Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Weapon damage broken again? Puncturing sweeps vs Biting Jabs

• Dev
    Dev
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but i would have to question the validity of the test.

with gear, passives and etc, there are too many variables.

best bet to see if there is a difference.
    -Reset CP so none are in effect
    -reset skills so that you only have jabs
    -reset attributes so they are 0 in all 3 groups
    -remove all gear and only have a level 1 weapon, and have it the same weapon on both tests
    -then test with a couple of mobs and average the results (might want to bring a healer friend, since you would be naked and unbuffed)

i know that spell erosion (penetration), thaumaturge (damage), and elemental expert (fire dmg) will all raise puncturing sweep damage, and out of these, thaumaturge gives more bang for the buck.

it may or may not be bugged for biting jabs, but there may be more variables that are not equalized so reseting them should give valid scientific results. the net difference in the numbers was minor enough that it could fall in the margin of error and could be skewed because of a potential 1 or 2% difference from other cps/passives.
    Options
  • Zinaroth
    Zinaroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Justice31st You are arguing with some of the best Templar players in competetive PvE in the game here, and now I joined aswell. What do you have to show for yourself? If you have nothing constructive to add to the post please move on. There's nothing you could tell any of us that we don't already know.
    Options
  • MrGigglypants
    MrGigglypants
    ✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    Leifnier wrote: »
    Have a link to the video with yours for comparison?

http://imgur.com/5FckX4q

5FckX4q.jpg

Kryank wrote: »
    are they both classed as the same type of damage? ie. both physical. or is one physical and one magic (or something like that), as different resistances could play a part.

only a guess though as i dont play temp.

its not resistances, he hits harder on ALL bosses. Unless all bosses have like 20k more physical than spell resistance.

Light armour passives give significant spell pen so even if bosses had a flat 20k on both he probably has way more pen than you.
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Burning light passive is magic damage, and although it may scale with weapon power, it gets buffed by thumatauge ,which is probably where the extra damage is coming from.
    EgoRush wrote: »
    So, as I recently watched @blabafat video of magicka Templar doing Vet Arena I noticed one thing. His Puncturing sweeps hits harder than my Biting jabs although I have a stronger setup as I am Stamina.: Maybe it is just a Punctsweeps/Jabs issue, but I guess smth is broken again with weapon damage in general. Has somebody else noticed this?

Although my Stamplar has higher stats my Jabs do less damage than Magplars Puncturing sweeps.

Blabafat Magicka Templar unbuffed:
    2620 Spelldamage and 36.6k magicka

Alcast Stamina Templar unbuffed:
    3650 Weapon damage and 38,6k Stamina

We both have max CP aviable.

Magicka Templar Puncturing Sweeps damage on Lamia Queen: noncrit 3k/crit 5,3k
    Stamina Templar Biting Jabs damage on Lamia Queen: noncrit 2,9k/crit 5,1k

5FckX4q.jpg

@blabafat what is your buffed Puncturing Sweeps damage Tooltip?

HOW? @ZOS_GinaBruno

Will do some tests later today

The way i understand it, is that its still a magic ability but with a stam cost. So putting points into thaum would benefit more then mighty. Ive put 80 points into thaum then mighty and i did seem to kill things faster with mire into thaum but i am on console so i cant see the numbers to conclusively say that. Maybe if someone on pc that can see that actual difference could test that and let me know?
    Or am i completely off basis with that? Lol

Unfortunately not, the tool tip describes Biting Jabs as physical damage, so Mighty is the CP you want. Unless it's broken and no one has realised or tested?

Ah okay. It just doesnt seem to hit as hard like sweeps, just like @Alcast said/shown. Im seriously considering buying the pc version just so an see the actual numbers and be able to test things lol

So some of the issues here are the armour passives and traits on weapons. Alcast and I compared Jabs on his stamplar with Sweeps on my magiplar for PC to get some numbers. Light armour passives give me some spell penetration whereas medium armour will boost your weapon damage. This can make a tool tip seem higher for one but the damage higher for the other (depending on what mob you are hitting). Factor in nirnhoned swords for a magicka Templar and you boost this even further with respect to tool tip damage.

