The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does ESO end all hope of a real TES online game?

R1ckyDaMan
R1ckyDaMan
✭✭✭✭
So I hear all these MMO fans have been waiting years for a MMO with a TES skin to come out.

Well as it happens alot of TES fans have been waiting for a TES game to come out with online features, just not with all the MMO junk.

Do you think this game ends all hope of bethesda ever adding any online features at all to any future TES game?
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would anything end all hope about anything? You are not asking a question, you are making a statement, and I do not agree. What Bethesda does or does not choose to include in their next TES game will probably be influenced by what ZOS did and did not do with ESO, but why the doom and gloom?
    Edited by stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO on September 30, 2014 3:31PM
  • PSLAnimal
    PSLAnimal
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO is a real TES online game.

You may not agree with the way Bethesda and Zenimax developed it, but it is a TES game, it is online, and it is real.

Beware of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy.
    Animal (Ask me what the PSL stands for. Go on. Ask.)
    @PSLAnimal on the NA Megaserver
    Making people wonder just what the hell is wrong with me since 1961.
  • ThisOnePosts
    ThisOnePosts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is as much a TES game as Skyrim is. People whined and complained that one was not like the previous entry.... this always happens with games.

ESO does a great job at blending TES into the MMO genre. Sure there are still things to be added of which we are all awaiting, however they will arrive in due time!!
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a skillbar *yuck* We have levelled zones *yuck* we have all the other things that come with mmo that do not come with a TES game, it has the skin and that is all really.
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    R1ckyDaMan wrote: »
    So I hear all these MMO fans have been waiting years for a MMO with a TES skin to come out.

Well as it happens alot of TES fans have been waiting for a TES game to come out with online features, just not with all the MMO junk.

Do you think this game ends all hope of bethesda ever adding any online features at all to any future TES game?

This is not TES, don't see the relation.

You're talking about solo game TES, I don't see why the MMO experience should have any influence over the solo game since they have nothing to do with each other :).

"TES fans have been waiting for a TES game to come out with online features" just means you want a TES solo game which is constantly updated with solo content with limited to none interaction with other players sharing the world. Nobody would be crazy enough to try to make a game like that, not even bethesda, it's just not worth it money wise :)
    Edited by TehMagnus on September 30, 2014 3:41PM
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't really understand what you're asking exactly. If you are asking whether there will be another Elder Scrolls MMO, the answer is maybe. There have been several MMO's that have had sequels. EverQuest, EverQuest 2, and EverQuest Next for instance. Or Guild Wars and Guild Wars II. Or Star Wars: Galaxies and Star Wars: The Old Republic. If there was another MMO with the TES brand it would probably be run by ZOS because that is their online division.

If you're just asking if there will ever be a multiplayer component to a TES game then the answer again is maybe. There were rumors that Skyrim was going to be multiplayer, but so far no single player TES game has had multiplayer so it's just as likely that they won't in the future.

The question doesn't make sense and it relies on pure speculation, but more importantly it's completely irrelevant.
    :trollin:
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why would anything end all hope about anything? You are not asking a question, you are making a statement, and I do not agree. What Bethesda does or does not choose to include in their next TES game will probably be influenced by what ZOS did and did not do with ESO, but why the doom and gloom?

The OP is attempting to goad us into bashing ESO. There are plenty of threads where I have given my very honest and not very kind opinion of the state of the game. We do not need another thread just to give us a place to vent frustrations. Instead we should keep our grievances specific and relevant.
  • Welka
    Welka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you suggest we cast a spell without a skill bar in an MMO? Pause the game, select skill, left click?

Works well in Skyrim but here... Come on!
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok for example a TES game with invite or drop in online features, so you can quest with a friend or 2 for example.

Does ESO end any chance of Bethesda adding any drop in/invite online features in future TES. Alot of people only wanted to quest with a friend or 2 and not a full blown mmo because you might struggle with this but there are alot of people who do not like what an mmo brings.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have a skillbar *yuck* We have levelled zones *yuck* we have all the other things that come with mmo that do not come with a TES game, it has the skin and that is all really.
    I'm not sure if you have played many MMO's but it's certainly not a re-skinned typical MMO. If anything most of my complaints with this game are that it's not treated enough like a true MMO. Features are lacking that are in my opinion somewhat necessary for a enjoyable MMO experience. For instance, a stripped down menu is fine in Skyrim but this game is far too complex for that mess we are given as a menu. In Skyrim you can simply pause the game to swap weapons or spells, the addition of the skill bar is necessary in an MMO. I don't see how any logical person doesn't see that.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok for example a TES game with invite or drop in online features, so you can quest with a friend or 2 for example.

