The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Is ESO console ready without Addons?

• ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    Seraphyel wrote: »

ESO is a dozen times more of a "spam buttons" game than WoW or SW:TOR are. Nowhere else I repeatedly use the same skill a million times (like Wrecking Blow spam or things like that).

The other part about the addons... there is absolutely no room for more discussion about it, I'm tired to explain it to guys like you again and again.

Its just funny that you don't explain anything but that you need addons for the mathmatics. Just stop whining and play the game or download the addon you so dearly want. Don't force it upon those who wants an immersive elder scrolls experience. If you want to have that WoW/SW:TOR UI you so dearly wish for, download the bloody addon and get over with it.

As for the first comment, you've clearly not played either then. ESO is MUCH more action orientated than both SW:TOR and WoW. Those two games are cookiecutter hotkey tab-targeting MMO, which ESO is not even remotely close to be. In ESO you're constantly on the move, striking your foes with both abilities, light and heavy attacks. Where the same can't be said about WoW nor SW:TOR.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
    Options
  • TheLaw
    TheLaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are some addons I cannot do without. I wouldn't play if these addons didn't exist.
    ESO is missing quite of few basic features seen in most MMO's.
    -= Shahrzad the Great |Sorc| =-
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are some addons I cannot do without. I wouldn't play if these addons didn't exist.
    ShadowHvo wrote: »
    If you want to have that WoW/SW:TOR UI you so dearly wish for, download the bloody addon and get over with it.
    You don't get it. This thread started out as musing about consoles; console players can't "download the bloody addon". They're stuck with the vanilla UI, so it's in everyone's best interest for ZOS to include certain addon features as optional in the base game. I don't know why anyone would be against simple quality of life improvements like Advanced Filters, word search in guild stores or a DPS meter.
    Edited by Rosveen on March 15, 2015 4:54PM
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    TheLaw wrote: »
    ESO is missing quite of few basic features seen in most MMO's.

That can be either a bad thing or a good thing, depending on your personal approach to the game. If you want it to be another standard MMO clone then you'll miss those things, if you want it to be an online ES game then you won't be looking for them.
    Options
  • gurugeorgey
    gurugeorgey
    ✭✭
    I play with addons, but could imagine playing without addons.
    It's funny, I've been through phases. Initially I really loved the minimalism of the UI, because it forces you to look into the virtual world rather than at icons and clickies in the UI.

Then I got into addons, tons of addons, so it was like every other MMO that has addons - information by the bucketload.

Then more recently, I've pared back on some of the addons, realizing that you actually do lose something by having too much info - at least, in terms of the levelling game and exploring the virtual world.

I think addons are fine once you've been through the game and smelt the roses, so to speak, but it's probably a mistake (in the sense of, you're doing yourself out of a possibly fun experience) to leap into the addons too quickly. I think the minimalism of the stock UI has had a LOT of thought put into it, and it pays off if you go with the flow.

I'd say to any new player, give the default UI time to breathe, get used to it, and let it do its job of keeping your eyes focussed in the virtual world, before you go for the info overload. Then once you've pretty much seen everything there is to see and done everything there is to do, and you've wrung the virtual worldeyness dry - then for endgame play, by all means, stack up the addons and the info and go for efficiency.
    Edited by gurugeorgey on March 15, 2015 4:58PM
    Options
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    There are many add ons that I use to make things easier to play on PC but I am assuming that the console UI will be revamped to include several features of the most popular add ons.

If they don't the Console version will be very very unwieldy and time consuming for inventory and banking, which is what I rely on add ons for. Without Advanced Filters, AwesomeGuildStore, and Bank Manager Revived, I would play about an hour and then have to mess around with inventory for 20 min in order to have bag space. Unless I don't loot anything and then I won't be able to make any money at all.

Although I do have other add ons for map locations, crafting, research tracking, and harvesting, I can easily play without those, but its the inventory add ons that save a lot of time and simplify things that I really need.
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
    Options
  • Kalfis
    Kalfis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only addons I use is Skyshards and the mage book one.
    Anything else isn't needed for me.

Could care less about seeing damage numbers, not all that useful in ESO.

