Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

SWTOR all over again?

• Iago
    Iago
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With Tamriel Unlimited, we are not changing the current rate at which your characters progress. That includes experience and AP gain rate, gold gain speed, what your character can equip, etc. The overall experience will be no different than the game you're playing now.

I really want to believe that but ZOS's lack of honesty over the last year makes that very hard to do.
    That which we obtain to cheap we esteem to lightly, it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

-Thomas Pain

• Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tempest wrote: »
    With Tamriel Unlimited, we are not changing the current rate at which your characters progress. That includes experience and AP gain rate, gold gain speed, what your character can equip, etc. The overall experience will be no different than the game you're playing now.

Thank you! then b2p is going to be AWESOME! :D

I remember playing SWTOR F2P with half xp gain. It was basically paralysis and I found myself constantly asking for help with STORY quests because my XP lagged behind everyone that subed

What does SWTOR F2P have to do with ESO B2P? They arent dumbing down the gameplay for anyone not subbing.

So Im not sure how that has any relevance here.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR just got a huge update. They are doing fine over there. I'd still sub there if I could use a controller. I just can't take the mouse and keyboard controls of MMOs. They were killing my hands

Pretty sure you are not using the term "huge" correctly.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR just got a huge update. They are doing fine over there. I'd still sub there if I could use a controller. I just can't take the mouse and keyboard controls of MMOs. They were killing my hands

Did it not just get two entirely new planets?
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭

I remember playing SWTOR F2P with half xp gain. It was basically paralysis and I found myself constantly asking for help with STORY quests because my XP lagged behind everyone that subed

What does SWTOR F2P have to do with ESO B2P? They arent dumbing down the gameplay for anyone not subbing.

Because as someone who played SWTOR, I see a striking similarity to the cartel market with the crown shop. The only major difference is you have to pay 60 bucks to get in, then it's basically F2P. What they are doing right that swtor did wrong however, is not locking convenience behind a paywall.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As "new" as the other "new" maps the past year.
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭

As "new" as the other "new" maps the past year.

They got Rishii and Yavin didn't they? Were they not entirely new, like Makeb and the lava planet whose name escapes me?
    Edited by born2beagator on January 21, 2015 10:10PM
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Because as someone who played SWTOR, I see a striking similarity to the cartel market with the crown shop. The only major difference is you have to pay 60 bucks to get in, then it's basically F2P. What they are doing right that swtor did wrong however, is not locking convenience behind a paywall.

Now youre talking about the Cash Shops.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once people recognise the distinction between B2P and F2P, things may actually calm down around these here' ways.

Funny how quickly tunes change. Yesterday it was "This game will never drop the sub, stop beating the dead horse !!11". Today b2p isn't all that bad...

Those goal posts shifted very rapidly.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the Cartel Market was for cosmetic *** and after that the access to stuff was....pretty ***, but far from imperfect and not fully pay to win, since it didn't affect PvP (as far as I remember at least) and lasted for some time and could be bought from other players via in game currency.

Access to PvP is restricted for non-subscribers in SWToR. If you don't buy a pass, you can play only 5 (?) war zones a week.

I'd call that the shop affecting PvP in a very serious way, but that's just me.
  • Harleyquincey
    Harleyquincey
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind the change at all, actually. Since the shop seems to go the SW:TOR direction, I'm very willing to keep up my subscription throughout. Why?

a) I support the games I love
    b) I am too stingy to spend real money on vanity items per se, but having an allowance while supporting the game I love is splendid, I have no patience issues and will simply save up for whatever I love to get
    c) Getting all future content 100% free when being subbed will be absolutely crucial to me and since it seems to be this way, I am a happy camper
    d) More players = more fun (more income sources, more pugs, more hilarious and thrilling people to meet, more enemies, more friends)

So - go for it. Just really remain inspired by SW:TOR, that model was really the bomb as a subscriber and I know it led many, many people who just "took a peek" at things to subscribe and enjoy the game.

EU Server
    Clavius Lydoris Probus - Imperial Dragonknight Tank
    Co-Founder of [Black Manticore Brigade]
    Proud member of [Sigma Draconis] and [House Zar]
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Skill trees were changed, new abilities, new planets, a LOT was changed, so yes, you used it correctly.

• zen22937b16_ESO
    Yes its P2W.

I was part of the beta, I have subscribed from last March. I live through this fiasco once with SWTOR, I'm not doing it again. My account has been cancelled and when my remaining days are gone, I'm out of here.

and you can shove your lame 'crowns' where the sun doesn't shine.
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »

Skill trees were changed, new abilities, new planets, a LOT was changed, so yes, you used it correctly.

That's what I thought. I miss that game. I'd still play it if a controller was viable
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the change at all, actually. Since the shop seems to go the SW:TOR direction, I'm very willing to keep up my subscription throughout. Why?

a) I support the games I love
    b) I am too stingy to spend real money on vanity items per se, but having an allowance while supporting the game I love is splendid, I have no patience issues and will simply save up for whatever I love to get
    c) Getting all future content 100% free when being subbed will be absolutely crucial to me and since it seems to be this way, I am a happy camper
    d) More players = more fun (more income sources, more pugs, more hilarious and thrilling people to meet, more enemies, more friends)

So - go for it. Just really remain inspired by SW:TOR, that model was really the bomb as a subscriber and I know it led many, many people who just "took a peek" at things to subscribe and enjoy the game.

