Maintenance for the week of September 2:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 2
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 3, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 4, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 4, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – September 4, 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why do zergs get 57.5% free damage reduction?

jrkhan
jrkhan
✭✭✭
I believe the following is still in effect since 1.6:
"Removed hard caps on the number of targets that can be affected by area of effect abilities.
AoE abilities can now hit up to 60 targets; the first 6 will take 100% damage, the next 24 targets will take 50% damage, and the last 30 targets will take 25% damage.
Abilities that apply a secondary effect, such as Dark Talons, will only immobilize the first 6 targets who take damage."

Why should this apply to players taking aoe damage in pvp?
Let's say you have an aoe that hits 60 players..
10% of those players take 100% damage, 40% take 50% damage, and 50% are tickled for 25% damage.

So your average player has damage reduced by 57.5%
Does this promote tactical small group play, or does it encourage stacking as many people as possible on to one spot for free damage reduction?
These extra players don't really even need to contribute, just by being there they reduce the chance that any other players take full damage from aoes.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrkhan wrote: »
    "Removed hard caps on the number of targets that can be affected by area of effect abilities.
    AoE abilities can now hit up to 60 targets; the first 6 will take 100% damage, the next 24 targets will take 50% damage, and the last 30 targets will take 25% damage.
    Abilities that apply a secondary effect, such as Dark Talons, will only immobilize the first 6 targets who take damage."

10% of those players take 100% damage, 40% take 50% damage, and 50% are tickled for 25% damage.

Does this promote tactical small group play, or does it encourage stacking as many people as possible on to one spot for free damage reduction?
    These extra players don't really even need to contribute, just by being there they reduce the chance that any other players take full damage from aoes.

And this is why you see the organized raids running with cannon fodder support groups.

16 players in their main group, the group they claim to be, 30-40 running with them that dont "count"

But in the end, the AD blob on Haderus, for example, is 50 strong all of the time.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's seems counter intuitive to addressing the ZERG problem. Most of the AOE skills don't have that great a range, if yer 60+ standing on top of one another while fighting you should be punished, not rewarded. I assume that was some heavy handed change to address complaints of AOE effects? Maybe just reducing the range slightly would have been better.

Maybe I'm missing something?
  • CavalierKing
    CavalierKing
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it's probably to address steel tornado, caltrops, etc. spamming.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't stick together with too many people and you won't have problems with those abilities.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on August 15, 2015 12:21AM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • WRX
    WRX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this really should go honestly. And it means shields take less damage which is definitely not good either.
    Decibel GM

GLUB GLUB
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Your dmg should increase by the amount of people you hit and not decrease..
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • bosmern_ESO
    bosmern_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anything, damage should be increased based on the number of targets hit so it would be possible for a group of 12 to wipe a group of 40
    ~Thallen~
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to hard cap at 6 period.

So the extra damage is more than it was pre 1.6. But I agree, why not just make it 100% for everyone in the area of effect?
  • Morvul
    Morvul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    It used to hard cap at 6 period.

So the extra damage is more than it was pre 1.6. But I agree, why not just make it 100% for everyone in the area of effect?

this!
    reduces calculations to be done by the server - AND incentives for players to spread out a bit, even further reducing calculation load!
    Edited by Morvul on August 15, 2015 5:43AM
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For a long time I've thought that AoE caps were a necessity , but ever since 2.zerg I long for uncapped AoE skills.
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No it's not.

In the early days there were many skills that weren't capped - you know, when the game didn't lag because the server wasn't having to make hundreds, thousands of calculations a second even. People started to QQ about this (of course) because it meant that small, well coordinated groups could effectively wipe out an entire zerg. Zenimax introduced AOE caps (all skills capped at ~6 for the most part) in response to this QQ, and the zergball meta started until it eventually grew into what it was today.

People then QQ'd about this and so Zenimax introduced the system outlined in the OP - which was introduced in 1.6. It's far better than having everything capped I guess, but it's a long way from what we should have - no AOE caps at all!
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • BigTone
    BigTone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Curious, does the AoE cap apply to siege damage too?

