Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Really 1.1 Sec cast time on snipe,lethal arrow , focused aim?

• Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    I can jack my weapon power up far higher at far less cost and see far more benefit from it as a *sorc*.
    I noted this on the forums a while ago in relation to Force Shock's increased damage since the raised Weapon Damage cap. It's easier to just stack Weapon Damage and use Destruction spells than anything else.

It has compounding effects as well since it raises your weapon light attacks as well. It is also *cheaper* from a stat cost perspective.

What benefit as a Magicka user is there to use spell power any more? It's absurd. They need to buff the base damage of magicka spells or increase the softcaps on spell power and rate it the same as weapon power on a stat cost perspective.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can jack my weapon power up far higher at far less cost and see far more benefit from it as a *sorc*.
    I noted this on the forums a while ago in relation to Force Shock's increased damage since the raised Weapon Damage cap. It's easier to just stack Weapon Damage and use Destruction spells than anything else.

It has compounding effects as well since it raises your weapon light attacks as well. It is also *cheaper* from a stat cost perspective.

What benefit as a Magicka user is there to use spell power any more? It's absurd. They need to buff the base damage of magicka spells or increase the softcaps on spell power and rate it the same as weapon power on a stat cost perspective.
    With all the very justified buffs to Stamina abilities, it's now about time to get the Spell Damage cap at the same level as the Weapon Damage cap, if you ask me.
  • Skylandra
    Skylandra
    ✭✭✭

With all the very justified buffs to Stamina abilities, it's now about time to get the Spell Damage cap at the same level as the Weapon Damage cap, if you ask me.

So now that there is some balance between Magika and Stamina (Destruction is not Stamina) you want them to make Magika OP again?

Magika is fine. Stamina has just been brought to a level that can compete.
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see the problem. Always someone complaining. At least now Stamina users can compete. On the flip side whats the cast times for the staff's? I am sure they were not as slow as the Snipes were prior to this must needed change.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skylandra wrote: »

So now that there is some balance between Magika and Stamina (Destruction is not Stamina) you want them to make Magika OP again?

Magika is fine. Stamina has just been brought to a level that can compete.
    Read the posts again. They concern Weapon Damage and Spell Damage caps, not Magicka and Stamina. I even mentioned that the buffs to Stamina abilities are justified (and long over due).
  • Agrippa_Invisus
    Agrippa_Invisus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Passing on the sharpened discussion then.

Your target selection example is the exact type of drawback that glass cannon and LA builds should be dealing with. If you're in LA, even with shields, getting hit by Bows, 2H, Dual Wield, even 1H/Shield should hurt if the attacker has a moderately competent build. That's the price paid for pulling on the armor with 100 armor rating instead of 200.

ZOS has chosen a different balance method for the 'longest range' and that's the 'easily mitigatable'. Have a high armor rating, use a shield, be a DK with wings, roll dodge when you hear the audio cue, use damage shields to absord the blow, or get friends and hide behind them.

And to, only briefly, address Destro staff -- that entire line needs to be reviewed again. Elemental Wall/Blockade is definitely not working as intended. The skill line as a whole just seems to be too strong and encompasses many of the problems with ESO right now -- zergballing, low TTK, low skill ceiling, etc.

The difference in damage between heavy armor with shield and light armor with shield isnt that great. The vast majority of damage done to me is to my shields, not my health so there is no real cost to me for having light armor. With light armor I can still stack shields all day long.

I'm going to cut straight to this part, Ezareth.

That part I bolded? That's a serious issue with game balance. I don't care whether you're shield stacking or even if you have a shield on. The moment there's no opportunity cost to LA over HA or MA, then you're dealing with issues that need the devs to come in and fix.

You will never, ever convince me that it's balanced that LA, in any form, has the same survivability (or even a close proximity to it) of a HA or MA wearer. HA wearers especially have sacrificed a great deal of offensive ability to defense and are still not seeing the returns that are necessary for that to be a fair trade.

