The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is ESO console ready without Addons?

spoqster
spoqster
✭✭✭✭✭
I am looking forward to the console launch. I am likely going to buy it for consoles as well - if they include some of the functionality of the more important addons into the game. I haven't seen the new UI yet, but if it is missing as many features as the current UI, I will not buy it.

I just wanted to get a quick overview how many people feel the same way as me.
Edited by spoqster on March 15, 2015 9:40AM

Is ESO console ready without Addons? 313 votes

I play without addons.
19%
driosketchkevlarto_ESOSweetroll-Banditnerevarine1138NewBlacksmurfCjfowler66b14_ESOZhoyzukarmamulehueyb14_ESOMercyKillinglightningjacb14_ESOStaticWaxOsteostraigusb14_ESO2PraseodymeZigoSidHWHorathlab16_ESOShadowHvoMidnight_RoseR1ckyDaMan 62 votes
I play with addons, but could imagine playing without addons.
28%
cozmon3c_ESOKalfisNerioHexosmanyrabidratsVeeroaisriyth_ESOSolarikenThymosryanmjmcevoy_ESOJahosefatlordspyderLtCrunchboilers61b14_ESOcrossingxchrisb14_ESOsean.plackerb14_ESOShadesofkinDreamo84zdkazzmaneatingmonkey 90 votes
There are some addons I cannot do without. I wouldn't play if these addons didn't exist.
51%
CardekewlAttorneyatlawlGlorytallennGidorickc.p.garrett1993_ESOObscureSeñorCincowhiteboxxRook_Masterskeletorz_ESOWolfaentrimsic_ESOTeargrantseventide03b14a_ESOWraithAzraielLawfulEvilArmitasPKMN12 161 votes
  • kewl
    kewl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some addons I cannot do without. I wouldn't play if these addons didn't exist.
    ESO PC isn't ready, with or without addons, ROLF.
    Edited by kewl on March 26, 2015 12:22AM
  • Nova Sky
    Nova Sky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I'm interested in the console launch, too, primarily because some of my console-based clan mates plan on picking up ESO on the PS4.

That said, it's my understanding that, if you purchased the PC/Mac version of ESO prior to June 2014, you will be allowed to copy your characters over to the console version if you buy it. That's the biggest draw for me, more than even my console clan mates wanting the game.

Oh, and no add-ons for me. I just Google if questions come up that no one in the PC/Mac version can answer.
    "Wheresoever you go, go with all of your heart."
  • Govalon
    Govalon
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do console users manage their inventory? How do they know which items they wan't to keep for research and not deconstruct or sell? There are just some addons you have to use to play this game or you would be spending HALF of all your gaming time figuring out which items to keep and sorting inventory. There is no way I could play this game without addons.
    Edited by Govalon on March 15, 2015 10:17AM
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Govalon wrote: »
    How do console users manage their inventory? How do they know which items they wan't to keep for research and not deconstruct or sell? There are just some addons you have to use to play this game or you would be spending HALF of all your gaming time figuring out which items to keep and sorting inventory. There is no way I could play this game without addons.

Without Research Assistant this game would feel like shooting yourself in the foot before running a marathon.
  • Haqikah
    Haqikah
    ✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    Since early release I have been playing merrily without any addons, neither do I feel the urge to install any. So I expect no issues for the console.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    spoqster wrote: »
    Govalon wrote: »

Without Research Assistant this game would feel like shooting yourself in the foot before running a marathon.
    This.

None of us saw the console version, so it's impossible to say how convenient or inconvenient it is - ZOS saod they implemented some addon functionality, so hopefully at least inventory filters and guild store are better. The Q wheel isn't a problem, as it was designed for consoles from the get-go. That leaves combat and crafting. Vanilla combat is passable, crafting is the only real issue IMO. Research especially. I really hope ZOS took a look at things like Research Assistant and AI Research Grid. Multicraft should also be a feature, but the game is perfectly playable without it.
  • Cytoxx
    Cytoxx
    Soul Shriven
    Gamers who are playing without addons don't know what they're missing.

I've about 20+ of these helpful thingies installed - from a minimap to a better interface, crafting utils, info tools, and so on. Didn't want to play without them - I'm hooked B)

• trimsic_ESO
    trimsic_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When an addon or a UI feature exists, you can play without it.
    When such an addon or UI feature does not exist, you can cry.
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I have played ESO with out add-on's from day one, tried a few, to me they never added anything I could live with out plus the hassle of keeping them updated and the problems they cause not worth the effort. That is just my personal taste, and I have done everything in the game. I view them more as a crutch, and I have not limited myself in any way, I am always high on the pvp leaders boards, without the use of them.
    I feel for every helpful one there is most likely one that lets you do something not intended. I wish ZOS would have never allowed add-ons in ESO.
    Edited by kevlarto_ESO on May 14, 2015 12:15PM
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO can be played without addons, but you limit yourself in every possible way. At least combat numbers and a buff / debuff overview is a MUST to play in a competitive way. Yes, there may be some people saying it's fine as it is, but it isn't.

I can tell you that console players won't last when there are not at least those two options made available for them.