Does ESO end any chance of Bethesda adding any drop in/invite online features in future TES. Alot of people only wanted to quest with a friend or 2 and not a full blown mmo because you might struggle with this but there are alot of people who do not like what an mmo brings.
    I don't think that you realize that Bethesda is not ZOS. They both have the same parent company, but Bethesda is solely responsible for the single player games. You are posting this in the wrong forums, you need to take your request up with Bethesda.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I should thank the OP for creating a thread where I actually get to defend ZOS for once.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loaded question

The answer is: ESO is a real TES online game.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're talking about an online co-op mode right? Honestly, until the time between Skyrim coming out and ESO coming out I had never heard a TES fan want online anything added to the franchise aside from the occasional musing about MMO possibilities. ESO is announced, and suddenly some players come out of the wood work to say co-op is what fans really wanted, as if they speak for all TES fans.

To answer your question, I actually think ESO makes it more likely that a future single player TES game might have online co-op since now they have data on how players quest together. But who really knows.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • CirithValaria
    CirithValaria
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP: how many tes games have you actually played?
    Sounds like you've only tried Skyrim and wanted that (in)famous Skyrim 2.0 online...

For me eso feels more tes than Skyrim... and that makes me a happy litte lizard!
    :)
    Motto:
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us...
    What we have done for others and the world, it remains and is immortal...”

About me:
    @Cirith-Valar'ia & @Lilith-Valar'ia (in-game)
    | hardcore-casual | pc-eu / ps4-eu | pve | pvp | player since early beta | subscriber since early-launch |
    | The Sanctum Sanctorum - founder & guild master |

Characters:
    @Cirith-Valar'ia(pc-eu)
    Cirith Valar'ia | Dunmer (F) | Lady of Light, Templar DD (stamina) | (ex)VR 16 | Aldmeri Dominion (Master Crafter - all crafts, traits & styles.)
    Nezghul Sithis | Breton (F) | Winter Ward, Warden Tank (magic) | lvl 50 | Aldmeri Dominion
    Hakrate Hecate | Orc (F) | Dying Light, Templar DD (stamina, PvP) | lvl 50 | Aldmeri Dominion
    Tummien-Vesien-Tulkki | Argonian (M) | Blood Shield, Nightblade Tank (magic) | (ex)VR 16 | Ebonheart Pact
    Valonkantaja | Argonian (F) | Healer of the Hist, Templar Healer | (ex)VR 16 | Ebonheart Pact
    Tulenvalaja | Argonian (M) | Guardian of the Hist, Dragonknight DD (magic) | (ex)VR 16 | Ebonheart Pact
    Kuolon-Raatojen-Kaitsija | Argonian (M) | Corpsekeeper of the Hist, Necromancer Tank (magic) | lvl 20 | Ebonheart Pact
    Kal-Mah | Argonian (F) | Spawn of Wamasu, Sorcerer Tank (magic) | (ex)VR 16 | Ebonheart Pact
    Puutiainen | Bosmer (F) | Horny Ravager, Sorcerer DD (stamina) | (ex)VR 16 | Daggerfall Covenant
    Musta-Surma | Khajiit (F) | Nightpawler, Nightblade DD - thief/murderer (stamina) | (ex)VR 16 | Daggerfall Covenant
    T'Sok Shiar | Altmer (F) | Touched by Daedra, Sorcerer DD (magic) | (ex)VR 1 | Daggerfall Covenant (Master Cook - all recipes.)
    S'auron | Khajiit (M) | Poison Paw, Dragonknight DD (stamina) | lvl 50 | Daggerfall Covenant
    (1100CP)

@Lilith-Valar'ia(pc-eu)
    Lilith Valar'ia | Dunmer (F) | Phœnix, Dragonknight Healer | lvl 25 | Aldmeri Dominion
    Stormpaw | Khajiit (F) | Cpt. Pirate Puss, Sorcerer DD (stamina) | lvl 25 | Aldmeri Dominion
    Iliath Valar'ia | Dunmer (F) | Storm Ward, Sorcerer Tank (magic) | lvl 25 | Aldmeri Dominion
    Haudantakainen | Argonian (M) | Pale Avenger, Nightblade DD (magic) | lvl 25 | Ebonheart Pact
    Kira Tal'Shiar | Breton (F) | Warrior of Light, Templar DD (magic) | lvl 10 | Ebonheart Pact
    Sunpaw | Khajiit (M) | Crescent Moon Guardian, Templar Tank (stamina, PvP) | lvl 40 | Daggerfall Covenant
    Shangri Shadowtusk | Orc (F) | Shadowtusk, Nightblade DD (stamina) | lvl 50 | Daggerfall Covenant
    (180CP)