Either way, AoE cap is something that should be removed. I want to wipe 15+ with my Proxy+Dawnbreaker
    Big'Tone-V16 DC Sorc AR31
    Sneaky'Tone-V16 DC NB AR22
    Holy'Tone-V12 DC Temp
    Chunky'Tone-33 DC DK (BWB beast)

Worst NB NA
    Roll dodging magicka sorc

"Do you know why they call him Big'Tone?"
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigTone wrote: »
    Curious, does the AoE cap apply to siege damage too?

Either way, AoE cap is something that should be removed. I want to wipe 15+ with my Proxy+Dawnbreaker

Siege isn't AOE capped.
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Garion wrote: »

No it's not.

In the early days there were many skills that weren't capped - you know, when the game didn't lag because the server wasn't having to make hundreds, thousands of calculations a second even. People started to QQ about this (of course) because it meant that small, well coordinated groups could effectively wipe out an entire zerg. Zenimax introduced AOE caps (all skills capped at ~6 for the most part) in response to this QQ, and the zergball meta started until it eventually grew into what it was today.

People then QQ'd about this and so Zenimax introduced the system outlined in the OP - which was introduced in 1.6. It's far better than having everything capped I guess, but it's a long way from what we should have - no AOE caps at all!
    Most skills in ESO have always had AoE caps and only a handful of skills were among the ones who got their caps applied in a later patch.
  • Alomar
    Alomar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been begging for the removal of aoe caps since they announced they were adding them lol. Yet, as those live streams and the *** state Cyrodiil is currently in clearly shows they simply are out of touch with their own game.
    Haxus Council Member
    Former Havoc Commander
    Former DiE officer
    Alomar: 5 Stars - Beast: 3 stars - Kurudin: 5th NA emperor
    Awaiting New World, Camelot Unchained, and Crowfall
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alomar wrote: »
    We've been begging for the removal of aoe caps since they announced they were adding them lol. Yet, as those live streams and the *** state Cyrodiil is currently in clearly shows they simply are out of touch with their own game.

Im still worried removing them further would still make the zerg even stronger

Every time they add something new to try to break the zerg... it just gets copied to every robot in the zerg and makes it that much more efficient and impossible to break

12 proxdets hitting 48 guys, or 48 proxdets hitting 12 guys, its still going to be a nuclear bomb, that is more than likely due to the sheer number of barriers and heals available to the 48 man, going to favor the 48 man.
    Edited by Rylana on August 15, 2015 3:56PM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • WRX
    WRX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »

Every time they add something new to try to break the zerg... it just gets copied to every robot in the zerg and makes it that much more efficient and impossible to break

12 proxdets hitting 48 guys, or 48 proxdets hitting 12 guys, its still going to be a nuclear bomb, that is more than likely due to the sheer number of barriers and heals available to the 48 man, going to favor the 48 man.

While I do agree there has been little success to busting up zergs so far, 100% dmg to all targets would be a huge increase.

These guilds wouldn't even have a strat if they couldnt all mitigate damage to their shields by just stacking.

Add that and more powerful proxy det, bomb squads would be really effective.
    Decibel GM

GLUB GLUB
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My main problem with AoE caps is if a raid of 24 proxdets and a group of 6 proxdets each other, the resulting nuclear bomb leaves the group of 6 completely wiped whereas 18 members of the other raid have at least half their health.
    Edited by Joy_Division on August 15, 2015 9:08PM
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I am able to hit 30+ with a single skill that means that the enemy group is stacking together on a small place.
    Why should they get rewarded for that?
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well imagina a fight 12v24. Who gets more profit from AoE caps?

And lets be honest: ZOS doesnt want 12 ppl to beat 24. Thats just a fact.
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »

Well imagina a fight 12v24. Who gets more profit from AoE caps?