ESO UI is lacking crucial elements and Zenimax knows it. On PC you can fix that with addons but this so called solution is half-hearted.

We already discussed it elsewhere, without at least a combat log and combat numbers, console players are dependent on PC players who test builds and do the theorycrafting behind all of those things.
    Edited by Seraphyel on March 15, 2015 12:33PM
  • Dreamo84
    Dreamo84
    ✭✭✭
    I played for a long time addon free. I do enjoy a lot of AddOns now but it wasn't so bad.
    Dream it, wish it, do it... or something...
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played without for a while, then too many addons, now I play with like 4 addons. There are some that change the game in such a positively significant way the game just seems lacking without them.

Advanced Filters... I'm looking at you, kid.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Jaxsun
    Jaxsun
    ✭✭✭✭
    The PC version isn't ready without add-ons....
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Something to think about. Imagine if the authors of all our favorite addons decided to stop updating right before a major update. Or worse decided they wouldn't update unless they were paid for making this game on par with current MMOs.

For every yellow vote you a have third party who holds the potential of a sub in their hands. In my opinion this is really dangerous and reckless of zos especially when you consider the fact that some of these addons got infiltrated with hacks to steal your stuff.
    Edited by Armitas on March 15, 2015 2:04PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played ESO with out add-on's from day one, tried a few, to me they never added anything I could live with out plus the hassle of keeping them updated and the problems the cause not worth the effort. That is just my personal taste, and I have done everything in the game.

Elaborate "everything".

Also, Minion is an addon manager that solves your problem.

You are welcome.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use some addons but they're fairly minimal and I could play without them. I'd struggle without a minimap because I have a horrible sense of direction, but I'd manage.

I think the person who said if you've never played with addons you'll never know what you're missing is right. Especially when you consider that a lot of people who will get this game on consoles probably play exclusively or primarily on consoles, where no games allow 3rd party addons. So they'll be used to not having that option.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    The game is easily playable without addons. Those that claim it isn't are merely spoiled by them.
    Nighren - The Shadow Striker
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

Want to roleplay in elder scrolls online? Check out eso-rp.com
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have played ESO with out add-on's from day one, tried a few, to me they never added anything I could live with out plus the hassle of keeping them updated and the problems the cause not worth the effort. That is just my personal taste, and I have done everything in the game.

I don't understand this mentality. Does it carry over into other aspects of your life?

Is a cell-phone too much of hassle maintaining, etc? Is it too much effort to wire your house for electricity? Are those new-fangled internal combustion engines just not worth all the time you would waste?

I feel the Luddite metaphor is appropriate for people that refuse to adopt new technology a la addons, especially the ones that are simple to use and maintain.
    Edited by Rook_Master on March 15, 2015 2:15PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think anyone who has actually tried Research Assistant or Advance Filters and decided to do without them must be at least mildly masochistic.
    ShadowHvo wrote: »
    The game is easily playable without addons. Those that claim it isn't are merely spoiled by them.

It is playable, but "easily" playable? If you enjoy tracking your 300 different research options by pen and paper chart every time you go to sell some junk then sure.

But I would say the game is "easily" playable with addons and more difficult without.
    Edited by danno8 on March 15, 2015 2:44PM
  • jpatek0501ub17_ESO
    jpatek0501ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭

1 click auto update is soo hard! Add-ons ADD features the normal UI dosent provide.

• ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I think anyone who has actually tried Research Assistant or Advance Filters and decided to do without them must be at least mildly masochistic.

It is playable, but "easily" playable? If you enjoy tracking your 300 different research options by pen and paper chart every time you go to sell some junk then sure.

But I would say the game is "easily" playable with addons and more difficult without.

Oh I'm sorry if you can't manage your own inventory? I've played since the early launch of the game and -never- had a problem playing the game without addons. Sure, some addons help, but they are nowhere near NEEDED to play the game, as so many addon obsessed people makes it out to be. You can easily play the game effectively without any of the many addons out there, and that's coming from a dude who has maxed all professions, have all traits except a few nirnhoned, have completed all PvE content except CoA and regulary enjoyes wandering around in Cyrodiil and ambushing random enemies.

Those guys who claim that they can't play the game without addons? Thats their problem that they can't play an MMO without the generalized standard WoW UI with minimaps, faceportraits, actionbottoms and the like. Zenimax's UI caters to an elder scrolls MMO game, and it fits very well in as such. It's not their fault that other players are obsessed with specific addons. But claiming you can't play the game effectively without addons? Thats a plain lie and outright wrong, because quite a few are just fine and capable of doing so.

Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

• Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can easily play the game effectively without any of the many addons...

No, you can't.

You can play the game casually without addons, but you are neither effective nor efficient.
    Edited by Seraphyel on March 15, 2015 3:44PM
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Zenimax's UI caters to an elder scrolls MMO game, and it fits very well in as such.
    I've been a fan of Elder Scrolls games for a decade. I played Skyrim with nearly every HUD element turned off. I love minimalism. I can't stand ESO's frustratingly inconvenient UI design. This game doesn't cater to me, it caters to people with low UI expectations and infinite patience.
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    Seraphyel wrote: »
    You can easily play the game effectively without any of the many addons...

