Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Arrives on Steam"

• DyingBreed
    Marginis wrote: »
    I realize I'm just saying the same thing as most everyone else here, but I think it's something that Zenimax needs to hear, and the more people chanting, the more likely the message will get across.

ESO as it stands is a slowly dying game. As much as I like it, and want to support it, and have supported it since early in the beta, many players have very quickly given up because of a lack of content and high subscription cost. What ESO has keeping it alive right now is a relatively small but loyal fanbase. This is not MMO fans, this is not TES fans, this is Elder Scrolls Online fans. The more Zenimax can do to keep their support now the easier it will be to gain others' support later, and will ultimately be what I think keeps ESO alive, on PC and consoles later.

On the other hand, if word spreads that ESO isn't worth it, the console launch might be less than spectacular. When favor is given to new players over old players, who might I add are proven fans if they've stuck around this long, the old players get disenfranchised and spread word that hey, ESO isn't worth it.

You can see where the conclusion is.

I personally have put quite a bit into this game. While I haven't played much myself recently, I still lead a modest guild in the game (much smaller after many members have left the game due to boredom) and expect to be back as new features are introduced. The new guild features soon, and later the housing, particularly get me pretty excited. I've been in the thick of it, and promoting the game amongst friends since the beta, but to be honest, the boredom is getting to me too, and I honestly don't have the money to spend $15 a month on a game I hope will grab my attention later down the road.

My problem isn't that the game is being released on Steam. It's not even that new players are getting a vanity pet way cooler than my s*** throwing monkey or my diseased crabs (seeing as I RP these descriptions are accurate).

The problem here is that the dedicated fanbase, myself included, putting up with all these frustrations because we honestly believe in ESO, are being what would appear to be overlooked. Why don't we, the ones who actually believe(d) in you Zenimax, get the arguably best vanity pet to be released? We, the dedicated, are the last people you should slight.

Now I realize no one would intentionally screw the fans over, but even accidents need to be rectified. There are ways! Give steam keys to those who have already bought the game, or if nothing else, those who preordered originally and are still playing. Let the existing players get access to the same new features. In the very least offer those of us who stuck with you since the beginning this sweet vanity pet.

We're still fans, Zenimax, but we rely on your good will just as you rely on ours. But please don't let this kind of thing become a trend. It might seem like a small or inconsequential thing, but you need to set a precedent so this kind of thing doesn't happen again with the console releases.

By the way, thank you for reading this monster of a post if you made it this far. I usually want to make my points short and poignant, but I feel this needs to be explained. Just saying "I'm quitting ESO because Zenimax is neglecting us" isn't fair to anyone, and I hope I've expanded beyond that.
    Additionally, I think I should mention that offering the new vanity pet as a microtransaction in a cash store, in a similar fashion to the palomino horse, is not a proper solution. Offering this pet for additional charge is the same thing as is already happening - the additional charge as it stands now being the price of the full game (albeit on discount) on steam. Additionally, it would go against Zenimax's word not to implement microtransactions, even beyond the palomino horse, and also invalidate the need for the subscription cost to be $15 a month. It really seems difficult to rectify that price even now, but that's a discussion for another time.

I do not think it is the lack of content or the fees killing the game.I think it is all of the stupid ****that is killing the game and no info going out about it .Like the stacking problem with the guild bank ,toons not working like they should (Nightblade freeze and other spells for other toons,random disconnects, enchanting runes 2 types stacked to 100 the other one stacked to 20 why?)that they do not address properly.All of that going on and they fix the lighting in a couple of patches really It is just like nothing is wrong with the game and the speed that they are fixing the problem is a snails pace.Problem that should have not even been in the game to start with because the technology has bee out for YEARS over 10 look at WoW.they have a grouping system that work and has how years ,the items stack in that game too,now has far as the spells i can understand to a certain degree because that can be different per toon and per spell.So all in all people just want the damn game fixed in a timely manner not pay 15 dollars a month plus want they paid for the game for a beta or sometime it seems like a alpha game.So get the game fixed or shut it down and say sorry we cant make a good mmo try anther game not made by us.Just to sum it up FIX THE DAMN GAME IN A TIMELY MANNER and you will have players.
    Edited by DyingBreed on August 5, 2014 11:16AM
  • arooo2b16_ESO
    arooo2b16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    im behind just giving those who got preorder and especially the higher costing preorders like Imp ed. a steam key so we can get a dog sounds very reasonable and simple surely.
    comon guys get this on the table and in our hands please :)
    bump as they say :)
  • Marie
    Marie
    Soul Shriven
    Either give us pre-order players the dogs, too, or let us kill them in-game like everything else to take out our frustrations.

I laughed at this for half an hour! This is beyond funny! Let the dog massacre begins! >:)
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to post here again because this is an issue I'm keeping up with, and I'm still holding out hope that Zenimax will release the same dog that Steam players get to existing fans. If we're lucky, maybe even Steam integration too. Seeing as they haven't quite been strict in their use of "exclusive" content so far, this shouldn't be too much of a stretch on the dog at least.

