The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do you agree with the ZoS putting a Cap on Champion Points per DLC?

• SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, It will allow others to catch up.
    Death to CP grinders.

Agreed matey.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Set it at 801 give people with 3-400 like myself something to work towards, give the crutch for people to catch up and reward higher experience up until maybe 300 and the reward for people that have worked harder at it than others.
    From what I gathered, you will still be earning CPs even if you're over the cap. I assume they are doing this so that when enough catch up they can raise the cap and repeat. So it's not a bad starting point I find considering the average is apparently under 100.
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't usually talk numbers, but here's some to chew on with regards to the number of champion points players have. The number of players that are going to be affected by the cap is very, very small.
    • Average CP on PC - 93
    • Average CP on PS4 - 46
    • Average CP on XB1 - 44

"The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    501 is enough, if you already have more then that many CP then you clearly need to get off your PC as it would be obvious you don't have a life at all ,and if you are foolish enough to believe grinding for hours on end makes you good at this game know that it doesn't and you should know sitting down all day can restrain blood flow which can be fatal so think about that once or twice.
    Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on October 6, 2015 3:45AM
  • ahstin2001nub18_ESO
    No, I earned all my CP and want to use them
    flohowyo wrote: »
    Sharkano wrote: »
    You know, the fundamental problem with this game is there are a boatload of whiners here, and ZOS always listens to them and nerfbats everything. This company sold subscriptions and XP scrolls on the basis of a 3600 CP system to encourage sales so people could try and get more CP faster. Then, when one rightfully complains about being ripped off, people like Floho attack you for being a "cap farmer," lol. Well, this company sold that right, then stole it away. Shame on ZOS, and shame on me if I ever give them another $1 -- I won't.

i dont attack anybody, i just disagree with guys who play games to farm point's :D

why don't you (and everyone with the anti-grinder mindset) mind your own business about what grinders do in the game.

yes i know who has the players with "leet" champion point counts", and yes they drive me nuts. but they are the few and not the norm. you know what i do? i don't bother with them. the 10 people you all worry about are the least of your concerns. if its only 10 people, then there is no imbalance, just an anomaly. if it is more than 10 people then you are screwing more than 10 people to fit your wants. so what is it? is it punishing the handful of players, or is it just you suck and think its all about the champion system. it couldn't be ANYTHING but the champion system....
    I don't usually talk numbers, but here's some to chew on with regards to the number of champion points players have. The number of players that are going to be affected by the cap is very, very small.
    • Average CP on PC - 93
    • Average CP on PS4 - 46
    • Average CP on XB1 - 44

this only reinforces my stance.... if only 93 players would even be effected by the change.... talk about a waste of time and concern.....
    Edited by ahstin2001nub18_ESO on October 6, 2015 4:32AM
    I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone.

Martin A. Treptow
    1894-1918
  • Sharkano
    Sharkano
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's full of b.s. What the ZOSmaster is not saying is how many are 400-500 and will exceed the cap and then be put on hold. When that happens to me, I switch to play for free. While CP is on hold, my $$ are also on hold. Hope many more do the same.
  • Sharkano
    Sharkano
    ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, the converse of what Lambert is said is also true -- if only 93 will be impacted there is no need to do it at all. Far more than that will be affected, and they know it.
  • Sharkano
    Sharkano
    ✭✭✭✭
    Additionally, if what he is saying is these are the average CP's of the players on those platforms, it's a half-truth purposefully hiding the reality. He would including all the people who haven't played for a long time. The average of people who actually play even modestly on PC has got to be at least double that.
  • Enraged_Tiki_Torch
    Enraged_Tiki_Torch
    ✭✭✭
    I would say the average amongst PC players is probably around 200, 300 for most active players. 93 is definitely adding in non-actives cause you get around 80 for getting to V14.

Now considering 300 is the average amongst most active players and its been out for alittle over 8 months. 500 is a reasonable number for the next 3 months. I hate grinding personally but above all I hate that the playerbase is forced to do it just to keep up.

The people over 500 are grinders meaning that for the last 8 months you have spent time running in a circle killing trash to obtain increased stats with intent to be more powerful than those that don't. If this was SKyrim, who cares but this is an MMO and BALANCE is an important fundamental of the genre.

A game that favors one playstyle over another is a poor game.
    Edited by Enraged_Tiki_Torch on October 6, 2015 5:15AM
    My solution to Champion Point System here
  • Ysne58
    Ysne58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's people like me who don't play their mains all the time that are holding that down. I have 49 or so on the NA server and 3 on the EU server.