As for Destro vs Bow -- Destro staff is still easily as strong as bow. There is simply no way to unleash the vast amount of offensive firepower in the game that Destro staff has any other way. The sheer amount of AE damage it puts out easily outstrips the DPS Bow has as long as you keep yourself hitting close to the AE cap. It doesn't kill one person as dead as quickly, but it doesn't need to. It's for a different job -- roomsweeping.

Agrippa Invisus / Indominus / Inprimis / Inviolatus
    DragonKnight / Templar / Warden / Sorcerer - Vagabond
    Once a General, now a Citizen
    Former Emperor of Bloodthorn and Vivec
    For Sweetrolls! FOR FIMIAN!
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to note that as we all heard in the Guild Summit audio, the whole situation of LA being at least as good as and in most cases better than MA/HA when it comes to protection/usability should be solved once the Champion System overhaul is in place.
    Edited by Lava_Croft on November 6, 2014 3:20AM
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Passing on the sharpened discussion then.

Your target selection example is the exact type of drawback that glass cannon and LA builds should be dealing with. If you're in LA, even with shields, getting hit by Bows, 2H, Dual Wield, even 1H/Shield should hurt if the attacker has a moderately competent build. That's the price paid for pulling on the armor with 100 armor rating instead of 200.

ZOS has chosen a different balance method for the 'longest range' and that's the 'easily mitigatable'. Have a high armor rating, use a shield, be a DK with wings, roll dodge when you hear the audio cue, use damage shields to absord the blow, or get friends and hide behind them.

And to, only briefly, address Destro staff -- that entire line needs to be reviewed again. Elemental Wall/Blockade is definitely not working as intended. The skill line as a whole just seems to be too strong and encompasses many of the problems with ESO right now -- zergballing, low TTK, low skill ceiling, etc.

The difference in damage between heavy armor with shield and light armor with shield isnt that great. The vast majority of damage done to me is to my shields, not my health so there is no real cost to me for having light armor. With light armor I can still stack shields all day long.

I'm going to cut straight to this part, Ezareth.

That part I bolded? That's a serious issue with game balance. I don't care whether you're shield stacking or even if you have a shield on. The moment there's no opportunity cost to LA over HA or MA, then you're dealing with issues that need the devs to come in and fix.

You will never, ever convince me that it's balanced that LA, in any form, has the same survivability (or even a close proximity to it) of a HA or MA wearer. HA wearers especially have sacrificed a great deal of offensive ability to defense and are still not seeing the returns that are necessary for that to be a fair trade.

As for Destro vs Bow -- Destro staff is still easily as strong as bow. There is simply no way to unleash the vast amount of offensive firepower in the game that Destro staff has any other way. The sheer amount of AE damage it puts out easily outstrips the DPS Bow has as long as you keep yourself hitting close to the AE cap. It doesn't kill one person as dead as quickly, but it doesn't need to. It's for a different job -- roomsweeping.

There are fare more damning balance issues in the game other than LA versus MA versus HA but I'll put in my 2 cents on it.

It seems you want Heavy Armor to be the most survivable because that is historical. In most game Heavy armor is balanced against lighter armor by a loss of mobility and or a loss of encumbrance. Even in Skyrim with a max crafted light armor set you could reach the statistical armor cap and enjoy all the benefits of armor that weighed next to nothing. The only reason you'd wear heavy armor was if you liked the perks.

Back to ESO, there is no real penalty for wearing Heavy Armor or Medium armor over light. You can sneak just as well in all 3 armors and there is no encumberence or any other penalties. They designed armors to benefit particular playstyles and currently armor does exactly what it should do. The real reason most people are wearing light armor whether they realize it or not was because sharpened wouldn't work without it, and the heavy armor passives were garbage, plus most people did magicka damage.

