• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

Patch v1.5.3 – What happened?

• ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    andreasv wrote: »
    I appreciate the explanation. Let's try to keep these as a regular thing.

That's kind of sad that as a paying customer nowadays you appreciate a company explaining errors rather than making the effort to prevent any error.

Because screaming venomous hatred at the FORUM STAFF will fix anything wrong with the game. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect ZOS to fix the d@mn game. But I'm glad that the forum staff now admits there are problems. On that note......
    Sindala wrote: »
    They haven't admitted it thou, they gave a VERY lame excuse and hoped we would buy it (which the fanboi's did). This would not happen unless they are using some very cheap software indeed, and I mean very cheap....
    You probably don't speak American. I'll translate:

During the last step in the process, today’s patch encountered a problem where it unintentionally reverted back to a “last known good” version instead of proceeding with today’s patch.

Somebody made a mistake. We can't assign blame because that would invoke horrifying black magic called "Civil liability". As opposed to being sued so far into Oblivion Peryite wouldn't be able to find us, we're going to use legal parlance to basically admit we screwed up.
    Rodario wrote: »
    I think every subscriber should be given free days representing each day since 1.5.2 was applied. This is nonsense.

I don't care about free days, but I would appreciate an XP boost.

Agreed.

Here's my attempt just to fuel a silly argument and distract every one from the game..."American" is not a language...the language is English. Its just that Americans don't use it properly...hahahahaha....and lol

Actually in several states American is the officially recognized language.
    American or American English?

English-->American English-->English

That's the best I can explain it.
    English is a language, American English still uses English but with an American dialect where as once America started changing some of the English language (The way it's written, sounds,acts)then it no longer is considered English and is now American.
    Options
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and there you have it...putting a 'z' in the word recognised....my point is made
    Calm down and polish your armor.
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That's kind of sad that as a paying customer nowadays you appreciate a company explaining errors rather than making the effort to prevent any error.

Because screaming venomous hatred at the FORUM STAFF will fix anything wrong with the game. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect ZOS to fix the d@mn game. But I'm glad that the forum staff now admits there are problems. On that note......
    They haven't admitted it thou, they gave a VERY lame excuse and hoped we would buy it (which the fanboi's did). This would not happen unless they are using some very cheap software indeed, and I mean very cheap....

During the last step in the process, today’s patch encountered a problem where it unintentionally reverted back to a “last known good” version instead of proceeding with today’s patch.

Somebody made a mistake. We can't assign blame because that would invoke horrifying black magic called "Civil liability". As opposed to being sued so far into Oblivion Peryite wouldn't be able to find us, we're going to use legal parlance to basically admit we screwed up.
    I think every subscriber should be given free days representing each day since 1.5.2 was applied. This is nonsense.

Agreed.

Here's my attempt just to fuel a silly argument and distract every one from the game..."American" is not a language...the language is English. Its just that Americans don't use it properly...hahahahaha....and lol

then it no longer is considered English and is now American.
    Can I have a source for this?

I know there are differences and I don't dispute it, but I was not aware American is officially recognized as a separate language.
    Options
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and there you have it...putting a 'z' in the word recognised....my point is made
    Calm down and polish your armor.

damn...damn...and double damn...i cannot polish light armour (yes...with a 'u'...lol)...i need to respec
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.

I know there are differences and I don't dispute it, but I was not aware American is officially recognized as a separate language.

http://www.languagepolicy.net/archives/american.htm
    It's still recognized in Illinois I believe

http://www.pbs.org/speak/ahead/change/ruining/

I used to have more but can't find them.
    American is not recognized by the whole of the US just some states.
    Options
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

ahh...this is good stuff...but just to add, and i quote:

"The six official languages of the United Nations are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish. They are the mother tongue or second language of 2.8 billion people, nearly half the world population, and are official languages in more than half the States in the world."

Nowhere does it say "American" is a language
    Options
  • Seradwyn
    Seradwyn
    ✭✭
    The worst thing that has happened as a result of this situation is that I find myself actually reading the forums.

This kind of thing has happened at some point in the first year after launch in pretty much every MMO I've played since EQ.

I'm patient and stopped doing any of the gold quests until the obvious XP/VP issues are resolved.

As long as I can log in and muck around, it's all good.

There was a concept artist on the twitch live broadcast that made an off-hand comment regarding how quickly he was expected to finish his work. He looked stressed.

My concern is that someone with a corporate mindset, instead of a person with a gaming/gamer mindset and a corporate mindset, is driving the process.