It's one of the reasons why I have been suggesting that non vets also earn those cps.
    Edited by Ysne58 on October 6, 2015 5:06AM
  • MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Create a broken system that allows players to pull further ahead of others than intended.

Instead of fixing the system itself, place an artificial cap on it instead to slow down your most dedicated players.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

To be fair, I'm not saying that the system is perfect in any way, but this isn't the fix that should be implemented.

Those that play a lot are not always the top profit margin. It can be the case but it would be a first. Again, not in all cases but usually those that play the most are sitting at their parentsto young to work, to lazy or are disabled (not necessarily living at their parents). They are balancing the game for those with less time to play and new comers alike. This is a much needed change and those saying CP is no as big a deal as its made out to be I can't wait to see your QQ post when you're losing more fights than winning.
    Edited by MikeB on October 6, 2015 5:21AM
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont mess things up!

The catchup mechanics should be enough. A hardcap is just unfair

Edited by Iduyenn on October 6, 2015 5:26AM
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make a cp off campiagn for pvp and a cp on one. We do have the population to accommodate this. Tiered might be a bit too much. Could possibly have campaigns with less than 20 players. They can just leave pve the way it is.
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
  • Ravenfrost
    @ZOS
    I don't agree with a 500 hardcap on CP for PC. Console, you can go ahead, it hasn't been out long, so 500 makes sense. If you were going to put a cap for CP on the PC you should've done it from the get go, 500 is extremely low for PC.

If you have to do a hardcap, it should be 700 minimum since you were measuring CP at 700 and 1000 intervals for "high CP players," then a month later you measured at 1000 and 1500 for more "high CP players." Based on your measurements, I honestly was expecting a cap between 700-1000 when you announced this, not 500. I will be at 500+ CP before this patch and I could easily get to 700 CP if I tried to get it in within two weeks....Everyone I have spoken to about this is laughing at how low it is.

Honestly the catchup system should be enough to NOT have a cap...

Another thought - put the catchup system in and go change the system so you can only get a MAXIMUM CP of 2600, ever. This way, every character is not a carbon clone and you will have variety of points being used differently instead of just a flat 3600.
    Edited by Ravenfrost on October 6, 2015 5:47AM
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another parable: because noone is as fast as Usain Bolt,
    He now has to slow down. Other sprinters will get a headstart, so they can match the Progression.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda, If you can still earn CP even-though you wont be able to always to use all of them.
    I miss actually playing the game rather than judging if an event is worh my time in xp whether i should do it or not. Atm its grind city to play catch up

I just don't enjoy this and so I don't play that way.

I have fun.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think champion points were a poor idea to begin with, even with a seasonal cap. So the cap is 500 now. Maybe 1000 next season, and so on. Let's say it's season 3. How the hell am I supposed to convince a friend to start playing ESO, knowing that he'll have like a half a year of grinding ahead of him until he's competitive?
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally think an effective catch-up mechanic would have done the job but the cap will help extend the life of the CP program... the thing is, how do the players who have MORE than 501 CPs feel about not being able to take advantage of their earnings for... however long it will be until the next cap.
    Edited by Gidorick on October 6, 2015 7:10AM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People spent time grinding a system that wasn't, in its intention*, intended for grinding... and then are surprised when catch-up and cap mechanics are implemented.

I can't decide if my overriding emotion is amusement or resigned despair at the nature of humanity.

*(see dev posts around the time of the CS announcement)
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huggalump wrote: »
    I think champion points were a poor idea to begin with, even with a seasonal cap. So the cap is 500 now. Maybe 1000 next season, and so on. Let's say it's season 3. How the hell am I supposed to convince a friend to start playing ESO, knowing that he'll have like a half a year of grinding ahead of him until he's competitive?

wouldnt surprise me if they really acelarate cp gain to the tier behind the current one.
  • Elektrakosh
    Elektrakosh
    ✭✭✭
    It does not matter to me. I have 2 cp and have no desire to play Cadwell's Silver and Gold so I won't be catching up anytime soon.

This game is too repetitive and decided to just play every so often to give free vampire bites.
    Argonian Painted-By-Elements -Pure Sorceress- Daggerfall Covenant. V1 I hate recipes!
    Altmer Elekwen aka The Pale Lady -Sorceress- Aldmeri Dominion. Vampire Lvl 8
    EU/UK. Xbox One.
    Gtag: Elektra K Otana.

