The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

User interface and quality of life problems! ESO 2.0 is good... let's make it better.

• wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spoqster wrote: »
    I did a poll recently to get a hint at how many people use addons. The results strongly suggest that ESO needs a UI upgrade, imho.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/157506/is-eso-console-ready-without-addons/p1

It would have been fun to get console players mixed in with PC players in Cyrodiil and watch the cocky fast twitch fps console players get slaughtered in pvp. Addons make a difference.
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An awesome thread but falling on deaf ears I'm afraid.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Valymer wrote: »

Thanks... And as with many things, it's (hopefully) not something that can be left unaddressed forever. Keeping the ideas relevant and active in threads like these helps a lot =). While it's been awhile since this was made, it also may not be an immediate response once (if) a reply is coming if they're deciding what and how to handle it before a writeup. We'll see I guess :p.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on April 2, 2015 6:08PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭✭

You say that just because there's been no response? With the number of @ZOS pings, the responses are diluted, so you won't necessarily get a response... but I'd say that they read them.
    Quasim ibn-Muhammad - VR 12 Redguard Dragon Knight
    Taladriel Vanima - VR 5 Altmer Nightblade
    Ambalyo iyo Bogaadin - VR 1 Redguard Sorceror
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wraith808 wrote: »

You say that just because there's been no response? With the number of @ZOS pings, the responses are diluted, so you won't necessarily get a response... but I'd say that they read them.

No, I don't expect them to reply to this thread, but I don't believe that they have the resources to do major overhauls to the UI. The best we might be able to hope for is that they re-unlock some of the API so that we could eventually get more robust third-party addons, but I wouldn't expect any major UI changes.

The bottom line is that this topic is very controversial, with many people wanting zero new UI features, and many people wanting upgrades. Zenimax is not going to devote a lot of time to something that a sizable portion of the playerbase would be upset about, when there are so many bug fixes, lag issues, and other problems plaguing the game.
  • Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Attorneyatlawl I couldn't possibly agree with you more unless I was you. Keep on keepin on, you articulate [snip] you.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on May 2, 2015 7:00PM
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Daenerys wrote: »
    @Attorneyatlawl I couldn't possibly agree with you more unless I was you. Keep on keepin on, you articulate [snip] you.

ROFL, I love that gif video. :) Thank you for the comments!

[Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
    Edited by ZOS_UlyssesW on May 2, 2015 7:00PM

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/164507/lets-be-really-clear-with-zo-right-now/p1 I thought we couldn't have a real UI and in-game holidays because it would ruin our immersion???? Why do we have on-screen ads for the ridiculous cash shop then? How is that helping gameplay??
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Smiteye wrote: »
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/164507/lets-be-really-clear-with-zo-right-now/p1 I thought we couldn't have a real UI and in-game holidays because it would ruin our immersion???? Why do we have on-screen ads for the ridiculous cash shop then? How is that helping gameplay??

It's an interesting thing, isn't it?

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The console beta's arrived... I'm curious from console players that have tried ESO on the Xbox 1 or PlayStation 4, have there been improvements on the issues currently being discussed here about the PC platform's UI (User Interface)? :)

✭✭✭✭✭
    After seeing the console UI in action it just highlights how lacking in polish and style the PC UI is. I don't like the Skyrim-like inventory management but the console UI looks crisp, clean and modern. It makes the PC UI look terribly dated, IMO.
    NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• Duck
    Duck
    ✭✭✭
    Brandalf wrote: »
    After seeing the console UI in action it just highlights how lacking in polish and style the PC UI is. I don't like the Skyrim-like inventory management but the console UI looks crisp, clean and modern. It makes the PC UI look terribly dated, IMO.

it IS dated.

but for Inventory Management just get the Advanced Filters add-on
    What I lack in gameplaying ability I make up for in smack talk.
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duck wrote: »

it IS dated.

but for Inventory Management just get the Advanced Filters add-on

I do use advanced filters, ty though :) . I'm specifically talking about the inventory management with the console UI.
    Edited by LtCrunch on April 24, 2015 5:26AM
    NerdSauce Gaming

• SorataArisugawa
    SorataArisugawa
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had the exact same experience. I barely ever used interface addons in over 15 years of playing mmo's, until ESO where the default user interface is so lacking in basic and industry standard options and functionality that it would be quite literally unplayable and unenjoyable without them as a result for what I'd wager is the vast majority of current players. The default UI isn't minimalistic even, as it was marketed to be. It's just barren, unintuitive, and has a very large amount of extraneous decorative elements that crowd the screen in presentation while not adding anything of use in information, function, or intuitiveness.