Basically it seems like Sweeps are stronger now I think. With the self heal it makes Sweeps kinda ridiculous, so perhaps the Jabs morph should get some attention and boost to damage. Jabs gives Major Savagery but this is useless if you're running with Camo Hunter on your bars, so really they could change this to something else.

Um, stamina Templars have great stamina resource sustain due to the stamina regained from repentance while magicka Templars do not...Overall DPS makes Biting Jabs still more ridiculous.

In 1v1 pvp or boss fight.

0 stam return for stamplar possible

Magiplar has channeled focus

Also most high end dps builds for magicka still run more passive regen AND put out more dps.

Stam templar is the bottom of the bottom right now.

Hence why alcast, probably the best stam templar since the game existed has stopped using his.
    Options
  • arcantonias
    arcantonias
    ✭✭✭
    Evil Hunter returns stam, just sayin. Unchained can proc multiple times in any fight giving you resource return while spamming skills
    Edited by arcantonias on December 2, 2015 5:45PM
    Options
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Justice31st on December 2, 2015 8:58PM
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
    Options
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg. This is just ridiculous. :o
    Edit: I mean the bug, not the discussion lol
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on December 2, 2015 7:13PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
    Options
  • ZOS_Alex
    ZOS_Alex
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, everyone.

We understand that people are going to disagree from time to time, but please remember to keep your comments respectful at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others. Insults or other disruptive behavior do not help further discussion and can move a thread off topic quickly. We encourage sharing opinions, but we ask that they are constructively stated when doing so, as this will help keep the discussion on track.

Thank you!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    ZOS_Alex wrote: »
    Hi, everyone.

We understand that people are going to disagree from time to time, but please remember to keep your comments respectful at all times on our forums, even when you disagree with others. Insults or other disruptive behavior do not help further discussion and can move a thread off topic quickly. We encourage sharing opinions, but we ask that they are constructively stated when doing so, as this will help keep the discussion on track.

Thank you!

no.

We want constructive answers from ZOS but we aint got none!
    Edited by Alcast on December 2, 2015 7:08PM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

Options
  • GilGalad
    GilGalad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, everyone.

Thank you!

no.

We want constructive answers from ZOS but we aint got none!

lol

Why would you expect a constructive answer if you don't give constructive feedback? You show no respect at all...

Has anyone ever tested the dmg without spellpenetration (no points in the light armor passive, no nirn weapons) and compared it?
    You know why your NB hits harder? Because surprise attack reduces the enemies armor...
    Animals Unchained | PC EU
    Homestead Theorycrafting
    Math of RNG
    Options
  • Divinius
    Divinius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, everyone.

Thank you!
    Do you have any idea how utterly frustrating and annoying it is when I see the big Zenimax "Z" next to a thread talking about something I have an interest in, only to discover when I read the thread that the only ZOS response is a forum mod telling people to "play nice" with each other?

Dear Forum Staff,

Please make different icons to distinguish forum mods from real ZOS devs and or community reps that are actually contributing something useful to a thread. I'm really sick of getting trolled by forum mods.
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zinaroth wrote: »
    @Justice31st You are arguing with some of the best Templar players in competetive PvE in the game here, and now I joined aswell. What do you have to show for yourself? If you have nothing constructive to add to the post please move on. There's nothing you could tell any of us that we don't already know.

@Zinaroth So you are saying EgoRush and Alcast are the two best Templars in the game? Is there evidence that prove your claim other than hearsay?

Yes, alcast is the original stamplar from launch, he tried and tested and made the very best builds, helped hundreds of people by giving out information and advise and has a massively great understanding of the game.
    Options
  • Bazeric
    Bazeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    Divinius wrote: »

Dear Forum Staff,

Please make different icons to distinguish forum mods from real ZOS devs and or community reps that are actually contributing something useful to a thread. I'm really sick of getting trolled by forum mods.

