Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Been gone a year and STILL no nameplates over players.......

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just out of curiosity, what would the benefits be for having name plates? I'm quite happy without them but its obvious a few people would like them added, so just wondering why?
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Devotion
    Devotion
    ✭✭
    wtb nameplates, its good to see from a distance who someone is rather than hovering over someones bar.

its a social thing for me. makes pvp more exciting knowing who im facing easier than hovering over them and taking note.
  • Rodvic
    Rodvic
    ✭✭✭
    If they don't add an option for those stupid name plates to not show up I'm gone. I don't want , nor will I ever want those stupid things forced on me.
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heruthema wrote: »
    Please NO NAMEPLATES. This game is great because it does not junk up the screen with non-immersive stuff.

If the nameplates are gamer tags, I am in 100% agreement with you. If the nameplates are actual character names, I am in 100% disagreement. :)
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Id be fine with toggle MMO UI overlays for the game.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glaiceana wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what would the benefits be for having name plates? I'm quite happy without them but its obvious a few people would like them added, so just wondering why?

Far easier to spot people you know, or recognize people you have ran content with before. Also if people are moving around a lot, the current method of mousing over them to see their name is difficult. Guild members are often a different colour so you can spot them easily even in a crowd. People in your friends list can be a different colour etc...

It's good to use mostly in hubs, many turn it off when in dungeons and what not.

It's a social thing. Which is a large part of what mmo's are suppose to be about.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's just really hard to believe that not seeing LeetMlgBallz over someones head as they bounce through town is such a major issue for anyone. I just...I mean...why?

Is it hard to believe that people would like to be able to see friends, guild mates etc...?

How about just turning on merchants so you can find them easier in town rather than my current method of "mouse panning" quickly back and forth until I see a "merchant" tag below the health bar.

And since every mmo known to man has allowed the ability to turn off nameplates it's really hard to believe that allowing people to have nameplates is such a major issue for anyone. I just...I mean...why not?

• Rodvic
    Rodvic
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    It's just really hard to believe that not seeing LeetMlgBallz over someones head as they bounce through town is such a major issue for anyone. I just...I mean...why?

Is it hard to believe that people would like to be able to see friends, guild mates etc...?

How about just turning on merchants so you can find them easier in town rather than my current method of "mouse panning" quickly back and forth until I see a "merchant" tag below the health bar.

And since every mmo known to man has allowed the ability to turn off nameplates it's really hard to believe that allowing people to have nameplates is such a major issue for anyone. I just...I mean...why not?

We just don't want it forced on us. If they give us an option to turn nameplates off I'm all for it. If I'm forced to have the nameplates though there's going to be a problem for myself and many others.
  • vizionblind_ESO
    vizionblind_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Rodvic wrote: »
    If they don't add an option for those stupid name plates to not show up I'm gone. I don't want , nor will I ever want those stupid things forced on me.

RELAX. We said toggleable option
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodvic wrote: »

RELAX. We said toggleable option

The other thing I'm wondering is if an enemy player is in stealth will we be able to see this nameplate? I'm assuming no, since it seems obvious, but you never know~! I didn't like the tab-target "improvement" they added, but that could've been worse.
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Who's having trouble seeing friends in the world? You would see them easier on a screen filled with nameplates, nameplates blocking your friends nameplate and character? You don't recognize your friends when they run up to you and say, "sup bro?" Your method of finding merchants was used the first time you entered a town for five seconds. If you're still having trouble finding merchants after day 1, we're talking about perhaps a personal vision issue. The ones in town don't even move. You run to their location and there they are, same spot, same clothes.

Your last point I'm just tired of hearing all together. Every mmo does not have to do and offer the same things. Many did that and 90% died after a year or two.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Far easier to spot people you know, or recognize people you have ran content with before. Also if people are moving around a lot, the current method of mousing over them to see their name is difficult. Guild members are often a different colour so you can spot them easily even in a crowd. People in your friends list can be a different colour etc...

It's good to use mostly in hubs, many turn it off when in dungeons and what not.

It's a social thing. Which is a large part of what mmo's are suppose to be about.