That is just your opinion. The game is not "quite literally unplayable". I could, can and would allways play the game like it is now. I am with you, that ther should be more options, for the people who wants them. But if you go over the top with your accusations, you will achieve nothing.

One of the thinks that made me fall in love with the game is the fact you called "the interface is so lacking in basic and industry standard options and functionality". That should be allways the default position for this game. You start with so much vague in this game. And the informations you get are very small. You don't even now much about your self. The interface of the game offered me that. And I am thankful for that.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had the exact same experience. I barely ever used interface addons in over 15 years of playing mmo's, until ESO where the default user interface is so lacking in basic and industry standard options and functionality that it would be quite literally unplayable and unenjoyable without them as a result for what I'd wager is the vast majority of current players. The default UI isn't minimalistic even, as it was marketed to be. It's just barren, unintuitive, and has a very large amount of extraneous decorative elements that crowd the screen in presentation while not adding anything of use in information, function, or intuitiveness.

That is just your opinion. The game is not "quite literally unplayable". I could, can and would allways play the game like it is now. I am with you, that ther should be more options, for the people who wants them. But if you go over the top with your accusations, you will achieve nothing.

One of the thinks that made me fall in love with the game is the fact you called "the interface is so lacking in basic and industry standard options and functionality". That should be allways the default position for this game. You start with so much vague in this game. And the informations you get are very small. You don't even now much about your self. The interface of the game offered me that. And I am thankful for that.

That's great for when you first start out; everything is new to you, and you don't really care about the nuts and bolts of game mechanics--you simply want to immerse yourself in this beautiful world that ZOS has created.

Then you eventually reach max level and start doing endgame content when you suddenly realize that ZOS has installed many dps checks, healing checks, health/magicka checks, and other such "tests" in the various vet dungeons and trials.

At that point you need to know more detailed information about your character, what exactly it is doing and what is being done to it in order to reach your full potential and beat this challenging content.

But you realize that there is no way to do this with the default UI, because it doesn't tell you anything. You notice that there are no test dummies to practice rotations and work out optimized builds. There is no dueling other players to learn new strategies and make yourself a better PvPer. There is nowhere to check detailed information about your character, such as spell penetration stats or individual resistances.

ZOS designed Elder Scrolls Online with an extremely minimal UI, but then added endgame content that would be almost impossible to beat (well, at least the hard modes) without the incredibly useful knowledge that can only be acquired from addons.

I guess most casuals won't care about this content, but I can assure you that many, many other players do. And not just the super-hardcore ones.
  • krim
    krim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good thread but it seems like most people dont know what a good game is, or just stuck in a ignorant mindset. ZOS said from the beginning if enough people want it we will implement it. Well look where we are now.
    An endgame players disappointed/frustrated thoughts.
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭

So true, and I doubt they even have the manpower to add new features to the game since the layoff last year.

When they say "new content", they are probably talking about future DLC's, not new GUI's or polish. One can only hope they still have the resources to fix the numerous bugs that still plague the game.

• LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So true, and I doubt they even have the manpower to add new features to the game since the layoff last year.

When they say "new content", they are probably talking about future DLC's, not new GUI's or polish. One can only hope they still have the resources to fix the numerous bugs that still plague the game.
    The layoff was mostly CS reps. I don't think there were actually any devs layed off. Except maybe some artists.
    Edited by LtCrunch on April 27, 2015 5:59AM
    NerdSauce Gaming

• Valymer
    Valymer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The layoff was mostly CS reps. I don't think there were actually any devs layed off. Except maybe some artists.

