Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

SWTOR all over again?

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On March17th when we go to the new model if we do not cancel our ESO+ membership then we earn XP 10% faster, get 10% more gold each time we aquire (i.e instead of 68g from Rewards of Worthy we'll get around 75g but non ESO+ members still get 68g)

Just a minor nitpick... that's actually been applied in game since at least December. So we're already getting the +10% boosts to XP, Gold, Inspiration, and Research.
  • thawt29b14_ESO
    Kraven wrote: »
    With Tamriel Unlimited, we are not changing the current rate at which your characters progress. That includes experience and AP gain rate, gold gain speed, what your character can equip, etc. The overall experience will be no different than the game you're playing now.

So which is it? You guys should probably get together, you're contradicting yourselves.
    We want it to be in good shape before we hand it over to all of you on the PTS. We'll let you know when we have a better idea of when that will be, but in the name of being as transparent as we can, there is a possibility it will not be next week.

Wait...nevermind. Who am I asking to be open and transparent.

So when you made the above comment in the name of being as transparent as you can, how much of a delay were you already aware of the cash shop design was causing?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, why wait so long to make this announcement?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, was it specifically to gain another month of subs from existing customers knowing many would cancel when the announcement was made?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, exactly how full of *** are ZOS employees?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, are you really so naive as to believe that a cash shop won't have any effect on game play at all?

In the name of being as transparent as you can, exactly how little do you think of your customers? How many lies do you really think you can feed them before enough is enough? How long do you expect to keep any respect of players when you show a blatant disregard for them on a weekly basis?
    Matt Firor, "Charging a flat monthly (or subscription) fee means that we will offer players the game we set out to make, and the one that fans want to play. Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren’t willing to make.”

"The Elder Scrolls Online was designed and developed to be a premium experience: hundreds of hours of gameplay, tons of depth and features, professional customer support – and a commitment to have ongoing content at regular intervals after launch. This type of experience is best paired with a one-time fee per month, as opposed to many smaller payments that would probably add up to more than $14.99/month any way."

Paul D. Sage: "No, we don’t have any plans that I am aware of to change it in the future. You know the business model is what the business model is and it allows us to deliver high level content on regular basis right now. So there are no plans that I am aware of."

I agree with this post wholeheartedly!

There are some questions in this post that I for one would like to see answered.

• Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played SWTOR after it went F2P. I kept paying the monthly subscription just like I did before it went F2P. The maturity of the community was no different before or after the F2P conversion. Since I was still paying a monthly sub, I was never affected by the annoyances of F2P. Based on my experiences in SWTOR after it went F2P, it's really hard for me to take the TESO doom and gloomers seriously. I will continue to pay a sub for TESO and I am predicting my gameplay won't be affected at all by anyone taking advantage of the F2P model.

This is what I've been saying all over the place, and if anything that community grew and actually got a little better for some people, but the game certainly never got worse.

My thing is though the Soul Gems and Pots sold through the shop shouldn't be top notch super pots, or else that breeds Pay To Win mentalities and scenarios. What I would rather see is the same item we can buy with gold already but in massive bulks, like 1000 per stack for what crowns we paid or whatever, that way people can use crowns to supply their guilds with supplies for trials and AvAvA.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    There are only two mmo's that I have ever paid for that didn't go FTP/BTP, World of Warcraft (which in my opinion got kidified in order to pull in new subscribers and pretty much is now a Pay extra to not loose, subscription mmo now) and Eve online (which I still subscribe to off and on and has a somewhat unique subscription model).

These have all gone FTP/BTP within a year of release
    Star Wars the Old Republic (Pay to win)
    DC Universe Online (Pay for updates and faster leveling and cosmetic item store)
    The Secret World (Pay for updates and faster leveling and cosmetic item store)

Fallen Earth was a subscription for a couple of years before it went FTP (Pay to win)

And Guild Wars 2 doesn't really count since it was designed to be a BTP game. I tried but got bored with it by the time I got a char to lv 20 but I don't think this is a Pay to win game

And now this game is going BTP..... I just hope they don't end up turning it into Pay to win. As it is from what I am understanding, this game is going to have you eventually Pay for Updates and faster leveling. I was planning on paying for an Xbox one version but now that it's leaving sub model I probably won't bother. And I hope they add in controller support on the Mac/PC version, would love to be able to play this game on my laptop while I do treadmill. Ive tried controller mate but there is a bug that keeps causing the sticks to stop working.