This is art as much as it's a product. When you try to quantify productivity expectations for an artistic endeavor and then hold people to those artificial and almost always completely inaccurate productivity expectations, you not only create a miserable work environment, you screw things up.

In my mind and based on my experience, this is the direct result of senior leadership forcing their respective teams to meet timelines that are completely unrealistic and refusing to listen to anyone that says "hey, wait, this is messed up".

Speaking up about issues is completely unacceptable as some clueless MBA sends out nasty emails about budget and project timelines.

Tell whoever is forcing everyone else to act this way to stop it, please, and go back to a culture that understands a creative product can never be manged the same way a you manage the production of widgets.

Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

Thanks. Dropping the "English" part looks like a political decision rather than a linguistic one, but it's still interesting.

edit: Hmm, I did some digging and it appears this declaration was repealed in 1969.
    Edited by Rosveen on November 11, 2014 3:44PM
    Options
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.

"The six official languages of the United Nations are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish. They are the mother tongue or second language of 2.8 billion people, nearly half the world population, and are official languages in more than half the States in the world."

Again it is not overall officially recognized everywhere. Just in a few states, Illinois being one of them. I have to do some more digging to try to find the other ones. The point is that American is a language in its own right. Just most people still call it English since its so close to English. The whole argument was about whether American was a language, and in some states yes it is.
    Options
  • Spottswoode
    Spottswoode
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    damn...damn...and double damn...i cannot polish light armour (yes...with a 'u'...lol)...i need to respec

As long as it helps your defense.

American, in the criminal justice world, is a sarcastic aspersion for the tendency of corporations to avoid using categorically implicit language to avoid the appearance of accountability. I use it in this sense.
    Seradwyn wrote: »
    of senior leadership forcing their respective teams to meet timelines that are completely unrealistic and refusing to listen to anyone that says "hey, wait, this is messed up".
    Corporations are required to put out product every so often to appease their shareholders/investors, and a lot of the time they overlook some really big things. This time of year, in particular, a lot of game developers are overlooking a lot of glitches to try their d@mndest to send out a product before Christmas. (I'll let you think how that is linked to the current scenario.) Marketing will always affect the quality of a product.
    Proud Player of The Elder Bank Screen Online.
    My khajiit loves his moon sugar.
    Steam Profile
    Libertas est periculosum. Liberum cogitandi est haeresis. Ergo, et ego terroristis.
    Current main PC build:
    i7 3770 (Not overclocking currently.)
    MSI Gaming X GTX 1070
    32gb RAM

Laptop:
    i7-7700HQ
    GTX 1060
    16gb RAM

Secondary build:
    i3 2330
    GTX 660
    8gb RAM
    Options
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

Again it is not overall officially recognized everywhere. Just in a few states, Illinois being one of them. I have to do some more digging to try to find the other ones. The point is that American is a language in its own right. Just most people still call it English since its so close to English. The whole argument was about whether American was a language, and in some states yes it is.

I guess nowadays it is only the second language behind Spanish anyway in the U.S.
    Options
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

This is a bit off topic, but just so you know: Today's East-American English is much closer to the accent spoken by Englishmen around the time of the colonization of America, than today's British English is.

Basically, the British (nobility) developed a new accent to set themselves apart, while American English stayed more or less the same.

E.g.: French was pretty popular for a while and had some influence on British English, as evidenced by the use of "ou" in words such as colour or armour.
    Edited by Rodario on November 11, 2014 4:19PM
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
    Options
  • stevepdodson_ESO888
    stevepdodson_ESO888
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

This is a bit off topic, but just so you know: Today's East-American English is much closer to the accent spoken by Englishmen around the time of the colonization of America, than today's British English is.

Basically, the British (nobility) developed a new accent to set themselves apart, while American English stayed more or less the same.

I can truly believe that, as most of the "British English" seem to speak with a Pakistani or Indian accent.
    Options
  • Nikse
    Nikse
    ✭✭
    [...]
    We’ve since fixed that issue, but it resulted in a slightly older version of the patch going live
    [...]

obama-is-disappointed-too.jpg
    Eskin - Wood Elf Nightblade, Daggerfall Covenant
    Options
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Agreed.

Um, I'll have to emphatically disagree on this one, yes I know a study by a university proved it.

Unfortunately a University in America saying Americans speak a version of english that's historically more accurate rings a few too many alarm bells.

