest.

When you use that minion, SHIFT Y left click is your friend. My sorceress stands at max range of her spells, and if the minion does die, one button push and he's back doing his thing.

But I agree with the suggestion, I'd like to see more minions in the game for other characters.

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ...and how does that work with people who haven't got a battle pet? The big problem with this is, people then would -have- to get one to match up, which would for one vex those who want to quest without pet in tow, for another be an eternal disadvantage for those who cannot get them yet, so they'd be at a drawback despite all battle levelling, and finally add a -lot- more lag since more people would run around with pets out all the time.

Not saying there never should be more combat pets, just saying it ought to be done the ESO way, comparable to the sorceror pet mechanic, both in power, and in usage. Which means, skill/ability.

Well,they are matched up.To each style of player.Some get white striped senches,while others get different ones.
    As to how they work for those who dont have them,they wait until it is opened to them.We dont always have to have everything given to us on a silver platter.Sometimes one should work for it.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well,they are matched up.To each style of player.Some get white striped senches,while others get different ones.
    As to how they work for those who dont have them,they wait until it is opened to them.We dont always have to have everything given to us on a silver platter.Sometimes one should work for it.
    Doesn't cover my point(s).
    If battle pets without drawbacks were a thing, everyone would -have- to get one to be competetive. Doesn't matter what shape it'd take for those who don't like to have pets follwoing around.
    And for those who aren't there yet, there would be a huge outcry if all the battle levelling in cyrodil couldn't get them on par with that one advantage.
    And it would -still- double the lag if everyone had to have a battle pet.

So, I say again - if more battle pets for everyone, then the ESO way, as skill/ability, so they have to sacrifice skill slots for 'em like sorcerors do, and balanced to be worth no more then those, NOT as "free bonus power".
    I'd have no problem with pets that way... either toggles like the sorceror, or summons per time like the nightblade shades. I could see quite a few of that to fit in, either as "summoner" world skill line, or as additions to classes (I sometimes post an idea that would have room for this with class morphs, but that is a different discussion...)
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to have dibella as my **** pet.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to have dibella as my **** pet.
    More a comfort pet then a combat pet, huh? ;):smirk:
    Ah, that brings back memories from Age of Conan where they actually had "exotic dancer" pets... if only they also had some cute boys for those... :tongue:

Anyways, I'd rather see "comfort pets" then combat pets any day!
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doesn't cover my point(s).
    If battle pets without drawbacks were a thing, everyone would -have- to get one to be competetive. Doesn't matter what shape it'd take for those who don't like to have pets follwoing around.
    And for those who aren't there yet, there would be a huge outcry if all the battle levelling in cyrodil couldn't get them on par with that one advantage.
    And it would -still- double the lag if everyone had to have a battle pet.

So, I say again - if more battle pets for everyone, then the ESO way, as skill/ability, so they have to sacrifice skill slots for 'em like sorcerors do, and balanced to be worth no more then those, NOT as "free bonus power".
    I'd have no problem with pets that way... either toggles like the sorceror, or summons per time like the nightblade shades. I could see quite a few of that to fit in, either as "summoner" world skill line, or as additions to classes (I sometimes post an idea that would have room for this with class morphs, but that is a different discussion...)

I didnt disagree with you.I was just telling you how the other game was doing it,and making it work. :smile. :}
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didnt disagree with you.I was just telling you how the other game was doing it,and making it work. :smile. :}
    And I am saying, no thanks.
    Better to have the -choice- then having the game force you into taking a pet along to compete.
    Better to not have double the lag because everyone has pets in tow.
    Better to keep things done the ESO way, and leave "how other games do it" to other games.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    And I am saying, no thanks.
    Better to have the -choice- then having the game force you into taking a pet along to compete.
    Better to not have double the lag because everyone has pets in tow.
    Better to keep things done the ESO way, and leave "how other games do it" to other games.

To each their own.That's what the forums are for. Why would you say no thanks to me agreeing with you?
    Edited by Volkodav on December 10, 2015 4:03AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am saying "no thanks" to the combat pet idea you are describing, despite "how other games make it work", because... see above! ;)

Like mentioned, not against more combat pet options per se; as long as they follow the sorceror pet system, so people have to -choose- if they want that fifth skill available or a pet out, and not add a combat pet for free so everyone without drawback so everyone who wants to measure up -has- to get it, both ion PvP and endgame PvE, thus doubling the general lag everywhere...
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Still,I would like to have battle mounts.Period.I dont care if someone else doesnt,but I do.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If by "battle mounts" you mean mounted combat, now that's a different topic, and one I would happen to agree with. Charging lanciers, horseback archery (or magery), light cavalry dashing in to slash with their sabers... heck, even two-man chariots, one player drives (and tries to hobble as many as possible with the wheel scythes), one player shoots arrows (or fireballs)...
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

In wow, combat pets do not give any advantages in combat. Combat pets simply can fight with other combat pets, kinda like a pokemon mini-game.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not talking about WoW pets. Never having played this, I couldn't begin to talk about it.

I am talking about ESO pets. Which do give a combat advantage, just ask any sorceror.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Artemis wrote: »

I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about.

In wow, combat pets do not give any advantages in combat. Combat pets simply can fight with other combat pets, kinda like a pokemon mini-game.

WoW pets distract and engage enemies,not other people's pets. While not actually doing damage,they DO help you kill your targets,giving you the extra time to get in a kill shot.
    Edited by Volkodav on December 13, 2015 10:45AM
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭

My clanfear helped me beat veteran maelstrom arena, it's basically like running with a tank.

The other one is useless though.
  • Tipsy
    Tipsy
    ✭✭✭
    what if every tamed animal has some basic attacks in pve (so also bought pets will attack,but only basic attacks.
    And they can be wounded and down,unable to attack)

then only a ranger can further train their pet to gain new skills
    And command them to gather meat,...,...
    (so ranger could become a new skill line in this case)
  • Carraig
    Carraig
    ✭✭✭
    If by "battle mounts" you mean mounted combat, now that's a different topic, and one I would happen to agree with. Charging lanciers, horseback archery (or magery), light cavalry dashing in to slash with their sabers... heck, even two-man chariots, one player drives (and tries to hobble as many as possible with the wheel scythes), one player shoots arrows (or fireballs)...

They tried that in LOTRO in the Rohan-zones. Wasn't a big succes due to lag. Sometimes it caused big lag, which by some people with gaming/computer knowledge was due to a combination of the 4 levels of riding speed of the mounts and the calculations of the outgoing damage from each player. In LOTRO you had your own personal weapon which could be customized in many way. Damage was also depending on your riding speed. If the server has to calculate the damage from many different players/weapons riding at different speeds it could get a bit slow, I guess.
    Also if you rode with attack speed (highest level of speed), you moved so fast that it took a good graphics card to keep up with the loading of the landscape, especially in the turns.

I haven't played LOTRO in three years now, maybe things have changed in the mean time. My experience comes from the implementation of mounted combat.

I like the idea of mounted combat, but I fear it won't be easy to implement.

Edited by Carraig on July 12, 2016 7:43AM
    Knight-Captain of the Tamriel's Elite Sentinels ( EU server-PC)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love my pet sorc so even more pets will be much appreciated. It should be tied to a quest, you should choose it at the start and level it up through the quest line and keep levelling after. There should be many types of pets for each type of class so choose wisely (buff pets, healing pets, attack pets, hybrid pets etc)
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)