Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

ESO Needs Small Scale PvP.

• o_0
    o_0
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play this game for the large scale PvP that was advertised. If i want smaller scale PVP, i have many other games to chose from.
    Options
  • jmrakasb14_ESO
    I love OP's idea, this would add a lot to the game in terms of PVP, I remember the days when I used to play WoW, Arena PVP was amazingly addicting! I am sure they could implement something like this without toooooooo much problem.
    EVGA Z97 Classified
    i7 4790K@
    2x eVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified's
    32GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz
    Kingston HyperX Savge 240GB
    2x Kingston HyperX3k 128GB Raid-0
    2x WD VelociRaptors 500GB Raid-0
    CoolerMaster M2 SilentPro 850W
    Options
  • Naor_Sarethi
    Naor_Sarethi
    ✭✭✭
    because veteran pvp is so populated. 49 pvp has massive player amounts while veteran groups are scarce to non existent. at 8 pm on a saturday that is. so no the usual arena/ box pvp won't do any good. i love how people want to make this game into one of the games they know just because they can't adapt to a new system.
    Options
  • HeroOfNone
    HeroOfNone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may like to read through this suggestion on arenas, who's core idea is to add in battlegrounds and offers several mechanics and ideas to do so.

It's a long post, but there is a lot of dialog with a lot of the arguments here already discussed and some research more on possible future battlegrounds.
    Herfi Driderkitty of the Aldmeri Dominion
    Find me on : Twitch | Youtube | Twitter | Reddit
    Options
  • giff2830_ESO
    giff2830_ESO
    ✭✭
    because veteran pvp is so populated. 49 pvp has massive player amounts while veteran groups are scarce to non existent. at 8 pm on a saturday that is. so no the usual arena/ box pvp won't do any good. i love how people want to make this game into one of the games they know just because they can't adapt to a new system.

Actually with the B2P change, I'm sure we are going to see a huge population swing. I think Daoc type battlegrounds would be a welcome thing. Let's just see how the population really goes.
    I love the existing system, but level restricted battlegrounds would be great and shouldn't effect the existing system being most of us know that if you are level 20 you are just cannon fodder.
    Options
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, they just need to create more incentives for people to spread out around Cyrodiil.

Right now, everyone in the server stacks on top of the keep under attack because that's where all the AP is.

If there were small forts and other objectives that were meaningful, that would do a lot to help.

I mean, they can be creative, how about factions can take over the quest towns and the delves? How about small outposts that can be taken that are way out there?

The sky is the limit, yet it always comes down to zerging the same keeps over and over.
    Options
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that we could use skirmishes or whatever you'd call small scale pvp, though I'd also say you could still tie it into Cyrodil by making the skirmishes count for say control of say 3 main trade routes (ADvsDC, DCvsEP, EPvsAD) into Cyrodil.

Control of trade routes would provide say a base points gain and slight discount on alliance goods.
    Options
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just want 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc, all through 12 man groups. I think that would be super fun. Of course, players will still roam around in Cyrodiil, but it would be nice to have something new to do.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
    Options
  • Nivzruo_ESO
    Nivzruo_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then you would destroy Cyrodiil pvp.

If small scale pvp destroys cryodiil, then it's because everyone likes small scale better then lag zerg/ run sim.. Add area, also BG/WZs
    Nelgyntc- V14 NB
    Options
  • Mystikkal
    Mystikkal
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, but this is always a poor argument. The overall number of PvPs in the game greatly diminishes when you dont have competitive, organized PvP because many people refuse to play a game that doesn't have that supported. The argument that people will be drawn from Cyrodill to organized play is all the more reason to implement organized play - it shows that thats what people really want to do (assuming rewards are comparable).