@CirithValaria(ps4-eu)
    Topaz-dar | Khajiit (F) | Mysticat, Sorcerer DD (stamina) | lvl 5 | Aldmeri Dominion
    Her-Frozen-Heart | Argonian (F) | Frozen Shield, Warden Tank (magicka) | lvl 5 | Daggerfall Covenant
    Neazgûl | Redguard (F) | Bear Matron, Warden DD (stamina) | lvl 50 | Daggerfall Covenant
    (160CP)
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're just asking if there will ever be a multiplayer component to a TES game then the answer again is maybe. There were rumors that Skyrim was going to be multiplayer, but so far no single player TES game has had multiplayer so it's just as likely that they won't in the future.
    Word on the street is that the engine and toolchain Bethesda uses is not multiplayer-capable. Anyone not involved in programming may not immediately see why this is a bummer. If such things aren't built-in from the get-go, it's very, very hard to add them later and have them performing well, if at all. It's usually safer and less of a hassle to rewrite things from scratch. This is also the reason why no TES game has been published for OS X yet.
    The question doesn't make sense and it relies on pure speculation, but more importantly it's completely irrelevant.
    It's not entirely irrelevant as the wish of a multiplayer TES game hasn't been around since only yesterday. It's just that it's extremely unlikely to ever happen, ESO or not.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy ESO, because it really does TES well, and even on OS X. :wink:
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Welka wrote: »
    How do you suggest we cast a spell without a skill bar in an MMO? Pause the game, select skill, left click?

Maybe we only have 5 skills because the other five are being kept for the new spells that are coming in the next patches??

:open_mouth::joy: would be awesome :joy:
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So you invite a friend to play with you. He has been playing that toon for 200 hour and you are just starting. Do you fight dragons or skeevers? How does the game decide?

You are in a battle and you realize you have the wrong spell/weapon equipped. Does pausing the game pause it for both of you (or the 3 or 4) or does the dragon keep pounding you while you try to equip the weapon as quickly as possible?

I come from TES games and this is my first MMO and I do really enjoy it.

The Moot Councillor
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Time to go then, don't let the door hit you on the way out ;)
  • Soloeus
    Soloeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an Elder Scrolls game, like it or not. If you don't like it, bye. You won't stay. If you like it, you will stay.

This is just an MMO with 1-5 limited skillbar and a lack of content that provides top end loot to top level players. The only content which does, Craglorn, does not appeal to a large part of the playerbase. Most people who "master" it, quit not too long after, flustered with the whole thing.

More will be added, and like it or not, ESO is Elder Scrolls. It is a mid tier MMO wearing the skin of Elder Scrolls. It is what it is.

It surely isn't bad it just doesn't have the same awe because of all the limitations it naturally must have to maintain any sense of balance in an environment with thousands of players.

ESO isn't supposed to be the next Skyrim or Morrowind. Hopefully, over time it will grow into a better game it is now. Most games start vanilla then perform a series of upgrades that obsolete all other content prior to the update. I don't want this in ESO but it is what it is.

Within; Without.
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Much of ESO feels a lot like an MMO with Elder Scrolls lore simply placed over it.

Cyrodiil feels like The Elder Scrolls in an online setting.

The game on the whole is solid, but Cyrodiil is what really keeps me here.
    Would really like to see expansions to the Cyrodiil experience in the future.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Word on the street is that the engine and toolchain Bethesda uses is not multiplayer-capable. Anyone not involved in programming may not immediately see why this is a bummer. If such things aren't built-in from the get-go, it's very, very hard to add them later and have them performing well, if at all. It's usually safer and less of a hassle to rewrite things from scratch. This is also the reason why no TES game has been published for OS X yet.
    Okay...but were are not talking about whether Skyrim is ever going to be multiplayer. There will be sequels to Skyrim and if they so choose they can make it multiplayer. Your statement seems to be coming out of nowhere and doesn't really fit into the discussion. As far as OS X....Yeah, why would you get a Mac for gaming? Or for any reason?
    It's not entirely irrelevant as the wish of a multiplayer TES game hasn't been around since only yesterday. It's just that it's extremely unlikely to ever happen, ESO or not.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy ESO, because it really does TES well, and even on OS X. :wink:
    Why is a co-op TES game unlikely? Multiplayer co-op is not the same as MMO. Anyone who thinks they are the same has never played an MMO.
    Edited by eventide03b14a_ESO on September 30, 2014 4:13PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disagree with the premise behind the OP's question. I've played all the previous TES games, and this one is an excellent online version so far as I'm concerned. I'm not looking for any other online versions to be released.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »
    Welka wrote: »

Maybe we only have 5 skills because the other five are being kept for the new spells that are coming in the next patches??