They are hiring, although no way to tell if it's for ESO or other projects:

vwvpxf.png

http://www.zenimaxonline.com/
  • renton1x1x1
    renton1x1x1
    ✭✭✭
    Good work :)
    Renton Sc Breton Sorcerer VR14
    Renton Tp Argonian Templar VR14
    Renton Dk Imperial DragonKnight VR14
    Renton Nb Khajiit Nightblade VR10 Vampire

www.alitheso.com Casual Social EU PvX Guild

Ebonheart Pact EU PVP Decimation Elite Azura's Star
    The Traveling Merchant
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/190077/the-traveling-merchant-eu-craglorn-trading-guild

So let me get this straight: You want to ride on a magic carpet to see the king of the potato people and beg with him for your freedom. And you're telling me that you're completely sane? - Rimmer - Red Dwarf V - Quarantine
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good work :)

:)

✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's just hope they will at least switch the pc UI to the console design in June.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    spoqster wrote: »
    Let's just hope they will at least switch the pc UI to the console design in June.

That would be nice... :D.

✭✭✭✭✭
    So I stumbled across a beta video for PS4 here.
    Anyone else thinking that they've tweaked it to look far more Skyrimish than PC?
    Observant wrote: »
    I can count to potato.
    another topic that cant see past its own farts.
    WWJLHD?
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    MorHawk wrote: »
    So I stumbled across a beta video for PS4 here.
    Anyone else thinking that they've tweaked it to look far more Skyrimish than PC?

Didn't play Skyrim, myself (made it through the intro sequence before giving up), but it does look much cleaner.

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing a lot of bugs being discovered lately that would have been immediately obvious if we had basic buff and debuff icons, such as crowd control immunity being broken against some skills such as a nightblade's fear when breaking free. It not only is a gameplay issue, but when a new player comes online and their first questions in zone chat are how to see what they're hitting for or why they can't have more than one quest on their screen, only to find out they need to go spend an hour finding out what addons they need to track down and install to make the game have a baseline quality on the UI, it doesn't give a great first impression. They should be able to hop right in and play the game, not play Google in their web browser to find out what's missing from the game that is typically wanted like a minimap or seeing what you looted in the chat box.

✭✭✭✭✭
    Takhistis wrote: »
    What's with all the lag talk? I play GMT+1 on EU and NA from 6pm till 1AM without any lag o.o

No one's awake at that time, that's why, Takhistis.
    If you can't handle the heat...stay out of the kitchen!
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's very much off peak @arena25.

✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without addons providing the information they do, we would all still be using completely broken skills not doing what they say they do (more-so), investing in traits that do not work, using mundus stones that do nothing, and piling points in to CP stars that do nothing.

They say ignorance is bliss (and they are right in some cases) but not here, not in this game. In this game ignorance just makes you terrible, while knowledge makes others stronger. Why some would choose to not have knowledge in this case is something I do not understand. The whole game is based on growing your character.
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Without addons providing the information they do, we would all still be using completely broken skills not doing what they say they do (more-so), investing in traits that do not work, using mundus stones that do nothing, and piling points in to CP stars that do nothing.

They say ignorance is bliss (and they are right in some cases) but not here, not in this game. In this game ignorance just makes you terrible, while knowledge makes others stronger. Why some would choose to not have knowledge in this case is something I do not understand. The whole game is based on growing your character.

That, good sir, is spot on the mark. The entire game genre of "RPG", from back in pen and paper dungeons and dragons games through modern massively multiplayer ones, is always focused on character development, fueled by story, combat, learning, and skill. In an online version where you are competing with others constantly from the beginning of the game either economically, monster areas, arms race of gear and levels, or literal player vs player warfare in Cyrodiil, ignorance isn't bliss. It's just ignorance, and makes no real sense as to why one would want to be purposefully so, let alone force that upon other players by demanding basic gameplay information is outright hidden, or made very difficult to even find out about in the first place. Instead of just game balance problems, we now have the knowledge gap on top of that which can quite literally allow characters of similar power to simply be decimated by one another if one player knows the rules of the game and the others don't.