• a.skelton92
    a.skelton92
    ✭✭✭
    I think it should be tough luck if you think "it should be fair".. Gets on my *** when people think that they "should all be equal".. Why the hell should I be equal to the guy who has played twice as long as me.. The idea that i WAS able to progress indefinitely gave me incentive but now what is the point when "dave" who logs in half as much can now be "equal".. Im going to login once a week now as i will still eventually get as good as that guy who plays twelve hours a day.
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the positive side of things, for the very small percentage that this affects, will hopefully A. Go outside for once or B. Quit

either way, it's a win win for us all.
    Edited by Eshelmen on October 6, 2015 8:51AM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda, If you can still earn CP even-though you wont be able to always to use all of them.
    There is no answer to fix the Champion System and imbalance. This "answer" will have players playing when content drops and gone months (the year+ we waited) in between.

that doesn't solve the problem of PVE too hard for low CP and faceroll for even moderate..

Lol really?

the answer is simple for instanced content scaling, don't scale to VR ranks scale content to the group(s) CP. 4 man group dungeon, add the total CP the group members have (up to cap) and split by number of players.

value 0-501 is then used as a scaler for damage/armour/health and w/e else. maybe even tier the brackets to give more adds at a certain CP average bracket. And so much else you can do. I thought of this in 5 minutes I'm sure ZOS can think of a better system for long term implementation.
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vangy wrote: »
    Just make a cp off campiagn for pvp and a cp on one. We do have the population to accommodate this.

Not on EU PC we don't. There is only one campaign with actual three way PvP going on, used to be Thornblade, now Azura's. Others are IC farming and private arenas for guilds facing off.
    Ravenfrost wrote: »
    @ZOS
    I don't agree with a 500 hardcap on CP for PC. Console, you can go ahead, it hasn't been out long, so 500 makes sense. If you were going to put a cap for CP on the PC you should've done it from the get go, 500 is extremely low for PC.

The vast majority of regular players is probably still comfortably below 500 cp.
    Edited by cazlonb16_ESO on October 6, 2015 9:29AM
  • Ravenfrost
    @ZOS
    I can't begin to explain how frustrated I am with the developers of this game, so I am making another post here...

The point is that they implemented this system and it was flawed from the beginning. No one thought this through whatsoever, but that doesn't justify the purposed changes they are making right now. If you are going to implement this change, you may as well go back to pre-champion point system patches, 1.5 and just adjust the classes and balancing from there with NO CP.

Everyone that I play with is laughing at this change because most are about to be at 500 CP or already are above. Whats the point to play now? If there no decent pvp, which is my main focus and is very hard to find now, I can't go grind CP anymore to progress unless I want to gain "unusable" cp, which is a huge waste of my time...this will result in logging off. I have already seen it begin.

You literally took power from our characters when you implemented the CP system and you need about 400 minimum CP to get back to where you were before you implemented the CP system and 500-700 is ideal for point distribution.

2600 cp out of a 3600 CP should be the hardcap forever. This way you don't have carbon clones with all 3600 CP. There is no player diversity in a system where you can get every skill point in a tree. This needs to be addressed, otherwise, we are literally at square one again once people start maxing out. We are all the same, just now with new buffs, so we have the same old balancing problems with some new ones added.

Put in the 2600 maximum rule, apply a catch up system that isn't free hand holding CP that makes sense - For this patch, maybe do a 700-1000 point CP cap for now and go from there.. Ex. your cap for the patch is 700 and u make the catchup system up to 400-450 CP so that way there is still a buffer between people who put effort into gaining CP and those you did not, otherwise you are literally removing everything they have done. If implemented poorly, you are allowing people to end up leveling out with free catchup CP which results in everyone being the same again, so we are now back at square one. If you are leveling us all out to the same CP, then you have proven that there is NO point in the CP system and the game was better off without it.

This game is dying fast and this patch will ensure that you kill it swiftly. This is a mmo and you keep dumbing down the game. This patch, with the purposed changes, is a good way to get rid of your most dedicated players that have been here since day one. I know you want us to just "log in and have fun," but you advertised this as a PvP game from the beginning and you keeping making changes to dumb it down and make it a mindless game.