:open_mouth::joy: would be awesome :joy:
    Not awesome. I actually like that you are limited to only 5. Every other MMO has you use 6 bars of 10 or 12 simultaneously and I don't really find that enjoyable.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nevermind
    Edited by AlexDougherty on October 1, 2014 10:11AM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay...but were are not talking about whether Skyrim is ever going to be multiplayer. There will be sequels to Skyrim and if they so choose they can make it multiplayer. Your statement seems to be coming out of nowhere and doesn't really fit into the discussion. As far as OS X....Yeah, why would you get a Mac for gaming? Or for any reason?

Well, studios usually use the same engine as the basis for a series of games, or variations thereof. Morrowind and Oblivion used the same engine. Skyrim had a newer version, but you have to assume that their underlying logic/parametres would still be the same. There is enough code to be written for a new game without having to reinvent the engine every time.

So to include a multi-player co-op option, there would have to be a considerable resesign of game mechanics. Otherwise it would be like adding a second floor to a house whose foundation can only support a bungalow.

I'm not saying it's never going to happen, but it is an investment of additional time and money and Bethesda needs to take into account what the return on investment on that would be.

I have not played many co-op games, but from the ones I remember (Halo, Borderlands), you don't actually have levels like in TES games, so how would a co-op verion of TES handle that in your view?
    The Moot Councillor
  • Emeliana
    Emeliana
    ✭✭✭
    I remember very early in ESO, talking to some people who had been beta-testers saying "We asked for a up to 4-player co-op, now look what crap they gave us."

There was a project called 'Skyrim Online' for playing the original game in co-op fairly good although the game-code wasn't perfectly suitable for that. Sadly the main programmer went awol before updating the client for the last patch of that game.

Rumour says Zenimax had something to do with it and possibly hired that guy.

• Tyr
    Tyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

Well, studios usually use the same engine as the basis for a series of games, or variations thereof. Morrowind and Oblivion used the same engine. Skyrim had a newer version, but you have to assume that their underlying logic/parametres would still be the same. There is enough code to be written for a new game without having to reinvent the engine every time.

So to include a multi-player co-op option, there would have to be a considerable resesign of game mechanics. Otherwise it would be like adding a second floor to a house whose foundation can only support a bungalow.

I'm not saying it's never going to happen, but it is an investment of additional time and money and Bethesda needs to take into account what the return on investment on that would be.

I have not played many co-op games, but from the ones I remember (Halo, Borderlands), you don't actually have levels like in TES games, so how would a co-op verion of TES handle that in your view?

This is exactly right. TES single player games will never be able to handle true Co-op. the most the engine will ever be capable of is to allow you to drop in as a companion to the primary player's world like Fable 3.

In fact, this is the reason that the unofficial skyrim online mod does exactly that and is now defunct.

Even if Betehsda were to completely rework the engine, you would still have the EXACT SAME design choices to make as ZOS did with ESO because, fundamentally, you will always have to balance the giving the player meaningful choices in a sandbox against allowing for other players to affect those choices.
    Edited by Tyr on September 30, 2014 5:15PM
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    You just hit the nail on the head, fable 3 is an excellent example.

What are the chances of that happening to a TES game now ESO is here.
    Edited by R1ckyDaMan on September 30, 2014 5:14PM
  • Stroggnonimus
    Stroggnonimus
    ✭✭✭

Author fails to understand 1 very important thing -You can't just take Skyrim and suddenly make it online. No. It just won't workout. Skyrim wasn't designed as Online game (though co-op there would be nice :smile: ). Lots of people hate on ESO, why ? Because they though this will be Skyrim 2 Online. But that just isn't possible. World is too small, crafting system doesnt fit an MMO, quests are single player, no content that could be played as Multiplayer and so on and so forth. Personally, I'm happy with ESO. It deserves having The Elder Scrolls name.
    Whoever said that argonians aren't sexy, is obviously not a sexy argonian.

OG Argonian tank

BLOOD FOR THE PACT !