Not a bad idea, I checked back under the same assumption that some useful insight might have been shared. Since reading this thread has made me a #ConcernedStamplar now that I am focusing on my Templar this month.

-And to kind of respond to the thread-

Testing seems to be part of the issue here, and that doesn't surprise me anymore since after CP was released there is far too many pieces contributing to a character that it's impossible to know if something is working/stacking/procing accurately. This is must be a nightmare for devs on top of the pitchfork wielding players. (I vent in /zone too, and often, but at least I get it out and move on... hopefully more constructive things when I can.)

So far it seems like it might be coming down to penetration? Any of you testers/maxers out there have a comparison of damage vs penetration effectiveness?

Looking for broken things in hopes they may be fixed. I've given up, my game literally works differently from yours.
    64M+ AP across 9 toons... kinda makes me a GO
    Options
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bazeric wrote: »

Dear Forum Staff,

Not a bad idea, I checked back under the same assumption that some useful insight might have been shared. Since reading this thread has made me a #ConcernedStamplar now that I am focusing on my Templar this month.

Testing seems to be part of the issue here, and that doesn't surprise me anymore since after CP was released there is far too many pieces contributing to a character that it's impossible to know if something is working/stacking/procing accurately. This is must be a nightmare for devs on top of the pitchfork wielding players. (I vent in /zone too, and often, but at least I get it out and move on... hopefully more constructive things when I can.)

So far it seems like it might be coming down to penetration? Any of you testers/maxers out there have a comparison of damage vs penetration effectiveness?

My guess is you've hit the nail on the head, only reason I say this is because my max damage went from 4100 to 4900 when I switched from precise to nirn. Medium armor / weapons don't have an equal passive/trait combination like the nirn/light armor penetration passive, that I'm aware of anyway.
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
    Options
  • EDS604
    EDS604
    ✭✭✭
    i tried taking some points out of mighty (73 now since i find it a waste to put points in a tree when you only get 0.1%) 27 in precise strikes to get 10%, 10 in piercing. Rest of my points i put into thaumaturge as a test. ok, it won't increase the dmg from jabs itself, but i do notice an increase in dps since burning light is magic dmg. bad at crunching numbers etc, but thought i'd share this :)
    PC EU, Guildleader of "Death By Gargoyle".
    Options
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirDopey wrote: »

Dear Forum Staff,

My guess is you've hit the nail on the head, only reason I say this is because my max damage went from 4100 to 4900 when I switched from precise to nirn. Medium armor / weapons don't have an equal passive/trait combination like the nirn/light armor penetration passive, that I'm aware of anyway.

Either way this is a huge issue as Stamplar is even weaker than we thought if Biting Jabs can't even hit as hard as Puncturing Strikes due to cp/penetration etc. I mean...Puncturing heals 40% of that too....talk about broken. Stamplar is the black sheep of the ZOS family.
    Options
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, everyone.

Thank you!
    Do you have any idea how utterly frustrating and annoying it is when I see the big Zenimax "Z" next to a thread talking about something I have an interest in, only to discover when I read the thread that the only ZOS response is a forum mod telling people to "play nice" with each other?

Dear Forum Staff,

You're being disruptive. I encourage you to take a few moments and read forum Code of Conduct.

:D
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
    Options
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AfkNinja wrote: »

Dear Forum Staff,

Either way this is a huge issue as Stamplar is even weaker than we thought if Biting Jabs can't even hit as hard as Puncturing Strikes due to cp/penetration etc. I mean...Puncturing heals 40% of that too....talk about broken. Stamplar is the black sheep of the ZOS family.

