The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does ESO end all hope of a real TES online game?

• eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JessieColt wrote: »
    R1ckyDaMan wrote: »
    Ok for example a TES game with invite or drop in online features, so you can quest with a friend or 2 for example.

Does ESO end any chance of Bethesda adding any drop in/invite online features in future TES. Alot of people only wanted to quest with a friend or 2 and not a full blown mmo because you might struggle with this but there are alot of people who do not like what an mmo brings.

What you are asking for is a Co-Op function. The ability to have a friend join you in a single player game for questing, etc.

That is not the same as an MMO.

None of us, who do not directly work for, or with, Bethesda have any idea what their plans are for the future.

Your request for that ability and functionality in a future TES game is better suited to the main Bethesda Forums where discussions occur regarding the offline games.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/
    I swear to God @JessieColt‌ I think you are one of the few people who actually grasps this concept.
    :trollin:
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallmor wrote: »
    If you really want a new single-player ES game (with multiplayer or not), no problem. Just give Bethesda the $200+ million it will cost to develop it. Maybe you could set up a Kickstarter. All you really need are 200+ friends to donate $1 million a piece and you're all set. You could even offer rewards like "Donate $1 million or more, get a free t-shirt." ;-)
    Skryim made over 1 billion. I'm pretty sure Bethesda can bankroll themselves.

Obviously, they don't agree.
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time you fire up the game...watch the company titles on the bottom of the screen ;)
    Then ask yourself why Bethesda has put their name on the box ?
    Then ask yourself why Bethesda made an announcement of ESO staff losses ?
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 2, 2014 8:29AM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »
    Next time you fire up the game...watch the company titles on the bottom of the screen ;)

I still don't get where people get this idea that Bethesda and ZOS are completely independent and separate (as if they both have complete and total freedom to just do whatever they want with no oversight, even to develop competing games). I think it's wishful thinking on behalf of the single-player fans--as if Bethesda is developing its own single-player TES title and doesn't even know ESO exists or something, as if they think ESO has NOTHING to do with the TES series.
    Edited by Pallmor on October 31, 2014 1:36PM
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never said they were not part of the company, what I was saying is that with ESO now here and kinda an online elder scrolls game why would bethesda add any online features to the real elder scrolls games.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you really want a new single-player ES game (with multiplayer or not), no problem. Just give Bethesda the $200+ million it will cost to develop it. Maybe you could set up a Kickstarter. All you really need are 200+ friends to donate $1 million a piece and you're all set. You could even offer rewards like "Donate $1 million or more, get a free t-shirt." ;-)
    Skryim made over 1 billion. I'm pretty sure Bethesda can bankroll themselves.

Obviously, they don't agree.
    Who is "they"? What are you talking about? Do you seriously think they are not already developing Elder Scrolls VI?
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LMFAO. They are crediting Bethesda. Is that seriously the entirety of your argument? An introduction credit and some alleged announcement? How about citing some references? Please stop before you hurt yourself with these ridiculous arguments.
  • Ragefist
    Ragefist
    ✭✭✭✭
    So I hear all these MMO fans have been waiting years for a MMO with a TES skin to come out.

Well as it happens alot of TES fans have been waiting for a TES game to come out with online features, just not with all the MMO junk.

Do you think this game ends all hope of bethesda ever adding any online features at all to any future TES game?

Looking at current evolution (think AC: Unity). Its very much possible that next instalment of ES games could have multiplayer

Hoever for that, you should head to Bethesda forums, not here
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never said they were not part of the company, what I was saying is that with ESO now here and kinda an online elder scrolls game why would bethesda add any online features to the real elder scrolls games.
    We are talking about co-op. That is not the same as MMO.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This *IS* a true online ES title.

What you're asking for is a Single Player ES title with co-op built in.

Completely different kettle of fish.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • R1ckyDaMan
    R1ckyDaMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »

But why would beth waste resources adding co-op to future single player games in the series when they can just send people in the direction of eso.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LMFAO. They are crediting Bethesda. Is that seriously the entirety of your argument? An introduction credit and some alleged announcement? How about citing some references? Please stop before you hurt yourself with these ridiculous arguments.