Explanation of my terms in the way I use them so people understand better what I am trying to say because I have have seen them all defined in several different ways.
    Pay to Win = You pay money and you get an unfair advantage over those who don't pay. This means in my opinion that the game is unbalanced and ultimately not worth playing unless you pay more per month than a subscription mmo would normally cost you.
    Pay for Updates = Paying for the Updates and additional content to the game which is usually separate from patches. Doesn't give you unfair advantage over nonpaying players.
    Faster Leveling = Able to purchase items or a subscription which increases the speed at which you level. Personally I don't feel this gives an unfair advantage as a nonpaying player will still be able to get to the same level, they will just get there slower.
    Cosmetic Item Store = An item store with items that have no real effect on your character other than looks or spell effect. In my opinion all MMO's should have something like this in order to prevent going BTP or FTP as that would be additional profit

As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »
    Raaecl wrote: »
    SWTOR was a great game when it had subscriptions, then they went F2P and all the in game purchases were frustrating. It just puts people off playing the game. Make the game buy to play but with expansion packs, so all players get an equal (and also the best) experience. Im sure most of us wont mind paying for the major updates and zones. There is no need for other in game purchases. The 10% buffs are just P2W.
    What do I win with an extra 10% XP buff while leveling? I love this ridiculous mantra the haters are spouting, you WIN NOTHING in the PVE side of the game and I have no time for PVP so ignore it.

Your OP though does have some sense .. both SW:TOR and ESO failed to even last 12 months on paid subs, that says something pretty bad about the games' appeal.

both games were released at least a year before they should.

its like selling a car before every part has been assambled. it doesent work in the long run but software publisher don´t get that, and do not realise that they burn their reputation by doing so...

Also this. Game was released early, yes, but let's not forget that we're not getting a full game experience that doesn't suck, is pretty entertaining in even long bursts, and is now mostly free. WoW and FF14 still has a sub fee but the games are virtually the same-***-different-day that every game is these days, especially in WoW's case and FF14's Asian MMO archetype.

Guys should really calm the hell down and realize this isn't a bad thing, and it's pretty damn near the way of the future XD
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Vyndeleron
    Vyndeleron
    ✭✭✭
    Guys should really calm the hell down and realize this isn't a bad thing, and it's pretty damn near the way of the future XD

Excluding MMOs since they're always a work-in-progress... you saying games that aren't polished/finished is considered the future of gaming... while I be damned
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deheart wrote: »
    There are only two mmo's that I have ever paid for that didn't go FTP/BTP, World of Warcraft (which in my opinion got kidified in order to pull in new subscribers and pretty much is now a Pay extra to not loose, subscription mmo now) and Eve online (which I still subscribe to off and on and has a somewhat unique subscription model).

These have all gone FTP/BTP within a year of release
    Star Wars the Old Republic (Pay to win)
    DC Universe Online (Pay for updates and faster leveling and cosmetic item store)
    The Secret World (Pay for updates and faster leveling and cosmetic item store)

Fallen Earth was a subscription for a couple of years before it went FTP (Pay to win)

And Guild Wars 2 doesn't really count since it was designed to be a BTP game. I tried but got bored with it by the time I got a char to lv 20 but I don't think this is a Pay to win game

And now this game is going BTP..... I just hope they don't end up turning it into Pay to win. As it is from what I am understanding, this game is going to have you eventually Pay for Updates and faster leveling. I was planning on paying for an Xbox one version but now that it's leaving sub model I probably won't bother. And I hope they add in controller support on the Mac/PC version, would love to be able to play this game on my laptop while I do treadmill. Ive tried controller mate but there is a bug that keeps causing the sticks to stop working.

Explanation of my terms in the way I use them so people understand better what I am trying to say because I have have seen them all defined in several different ways.
    Pay to Win = You pay money and you get an unfair advantage over those who don't pay. This means in my opinion that the game is unbalanced and ultimately not worth playing unless you pay more per month than a subscription mmo would normally cost you.
    Pay for Updates = Paying for the Updates and additional content to the game which is usually separate from patches. Doesn't give you unfair advantage over nonpaying players.
    Faster Leveling = Able to purchase items or a subscription which increases the speed at which you level. Personally I don't feel this gives an unfair advantage as a nonpaying player will still be able to get to the same level, they will just get there slower.
    Cosmetic Item Store = An item store with items that have no real effect on your character other than looks or spell effect. In my opinion all MMO's should have something like this in order to prevent going BTP or FTP as that would be additional profit

Possible double post here, but SWTOR isn't exactly pay to win. You can still raid and get *** done the same as anyone else, you just have limited access to certain content, which is, as I will admit, a little ***, but that's not pay to win exactly.

I view pay to win as you pay the fee, you get better items and *** right off the bat. That said, I agree with everything else you said, and Tamriel Unlimited does not worry me that much, if at all. If anything, I'm happy that my wallet will be happy XD
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vyndeleron wrote: »

Excluding MMOs since they're always a work-in-progress... you saying games that aren't polished/finished is considered the future of gaming... while I be damned

No you fool, I meant the B2P Model. Jesus dude >_>
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Torquebow wrote: »
    With Tamriel Unlimited, we are not changing the current rate at which your characters progress. That includes experience and AP gain rate, gold gain speed, what your character can equip, etc. The overall experience will be no different than the game you're playing now.

