Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

More layoffs for ZeniMax (Update: Confirmed)

RinaldoGandolphi
RinaldoGandolphi
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/19/rumor-more-layoffs-for-zenimax/
More layoffs for ZeniMax (Update: Confirmed)

The end of this post has been updated with confirmation from Bethsoft as of August 20th.

Comments by a gaming industry recruiter and tech consultant have sparked a Twitter rumor that ZeniMax, the conglom that backs Bethsoft and The Elder Scrolls Online sub-studio ZeniMax Online Studios, has suffered a round of layoffs today, potentially at its hub in Ireland, which primarily supports ESO.

The Galway, Ireland, branch took significant hits to its customer support staff last summer. The ESO studio has lost several key devs this year.

We reached out to Bethsoft several hours ago for comment and will update as we learn more; we welcome more information from involved persons, whose anonymity will be protected.

Update 08/20/2015 8:04:32 AM EDT: A spokesperson from Bethsoft confirmed customer support layoffs to Massively OP in the following statement: “Following the successful PC and console launches of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, we have a thriving online community and have adjusted customer support to meet the ongoing needs of our players.”
Entertainment software company Zenimax Media lays off in Md.

http://thedailyrecord.com/2015/08/20/maryland-zenimax-media-layoffs/

"Rockville-based Zenimax Media Inc. on Wednesday laid off workers from its Hunt Valley location, according to Maryland state records.

"In all, 25 of Zenimax Media’s employees at 101 Schilling Road lost their jobs in the layoff. The action was described in the records as a mass layoff rather than a closure of the site where Zenimax Online Studios operates.

"The company sent notice of the layoffs on Aug. 14, according to the records.

"Zenimax Media did not respond immediately to a request for comment on Thursday."

Twitter Explodes about layoffs in Ireland Supprt Center.

Newspaper reports lay offs at Zenimax in Maryland

Discuss

Edited for Clarity

Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on August 24, 2015 8:02PM
Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
Officer Fire and Ice
Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• whyB
    whyB
    ✭✭✭
    Business is about a bottom line. And to restructure after launch is not new. Stakeholders enjoy profits. This is the same as a department store hiring a lot of "temporary" staff for holidays.
  • Mighty_oakk
    Mighty_oakk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who ever decided to lauch Ps4 IC on the same day as Destiny expansion should get laid off as well.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    untill we see Vvardenfell, dark brotherhood, and also correct class ballances in eso, then i dont see it mattering who is let go of. game should never have existed without those 3 items in it from the very start.
    Edited by Gilvoth on August 24, 2015 5:02PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Note to self: Do not send resume in to Zenimax.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who ever decided to lauch Ps4 IC on the same day as Destiny expansion should get laid off as well.

Probaby already happened! :p

PC EU
  • KaleidoscopeEyz
    KaleidoscopeEyz
    ✭✭✭✭

Prepare for the PSN to crash. Is Microsoft the same day too?
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes sense to reduce support staff. No reason to pay people to copy/paste this, add a few Knowledge Base quips that have nothing to do with the details provided in the ticket, and close the case. A script can do it much more efficiently.
    Greetings,

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited team. In light of the excitement and great demand for ESO TU, we are currently experiencing high contact volume. We encourage you to search our support site at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com for any in-game topics or issues you may have questions about. There are lots of helpful FAQs and links to our social pages.

If you are experiencing any in-game UI issues (including NPC, quest problems and missing crowns/entitlements) can be resolved by logging out for five minutes then back in which will load you into a new game instance.
    Edited by Reverb on August 24, 2015 5:24PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    any outside investor that was looking to invest would seriously be given a long pause at these recent occurrences.

Most outside investors are interesting in lean businesses, they're not interested in companies with bloated payrolls. If they can see that a company's management has taken decisive action to streamline the company then that will give them confidence, not cause to hold back from investing.
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doesn't surprise me, we saw this after PC launch, too. I was kind of expecting it as I've noticed fewer Mods here on the forums sorting threads and such.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, when the company waits for console release in order to release content, then what else can we expect?

