Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

SWTOR all over again?

Raaecl
Raaecl
✭✭
SWTOR was a great game when it had subscriptions, then they went F2P and all the in game purchases were frustrating. It just puts people off playing the game. Ditch the cash shop and make the game buy to play but with expansion packs, so all players get an equal (and also the best) experience. Im sure most of us wont mind paying for the major updates and zones. There is no need for other in game purchases. The 10% buffs are just P2W.
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The SWTOR model penalizes you if you don't sub... pretty severely. This doesn't, it just gives subs a buff. If you think xp boosts and a bit more gold is P2W in this game, not sure what to tell you.
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »
    The SWTOR model penalizes you if you don't sub... pretty severely. This doesn't, it just gives subs a buff. If you think xp boosts and a bit more gold is P2W in this game, not sure what to tell you.

Well its a beginning. From what ive read in the forums it seems that soul gems and potions will also be sold there.
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I agree that it wont be penalizing anyone for being Free. But the Cash Shop, based on the Crown Points per sub model, is looking more and more like a SWTOR Cash Shop.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raaecl wrote: »

Well its a beginning. From what ive read in the forums it seems that soul gems and potions will also be sold there.

LMAO nothing you can currently get in game will be paygated. Everything they place in the Store will more then likely be exclusive to the Store.

Anyone saying otherwise outside of a Dev. Are speculating and fearmongering. They have no evidence of this.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nowhere did ZOS mention health pots or soul gems. They are so freakin' easy to come by it's not even funny.
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭
    Kay then
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nowhere did ZOS mention health pots or soul gems. They are so freakin' easy to come by it's not even funny.

Yah they did. And yes they are.

• Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn't in the faq I read... I will defer if you provide me a link.
  • Durham
    Durham
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This company better do damage control on this ...and release how it will work but they will drag its feet and lose customers....
    PVP DEADWAIT
    PVP The Unguildables
  • Raaecl
    Raaecl
    ✭✭

Now who do I believe? ESOs devs should be more transparent with us.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's gonna be bad . I've seen this movie ! Every time it's bad !
  • onlinegamer1
    onlinegamer1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDO did this perfectly. Don't know why people harp on SWTOR only.
  • IvorySamoan
    IvorySamoan
    ✭✭✭
    Once people recognise the distinction between B2P and F2P, things may actually calm down around these here' ways.
    Just returning some video tapes.........
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR was a great game when it had subscriptions, then they went F2P and all the in game purchases were frustrating. It just puts people off playing the game. Make the game buy to play but with expansion packs, so all players get an equal (and also the best) experience. Im sure most of us wont mind paying for the major updates and zones. There is no need for other in game purchases. The 10% buffs are just P2W.

Lets be honest here...SWTOR is still a Subscription game..what they call f2p is kick in the nuts to play.

• Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once people recognise the distinction between B2P and F2P, things may actually calm down around these here' ways.

This is F2P because all the PC USERS have already bought the game... its JUST LIKE LoTRO... you get bonuses for buying the game then its F2P... its the first paygate to play its WORSE then F2P
  • Emencie
    Emencie
    ✭✭✭✭

They did

And if anyone believes they are going to be selling the normal potions we throw away in the cash shop they are deceiving themselves.

The cash shop potions will either be tri-potions, or a new potion that has some advantage over normal potions. Or else no one would buy them.
  • Rescorla_ESO
    Rescorla_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played SWTOR after it went F2P. I kept paying the monthly subscription just like I did before it went F2P. The maturity of the community was no different before or after the F2P conversion. Since I was still paying a monthly sub, I was never affected by the annoyances of F2P. Based on my experiences in SWTOR after it went F2P, it's really hard for me to take the TESO doom and gloomers seriously. I will continue to pay a sub for TESO and I am predicting my gameplay won't be affected at all by anyone taking advantage of the F2P model.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm... in another thread someone posted this:

"You can spend crowns in the in-game Crown Store to get unique mounts, special vanity pets, a variety of fun costumes for your character, and convenience items like health potions and soul gems."

but now I can't find the exact quote in the faq, so maybe I am wrong, or this person misquoted, or it was changed.
  • IvorySamoan
    IvorySamoan
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing like F2P at all.... you are clearly delusional my good mud crab.
    Just returning some video tapes.........
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Emencie wrote: »

They did

And if anyone believes they are going to be selling the normal potions we throw away in the cash shop they are deceiving themselves.

The cash shop potions will either be tri-potions, or a new potion that has some advantage over normal potions. Or else no one would buy them.

Ah there it is.
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing like F2P at all.... you are clearly delusional my good mud crab.

Explain the difference, then.
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm... in another thread someone posted this:

"You can spend crowns in the in-game Crown Store to get unique mounts, special vanity pets, a variety of fun costumes for your character, and convenience items like health potions and soul gems."

but now I can't find the exact quote in the faq, so maybe I am wrong, or this person misquoted, or it was changed.

Another example of a company that can't communicate. I just saw that one... I defer.
  • flavienbbb16_ESO
    SWTOR is the worst F2P, followed by LOTRO, maybe you should take a look at The Secret World, B2P, and hope we get something like that.
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is 100% FtP... the only difference is you have to buy the Box as the first pay gate...
  • staticstorm
    staticstorm
    ✭✭
    This is 100% FtP... the only difference is you have to buy the Box as the first pay gate...

100% File Transfer Protocol ? did u happen to mean F2P ?
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is F2P because all the PC USERS have already bought the game... its JUST LIKE LoTRO... you get bonuses for buying the game then its F2P... its the first paygate to play its WORSE then F2P

Uhhh, so my house and car were free because I bought them several years ago?

Having to buy a physical copy is a small but relatively effective deterrent to the worst of the f2p crowd.

I can tell you this, if the announcement was actually f2p, like RIFT or LotRO, or Archeage I would not be hanging around to see how it pans out.
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Free to play sorry I dont use the l33t speak
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, ZOS don't seem to be really interested in subscribers, the benefits you get are pretty dismal in terms of value for money in comparison to what you get if you don't pay.
  • staticstorm
    staticstorm
    ✭✭

Free to play sorry I dont use the l33t speak

sorry that's how companies use it as FTP means something else.
  • fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    fromtesonlineb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWTOR is the worst F2P, followed by LOTRO, maybe you should take a look at The Secret World, B2P, and hope we get something like that.
    There's precious little difference between B2P and F2P, B2P isn't a sustainable business model, the revenue they get from the boxes alone will be entirely insufficient to cover more than power costs I expect.