But you are giving people the option to buy a xp potion from the cash shop correct? How does this not change character progression? I'm sorry I don't buy these statements from your company anymore.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me is the old saying.

Crown Point Potions are not as good as Crafted Potions. These are simply a means for players who play less to gain access to some much needed items for leveling. They pay real money for them but they dont get the quality you would see in the items a player can make.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you are giving people the option to buy a xp potion from the cash shop correct? How does this not change character progression? I'm sorry I don't buy these statements from your company anymore.

Crown Point Potions are not as good as Crafted Potions. These are simply a means for players who play less to gain access to some much needed items for leveling. They pay real money for them but they dont get the quality you would see in the items a player can make.

If this is true then that's even better.
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahh, but here's the kicker......you'll have to buy the special mats from the cash shop to make the 'player crafted' pots ;)
    It's pure SWtoR........Milk that cash cow MMMmmmooooOoOoooo$$$$
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
  • Nikolas
    Nikolas
    ✭✭✭

I like the fact that we still have posts from ZOS like there is a chance to believe anything they say from now on. Thnx for killing the game I loved.... Take care
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sindala wrote: »

Ahh, but here's the kicker......you'll have to buy the special mats from the cash shop to make the 'player crafted' pots ;)

Where did you hear this?

They didnt say any of this in the Podcast and they didnt say any of this in any of their news releases.

Its one thing to speculate but dont go making things up and trying to sell it as fact.
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you hear this?

They didnt say any of this in the Podcast and they didnt say any of this in any of their news releases.

Its one thing to speculate but dont go making things up and trying to sell it as fact.

Lol, well my 'speculation' has been spot on so far.
    It's just the next logical step. If your going to have player crafted items still be the BIS then you gotta get people to the cash shop for something. Every P2W game has it's own version and i'll say i'm not far from the mark on this one also ;)

Some of us are either psychic, lived thru it so many times before, or just have inside knowledge. ;)
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny =P All seriousness SWTOR never made you buy special materials. Most of the Cartel Market was for cosmetic *** and after that the access to stuff was....pretty ***, but far from imperfect and not fully pay to win, since it didn't affect PvP (as far as I remember at least) and lasted for some time and could be bought from other players via in game currency.
    Nikolas wrote: »

I like the fact that we still have posts from ZOS like there is a chance to believe anything they say from now on. Thnx for killing the game I loved.... Take care

Actually, that post of theirs is true. What they refer to by changing nothing is that as things are now is what they will be for a non-plus member, but a plus member will gain extra stuff to help them earn more gold, xp, and basic items.

Not a massive lead, and tbh it may or may not prove to be worth the 15 bucks a month.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Funny =P All seriousness SWTOR never made you buy special materials. Most of the Cartel Market was for cosmetic *** and after that the access to stuff was....pretty ***, but far from imperfect and not fully pay to win, since it didn't affect PvP (as far as I remember at least) and lasted for some time and could be bought from other players via in game currency.
    Nikolas wrote: »

Actually, that post of theirs is true. What they refer to by changing nothing is that as things are now is what they will be for a non-plus member, but a plus member will gain extra stuff to help them earn more gold, xp, and basic items.

Not a massive lead, and tbh it may or may not prove to be worth the 15 bucks a month.

My opinion is it wont be worth the 15 bucks a month. Im skeptical that the 1500 Crown Points will equate to 15 bucks. Its more likely itll be something closer to 5 bucks. So youll be paying 10 bucks more for four almost insubstantial boosts.

If Im wrong. The boosts will be on top of the 15 bucks worth of Crown Points. But my experience with F2P/B2P Games has me thinking 1500 Crown Points is akin to 1/3rd the Sub.
  • TheLaw
    TheLaw
    ✭✭✭✭

Overall experience won't differ? Well I hope that's not true....I don't want to see FTP as an excuse to stop developing the game and fixing the countless issues.

-= Shahrzad the Great |Sorc| =-
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheLaw wrote: »

Overall experience won't differ? Well I hope that's not true....I don't want to see FTP as an excuse to stop developing the game and fixing the countless issues.

Don't be so literal lol
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played SWTOR after it went F2P. I kept paying the monthly subscription just like I did before it went F2P. The maturity of the community was no different before or after the F2P conversion. Since I was still paying a monthly sub, I was never affected by the annoyances of F2P. Based on my experiences in SWTOR after it went F2P, it's really hard for me to take the TESO doom and gloomers seriously. I will continue to pay a sub for TESO and I am predicting my gameplay won't be affected at all by anyone taking advantage of the F2P model.

This is what I've been saying all over the place, and if anything that community grew and actually got a little better for some people, but the game certainly never got worse.

