The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Do you think ZOS should implement more things to the User Interface?

• Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they should take the most dowloaded addons from ESOUI and support them as optional features.
    Well on one side while it would be awesome to finally see them doing something actually useful...

But the chance of zen devs doing it wrong and not being able to implement them without breaking something is far too high.

PS: this is a MMO , i couldnt care less about immersion in this game. I use tons of UI ADDONs to get more data and i would use even more if i saw new good ones.
    Edited by Nox_Aeterna on September 18, 2014 5:01PM
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I like the minimalist UI and everybody should be forced to use it or just use addons.
    If a player feels like their need more info -- there are addons, but for of us do not feel the need, we keep default min UI and we should NOT have to feel forced to use so called "option" to play the game.

Once an "option" is in the default UI, there is more peer pressure to use the "option" even if the player hates it. By keeping certain "options" in the land of addons, there is less peer pressure to use the addons. This is what I meant by being forced to use the "options" and it is best to keep them as addon for those feel that they has no need for those "options".

I want play a TES game 1st and MMO 2nd.

It is a trade off, I have to put up with some MMO aspects for ESO to work as a MMO and MMO players must put up with some TES game aspects to keep the TES fans happy.

Keeping a Min UI is an aspect that a MMO player must get used too. That is why ZOS is allowing addons, to help to keep MMO players happy if they feel that they "must" have that certain options. That does not mean it should be part of the default UI. Some addons are best left as addons and stay out of the default UI.
    Options
  • neolewis85
    No but I do agree that the current features need work to make them user friendly.
    I like the current UI but yes it could be tweaked a bit. Things like moving stuff around, like player portrait and status bars, display buff bars, etc. Saying that though there are addons for this stuff so it does not really bother me whether ZOS make the addon or someone else.

Everyone can't be pleased so just giving people the necessities and if they want more get an addon seem fine to me.
    Who are you to question why your god does not want me to believe in him?
    Options
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I like the minimalist UI and everybody should be forced to use it or just use addons.
    ZOS must understand their player based. The fact is, (I dare say) that most players came from the single player TES game background and to them, immersion, RP, story and lore are the more important then the "Min Maxers" of the MMO.

ZOS must walk a fine line between the two camps to keep both playing styles of players happy. Addons is an answer to this "problem," ZOS can keep the default UI min to keep the RP'ers and those who love immersion happy, and at the same time allowing ESO to be modify via addons to keep the min maxers happy with so called "needed info" happy as well. ZOS should NOT combine the two play styles into one default UI, then neither camp will be happy.

ZOS should keep doing what they been doing all the long, support the players who want a min UI and letting ESO be modify to those who think that they needed that extra info via addons and NOT putting in the default UI. (At least to a point, then addons becomes cheating, but that is another talk all together)
    Options
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    (New) players should at least have a chance to catch the unique flavor of the game in the beginning. If it would look like any other run-of-the-mill MMO UI from the get-go, people might not catch the dev's intention behind their design decisions and could mistake ESO for any other MMO junk food that's out there.

The way the default UI is now, players have to pause and think about what they expect (trained/acquired perception). They might even find that not every feature they've gotten used to in other games is really needed to enjoy the game. If they then make the informed decision that they absolutely cannot live without a certain feature, they can then go and look for addons.
    Options
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they should take the most dowloaded addons from ESOUI and support them as optional features.
    k9mouse wrote: »
    ZOS should keep doing what they been doing all the long, support the players who want a min UI and letting ESO be modify to those who think that they needed that extra info via addons and NOT putting in the default UI. (At least to a point, then addons becomes cheating, but that is another talk all together)

And that is your opinion , which is fine , but it clearly it isnt even the more popular one in this poll , which should bring to attention that they need to check this better.

The issue with ADDONs is quite simple , they might stop being supported by their creators and thus stop working in the game. Which would only take one update from zen , since they manage to break almost all ADDONs on each big update.

I can honestly say that without some of my current ADDONs i wouldnt even bother playing this game anymore , the amount of basic features that it is lacking is so absurd , that it would become more of a chore than a actual game.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
    Options
  • Delvick
    Delvick
    ✭✭
    Caspur wrote: »
    It is an "Elder Scrolls" game so I say keep it minimal. All other ES games are and this should not be different even if it is a MMO.
    I disagree with that.
    The difference of game types must be taken into consideration when designing the game, otherwise several issues will arise. Interface issues like the ones we are pointing out and also gameplay issues like the Magika/Stamina imbalance caused by the fact they copied and pasted the single player game stat system into a class based MMO.
    I have it said and I quote:

"Games like WoW, people play the UI and not the game." With a min UI, people are more focus on the world, thus are not playing the UI.
    People play the UI in WoW not because of the basic interface features that we are asking for, it is because all the add-ons that warn people about specific combat mechanics, transitions and also parse all the damage and healing done during raids. So Devs started creating content taking in consideration that people would use those add-ons.
    The Revenant
    Aikana Airmid • V14 Templar
    Rev'ari • V14 Sorcerer
    Aikanah • V14 Dragonknight
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well on one side while it would be awesome to finally see them doing something actually useful...