The default UI is good, don't see any problem with it, other than it breaking ALL THE *** TIME SINCE 1.6
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All these PC players arguing over addons. smh
    On PC you can have them, on console we are used to playing without addons on games.
    Hell some games on console the screen just turns shades of red as you get close to death.
    We get used to watching other visual clues and game mechanics.
    I managed 800 hours in Skyrim on PS3 without mods or addons, albeit I put in another 900 hours on PC with mods. lol
    It is what it is.
    Edited by TequilaFire on March 15, 2015 5:18PM
    Options
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think anyone who has ever manually re-stacked an entire guild bank with 500 slots filled with multiple small stacks of various crafting materials would be very hard pressed to do it again. And again. And again. "Roomba" saves me from going crazy doing a routine that is needed only because ZOS disabled auto stacking in guild banks and never enabled it again.

The few other add-ons I use, well, I could probably live without them. Advanced Filters is nice to avoid a lot of scrolling through lists, and FTC is good for numbers when I want them, perhaps to check the HP of a boss to see what I am up against, or try to find a better way of getting through a fight, but it wouldn't kill my fun if I didn't have them.
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think anyone who has actually tried Research Assistant or Advance Filters and decided to do without them must be at least mildly masochistic.
    The game is easily playable without addons. Those that claim it isn't are merely spoiled by them.

It is playable, but "easily" playable? If you enjoy tracking your 300 different research options by pen and paper chart every time you go to sell some junk then sure.

But I would say the game is "easily" playable with addons and more difficult without.

Oh I'm sorry if you can't manage your own inventory? I've played since the early launch of the game and -never- had a problem playing the game without addons. Sure, some addons help, but they are nowhere near NEEDED to play the game, as so many addon obsessed people makes it out to be. You can easily play the game effectively without any of the many addons out there, and that's coming from a dude who has maxed all professions, have all traits except a few nirnhoned, have completed all PvE content except CoA and regulary enjoyes wandering around in Cyrodiil and ambushing random enemies.

Those guys who claim that they can't play the game without addons? Thats their problem that they can't play an MMO without the generalized standard WoW UI with minimaps, faceportraits, actionbottoms and the like. Zenimax's UI caters to an elder scrolls MMO game, and it fits very well in as such. It's not their fault that other players are obsessed with specific addons. But claiming you can't play the game effectively without addons? Thats a plain lie and outright wrong, because quite a few are just fine and capable of doing so.

I think you missed my point entirely, and the fact that I essentially agree with you. Note which option I chose for the poll.

The game is "playable" without addons. But it's harder. Why would anyone want tracking crafting traits researched to be more difficult? Why would anyone want sifting through their inventory to be extra tedious?

I used a paper and pen for my crafting research before using Research Assistant. It is and still is doable. But it's a PIA also.
    Options
  • hollywood
    hollywood
    ✭✭✭
    ESO just needs to include damage numbers and numeric values do Health/Stamina/Magicka to the default interface , with the option to turn it off. I imagine most of the player base uses FTC or something similar.
    Arkos Fortune - Kaor - Koras Fortune - Delaia - Leorio - Niota - Nyraele - Karos Fortune - Elara Fortune - Penélope - Frolics-in-the-swamp - Arynael - Sarovius - Eranyel
    Options
  • Thymos
    Thymos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, I really just do not care. I am going to be happy playing on my computer, and will continue to do so with all the addons I have. The console versions are going to have their own servers, and I wont have to party with them here on the NA server.
    The Older Gamers Recruitment Thread
    Always accepting new members for NA and EU server. PvP PvE RP all welcome. Must be 25+ yo to join.
    http://www.theoldergamers.com/
    Options
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.

I think you missed my point entirely, and the fact that I essentially agree with you. Note which option I chose for the poll.

The game is "playable" without addons. But it's harder. Why would anyone want tracking crafting traits researched to be more difficult? Why would anyone want sifting through their inventory to be extra tedious?

I used a paper and pen for my crafting research before using Research Assistant. It is and still is doable. But it's a PIA also.

I did, my apologize.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
    Options
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    There seems to be a belief by some that you cannot play to maximum efficiency and competitiveness without add-ons.

Guess what? We don't all seek to achieve maximum efficiency and competitiveness in our computer games - some of us just play for them fun.

Doesn't change the fact that you can't play to maximum efficiency without addons. All you stated is that you play for fun, which is entirely on of course, but for those whose definition of fun entails competitive builds and maximizing potential, addons are a must.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
    Options
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    If you want to have that WoW/SW:TOR UI you so dearly wish for, download the bloody addon and get over with it.
    You don't get it. This thread started out as musing about consoles; console players can't "download the bloody addon". They're stuck with the vanilla UI, so it's in everyone's best interest for ZOS to include certain addon features as optional in the base game. I don't know why anyone would be against simple quality of life improvements like Advanced Filters, word search in guild stores or a DPS meter.