Basically the probable truth is that both sides of the atlantic have changed over the centuries. Also we Brits don't all speak like the nobility, try listening to Ant and Dec if you don't believe me.

Note: I'm not saying it should have been a British University BTW, just not an American one (given the result), an Australian or Japanese University would have raised no alarms.

Likewise if a British University had said that a Somerset Accent had been around in the same form since Shakespeares days, I would have an equally hard time accepting it.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on November 11, 2014 4:40PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
    Options
  • AaronMB
    AaronMB
    ✭✭✭
    JessieColt wrote: »
    bunnytrix wrote: »
    This is a joke right ? This should be hotfixed immediately , even if it means people working overnight (yes I know, a concept totally alien to ZOS.)
    3 more days, lol seriously..this company....leaves me speechless.

Soooo..I expect that these 3 more days PAYING CUSTOMERS have to wait for this fix will be added free of charge to player's accounts ? Yes I know it should be a free month of game time for all subscribers for the crap that we've been given recently, but 3 days would be a decent goodwill gesture.

LMAO!!

http://www.zenimax.com/legal_terms

6. Availability of Services and Content; Game Maintenance, Patches, Updates; Termination of Services
    ZeniMax may patch, update, or modify at any time with or without notice to You. Notwithstanding the foregoing, ZeniMax has no obligation to make available any patches, updates or modifications or correct any errors or defects in the Services. ZeniMax makes no guarantees about the persistence or availability of any user names or other personas at any time and assumes no liability for lost or deleted Account data. Except as prohibited by applicable law, You agree that ZeniMax will not be liable for any interruption of the Services, delay or failure to perform, any loss of Content (including, but not limited to, User-Generated Content and Downloadable Content), and/or Account data (including, but not limited to, Character data) resulting from any causes whatsoever. ZeniMax reserves the right to offer new Services, change and/or discontinue certain Services at any time in its sole discretion.

11. Disclaimer of Warranty
    TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ZENIMAX DOES NOT MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES OR GUARANTEES TO YOU REGARDING ANY SERVICE, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE QUALITY, FUNCTIONALITY, AVAILABILITY, ACCESSIBILITY OR PERFORMANCE OF A SERVICE. EACH SERVICE IS PROVIDED TO YOU ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS.

IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE QUALITY, FUNCTIONALITY, AVAILABILITY, ACCESSIBILITY OR PERFORMANCE OF A SERVICE, YOU MAY CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE SERVICE.

...Make note of that last part.

IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE QUALITY, FUNCTIONALITY, AVAILABILITY, ACCESSIBILITY OR PERFORMANCE OF A SERVICE, YOU MAY CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO THE SERVICE.

A friend of mine (who listened to that Joe reviewer guy and didn't invest in ESO) pointed this out to me several months ago.

Yeah. Talk about foreshadowing...
    Edited by AaronMB on November 11, 2014 5:20PM
    Options
  • AaronMB
    AaronMB
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe we ALL need to /bug report this XP thing. If vamps or NBs or DKs (etc) can get together and cry foul loud enough, we certainly should be able to as a whole.

In addition, there are too many folks that don't even know this is happening. Spam the Zone!
    Edited by AaronMB on November 11, 2014 5:24PM
    Options
  • Djeriko
    Djeriko
    ✭✭✭
    Djeriko wrote: »
    Yeah this was another disappointment. Almost as disappointing as how we were promised armor dyes and someone neglected to remind everyone there that SHIELDS were armor types. Yep that's right. Me again. Talking about SHIELD DYES. Get used to it until the dyes are implemented for my tanks.

Rekward:
    "Coming from DAoC, I'd actually prefer it if our shields would display the same Code of Arms as our Tabbards!"