@eventide03b14a_ESO‌ ,they're not grasping the role of consultant.

ESO wasn't made by Bethesda because Bethesda stated years ago that they would not be making a multiplayer TES game.

It's not what TES is, nor will it ever be. It's similar, but different. They are two separate worlds and they will always be that way.

If you want Co-op courtesy of Bethesda, check out Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Obviously vastly inspired by TES, and about as close to "Real TES online game" as you'l ever see.

Water and Ice...same, yet different.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@eventide03b14a_ESO‌ ,they're not grasping the role of consultant.

ESO wasn't made by Bethesda because Bethesda stated years ago that they would not be making a multiplayer TES game.

It's not what TES is, nor will it ever be. It's similar, but different. They are two separate worlds and they will always be that way.

If you want Co-op courtesy of Bethesda, check out Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

Obviously vastly inspired by TES, and about as close to "Real TES online game" as you'l ever see.

Water and Ice...same, yet different.

Clearly they are not. I keep repeating that if Bethesda decides to create a multiplayer co-op TES game that it will be a decision based completely independently of this game. An MMO and a single/multiplayer game are not the same and I really cannot stress that enough. This entire thread is based on a nonsensical premise.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But why would beth waste resources adding co-op to future single player games in the series when they can just send people in the direction of eso.
    Why is that a waste of resources? Someone tell EA that adding multiplayer to Dragon Age Inquisition was a waste of resources. Or the countless other single player games that have co-op/multiplayer. I don't understand why you keep asking why. They are going to add any feature that they feel will give them more sales. Not everyone wants to play an MMO to play with their friends.
  • bedlom
    bedlom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a TES fan since morrowind and imo it already is a true ESO and im sure there are many who agree.
  • WraithAzraiel
    WraithAzraiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Short answer, yes, this game ends all hope of a TES game with online features but no MMO features.

(This request doesn't make sense by the way, what's the difference between online features and MMO features? You can play online but not with other people? What then would be the point? I think what you want is a TES game with multiplayer features like cooperative play, THAT could be a possibility in the future.)

Long answer, why pander to just 1 type of player when you can market a product to multiple types.

I wouldn't expect an online game in the ES universe without all the MMO trimmings, not gonna happen. Not while this one makes money anyway.
    Shendell De'Gull - V14 Vampire Nightblade

Captain of the Black Howling

"There's no such thing as overkill..."

"No problem on the face of the Earth exists what can't be fixed with the proper application of enough duct tape and 550 cord."

P2PBetaTesters
    #Tamriel_BETA_Team
    #BETA_TESTER4LYF
    DominionMasterRace
    #GOAHEADTHEYGOTCANDY
    #SEEMSLEGIT
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it comes down to one M
    MORPG vs MMORPG

And why would a separate isolated company who wants to put clear water between themsleves and sister company.....add said sister company to the main title screen at all ? Is this a Bethesda product or a Zenimax product ?

I am pleased you are amused. Laughter is a good thing. But it doesnt raise my opinion of you.
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭

No way we as players can answer will it ever happen. The only question we can answer is whether we want it or not.

Personally, I don't see why I would want my epic single player quest interrupted by other people. It's like reading a book versus watching sports.

The invite system sounds quite undesirable unless the guest could only come in as a character that already exists in the host's world and is matched to the host's current level. I doubt that is what those dreaming of TES co-op want.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MORPG vs MMORPG

And why would a separate isolated company who wants to put clear water between themsleves and sister company.....add said sister company to the main title screen at all ? Is this a Bethesda product or a Zenimax product ?

I am pleased you are amused. Laughter is a good thing. But it doesnt raise my opinion of you.

I cannot believe that this actually has to be written out anymore.

Elder Scrolls Online is a Zenimax Media Inc. product published by Bethesda Softworks, LLC, and developed by Zenimax Online Studios.