What he said. Honestly not much to talk about here and no need to grow hostile like something is being forced on you.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
    Options
  • lathbury
    lathbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not ignorance, it's the truth.

If you don't have combat numbers, you know nothing. Everything else might work but without numbers you just take away the most essential part of the "thing" behind the combat, the mathematics.

People like you don't get the bottom line of this whole discussion. As long as nobody is using numbers, everbody could be fine. But as soon as some people use numbers and others don't, those people with numbers always have an advantage.

To know what happens is crucial for successful gameplay and without numbers (and maybe buff / debuff overview) you just neglect a core part behind the combat system and limit yourself (and others in your group).

It's like you're riding your bike while you keep hitting the brakes.

Thats not even remotely close to the truth? Yes, in essence the game is all a bunch of numbers, but you can effectively play without knowing those numbers as long as you practice and hone your own abilities. I don't use addons, yet I've slaughtered a lifetime worth of FTC users in Cyrodiil and done the same DPS as FTC users in PvE content. You don't need to see those numbers, as long as you still can see that healthbar dropping.

It makes it -easier- but it's nowhere near required to play the game. Just because you're at a handycap without them doesn't mean the rest of us are. If you want to play a traditional MMO where you stand and spam buttons then go back to WoW or SW:TOR or what other game you find to have the "Perfect UI" to your taste. ESO does not have it implemented, but you can get it with addons. Then take it or leave it as you yourself so desire. But yet again, it is outright false and wrong to claim that you can't play effectively without, because you absolutely can.

Again, because you need training wheels doesn't mean that everyone does. Get them if you want to, but don't try to force us who can ride our bike just fine to get them too.

there is no way you could know that part in bold and im betting you didn't as the ftc user can tweak his build to get every last spec of damage out you cannot as you have no frame of reference.
    Options
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I hope I don't get banned for saying this, but... all games are better without addons.
    I wish nothing but joy for everyone.
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spoqster wrote: »
    I haven't seen the new UI yet, but...

...is ESO console ready without Addons?

There is no realistic way to answer this question without actually seeing the console UI. If some people have to have a particular (set of) add-on(s) to play then the console format is not the option for them. Speculation is still fun, of course :)

Edited by tinythinker on March 15, 2015 9:45PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    There seems to be a belief by some that you cannot play to maximum efficiency and competitiveness without add-ons.

Guess what? We don't all seek to achieve maximum efficiency and competitiveness in our computer games - some of us just play for them fun.

for those whose definition of fun entails competitive builds and maximizing potential, addons are a must.

Yes of course, I entirely agree. There are those for whom add-ons are a necessity and those for whom they are completely unnecessary. My objection is purely to those who argue that add-ons are essential for everyone and that those who don't use them are limiting themselves in every possible way, or failing to play effectively, etc. They're assuming we all play the same way and with the same motivation, which simply isn't true.
    Edited by Tandor on March 15, 2015 9:37PM
    Options
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.

Doesn't change the fact that you can't play to maximum efficiency without addons. All you stated is that you play for fun, which is entirely on of course, but for those whose definition of fun entails competitive builds and maximizing potential, addons are a must.

I could not disagree with this more. I believe it's simply not true in the slightest.

Addon's might make some things more obvious and clearer, but saying the absolute of 'can't' without them?, No, that's just narrow-minded in my view. Whether an addon is deemed 'a must' or not is up to the individual using them, not the application it's used for. It's a qualitative thing, not quantitative.
    Edited by Rev Rielle on March 15, 2015 10:07PM
    If you can be anything, be kind.
    Options
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone show me how to use igneous weapons effectively without an add on.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Options
  • Zhoyzu
    Zhoyzu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    i use FTC but i have almost everything in it set to off. otherwise im pretty much add on free
    Zhoyzu - Nightblade Alchemist (v15) RETIRED
    Has-No-Heart - Templar Enchanter (v4) FUBAR
    Ambadassador - Dragon knight (v1) Naked with no future (returned from the naked realm to tank PvE)
    Sakis Tolis - Sorceror (v10 in progress) Living Legend!

Xuhl'Xotuun - Warden Current Main as im starting the game over essentially with this character aside from crafting.

Creator of Khajiit fall dmg reduction racial passive concept.

Options
  • pppontus
    pppontus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion to ZOS:

Check if anyone in the history of ESO ever completed SO without addons. I'd be interested to know!