But the chance of zen devs doing it wrong and not being able to implement them without breaking something is far too high.

PS: this is a MMO , i couldnt care less about immersion in this game. I use tons of UI ADDONs to get more data and i would use even more if i saw new good ones.

Yep, different strokes for different folks, though I fall in the same category as you. That's why options are good.
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Delvick‌

I think we both agree that playing a game's UI is bad design. The question becomes, how to draw people into the world and at the same time give the information that they need?

IMHO, the default UI does a good job over all. I do not mind if ZOS tweak some behind the senses UI aspects like inv shorting or better searches in the guild stores, but ZOS needs to leave UI clean and min as they can so that it will encourage the players to play the game and not the UI.

Most addons what I have seen does a very bad job doing that, they just clutter the UI up with info and draws players away from the game play and into UI play.
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »
    No I don't think the developers should take the most downloaded add-ons and include them in the game. That's intellectual property theft.

I do think they should listen to user feedback and develop their own optional extra UI features that we can enable or disable from the settings menu.

If they don't care to do this and want everyone to use third party add-ons, they should make a statement to this effect. I personally don't care to use add-ons because I don't install third party software from random people on my computer for security reasons.

It actually isn't. If they are any smart, in the EULA you accept before developing stuff, it prolly says they can decide to "develop their own by inspiring with your work" or just plainly "take your work and implement it". Since by making addons & using the API you accept to the EULA, it's not intellectual property theft.
    Options
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    The entire UI needs an overhaul. Not just in terms of features but also in it's design and usability.
    The menu is atrocious and there isn't any reason why you should have to navigate so many different screens to accomplish tasks or see information. We need more information on the character sheet.
    Give us every detail. It's a character sheet there is no reason why things like resistances should be a mystery.
    Put the skills and the inventory on the same tab along with at least an overview of basic stats. You have designed the game to tie the skills with the weapons so you should be able to swap weapons and abilities without changing the screens. The skills and weapons effect our stats we should be able to easily compare these changes without switching menu tabs.
    This is all off the top of my head. There are so many other things that I could come up with.
    :trollin:
    Options
  • GnatB
    GnatB
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    I'd much *much* rather them concentrate on adding UI features that aren't possible via addons.

i.e. native (and thus optimized) minimap that shows detected harvest nodes/detected hostiles/danger zones.

(The first primarily so I can turn back on the grass, the latter 2 to attempt to bring first person gameplay up to par with the omniscience of 3rd person.)
    Achievements Suck
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    your question was:

my answer:
    yes absolutely, as immediate as possible id like them to take the "in my face front and center screen messages" about cryodiil and also about any and ALL messages that are center screen and place them on the top right or top center like where all the other messages are located :)
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    your question was:

my answer:
    yes absolutely, as immediate as possible id like them to take the "in my face front and center screen messages" about cryodiil and also about any and ALL messages that are center screen and place them on the top right or top center like where all the other messages are located :)

Options for the win! :)

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    Azzuria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yet another poll bemoaning design choices.

No, ZOS should not clutter up the UI. They actively and happily support the add-on community. If -you- want a cluttered UI then -you- can have a UI as cluttery and blinky and overwhelming as you desire.

I like the design choices and am perfectly happy using a couple of mods to fill out the UI to my preferred functionality and specifications
    Brunhilda Icehammer - Nord Dragonknight, 'Smith & Enchantress 'What is 'ranged? I need to hit something!!'
    Laehl Direthorn - Bosmer Nightblade, Purveyor of fine Clothes, Bows and Staves
    Reeza gra-Zuni - Orc Templar 'War Shaman' and Apothecary
    Noemi Snowpaw - Kajiit Dragon Knight - I laugh... or I'd have to kill you.
    Kitera Dreamon - Breton of The Dominion: Because those Daggers don't appreciate a great Mage.
    Lysara Shadowcroft - Dunmer Bloodmage: This will only hurt a lot.
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Azzuria wrote: »

No, ZOS should not clutter up the UI. They actively and happily support the add-on community. If -you- want a cluttered UI then -you- can have a UI as cluttery and blinky and overwhelming as you desire.

I like the design choices and am perfectly happy using a couple of mods to fill out the UI to my preferred functionality and specifications

It's not a desing choice, it's called: "let's make the players work for us for free!"
    Options
  • GwaynLoki
    GwaynLoki
    ✭✭✭
    Working buff-tracking on yourself, allies and enemies. That's what is needed. Deactivate it if you don't want it, but give me the option to have reliable info for things, like healing, reapplying buffs and debuffs, cleansing debuffs. In the current game this does not exist. Addons aren't reliable, they can for example not track whether the "Evil Hunter" skill is triggering and thereby refreshing its duration. Because Zenii doesn't allow addons to access that kind of data.