If you implement organized play soon, you will still have a strong enough PvP community to support both. This should be a TOP priority. There are so many people that won't play this game because there is no organized play. What do you lose by implementing it? If people leave cyrodill, it's because organized play is more fun - and therefore the overall experience is better for people. I would argue, though, that you would actually grow the world pvp base, because you will grow the overall pvp base.. and those that are now drawn to the game because you have areans/battlegrounds will also world pvp from time to time.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Options
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Until the entire population of the game died, Warhammer had strong Realm V Realm pvp and warzone/battlefields, GW2 has strong realm vs realm pvp and has large and small scale instanced pvp....whoever mentioned Illum on SWTOR, that failed on its own merits, and had nothing to do with warzones.
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If small scale pvp destroys cryodiil, then it's because everyone likes small scale better then lag zerg/ run sim.. Add area, also BG/WZs

Depends on how they do it. Everyone could love large scale battles better but if they make short, small instant matches more efficient at earning AP or PvP gear, then people have a habit of taking the path of least resistance.

That said; my big problem with small scale PvP remains in being that balance issues are more magnified the smaller you go. Once they become clear, you then begin to have clear favorites in cookie cutter builds and rude behavior toward anyone who doesn't conform from those who then take it very seriously in order to win. Then the next phase is some people will want ranked and that then becomes the focus and attitudes become even more serious and vile.

People always say they want this stuff but I only ever see a shrinking and more derogatory PvP community with it
    Options
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They already built a functioning PvP arena to demo the game at E3 2014, and something they'll only add if they feel it's warranted:

Q&A: 3v3 Arena at E3

Apparently ZOS is allergic to money. Had they implemented it I likely never would've taken a 5 month break from the game.
    Options
  • ader
    ader
    Soul Shriven
    Bump this thread. 100% agree. It would be awesome if this game implemented ANY small scale pvp ranging from 2v2, 3v3 ("arenas") all the way up to 10v10, 15v15 ("battlegrounds"). It's probably something that will come with time. I personally find small sized pvp one of the most entertaining features in a game, because that's where skills matter most.
    Options
  • BugCollector
    BugCollector
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn straight!
    May knowledge guide you to enlightenment
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valnas wrote: »
    queue's in the last week have exceeded 100 during peak hours, i saw 3 servers not including bwb poplock across 3 factions.

The sad truth is that the lag is already destroying Cyrodiil.

I must confess that as a non-PvPer, I am struggling to see through all the constant complaints and get to the truth about PvP in this game. It appears to be so unplayable that people are queuing up to do it!
    Options
  • wrlifeboil
    wrlifeboil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you thinking about small scale pvp in instances like battlegrounds or arenas? I think ZOS's idea of small scale pvp is fewer than 10 people fighting somewhere in Cyrodiil. So when the servers are empty during non-prime time or you get ambushed in a Cyrodiil delve, they can say the game already has small scale pvp. ;)
    Options
  • c0rp
    c0rp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last thing the devs of this game need is "ranked arena pvp QQ' about class and ability balancing. They are having a hard enough time as is.

I'll concede to some "battleground" type gameplay, but NO WAY to "epeen WoW arena". NO.

Edited by c0rp on April 6, 2015 9:16PM
    Force weapon swap to have priority over EVERYTHING. Close enough.
    Make stamina builds even with magicka builds.
    Disable abilities while holding block.
    Give us a REASON to do dungeons more than once.
    Remove PVP AoE CAP. It is ruining Cyrodiil.
    Fix/Remove Forward Camps. They are ruining Cyrodiil.
    Impenetrability needs to REDUCE CRIT DAMAGE. Not negate entire builds.
    Werewolf is not equal to Vamps/Bats.
    Options
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    I will say there probably are a lot of PvPers looking for arenas. Because once they get them, then realize that they A: Aren't as god as they thought or B: Realize how poorly balanced an MMO is when it comes to small scale PvP; they quit. Those that don't; go on to whine about said imbalances or demand a ranked version so they can whine with more importance behind it; then whine some more due to win trading, premades vs PUGs, and trolls who tank in ranked one way or the other.

Yep. Sure a lot of them need a new home to pollute all over again.

EDIT: Forgot some of the vile to go with arenas and its players. Whine about someone showing up without what they consider optimal builds or even just using an "underpowered class" at all to ruin their hardcore experience. Then the subsequent other side of this where people whine some more about their underpowered class.