Now in 1.5 the entire game has changed and I daresay light armor versus heavy versus medium are balanced. A Bow user can now play as a medium armor build or a heavy can and not feel like he is losing too much by giving up Light Armor. If anything the average base spell resistance far exceeds the average base armor, especially considering *everyone* gets 300 free armor piercing in cyrodiil. More and more people are going to try Medium and Heavy armor and find that they're performing much better now that Magicka damage is so week.

This is the type of crap that really needs to be look at. The original game had some attempts to balance LA versus HA like the peircing bonus yet when they finally made spell resistance beneficial it is now *too* strong. Physical abilities by comparison with their magickal counterparts now do far more damage and are more efficient.

As far as you're justification for Destro versus Bow because of a single AoE ability that is just not apples to oranges and don't forget the fact that the Destro penetration ability is still broken as Sharpened was and you can fully pierce all spell resistance if equipped properly. I'm fine with them fixing the penetration passive and balancing spell resist but if they do that then they need an across the board buff of magicka abilities because right now Spell damage is just garbage.

And for the record, I can't recall the last time I died to Impulse unless I was really playing risky like dying on a flag in an attempt to prevent it from flipping.

Just like you don't have a problem with Bows as a DK, I don't have a problem with *any* AoE because I'm a sorc and the most mobile class in the game. I think that in itself is balance as the only way you can freaking kill a DK is by using AoE abilities that can't be blocked or reflected. Try to look at this objectively.

Edited by Ezareth on November 6, 2014 5:47AM
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agrippa and Asgari I feel you are bypassing a point made consistently by Ez.

The point is not simply that bows hurt. That on it's own is fine. The problem is that one glass cannon build (built around spell power, class skills & light armor) at the moment deals both less damage and receives more damage than another glass cannon build (the medium armour archer, whatever class). There's a reason you're starting to see many Sorc archers

The buffs to bows and physical damage came almost at the same time as fixes to spell penetration and the removal of Cycle of Life. I'm not saying that these fixes are bad, in fact these changes were good. I'm simply stating the state of the game afterwards.

Atm Lethal Arrow and Venom Arrow are better damage dealing skills than what you'll find on the Sorcs arsenal. That is even before we take sets into consideration that increase an archer's damage flat out. As Ez said, spell damage does not scale so well as weapon damage.

On top of that you both play DKs. Which is vastly different from playing a Sorc Light Armor. Many many more ways for damage mitigation and heals to allow both tanking and decent DPS available to the DK. I know, I play one. Spamming shields and bolting away is not exactly light armor tanking is it?

Finally, the only supposedly solid method for self-heals (Crit Surge) is to a large extent being negated by another broken mechanic which they haven't bothered to fix yet, Impenetrable.

My main char is a Sorc. I know just as well as Ezerath what they are capable of doing in both PvP and PvE. There are plenty of other tools in the sorcs armory other than sharpened trait and resto passive.

Ezerath knows this as well, you can still have great intended DPS on a sorc with sharpened being fixed. There are plenty of other choices out there besides just crystal frags (which still hit for 1k+). People need to QQ less and evolve their play style. You'll find zero sympathy here.

You "know sorc" yet crystal fragments still "hits" for 1k+ ....which shows exactly how well you know sorc and why any of your advice on being a sorc should be discarded.

With softcap 2500 magicka and 129 spell damage my tooltip says it hits for 741. With the Nerf to penetration it hasn't hit for over 700 since patch.

Even the biggest trash can bow user right now is lethal arrowing me for far more than that....plus a guaranteed crit from stealth and a stun if positioned right.

You play sorc as a kite and evade and strike when they are out of resources. I Stay in there and DPS, if i die, i die. So be it. But i sure am not going down without a fight.

My sorc still hits for 1k crystal frags. Its all on the sets your wear and the skills you use at your disposal.

If you spent lest time running and mages fury you might know this.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy Armour + Block, incoming damage reduced to 100.

However... yes these changes are dumb and the new FOTM, you can see this in the fact everyone now wears medium armour and uses a bow. I guess we got that light armour destro staff nerf we all asked for...
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."