I value your immersion, that's why I say make it so it can be toggled on/off, but please respect my wish to be able to make better decisions when for example healing in dungeons. Watching your own char (so you don't stand in red circles) - coupled with bad dodging mechanism - and your allies' health is already difficult enough. Trying to see a debuff animation on an ally in a animation-heavy environment is a pain, time-consuming and distracting. I have said it before, I don't want addons/ui to play the game for me, but give me more information so I can make better decisions.
    Edited by GwaynLoki on September 19, 2014 11:39AM
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    magnusnet wrote: »
    Azzuria wrote: »

It's not a desing choice, it's called: "let's make the players work for us for free!"

That combined with a mad The Vision(tm) not seen since the days of Brad McQuaid....

Probitas
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    Addons are fine only if not used in PVP. In PVP, all sides should be using the same tools, and the only thing Z can do to guarantee that level field is preventing addons in PvP.

L2P is something I always hear uttered by so called 'hardcore' PvP players. Addons are a crutch.
    Edited by Probitas on September 20, 2014 4:29AM
    Options
  • KenjiJU
    KenjiJU
    ✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    Nothing added to the main UI necessarily, unless it's added really intuitively.

I'm all for adding more details on the character stats and other pages. I would love a favorites pane when you open up your skill page, and options for skill set swapping.
    Options
  • Gillysan
    Gillysan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    The first choice comes close to what my actual answer would be. I think if they made the decision to be minimalist with the default UI they should stick with that decision. However, the current state gets a D- from me.

I do thank ZOS for implementing the API. That too needs work but at least they gave us that.
    Options
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had absolutely no problems with the minimalist UI so far. Sure, there are some features that could use tweaking(guild store search, I'm looking right at YOU)....but overall....I like it the way it is.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
    Options
  • Leeric
    Leeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    No but as long as the features are optional and don't advantage other people I'm fine with it.
    One reason I continue to play this game is because I don't have a bunch of crap on my screen.
    Options
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Probitas wrote: »
    Addons are fine only if not used in PVP. In PVP, all sides should be using the same tools, and the only thing Z can do to guarantee that level field is preventing addons in PvP.

L2P is something I always hear uttered by so called 'hardcore' PvP players. Addons are a crutch.

Guess what? It is a completely level field, everyone can download addons or enable optional game settings!

TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leeric wrote: »
    One reason I continue to play this game is because I don't have a bunch of crap on my screen.

What part of "Optional" and "Disabled by default" don't you understand then? :/
    Options
  • k9mouse
    k9mouse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Peer pressure will make any so could "optional" UI be forced on you. Best to leave it out of the default UI!

Guess what? It is a completely level field, everyone can download addons or enable optional game settings!

That is true, BUT with addons, people are less likely use the purpose of the addon when compare to how likely people use it if is part of the default UI. Besides, I want ZOS to be working on new content and bugs fixing, then adding clutter to the min UI.
    Options
  • Oolou
    Oolou
    ✭✭✭
    No but as long as the features are optional and don't advantage other people I'm fine with it.
    Optional can be a tricky concept for some. If groups start to require certain features being used, then although something may be 'optional' in that it can be turned on/off, in reality it stops being optional. That's the only thing that worries me about this poll and other similar ones which use the word 'optional'. But if things are truly optional, then fine.
    Options
  • BBSooner
    BBSooner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the UI associated with TES, whether it's an MMO or not. IMO to change should require an add-on, just like any other TES.
    Options
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (please explain).
    They had plenty of time to implement UI enhancement during beta, and they did put a buncha UI stuff in.

Then, it seems, that they decided to pull it out, save future time/capital expenditure on UI development, and foist it off on the under-appreciated add-on devs, who do it for free.

So, they save time, money, man-hours, and as a bonus they get the ability to blame any and all bugs on the add-on devs whenever convenient.

Whats not to like, from the dev's side of the table?
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.
    Options
  • TehMagnus
    TehMagnus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Peer pressure will make any so could "optional" UI be forced on you. Best to leave it out of the default UI!

There is NO difference what so ever between peer pressure "forcing you" to use addons or forcing you to use UI elements. If you don't have the FTC addon and you can't show your DPS, you won't get into core raids of good PVE guilds. Argument is non valid since it makes no difference for it to be a UI or an addon element. The only difference is that UI elements are likely to be maintained all the time and have more information than the addons which is a good thing for people that use them. If you're weak enough to succumb to peer pressure, that's your issue.

That is true, BUT with addons, people are less likely use the purpose of the addon when compare to how likely people use it if is part of the default UI. Besides, I want ZOS to be working on new content and bugs fixing, then adding clutter to the min UI.

"with addons, people are less likely use the purpose of the addon when compare to how likely people use it if is part of the default UI. "

That's not English. Still, I suppose you mean that addons make it harder for people to use them since it's harder to download them and they aren't integrated in the game, which means that, by your logic, it's best to have a "select few" downloading the addons and thus having "unfair advantages" because they know how to do it instead of letting everybody chose to enable or not the UI element? You arguments still make no logical sense.

If everybody can enable them, everybody has a chance to be on an "equal level"(I don't think addons make the game unfair, some of them give me information to play better but it doesn't do the work for you, so you still depend on your skill). Whether you choose to enable them or not is your decision and only weak people end up being "forced" to do something they don't want to do.
    Options