And lets be honest: ZOS doesnt want 12 ppl to beat 24. Thats just a fact.

The group of 24 would have the benefit unless they are stacked tight. If the were all spaced out the group of 24 would still have the advantage. The current game mechanics encourage stacking. No ape cap discourages that. What type of game do you want to play.
    PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also zos doesn't want a game where 12 can beat 24. Then I don't understand why they didn't just go with arenas and battlegrounds. In good rvr games a smart group of 12 should be able to best a dumb group of 24
    PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also zos doesn't want a game where 12 can beat 24. Then I don't understand why they didn't just go with arenas and battlegrounds. In good rvr games a smart group of 12 should be able to best a dumb group of 24

Agreement. C:
    Fluffy
    Senior Fluffykins, Daggerfall Liberator of Haderus, Dragonknight.
    Fliffers, Daggerfall Liberator of Hopesfire, Templar.
    Prophet Fluffy of Death, Casual of the Dominion, Sorceror.
    Nozdorumu The Timeless, Daggerfall. Dragon. Nightblade.
    All my toon names are subject to change.
    " Ignorance must be bliss because I can't imagine why anyone would live in it. " -Fluffy
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The answer would probably be, because palyers would be doing to much damage to npcs in pve. For reasons unknown the damage calculations for npcs and players have remained the same.

Meanwhile, the servers cant handle the big groups and the players dont get the right tools to destroy and discourage zergs. Even the recent prox deto change is useless for stopping zergs, in fact, it has been a buff to zergs.

Reduce incoming healing and increase incoming damage for large number of players in the same area, problem solved!

Two birds, one stone..
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • FENGRUSH
    FENGRUSH
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this issue floods the forums long enough and heavily enough, it may gain some traction. It needs more than a small following.
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And this problem will be going stronger with 2.1.

If the fights are around 50% longer, the 57% dmg mitigation for large gropus will be much much stronger. There is no more way to kill a great blob with a coordinated impact, because of the current AoE caps. The blob will simply hold up theire barriers and heals the impact. After that the DPS discrepancy will kill the smaller group.

So i'm for no AoE cap!
    Edited by Taonnor on August 16, 2015 9:03PM
    Guild

Gildenleiter von Lux Dei (EU/AD). Offizieller Gildenspotlight für ESOTU!
    Guild leader of Lux Dei (EU/AD). Official Guild Spotlight for ESOTU!

Addons & Guides

ESOUI Author Portal: Taonnor
    Addons: Taos AP Session, Taos Group Tools

Myth AoE Cap: DE Mythos AoE Cap // EN Myth AoE Cap

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • FluffiestOne
    FluffiestOne
    ✭✭✭✭
    #REMOVEAOECAP
    Fluffy
    Senior Fluffykins, Daggerfall Liberator of Haderus, Dragonknight.
    Fliffers, Daggerfall Liberator of Hopesfire, Templar.
    Prophet Fluffy of Death, Casual of the Dominion, Sorceror.
    Nozdorumu The Timeless, Daggerfall. Dragon. Nightblade.
    All my toon names are subject to change.
    " Ignorance must be bliss because I can't imagine why anyone would live in it. " -Fluffy
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Remove AoE cap. Its been said since day one. Zergs are gonna get REAL in 1.7.
  • GRxKnight
    GRxKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jrkhan wrote: »

And this is why you see the organized raids running with cannon fodder support groups.

16 players in their main group, the group they claim to be, 30-40 running with them that dont "count"

But in the end, the AD blob on Haderus, for example, is 50 strong all of the time.

Implying that the AD on Haderus is the only one who does this
    Member of Victorem, RÁGE ; Decibel Alumni (RIP)

Kalista Schefer: VR16 AD Sorcerer; Alliance Rank 22

Noxus-Katarina: VR16 AD NB; Alliance Rank 30

Grxknight: VR16 AD DK; Alliance Rank 16

Lorelie Aedel: VR16 AD Templar; Alliance Rank 8