This game and brand has been irreparably harmed by whoever made that choice.
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I see that the OP has recently quit as of yesterday(as stated in their signature); and the first thing they do is to create a thread and word it in such a way that it's all "doom and gloom". Some people can't quit in peace, I'm sorry you got tired of ESO, but try not to act like the mainstream media.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So I see that the OP has recently quit as of yesterday(as stated in their signature); and the first thing they do is to create a thread and word it in such a way that it's all "doom and gloom". Some people can't quit in peace, I'm sorry you got tired of ESO, but try not to act like the mainstream media.

Thank you for that fresh and nuanced perspective. I forgot that people who quit aren't able to give their opinion.
    Edited by Personofsecrets on August 24, 2015 5:39PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

nah nice try though.

I actually want this game to do well as the TES Franchise as a whole depends on it, this game fails there may not be a TES 6 so me wanting to say that is absurd.

My reasons for stopping playing have nothing to do with this, Im just posting this as news because its factual and relevent...its not doom and gloom at all, its just current events, nothing more.

I apologize for not liking layoffs.
    i apologize for thinking it sucks people are losing their jobs.
    I apologize that i feel sympathetic for these people who probably have families to feed.

Nope, all doom and gloom eh?

Doom and Gloom would be posting false statements, verified reports of layoffs isn't posting false statements trying to start doom and gloom.

Im sorry my opinion of thinking layoffs suck is taken as doom and gloom.
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Makes sense to reduce support staff. No reason to pay people to copy/paste this, add a few Knowledge Base quips that have nothing to do with the details provided in the ticket, and close the case. A script can do it much more efficiently.
    Greetings,

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited team. In light of the excitement and great demand for ESO TU, we are currently experiencing high contact volume. We encourage you to search our support site at https://help.elderscrollsonline.com for any in-game topics or issues you may have questions about. There are lots of helpful FAQs and links to our social pages.

If you are experiencing any in-game UI issues (including NPC, quest problems and missing crowns/entitlements) can be resolved by logging out for five minutes then back in which will load you into a new game instance.

am I really the ONLY one that did not get this at all, I highly doubt it. do you people actually read what they want/need you to include in the instructions, do you curse and point fingers?
    Edited by RAGUNAnoOne on August 24, 2015 5:51PM
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what I see in his signature "Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)".

Go play a NB. At least BE works every time you cast it and there aren't a dozen ways to instantly counter it. At least your own dots don't stop BE from working correctly. At least your class defining skill hasn't been riddled with problems since launch to the point where people say cloak is broke.
    Edited by LegacyDM on August 24, 2015 5:50PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Here's what I see in his signature "Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)".

Go play a NB. At least BE works every time you cast it and there aren't a dozen ways to instantly counter it. At least your own dots don't stop BE from working correctly. At least your class defining skill hasn't been riddled with problems since launch to the point where people say cloak is broke.

I did have a Nightblade...it was fun...every bit as good as my Sorc just a different playstyle. That has nothing to do with anything, all class can be OP in the hands of great players....Sorc's are toned down a bit in the upcoming update, they can still be powerful with slight changes to playstyle however.
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

• Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭
    Normal practice in game company these days.

Less work to maintain than to build,.
    Tripped over my friends bra.....
    ..she is always setting booby traps!
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Greetings,

am I really the ONLY one that did not get this at all, I highly doubt it. do you people actually read what they want/need you to include in the instructions, do you curse and point fingers?

No one knows if thats really the real reason

Zenimax only has 250 Employees in their Maryland Location, a small amount really to begin with, they laid off 25 of them which is 10% of their staff at headquarters, thats nothing to sneeze at...has nothing to do with doom and gloom, its just news, it happened.

Not only did their top 3 devs leave(Paul Sage, Nick Konkle, and Maria Aliprando), but now they can another 25 from headquarters? You draw your own conclusions, thats not doom or gloom at all its fact...im sorry you don't like that fact, but its fact nonetheless.
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

• RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope499 wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not.

Regardless, you all know it happened, you know the situation, your draw your own opinions, thats why i posted it. Good day.
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

• OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭

This.

Completely normal, for any game company/producer, to let go a large chunk of "non-essential" staff and only keeping around enough to keep things going for maintenance/development.

No one should be looking at this, in any other way, besides this.