Please don't encourage more Templar nerfs, you know that is not the solution that is needed right now. It's fine to want Jabs to deal more damage but never suggest that Sweep is somehow broken considering how limited its usage can be.
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on December 2, 2015 10:24PM
    Options
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't encourage more Templar nerfs, you know that is not the solution that is needed right now. It's fine to want Jabs to deal more damage but never suggest that Sweep is somehow broken considering how limited its usage can be.

I meant broken in the sense that Bitting Jabs is way under-performing if Sweeps is out DPSing it as Jabs is like the only reason to be a Stamina Templar.....

But yea, we really don't need any more nerfs...
    Options
  • SirDopey
    SirDopey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Forum Staff,

I don't think its a CP issue at all, I think its a stamina vs magicka issue in general where magic abilities can create a powerful synergy between the light armor passive and nirn weapons, this distortion would occur regardless of the level of CPs one has as there has never been a weapon trait and a medium/heavy armor passive that complements stamina like the fore mentioned magic one, in general I've seen magic builds be able to do higher damage output from ALL magic class abilities that have a stamina morph vs stamina builds, its not limited to just jabs...
    NA PC | AD
    xx Doc Holliday xx
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I ditched my templar and went to stam nb. A lot more "calm" after a vMA run and surprise attack instant 15k dmg which is f-- OP compared to 1s cast 12k jabsdmg...

"balance"

I would've done this a long time ago. NBs are much better for people that want to play Stamina. The only upside to Stamplars since the game launched was that period where they were the gods of Vet DSA. The only downside to rerolling is that getting Vigor takes some time.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be noted further tests required for pvp due to Champion points available for magicka mitigation. Too many templars confusing pve dmg to also mean it translates into pvp easily.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Zinaroth
    Zinaroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ditched my templar and went to stam nb. A lot more "calm" after a vMA run and surprise attack instant 15k dmg which is f-- OP compared to 1s cast 12k jabsdmg...

"balance"

I would've done this a long time ago. NBs are much better for people that want to play Stamina. The only upside to Stamplars since the game launched was that period where they were the gods of Vet DSA. The only downside to rerolling is that getting Vigor takes some time.

Some of us have invested a lot of time on our Templars, more than it takes to get Vigor. Some of us has been hoping for ZOS to come to their senses regarding out class for a long time. If we were FotM rerollers we wouldn't have been playing Templar now. So eventhough NBs have been much better for people that want to play Stamina since 1.6 at least, that doesn't mean we only realized that just now. It just means that we lost our hope with the class just now. ZOS better have some sweet stuff coming up for Templar and especially Stamplars in next patch or they won't have a Templar community left in competetive PvE outside Breath of Life spamming.
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dear Forum Staff,

Acoording to some people in the pvp section stamplars are the hardest hitting best healing best mobile and best class around, DON'T WORRY PEOPLE STAMPLARS ARE FINE

Trolls lol
    Options
  • Tower_Of_Shame
    Tower_Of_Shame
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, everyone.

Thank you!

giphy.gif

When I see a DEV comment sign on forum 99% it is about moderation xD
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Someone anyone want to help us out here? This is kinda becoming a joke now
    Options
  • EgoRush
    EgoRush
    ✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »

@Zinaroth So you are saying EgoRush and Alcast are the two best Templars in the game? Is there evidence that prove your claim other than hearsay?

Yes, alcast is the original stamplar from launch, he tried and tested and made the very best builds, helped hundreds of people by giving out information and advise and has a massively great understanding of the game.