My thing is though the Soul Gems and Pots sold through the shop shouldn't be top notch super pots, or else that breeds Pay To Win mentalities and scenarios. What I would rather see is the same item we can buy with gold already but in massive bulks, like 1000 per stack for what crowns we paid or whatever, that way people can use crowns to supply their guilds with supplies for trials and AvAvA.

I also played SWTOR. But I came in after it had gone F2P. I ended up subbing because the F2P shtick was a lie. You are almost paralyzed behind paywalls. However, I loved the game, and I'd still be playing it if there was a way to use a controller. The mouse and keyboard setup was starting to give me RSI.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom so the cash shop will NOT offer anything that buffs your XP/AP gain, or equipment that is as powerful or more powerful than what you can find in game?

Also, the cash shop will NOT offer items that you can find in game, that have an extremely rare drop rate (Nirncrux)?

Because the second you add "Convenience Items" like XP boosters in the cash shop, or more powerful gear/enhancements that you can find in game, it DOES change game play.

That's because the guy who can drop $150 a month on the cash shop gets an immediate advantage over other players.
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bouvin wrote: »

@‌ZOS_JessicaFolsom s o the cash shop will NOT offer anything that buffs your XP/AP gain, or equipment that is as powerful or more powerful than what you can find in game?

Also, the cash shop will NOT offer items that you can find in game, that have an extremely rare drop rate (Nirncrux)?

Because the second you add "Convenience Items" like XP boosters in the cash shop, or more powerful gear/enhancements that you can find in game, it DOES change game play.

That's because the guy who can drop $150 a month on the cash shop gets an immediate advantage over other players

This is what SWTOR is. Without a subscription your XP gain is halved, you can't use rest spots, and there are a ton of other vital features locked behind a paywall
  • Nallenil
    Nallenil
    ✭✭✭
    I shall continue to pay my subscription, now called "ESO plus" but whatever, and shall farm all those level 10 twelve year olds who enter cyrodiil :) The AP concentrate is about to flow.
  • Zershar_Vemod
    Zershar_Vemod
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You got lucky then.

On Jedi Covenant there was an obvious decrease in maturity and quality within that server. The game went downhill after F2P and I saw decent guilds disappear and friends never returning.

And then there was the constant Cartel Market updates and nothing got fixed unless it was Cartel related...
    Edited by Zershar_Vemod on January 21, 2015 9:36PM
    House Nyssara (NA)
    Black Market Traders
    Order of the Lamp Post
    Thorn Brigade
    VR15 Nightblade Vampire
  • Morthur
    Morthur
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by Morthur on January 22, 2015 10:09AM
  • Wargaard
    Wargaard
    ✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »
    The SWTOR model penalizes you if you don't sub... pretty severely. This doesn't, it just gives subs a buff. If you think xp boosts and a bit more gold is P2W in this game, not sure what to tell you.

Not penalised? Seriously? They stated outright you wont get access to Expansion DLC unless either subscribed, or bought outright. This is pretty much what Age of Conan and SWTOR did and in blew.

So we bought the game and sub'd for months. Now we have to continue that sub (which i would of anyway, i admit) to get access to the future DLC.

That's pretty bs for people who went and bought normal box or even Imperial edition and suddenly find we're second rate customers.

All I'm hoping for is the cash shop doesn't sell anything like Resins/Tempers etc and doesn't add any Pay to win content (lol goodluck).

Also, don't let free players be Emperor.
  • Tempest
    Tempest
    ✭✭

Thank you! then b2p is going to be AWESOME! :D
  • born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tempest wrote: »

Thank you! then b2p is going to be AWESOME! :D

I remember playing SWTOR F2P with half xp gain. It was basically paralysis and I found myself constantly asking for help with STORY quests because my XP lagged behind everyone that subed
  • Humanistic
    Humanistic
    ✭✭✭✭

Nothing is changing, but if you shell out cash, you can get a boost:

Your Guide to ESO Plus

..."So, what do you get as an ESO Plus member? Let’s go over the benefits:
    • An allotment of crowns to spend in the new in-game Crown Store based on your membership period (more below)
    • Access to all of ESO’s downloadable content (or DLC) game packs for the duration of your membership
    • A 10% bonus to XP and gold gain, crafting research, and inspiration"
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This. Swtor had a paygate but that had no effect on subscribers at all.
    All the cash shop did was give the game new and good cash flow. It also offered some kind auf credits for realmoney (eso won´t do that as everything cash shop related will be account bound as said in the stream).
    I kind of liked how sw:tor did after f2p (was not bothered by it at all) and i don´t think it will be any different in eso. I´ll just continue to sub.
    Edited by Derra on January 21, 2015 9:52PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• born2beagator
    born2beagator
    ✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR just got a huge update. They are doing fine over there. I'd still sub there if I could use a controller. I just can't take the mouse and keyboard controls of MMOs. They were killing my hands