Thanks for the good clarification :)
    I think in that case it would be fine to add it, as long as it is toggleable. Everyone would be happy then!
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who's having trouble seeing friends in the world? You would see them easier on a screen filled with nameplates, nameplates blocking your friends nameplate and character? You don't recognize your friends when they run up to you and say, "sup bro?"
    Friends and Guild mates can be given different colour nameplates. Alternatively you can turn off nameplates for everyone else except friends or Guild mates.
    Your method of finding merchants was used the first time you entered a town for five seconds. If you're still having trouble finding merchants after day 1, we're talking about perhaps a personal vision issue. The ones in town don't even move. You run to their location and there they are, same spot, same clothes.
    How many towns are in the game? Just the one with the same merchants in the same place?
    Your last point I'm just tired of hearing all together. Every mmo does not have to do and offer the same things. Many did that and 90% died after a year or two.
    You completely missed my point. It has to do with them being completely optional.Re-read and try again.

• ZioGio
    ZioGio
    ✭✭✭
    sagitter wrote: »
    Anyway , i'd like to see also guildname plates, and better visible plates on heads while pvp grouping , because the white crown leader and also white icons upon head, while fighting in zergs, are really hard to see , creating chaos.

Which guild name do you want to show on the player's name plate? Each player can join up to five guilds.
    PC NA
  • Alukit
    Alukit
    ✭✭
    you got to be kidding me why would people rage quit over having or not having nameplates? i consider it a nice choice to have but really people do you not have anything else to complain about that you freak out over nameplates.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZioGio wrote: »
    sagitter wrote: »
    Anyway , i'd like to see also guildname plates, and better visible plates on heads while pvp grouping , because the white crown leader and also white icons upon head, while fighting in zergs, are really hard to see , creating chaos.

Which guild name do you want to show on the player's name plate? Each player can join up to five guilds.

Each player can simply choose one guild to display on their own tag. Or none at all if they don't want to play favourites. There is already an addon that will show you if a player is in a same guild as you. ZoS can clearly make it happen. Lots of options.
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the good clarification :)
    I think in that case it would be fine to add it, as long as it is toggleable. Everyone would be happy then!

This should be the case for many things ( for console especially ). Text chat, player names, damage and XP scrolling, etc
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Who's having trouble seeing friends in the world? You would see them easier on a screen filled with nameplates, nameplates blocking your friends nameplate and character? You don't recognize your friends when they run up to you and say, "sup bro?"
    Friends and Guild mates can be given different colour nameplates. Alternatively you can turn off nameplates for everyone else except friends or Guild mates.
    Your method of finding merchants was used the first time you entered a town for five seconds. If you're still having trouble finding merchants after day 1, we're talking about perhaps a personal vision issue. The ones in town don't even move. You run to their location and there they are, same spot, same clothes.
    How many towns are in the game? Just the one with the same merchants in the same place?
    You completely missed my point. It has to do with them being completely optional.Re-read and try again.

Re-read my post and try again. Why do they have to even code it in and make it optional if doesn't fit with the aesthetic they originally set out to have? Because you miss it from the other generic mmo you played, which has nothing to do with this game? If you're having trouble finding vendors in ANY town, this game may be a little above your skill level.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no interest personally in name-plates and wouldn't enable them assuming they were optional. It would concern me, however, if those who group were put under pressure to use them even if they preferred not to. They are hugely intrusive, and there's also the risk that they will adversely affect performance. Do we know if that's why they were dropped in beta or was there some other reason?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Re-read my post and try again. Why do they have to even code it in and make it optional if doesn't fit with the aesthetic they originally set out to have? Because you miss it from the other generic mmo you played, which has nothing to do with this game? If you're having trouble finding vendors in ANY town, this game may be a little above your skill level.

Oh, I see your point now. "I don't like it/want it so no one else can have it either, and must be beneath my "skill level" if they want it, even if it is completely optional and affects me in no way at all."

Quit c**k-blocking the people who want these features (when they have no impact on you whatsoever) with weak-sauce reasoning like "it doesn't fit with their aesthetics", when they can be turned off/on at will.

• Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh, I see your point now. "I don't like it/want it so no one else can have it either, and must be beneath my "skill level" if they want it, even if it is completely optional and affects me in no way at all."

Quit c**k-blocking the people who want these features (when they have no impact on you whatsoever) with weak-sauce reasoning like "it doesn't fit with their aesthetics", when they can be turned off/on at will.