No, you can't.

You can play the game casually without addons, but you are neither effective nor efficient.

Prove it? You keep wanting Zenimax to implement your training wheels into the game, yet you still cannot fattern that many does NOT need those training wheels which you -require- to play the game.

Claiming you can't play the game effectively without addons is just sheer ignorance. You can easily and fine do so, don't blame your own need for addons on everyone else. Because -we- do not need them.

As said earlier to you in the former thread, if you want your training wheels then buy them on the side, you ain't getting them with the bike. Luckily for you, they are free in form of addons so you don't have to spend a dim. But don't claim that everyone needs training wheels because you do, many of us can ride our bike just fine.
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

• Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    There seems to be a belief by some that you cannot play to maximum efficiency and competitiveness without add-ons.

Guess what? We don't all seek to achieve maximum efficiency and competitiveness in our computer games - some of us just play for them fun.
  • Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prove it? You keep wanting Zenimax to implement your training wheels into the game, yet you still cannot fattern that many does NOT need those training wheels which you -require- to play the game.

Claiming you can't play the game effectively without addons is just sheer ignorance. You can easily and fine do so, don't blame your own need for addons on everyone else. Because -we- do not need them.

As said earlier to you in the former thread, if you want your training wheels then buy them on the side, you ain't getting them with the bike. Luckily for you, they are free in form of addons so you don't have to spend a dim. But don't claim that everyone needs training wheels because you do, many of us can ride our bike just fine.

It's not ignorance, it's the truth.

If you don't have combat numbers, you know nothing. Everything else might work but without numbers you just take away the most essential part of the "thing" behind the combat, the mathematics.

People like you don't get the bottom line of this whole discussion. As long as nobody is using numbers, everbody could be fine. But as soon as some people use numbers and others don't, those people with numbers always have an advantage.

To know what happens is crucial for successful gameplay and without numbers (and maybe buff / debuff overview) you just neglect a core part behind the combat system and limit yourself (and others in your group).

It's like you're riding your bike while you keep hitting the brakes.
    Edited by Seraphyel on March 15, 2015 4:15PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    I don't understand this mentality. Does it carry over into other aspects of your life?

Is a cell-phone too much of hassle maintaining, etc? Is it too much effort to wire your house for electricity? Are those new-fangled internal combustion engines just not worth all the time you would waste?

No, but you know what? I can find my way to the end of the street without a sat nav, which is more than some of the dependent and entitled crowd can do.
  • ShadowHvo
    ShadowHvo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play without addons.
    Seraphyel wrote: »
    It's not ignorance, it's the truth.

If you don't have combat numbers, you know nothing. Everything else might work but without numbers you just take away the most essential part of the "thing" behind the combat, the mathematics.

People like you don't get the bottom line of this whole discussion. As long as nobody is using numbers, everbody could be fine. But as soon as some people use numbers and others don't, those people with numbers always have an advantage.

To know what happens is crucial for successful gameplay and without numbers (and maybe buff / debuff overview) you just neglect a core part behind the combat system and limit yourself (and others in your group).

It's like you're riding your bike while you keep hitting the brakes.

Thats not even remotely close to the truth? Yes, in essence the game is all a bunch of numbers, but you can effectively play without knowing those numbers as long as you practice and hone your own abilities. I don't use addons, yet I've slaughtered a lifetime worth of FTC users in Cyrodiil and done the same DPS as FTC users in PvE content. You don't need to see those numbers, as long as you still can see that healthbar dropping.

It makes it -easier- but it's nowhere near required to play the game. Just because you're at a handycap without them doesn't mean the rest of us are. If you want to play a traditional MMO where you stand and spam buttons then go back to WoW or SW:TOR or what other game you find to have the "Perfect UI" to your taste. ESO does not have it implemented, but you can get it with addons. Then take it or leave it as you yourself so desire. But yet again, it is outright false and wrong to claim that you can't play effectively without, because you absolutely can.

Again, because you need training wheels doesn't mean that everyone does. Get them if you want to, but don't try to force us who can ride our bike just fine to get them too.
    Leader of Bloodlines
    -- EU --

• Seraphyel
    Seraphyel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to play a traditional MMO where you stand and spam buttons then go back to WoW or SW:TOR or what other game you find to have the "Perfect UI" to your taste. ESO does not have it implemented, but you can get it with addons. Then take it or leave it as you yourself so desire. But yet again, it is outright false and wrong to claim that you can't play effectively without, because you absolutely can.

Again, because you need training wheels doesn't mean that everyone does. Get them if you want to, but don't try to force us who can ride our bike just fine to get them too.

ESO is a dozen times more of a "spam buttons" game than WoW or SW:TOR are. Nowhere else I repeatedly use the same skill a million times (like Wrecking Blow spam or things like that).

The other part about the addons... there is absolutely no room for more discussion about it, I'm tired to explain it to guys like you again and again.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play without addons.
    The thing about add ons, once you start using, it's hard to play without.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●