Stop predicting "DOOM" Nostradamus. ESO isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OmniDevil wrote: »

This.

Completely normal, for any game company/producer, to let go a large chunk of "non-essential" staff and only keeping around enough to keep things going for maintenance/development.

Not predicting Doom Gloom, just posting news.

I hope your right, because TES 6 needs the money, so ESO needs to keep chugging and hopefully keeps its head above water. :)

You need to understand, i have no hate for this game, i spent since launch as a sub. I didn't leave or stop playing out of some sort of rage, there are just a few issues in the game i don't agree with that need fixing, but no rage or ill will. I'll probably be back at some point, hopefully they get enough cash from this new DLC that they can get more stuff fixed and polished. Until then i'll pursue other adventures :)

Just understand, there is no ill will for me...there are parts of this game that are truly great. So take it easy :)
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

• Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

nah nice try though.

I actually want this game to do well as the TES Franchise as a whole depends on it, this game fails there may not be a TES 6 so me wanting to say that is absurd.

My reasons for stopping playing have nothing to do with this, Im just posting this as news because its factual and relevent...its not doom and gloom at all, its just current events, nothing more.

I apologize for not liking layoffs.
    i apologize for thinking it sucks people are losing their jobs.
    I apologize that i feel sympathetic for these people who probably have families to feed.

Nope, all doom and gloom eh?

Doom and Gloom would be posting false statements, verified reports of layoffs isn't posting false statements trying to start doom and gloom.

Im sorry my opinion of thinking layoffs suck is taken as doom and gloom.

I apologize for being harsh and assuming on the reasons as to why you quit. But you can see why I made such an assumption since threads like this happen often when someone quits and wishes to vent some anger.

What was your intent in creating this thread? The forums can be negative enough without adding bad news that no one has control over. I don't like that people have to lose their jobs, but posting this here does not solve anything or help anyone out.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks customer support for this game is bad?
    Don't tank

• BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OmniDevil wrote: »

This.

LOL a really big one for you too. Almost 2 years since release of PC/MAC 2nd layoffs to come to company and we only have IC on PTS. You guys are funny, this isn't doom and gloom this is a nuclear explosion to the company PERIOD!.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless "big" names start disappearing in bulk I don't see much cause for concern.

How IC is received after launch, and what changes are made to the game between than and the next expansion have more consequential impact on the game's health than layoffs of what seem to be nonessential personnel.
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They had layoffs last September too. Then it was developers, this time it's customer service. It really sucks for the employees who put their faith in the company. Even if you're not laid off, you start to wonder if you're next.
  • sekou_trayvond
    sekou_trayvond
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope your right, because TES 6 needs the money, so ESO needs to keep chugging and hopefully keeps its head above water. :)

I'm fairly certain the future of TES6 is completely tied to FO4 and Todd Howard's team and not ZOS.

And Fallout 4 is going to set Beth sales records, methinks.

• Yattaq
    Yattaq
    ✭✭✭
    This is a pretty standard "I quit and I'm going to only contribute content that pushes other people in the same direction so I can feel vindicated about my decision" thread. These are customer service layoffs. Customer service has nothing to do with the long-term development of the game. It does mean that the demand for CS is lower, and anyone would expect that it would be compared to the first month of console launch. Three developers leaving the studio also has nothing to do with customer service layoffs. You can bet more than three developers have left in the past year, and you can bet that new ones have joined. I'm not sure why people think the gaming industry is different in this regard. People, especially younger people, don't stick at the same gig for more than 5 years typically.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pallmor wrote: »
    They had layoffs last September too. Then it was developers, this time it's customer service. It really sucks for the employees who put their faith in the company. Even if you're not laid off, you start to wonder if you're next.

Its not only Customer Service this time, 25 Employees from Zenimax in MD also got the axe, thats 10% of their 250 employees if that number is still accurate from their Wikipedia page.

just saying. yes and it does suck that people got laid off, it makes me sad to hear this :(
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on August 24, 2015 6:28PM
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

• EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised it hasn't been more and sooner, honestly. Game has been on cash shop auto-pilot for a while now. How many people does it take to make 25 dollar horse skins, anyway?