The future TES 6, will be a Zenimax Media Inc. product published by Bethesda Softworks, LLC, and developed by Bethesda Game Studios.

The reason that "Bethesda" appears at the opening of the game is because that is the logo for Bethesda Softworks, LLC, the publisher of the game. This is why the Bethesda Softworks logo appears in the lower left corner of the launcher.

Bethesda Softworks LLC is not who makes Skyrim. They share the same location, but the game is written by Bethesda Game Studios.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • NadiusMaximus
    NadiusMaximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With only adventurer classes being able to be made, it's like any other mmo.
    To be a true tes game, online, you should have been able to choose to be a regular towns person. Then learn a craft, then build a store, then sell your goods as a tradesman. That would have been epic. Especially if you were limited to two characters only.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be a true tes game, online, you should have been able to choose to be a regular towns person. Then learn a craft, then build a store, then sell your goods as a tradesman. That would have been epic. Especially if you were limited to two characters only.

When did the main story/quest line of a TES game not revolve around a lowly prisoner, who's fate was to become a world-changing or -saving hero through many adventures?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did the main story/quest line of a TES game not revolve around a lowly prisoner, who's fate was to become a world-changing or -saving hero through many adventures?

Daggerfall
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MORPG vs MMORPG

I cannot believe that this actually has to be written out anymore.

Elder Scrolls Online is a Zenimax Media Inc. product published by Bethesda Softworks, LLC, and developed by Zenimax Online Studios.

The future TES 6, will be a Zenimax Media Inc. product published by Bethesda Softworks, LLC, and developed by Bethesda Game Studios.

The reason that "Bethesda" appears at the opening of the game is because that is the logo for Bethesda Softworks, LLC, the publisher of the game. This is why the Bethesda Softworks logo appears in the lower left corner of the launcher.

Bethesda Softworks LLC is not who makes Skyrim. They share the same location, but the game is written by Bethesda Game Studios.

So there is two "different" Bethesda companies. Ok.... makes sense now if thats the case. Tah.

Apologies to eventide.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on October 16, 2014 10:18PM
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tea Roll ...
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget online, all I ever wanted was coop in an Elder Scrolls game. Even if it's only split screen. I am hopeful for coop in ES6.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To answer the OP: I really, really hope so.

All games have budgets, and if part of that budget goes to some gimmicky multiplayer features, that means there would be less budget for singleplayer, leading to more shallow & dumbed down gameplay.

Having played all TES games released this century, Morrowind is still the best one. It is the only one I still pick up & play sometimes. After Morrowind, the series went downhill and started becoming more "action" than RPG.
    Oblivion had less of everything (although I preferred the combat system), and Skyrim even more so (even attributes/skills were gone).

I really hope they change their course and try to get back to their roots with TES6 (RPG, not Action), instead of wasting budget on gimmicks. /rant
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Daggerfall

So Daggerfall is the one true TES game ESO should be modeled after, and the other four are not? (Yeah, I know that wasn't your proposition.)

Looks like 4:1 in favor for an adventurous ESO, populated by adventurous types. :wink:

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am wondering if TES 6 will have any online component to it other than Steam Chat and downloading of mods. I would expect that ZOS would honk if BGS started to tread on the Online part of "Elder Scrolls Online".

If there is a co-op mode in a BGS game, I would expect it in the Fallout series before the TES series.
    Edited by Elsonso on October 16, 2014 10:41PM
  • Rhaegon
    Rhaegon
    ✭✭
    Why is everyone saying ESO is not a good TES game? It's one of the only MMOs that actually give us real updates every month. Also you will be able to craft spells and become a guard or thief. If they keep with the good ideas in 2015, I have nothing to complain about.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am wondering if TES 6 will have any online component to it other than Steam Chat and downloading of mods.

Chances of that happening are slim. Money quote:
    "Every time we make an Elder Scrolls game we always, on some level, talk about multiplayer," Hines explained. "But I think what we continue to come back to is: one, that it's not necessary because clearly we've done okay without it and two: is it adding anything that's missing to the game or the experience we're trying to create?"