That would be something cool too but for the ones who don't want to wear tabards, it is an annoyance to have a mismatched shield. To be more specific. I want the three colors to be changeable on my shield just like every piece of armor has three colors that we can change. Why is that so hard to get?
    Edited by Djeriko on November 11, 2014 5:39PM
    "When in doubt, kill it with fire."
    Options
  • mandragor1996
    mandragor1996
    ✭✭
    When players act so intensely on every issue with I quit or else then you cant expect a higher priority to be put on the issues that should have such a priority. The project management would likely allow more time if the community was more patient for fixes to be implemented. You cant expect anything on the rush to turn out 100%. It never does. Also expecting the company to provide all possible entertainment via additional content is likely never going to turn out the way you want. It's far better to develop your own entertainment especially for times like this which includes doing things now that stock or add to the entertainment later.
    Options
  • seanvwolf
    seanvwolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is how the patch fixes don't populate on the PTS a month in advance... This means, even if a version 1.5.7 "works" on the PTS, 1.5.4 is slated to be released because a month of PTS play, bug reports and fixes has been (properly) implemented, tested and veted. Pushing untested patches to the live server is just asking for problems. It is clear that their milestone timelines are being forced to a schedule which is unreasonable for any team, experienced or otherwise, to provide for.
    Edited by seanvwolf on November 11, 2014 9:30PM
    Options
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    I really hate all the people on here who are complaining saying "too bad these patches weren't actually in 1.5.3..." or "...they're just saying that to save their butts..." Seriously, why do you guys act like ZoS is some big bad company who has no concern for their customers happiness? You act like they're doing a BAD job at creating one of the largest and most ambitious games known to date.

@ZOS_KaiSchober, thank you very much for the update and I'm glad you will be pushing out the update as soon as possible. I understand that computers like to have a "mind of their own" sometimes, at least when it comes to downloading or updating software. Thanks again for such a great game!
    Options
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really hate all the people on here who are complaining saying "too bad these patches weren't actually in 1.5.3..." or "...they're just saying that to save their butts..." Seriously, why do you guys act like ZoS is some big bad company who has no concern for their customers happiness? You act like they're doing a BAD job at creating one of the largest and most ambitious games known to date.

@ZOS_KaiSchober, thank you very much for the update and I'm glad you will be pushing out the update as soon as possible. I understand that computers like to have a "mind of their own" sometimes, at least when it comes to downloading or updating software. Thanks again for such a great game!

I think I'm gonna hurl.
    Options
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seanvwolf wrote: »
    What I don't understand is how the patch fixes don't populate on the PTS a month in advance... This means, even if a version 1.5.7 "works" on the PTS, 1.5.4 is slated to be released because a month of PTS play, bug reports and fixes has been (properly) implemented, tested and veted. Pushing untested patches to the live server is just asking for problems. It is clear that their milestone timelines are being forced to a schedule which is unreasonable for any team, experienced or otherwise, to provide for.

Well, they don't even put the final version of the update on the PTS. For instance, this time 1.5.2 was the live update patch, yet 1.5.1 was the latest build on the PTS. That seems to work well, huh?
    Options
  • stunning
    stunning
    ✭✭✭

You want to know how well they are doing at "creating one of the largest and most ambitious games known to date" People are leaving this game to go back to WOW
    Options
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed.

E.g.: French was pretty popular for a while and had some influence on British English, as evidenced by the use of "ou" in words such as colour or armour.

It seems like American English is morphing into a sort of creole where, for example, English like "should have" is starting to become "should of," even though the latter means nothing syntactically.

I think this is due to the break down of public education in the US and the lack of reading, critical thinking, and writing required of young people (i.e., students). But I haven't studied this, so it's just speculation.
    Edited by Blud on November 12, 2014 12:52AM
    Options
  • chipputer
    chipputer
    ✭✭✭
    stunning wrote: »
    You want to know how well they are doing at "creating one of the largest and most ambitious games known to date" People are leaving this game to go back to WOW

Umm...

... people always leave games to go back to other games. That doesn't mean they're doing bad. They're certainly not doing great, but there's a lot more to the process than just, "they screwed up, they're awful, it's all their fault."

There's corporate decisions that often get in the way of the way a game should be developed and it's getting really old seeing all of these "hardcore" video game players who don't take that into account when they complain.

FYI: WoW goes through a lot of the same processes.
    Options
  • Oldbushie
    Oldbushie
    ✭✭✭
    At least we aren't earning negative XP.
    Edited by Oldbushie on November 12, 2014 1:56AM
    Options
  • stunning
    stunning
    ✭✭✭
    Oldbushie wrote: »
    At least we aren't earning negative XP.

Give them a little more time -- that may come in the next patch
    Options
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Typical illiterate use of Symantics because the language,no matter what you want to rename it through silly legislation, remains the English Language at it's heart. You can't consider a dialect a language unto itself.
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
    Options
  • boony
    boony
    ✭✭
    Damn, need to read the forums more, I've just spent this week getting my main char (on EU) through the last zone, to complete cadwells silver. When I entered the zone I was around 80% through v4, just about to do the 'completing" quest and I'm only around 11% into v5. All I'm missing is 4 world bosses.

The update is much appreciated though ZOS and I'm sure you guys are as frustrated as us.
    Options