Who knows, if Zenimax shows us they care, I might go ahead and reverse what I told my friend, to not buy TESO. Zenimax gains back a loyal customer, gets a new one, and I get my silly dog. Looks like a no brainer to me.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Brettoel
    Brettoel
    ✭✭✭
    After Reading some of the comments i know im not alone but i cannot seem to find the answer i am looking for:

here is what i want: To be able to bring my ESO game (which i pre-purchased it as imperial version, hell molag bal is on my desk right now) INTO steam but NOT as a non-steam game, but to turn an already bought game into a steam game.

i dont see a reason why i should have to pay to get the same thing

reasons:
    1: ok the pet is not a big deal to me, but lets include it

2: i cannot leave a review of the game ( cuz all i see is bad reviews on there and it makes me sad that i cannot say my opinion and express how and why i am loving the game thus far)

3: Play time hours on steam library cuz who wouldn't want that

4: this is my sort of ocd talking but i like it when all my games are easily accessed with 1 program (even though adding the game as a non-steam works but just doesn't feel that way i know im weird)

i know dealing with this issue will not be easy but it would be nice if after a certain upcoming update the team works on this issue and seal the deal once and for all.

but it would be reassuring to know the company has given this issue thought and have made a decision.
  • MiliStarling
    MiliStarling
    ✭✭✭
    Although I do understand the practical business value of Steam's services in general, and I also understand the interests of players who enjoy Steam's features,
    I personally loathe Steam from the deepest reaches of my very soul (okay, a little melodramatic, but pretty close to that,,). And I have good reasons for this, but that's another discussion, for its own thread.

However, I think it would be fun to have this scroungy mutt, in-game -- maybe even worth having to deal with Steam.

There's been a lot of talk in this thread about what's "right" or "wrong", regarding the pet and Steam compatibility -- players speaking according to various Life principles, and business ethics.
    I have to say, I find these concerns largely irrelevant, since what matters in the end, for both ESO players and Zenimax, is reward per investment. All morals and personal sense of values aside, the arrangement simply must be satisfactory for both the customers and the company. It boils down to what works, and what doesn't; right/wrong, fair/unfair, it's what both parties are able to afford, and are willing to settle for.

The working model for promotional items in MMOs so far is:
    Announce, and make available a unique promotional item to everyone in the current game (in this case, anyone with the Imperial Edition of ESO, both old and new players, who log in during the promotional period). Yes this makes the item quite common (less 'unique' and special) for awhile. But in Time, it becomes more and more rare and prized. This way of managing promotional items, as 'participation' rewards, coupled with the already implemented veteran rewards system ('subscription' rewards) is fun and satisfying for most within the general body of the MMO population.

I would even consider it fair if all those, who previously had non-Steam Imperial Edition and were sub'd during the promotion period, would now have the option to fully integrate their current account with Steam, and receive the Whiterun Wolfhound pet, as a retroactive reward for their continued support and participation in the Elder Scrolls Online world.

Again, this is coming from someone who not only hates Steam with deep-seated passion, but would also love to have the pet, and would not be eligible, as I was not sub'd during the promotion. It's just what seems sensible and equitable at this point -- the most satisfactory solution for both players and the company.

As for the rest of us who may feel left out or jealous, we simply need to accept we were lacking the participation and sub' support during that promotion, so we did not get rewarded for it.
    > p <
    Edited by MiliStarling on September 7, 2014 4:28AM
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Neizir wrote: »
    PLEASE give Imperial Edition buyers the pet dog! We paid full price for the game and now any old Joe Blogg can get the Imperial Edition for less than the price of the Standard Edition at launch and get it with a free pet dog.

Imo, people who bought the Imperial Edition before the Steam launch of the game, are getting totally shafted here.
    yes i admit aswell i am very pissed about this...basicaly they are much more rewarded...then we are for being with them from betas...and early access till now... and what did we got?..a wraith pet :s and those who come waaaay later they will have all that we get from loyality program+ they buy the game at a huuuge discount+ unique stuff that WE that were there from THE BEGINNIG...we are left with the pain to watch how...well how ZoS aint giving a *** about us :(
  • DiscipleofTyr
    DiscipleofTyr
    Soul Shriven
    I work at Wal-mart and from what I have seen, the Explorer's Pack comes with every current copy of the game you buy in the store... I might be wrong, they might be overstock release editions... but I am sure I have seen that on the covers. (I still like having physical copies of my games. BTW, BETA tester and game-life-long player here... and I believe that everything given to new players should be backwards compatible with LOYAL GAMERS. Especially those who pre-ordered the Imperial Edition. I rather like my Molag Bal sitting on my computer tower looming over me as I play.)
  • MetricXD
    MetricXD
    Soul Shriven
    I bought ESO on its launch date (4/4/14) and I just convinced my friend to buy it.If he buys ESO on Steam, will he still be able to play with me?
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    MetricXD wrote: »
    I bought ESO on its launch date (4/4/14) and I just convinced my friend to buy it.If he buys ESO on Steam, will he still be able to play with me?

Yep! All PC/Mac players are on the same megaservers. You'll just need to make sure you both choose between the North American or European megaserver.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post