Unfortunately this is true. Smaller Scale PVP allows users to run more accurate numbers, see what is and isn't working properly and what is imbalanced. IT can be a good thing if the designers want to balance it out well but it can be a source of constant gripe if things are left unattended. Outside of balance issues, people are elitist in pve just as much as pvp so you'll have similar issues with classes, skills, builds whatever. That's just life but I think much of it can be overlooked with a good system for queuing and penalties for leaving matches.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
    Options
  • lovESOng
    lovESOng
    ✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is enough PvP. Small battles, large battles, anything you want.
    Also, since this game is B2P now i highly doubt that there will be much development for PvP in the future.
    Options
  • joshisanonymous
    joshisanonymous
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Fedrals / EP / Dunmer Nightblade

Options
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would also have to make sure no PVP bonuses INCLUDE emperor bonuses are applied

But small scale PVP 4v4 will just be 4 DK vs 4 DK. Lots of classes are designed to be sneaky or mass vs mass. I don't think small scale PVP would be that much fun with the current skill\class setup.

At the moment, the only real winner in PVP is the lag monster.
    Options
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    c0rp wrote: »
    The last thing the devs of this game need is "ranked arena pvp QQ' about class and ability balancing. They are having a hard enough time as is.

I'll concede to some "battleground" type gameplay, but NO WAY to "epeen WoW arena". NO.

I'll agree that we get more QQ related to build- and class balance. That's unavoidable. But still, I feel the game is way more balanced when doing small scale PvP and duelling. Almost feels like that's what developers had in mind when they sat down and looked at skills and combat mechanics.

In small scale you can block and dodge everything reactively instead of pro-actively, no one dies in 1 second, can time CC immunity, use proper counter play and see clearly what every enemy is doing.

In large scale you're like cc'ed from nowhere every 10 second, lagged out, cant see whose attacking and from what direction, people blow up instantly with a TKK being worse than your average shooter, cant focus and properly target players hiding in zergs, mash AoE, cant even see what's friendly and what's enemy half the time, red circles everywhere and so on. It's so messy.

So I do think some kind of battle ground would work, the combat system already supports that kind of game play.
    Options
  • Dudis
    Dudis
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been against the concept of instanced pvp. There's plenty of smallscale pvp to be found on cyrodiil if you bother to go looking.

Wow adding game-y instanced BGs with capture the flag and whatnot is the worst thing ever to happen to the MMO genre imo.

That said, I can't say I disagree with everything you're saying, i just think there are better sollutions.

Oh, I never siege or zerg btw.
    Options
  • Lulufia
    Lulufia
    ✭✭
    I would love to have Arena (or even BGs) but the number one thing you need to make sure is NOT to give rewards from these, otherwise you will see the biggest scumbag tactics to emerge like in WoW also people will ignore cyrodiil for arena if the rewards are too great. (best pvp gear, unique mounts, lame fancy titles etc)
    Options
  • Area51Visitor
    Area51Visitor
    ✭✭✭
    Dueling needs it's own place. I've seen AD/DC guilds building AP in large groups late at night under the guise of "dueling".
    Options
  • Proscar
    Proscar
    ✭✭
    I agree, BGs and arena type formats would add a new dimension and would draw more folks in that don't want something as huge as cyrodiil. Games with quick respawns and then back into the fight are more appealing than having to run such great distances just to get back to the battle (and then die and repeat). For those without alot of time per session, it is nice to get a short intense smashface battle in and then log, as opposed to the highly tactical and drawn out fights in cyrodiil.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm so bringing back ranks...which seems logical.
    No idea why the PvP levels didn't stick with this during closed BETA....
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 6, 2015 11:17PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • Theosis
    Theosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bfish22090 wrote: »
    I agree. Right now we can just play on non-busg servers.
    Pvp justice system will bring some of that.

I hope that even happens.. pvp justice system
    This is were my signature would be if I was allowed one.
    Options