If not, then maybe they can also figure out that their so called visual indicators aren't working out the way they thought they would.
    Options
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO is a dozen times more of a "spam buttons" game than WoW or SW:TOR are. Nowhere else I repeatedly use the same skill a million times (like Wrecking Blow spam or things like that).

The other part about the addons... there is absolutely no room for more discussion about it, I'm tired to explain it to guys like you again and again.

Its just funny that you don't explain anything but that you need addons for the mathmatics. Just stop whining and play the game or download the addon you so dearly want. Don't force it upon those who wants an immersive elder scrolls experience. If you want to have that WoW/SW:TOR UI you so dearly wish for, download the bloody addon and get over with it.

As for the first comment, you've clearly not played either then. ESO is MUCH more action orientated than both SW:TOR and WoW. Those two games are cookiecutter hotkey tab-targeting MMO, which ESO is not even remotely close to be. In ESO you're constantly on the move, striking your foes with both abilities, light and heavy attacks. Where the same can't be said about WoW nor SW:TOR.

May I ask what "build" you are using for PvE? You figured out a build by yourself? Or are you taking the "best" cookie cutter build you can find in the forums that others figured out for you by using mathematics? I am quite interested in your answer but I think it's quite obvious. All hat and no cattle.

ESO is action orientated? Just because you aim at your targets by scrolling over them? You are spamming the same skill on and on due to the combat system. That's what makes it so boring. SW:TOR and WoW may not have an action-orientated combat system, but the overall approach of their system is deeper than ESOs. ESO is even more AoE-Spam in PvE (and even PvP lol) than those other two games.

You can get your immersive Elder Scrolls experience with those UI options by simply turning elements of you don't want to see.

My statement above applies to everybody refusing to use addons - what builds are all of you using? If you use builds found in forums made by theorycrafters, you just expose yourself as someone hating addons but still taking use of them.
    Edited by Seraphyel on March 16, 2015 5:45PM
    Options
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I love that all of the "I couldn't do without add-ons" posters are admitting that they could totally play without add-ons.

You guys realize that there was an option for that, right?
    ----
    Murray?
    Options
  • lightningjacb14_ESO
    lightningjacb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I play without addons.
    I just want gamepad and its UI for the PC version already damnit
    Options
  • Gix
    Gix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    Cytoxx wrote: »
    Gamers who are playing without addons don't know what they're missing.

I've about 20+ of these helpful thingies installed - from a minimap to a better interface, crafting utils, info tools, and so on. Didn't want to play without them - I'm hooked B)
    Please don't make blanket statements, I know exactly what I'm opting out for.

Doesn't change the fact that ESO doesn't require addons to be a good MMO. This isn't an E-sport and even if it was, playing with addons would be questionable at best.
    Edited by Gix on March 16, 2015 6:22PM
    Options
  • karmamule
    karmamule
    ✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    Yes of course, I entirely agree. There are those for whom add-ons are a necessity and those for whom they are completely unnecessary. My objection is purely to those who argue that add-ons are essential for everyone and that those who don't use them are limiting themselves in every possible way, or failing to play effectively, etc. They're assuming we all play the same way and with the same motivation, which simply isn't true.

That's exactly it. The sort of metric I'm most interested in measuring is "how much fun per gaming session" I'm having. With a technical job the last thing I feel like doing is centering my fun around numbers and analytics. In my case leisurely and immersive gaming leads to the most fun and I'm not missing out on anything by omitting add-ons. And, yes, I've tried some. I can see the convenience factor, but that's not compelling for me.

I did use Wykkyd's immersion add-on for a while to suppress some UI elements, but having to worry what broke with every update led me back to vanilla. (Nice add-on overall, tho)
    Options
  • Mr.Hmm
    Mr.Hmm
    ✭✭✭✭
    Until they fix PC UI some addons are in a way a must, now for the console.... they just gonna get the UI we wanted but never will have after all you cant put addons in console :).
    If I die tomorrow I do not want to think of the game I could of played today, therefor I will play whatever I want today while securing a future to play in as well.

A true gamer will think of all the possible outcomes and execute the one that is the hardest to accomplish.
    Options
  • psufan5
    psufan5
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to play with the addons for things like DPS/health, research (marks things you need to research in your bag), current buffs, etc.

I think they need to take the top addons and put them into the game. Have them OFF by default, but allow them to be turned on.

Surgical Incision
    Former Emperor
    USPS4
    Options