Oh :( everyone knows Alcast but no one knows my poor Templar, Oriantha. Alcast and I were on the all Templar team that had one of the best scores in the world for vDSA pre-patch and could easily attain a top score again. My magicka Templar and his stamina Templar. I am still competing on my magicka Templar and have scores in the top 3 across the world in trials. Recognise me, Senpai! ;)

But no, this is why we compare and contrast magicka and stamina Templar a lot. We have grown up with the classes since the launch and have gamed together for a long time now. We know the class inside-out. We also did the tests where we removed all armour and compared base values. Irrespective of the skills being balanced when naked this is somewhat irrelevant considering no one will be running end game content naked. I think developers should be mindful of passives that will affect base values of magicka/stamina skills and effectively balance this. My argument is that Puncturing Sweep is stronger in end-game gear and has a secondary effect (self-heal) that is fantastic. Biting Jabs are weaker in end-game gear and have a secondary effect that is redundant to most stamina builds as it can easily be obtained by slotting Camo/Evil Hunter. That doesn't seem balanced to me.
    Server: EU Pact
    Guild: Hodor (PvE - www.hodor-guild.eu), Chimaira (PvE)
    Character: Oriantha (Templar Healer), Zelda's Inferno (Dragonknight Tank), The Lumen Sage (Stamina Sorcerer DD), The Umbra Witch (Magicka Nightblade DD), Flirts-With-Boys (Stamina Nightblade DD), Oriantha Ellesidil (Magicka Sorcerer DD/healer), Wariantha (Magicka Warden in the making)

Current vMA score (Templar): Pending return to game
    World Record for all trials pre-Thieves Guild
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj clear
    World first V16 Maw of Lorkhaj speed run clear
    Returning to the game for Morrowind
    Options
  • Ara_Valleria
    Ara_Valleria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

You guys need to stop slacking and give some kind of response to these posts.
    Even a "passed it to the devs in charge" will do ... but all this radio silence is just frustrating.
    This lack of communication, specially from @Wrobel, is beyond unprofessional.
    Edited by ZOS_Katarini on December 3, 2015 3:13PM
    °‡° ÁDAMANT °‡°
    The Addon Abusers, Exploiters & Macro'ers Refuge
    •••• | Ara Valleria - AD NightBlade | Templàra Valleria - AD Templar | Åra Valleria - AD DragonKnight | Ára V - AD DragonKnight | Ara Laifu - DC NightBlade | Ara Waifu - EP Sorcerer | ••••

••••••| YOUTUBE |••••••
    Want to take a break from all the Lagging|Crashing|Cancer ?
    Play Albion Online
    Options
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The silence is your answer.

They do not care about stamina Templars. It sucks because I am playing one myself but appearantly that seem to be the way.

You have pleaded for an answer for so long and all we got was a moderation pot (haha!).
    Dissappointing :(
    Edited by BlackEar on December 3, 2015 11:32AM
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »

Oh :( everyone knows Alcast but no one knows my poor Templar, Oriantha. Alcast and I were on the all Templar team that had one of the best scores in the world for vDSA pre-patch and could easily attain a top score again. My magicka Templar and his stamina Templar. I am still competing on my magicka Templar and have scores in the top 3 across the world in trials. Recognise me, Senpai! ;)

But no, this is why we compare and contrast magicka and stamina Templar a lot. We have grown up with the classes since the launch and have gamed together for a long time now. We know the class inside-out. We also did the tests where we removed all armour and compared base values. Irrespective of the skills being balanced when naked this is somewhat irrelevant considering no one will be running end game content naked. I think developers should be mindful of passives that will affect base values of magicka/stamina skills and effectively balance this. My argument is that Puncturing Sweep is stronger in end-game gear and has a secondary effect (self-heal) that is fantastic. Biting Jabs are weaker in end-game gear and have a secondary effect that is redundant to most stamina builds as it can easily be obtained by slotting Camo/Evil Hunter. That doesn't seem balanced to me.

Haha sorry, maybe it's because the name alcast is really really catchy?

Tbh i mainly knew him because I followed his build on tamrielfoundry and discussed various options with him for stamplars.

I agree the issues adding to this are.

Burning light being magicka damage so benefitting from thumatauge.

Natural pen of light armor and the necessity of using nirnhoned weapons for even more pen.

But don't worry, according to some people in the pvp section stamplars are god like insane self healing machines that do massive amounts more damage that magicka templars. So according to them all is fine
    Options