Yea but...these features were purposely left out of the game, so your entire argument is "weaksauce." You probably shouldn't accuse people of having weak arguments when the core of yours was completely laughable. "Can't find vendors." No one is buying that. Unless you have a physical disability involving your eyes, in which case I am sorry for this, don't sell us this nonsense. Just like myself and everyone else, you run into town and straight to the vendor, horse trainer, banker, and whatever other npc you need without incident. Yes, right to those static little people, without the use of a floating, tacky nameplate.
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We need nameplates and guild tags bad..Make it a toggle so the leet doodz can have their clean screen so they can see everything..The thing is we've had name and guild tags since UO and they've been great. This is the first game I've ever played without them and it's horrible. I mean I get it..ZOS wants to be original as much as possible but leaving out nameplates and auction blocks was pretty ridiculous..
  • Zardayne
    Zardayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess the people who don't want tags are the solo players and the leet guilds who don't care to interact with all of the other Pugs/players and forget this is an massive multiplayer game and not just a guild playground.
  • MasterFUNG_ESO
    MasterFUNG_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Actually that wasn't his point at all, though he was a little flippant while expressing it. ZOS chose to make the game the way they did for reasons that many of us are aligned with. We are not here to c**ck-block you as you so elegantly put it, but are instead trying to keep to the original vision they had. We don't want this game to look like every other MMO nor do we want to change/add features to match them either.
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zardayne wrote: »
    My guess the people who don't want tags are the solo players and the leet guilds who don't care to interact with all of the other Pugs/players and forget this is an massive multiplayer game and not just a guild playground.
    A bit harsh no? Nameplates--or the lack thereof--does not actually prohibit anyone from socializing. At most it would be a convenience issue or a lost "oh I didn't realize you were in the area!" moment. Brief things, that. But hardly does it seem like a feature to start name calling for.

That being said, I would be ok with nameplates if certain conditions were met. One would be for them to be disabled in Cyrodil (at least for other factions). I can't tell you how awful it is to find a good hiding spot in a bush or something only to have my nameplate stick out of the wall and rat me out. Second should be obvious enough: a toggle to turn it on or off. Let me choose my preferences and we can all be happy.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually that wasn't his point at all, though he was a little flippant while expressing it. ZOS chose to make the game the way they did for reasons that many of us are aligned with. We are not here to c**ck-block you as you so elegantly put it, but are instead trying to keep to the original vision they had. We don't want this game to look like every other MMO nor do we want to change/add features to match them either.

Other people having nameplates does not affect those who wish to turn it off. Period.

• danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    A bit harsh no? Nameplates--or the lack thereof--does not actually prohibit anyone from socializing. At most it would be a convenience issue or a lost "oh I didn't realize you were in the area!" moment. Brief things, that. But hardly does it seem like a feature to start name calling for.

That being said, I would be ok with nameplates if certain conditions were met. One would be for them to be disabled in Cyrodil (at least for other factions). I can't tell you how awful it is to find a good hiding spot in a bush or something only to have my nameplate stick out of the wall and rat me out. Second should be obvious enough: a toggle to turn it on or off. Let me choose my preferences and we can all be happy.
    Zorrashi wrote: »

I agree with them being forced off in Cyro (for opponents). Alliance indicators are good enough and in games like GW2 they look terrible with 50 people all stacked up. Also with stealth being such a huge part of gameplay in ESO nameplates attend to be too large for hiding behind stuff.

These are reasonable concerns.

• MasterFUNG_ESO
    MasterFUNG_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Other people having nameplates does not affect those who wish to turn it off. Period.

To be honest as long as its an option i don't care but i am getting tired of people demanding things be changed because its considered an MMO staple or because they demand it or their gonna (insert whatever here). Its not your game nor mine, how about trying to enjoy the game the way they made it or i don't know maybe research a bit before purchasing maybe.

Oh and you can drop the "Period" thing. The only matter of "fact" is they chose to leave it out for a reason.

The sad thing is they will most likely cow-tow to the vocal minority as usual. The happy players by and large don't even look at these forums. Their too busy having fun playing.
  • MasterFUNG_ESO
    MasterFUNG_ESO
    ✭✭✭

I think your forgetting this is a game based off TES. Hence no nameplates. So i would argue your reference to solo/leet guilds should also include anyone who was a TES fan which increases that number dramatically. While TES games have all been solo many of us have longed for a good co-op mod or someway to play together and this game works for a lot of those people.
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah please ZOS we want eso to look like this01hqN3q.jpg3udvcI1.jpg

So epic!!

hmmm.....