In addition to dumbing down the game by basically giving everyone the same CP and reducing dmg in pvp recently, you have a huge lack of itemization options now which requires no effort or brainpower to put together a solid build vs previous patches you can run all kinds of different set options. Basically if you don't run Agility/Willpower/Endurance sets, you are wasting your 3 jewelry stats and not maximizing your character. These leaves you with very limited options, 2 piece undaunted or some kind of combo with 5 piece and then a 3 or 4 piece including weapons. Unless of course you want to run v14 jewelry...lol

Also, I should make the point that if I want to gain 200 cp, I can gain that in 2 weeks easily with some time and a little bit of effort....
    Edited by Ravenfrost on October 6, 2015 6:27PM
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If their metrics show an average Champion Rank of 93 for PC players, only counting those accounts that are able to gain CP (i.e. have at least a Vet 1 char) and having logged in in the last 30 days, I think the people complaining about a cap of 500 are a rather insignificant fringe group. Sorry to say that, but that's what it is.

I am probably in the group who will get to that cap before the next DLC is released (currently 380), but the majority of players will not be able to even come close to it.

Honestly speaking, the cap is too high if they intend to raise it every two to three months. Don't misunderstand me, I am happy that it is this high and I could care less about its discussion, but the numbers need to be put in relation.
    ...In addition to dumbing down the game by basically giving everyone the same CP...
    Even with the cap, this is as far from truth as the promise to sustain the game with a subscription model.
  • MikeB
    MikeB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I want to know is what are they going to do when the cap is 2k-3k+? You just have the same issue all over again with new players. @ZOS_RichLambert any insights you can give on this?
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering how they will decide that amount of CP to increase the cap in the future. Personally I think it should scale of the leght of time priod beetween the DLCs. Lets say next DLC after Orsinium will come out 180 days later, so the next cap would be 681. I think 1 CP a day should be a reasonable minimum in consideration.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Ravenfrost
    Leandor wrote: »
    If their metrics show an average Champion Rank of 93 for PC players, only counting those accounts that are able to gain CP (i.e. have at least a Vet 1 char) and having logged in in the last 30 days, I think the people complaining about a cap of 500 are a rather insignificant fringe group. Sorry to say that, but that's what it is.

I am probably in the group who will get to that cap before the next DLC is released (currently 380), but the majority of players will not be able to even come close to it.

Honestly speaking, the cap is too high if they intend to raise it every two to three months. Don't misunderstand me, I am happy that it is this high and I could care less about its discussion, but the numbers need to be put in relation.
    ...In addition to dumbing down the game by basically giving everyone the same CP...
    Even with the cap, this is as far from truth as the promise to sustain the game with a subscription model.

I am sorry, but 93 CP as the average on PC has to be including Non Actives, brand new characters, or people who quit. Considering you got 75 whenever they released CP if you were v14, that says that if you have 93, you don't play more than a couple times a month. If you play this game even semi casually, simply leveling a character from v1-v16 and doing silver quests will net you about 150 CP(questing without EXP pots), so I don't feel this measurement is accurate at all. I have friends who haven't grinded at all and are at 300 CP.....

What I am saying is that they need to be careful how this is implemented. If they implement this catchup system and capping system incorrectly, all players will end up in the same range in the end, so we have no variation and may as well remove CP completely. When this happens, you have negated the CP system that YOU implemented from day one and have also screwed over players who have invested time and effort into their goals. You keep increasing cap and you will also increase the catchup system cap in turn. I am not saying their shouldn't be caps or catchup systems(THEIR SHOULD'VE BEEN FROM DAY ONE), but don't do it the wrong the way, because if you do it wrong, you will ruin the system. If done incorrectly, you will ruin the game and you might as well just give everyone a weekly CP allowance that you just get and can spend without playing.

Again, 500 CP cap is too low, I could get 200 CP in two weeks easily right now. Obviously they haven't explained the exact details of the catchup system in depth, but think about this...If 500 is the cap and you put the catchup system to have an increase in CP gain up to 350 before it starts going back to normal exp, I can roll a new account, use the catchup system and get that character to 350 in no time JUST from leveling to v16 and then get another 150 in about 1.5 weeks if I wanted to easily from leveling another character, grinding, or doing the main story quests for skill points. What do you know, I am immediately caught up to someone who spent months to get their CP. Now during this time, the player who has the CP has 0 incentive to do anything exp related unless they want to earn "unusable CP."

The system needs to be 700-1000 cap with a increased CP catchup cap(cap for extra exp) of 350-400~, otherwise you will have people who are right at your CP that you have spent months to get because devs are dumbing down the game and just handing stuff to everyone. Sorry, but if you can't accept the fact that you are playing an mmo, then maybe you shouldn't have signed up. MMO's do not equal easy mode and they never have, you aren't meant to get everything free or with no work.
    Edited by Ravenfrost on October 6, 2015 10:05PM