*Raises hand* I started as F2P on that game and loved it. But the restrictions on F2P were way to severe, so I subbed
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That paying $60 to get in will drop to $10 pretty fast. Probably as soon as the first DLC hits.
  • RianaTheBosmer
    RianaTheBosmer
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing wrong with SWTOR's cash shop. No one says you have to use it and how do you know it won't be like GW2, WOW and The Secret World where all the cash shop stuff is purely cosmetic. Again, you won't have to buy it. No one's holding a gun to your head telling you to click the buy button. This is the best thing for this game and I know many who will come back and play it now, my entire guild would come back.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR is a bad example to compare to since it actually hasn't been out that long or went F2P all that long ago.

LoTRO is a better example of what F2P/Sub hybrid does to a game long term.

After a few month cash shop purchases will be required to keep up with gear and stats. The next step is pay-2-win.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hope the content doesn't suffer. Sure add all the fluff items you want but keep your promises as far as spellcrafting, new zones, Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood and stuff like that.

I love the game, don't make us wait too long for the aforementioned list.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just hope the content doesn't suffer. Sure add all the fluff items you want but keep your promises as far as spellcrafting, new zones, Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood and stuff like that.

I love the game, don't make us wait too long for the aforementioned list.

Content in SWTOR didn't suffer.
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭
    SWTOR is the worst F2P, followed by LOTRO, maybe you should take a look at The Secret World, B2P, and hope we get something like that.
    There's precious little difference between B2P and F2P, B2P isn't a sustainable business model, the revenue they get from the boxes alone will be entirely insufficient to cover more than power costs I expect.
    GW2 would be the model or TSW. cash shop items + box sales + DLC prices.

GW2 hasnt had any major updates, just seasonal events...
  • Mercurio
    Mercurio
    ✭✭✭
    I left SWTOR the day they announced F2P, and I unsubbed from ESO today. perfect parallels.
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whatever floats your boat. Why are you still here then?
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭
    Mercurio wrote: »
    I left SWTOR the day they announced F2P, and I unsubbed from ESO today. perfect parallels.

Yup I left SWTOR soon after the announcement. I tried to get back into the game but all the P2W stuff put me off. Hopefully ZOS dont screw this up.
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raaecl wrote: »
    GW2 hasnt had any major updates, just seasonal events...

Actually the content updates were in about the same league as those in ESO so far ( including the lack thereof for RvR/GvG/AvA ). And completely free.

So are you trolling or trying to deceive people ?
    Edited by cazlonb16_ESO on January 21, 2015 11:07PM
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭

People are here because they like this game. ZOS just decided to ruin it just to get more money.
    Edited by Raaecl on January 21, 2015 11:07PM
  • Athas24
    Athas24
    ✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR was a great game when it had subscriptions, then they went F2P and all the in game purchases were frustrating. It just puts people off playing the game. Make the game buy to play but with expansion packs, so all players get an equal (and also the best) experience. Im sure most of us wont mind paying for the major updates and zones. There is no need for other in game purchases. The 10% buffs are just P2W.

^ The reason I Left SWTOR was because of all the stupid micro transactions for looks and bs. The devs focused more on the optional pay extra for xyz garbage and less on the regular game I paid my sub for. Also I got a lousy few hundred tokens per month and everything that was a micro transaction cost in the thousands... This is Extremely upsetting to hear.
    ...OverTwerked & Underpaid.
    Rajaat04 in game @Athas24 on forums
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭

People are here because they like this game. ZOS just decided to ruin it just to get more money.

If you say so. I'll keep my sub thank you very much. This makes no never mind to me.

Plus I think the knee jerk reactions will be proven wrong in the long haul. It is possible to do this model without ruining a game you know
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭

If you say so. I'll keep my sub thank you very much. This makes no never mind to me.

Plus I think the knee jerk reactions will be proven wrong in the long haul. It is possible to do this model without ruining a game you know

Maybe, but personally, I've never seen it happen.
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Athas24 wrote: »
    SWTOR was a great game when it had subscriptions, then they went F2P and all the in game purchases were frustrating. It just puts people off playing the game. Make the game buy to play but with expansion packs, so all players get an equal (and also the best) experience. Im sure most of us wont mind paying for the major updates and zones. There is no need for other in game purchases. The 10% buffs are just P2W.

^ The reason I Left SWTOR was because of all the stupid micro transactions for looks and bs. The devs focused more on the optional pay extra for xyz garbage and less on the regular game I paid my sub for. Also I got a lousy few hundred tokens per month and everything that was a micro transaction cost in the thousands... This is Extremely upsetting to hear.

Seems to me that SWTOR has gotten plenty of good content other than just cosmetics since going F2P. You guys can run off if you want, I'll be here when you get back :D