The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO Arrives on Steam"

• halo2021
    halo2021
    Soul Shriven
    After pulling a stunt like this, one would think that Zenimax was a branch of EA...
  • Iduna1453
    Iduna1453
    Soul Shriven
    Personally I don't care about a vanity pet but it is an another example of amateurish behavior from this company. It does not take much intelligence to realise that this decision would anger a lot of people needlessly. I can not understand why paid professionals would make a decision that reeks of ignorance and incompetence and yet here we are.
  • Winnower
    Winnower
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iduna1453 wrote: »
    I can not understand why paid professionals would make a decision that reeks of ignorance and incompetence and yet here we are.

You don't pay much attention to the United States Congress, do you?
    VR14 Templar, VR14 DK, VR8 DK, VR7 NB, VR1 Sorcerer;
    All 3 Alliances;
    2 Pre-order Imperial Accounts, yes that means 16 characters on NA alone
  • Iduna1453
    Iduna1453
    Soul Shriven
    To be fair I am not an American so I don't know how incompetent your politicians are but I would hardly call some clown that gets preselection to run for congress (or Parliament in my countries case) professionals :)
  • Zeital
    Zeital
    Soul Shriven
    Well this totally sucks, I'm sure most people already knew how to add a non-steam game into steam before you posted up your words of wisdom here.

I played in the beta like most, I've stuck around for all the bugs come and go, long maint times - which are needed mind you, stuck around while all my other friends quit because we couldn't play together/group/quest etc etc and now can't convince them its better now than it was for them to sink money into again and again.

And now after having to put up with the stupid non-steam game overlay which I like to use a lot when its an intergrated game which is outlined rather well in another forum post (http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/120486/on-the-value-of-steam-keys/p1), I STILL wont get to use that because my game is a non-steam game in your eyes.

Change it, give us keys or you're probably gonna lose money from all the people who unsubscribe if this PR blunder doesn't get fixed.
    Edited by Zeital on July 18, 2014 12:21PM
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people are going to be complaining about this during the ESO future of the game discussion panel at QuakeCon.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Anastasia
    Anastasia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Winnower wrote: »
    I own 2 imperial editions with explorer packs with 6 month subscriptions. I bought the palomino horse within 2 days of you releasing it. I laud this game to many. So don't try to tell me I'm not one of your best customers.

Point #1) I'm not buying real life plushy items in order to get a digital item that I would have wanted. So the whole "buy a plush guar" to get a digital pet doesn't make me happy if the digital pet isn't available independently. I play ESO; I don't collect dust-gathering junk to have laying around my house.

You nearly immediately follow up this debacle of a marketing ploy with:

Point#2) Offering to sell the game on steam at a steep discount *and* those who do over the weekend get yet another digital pet that's not being offered to loyal customers to buy independently.

I'm not asking to be given a free anything, you'll notice. In both cases I'm perfectly willing to pay real-life money to get the digital item.

I have no interest in t-shirts, sketch-books, coffee mugs, Steam, or other platforms. Hear this.

You have a choice. Make the digital items you develop available to your loyal customers with money, or risk losing them.

In case you hadn't noticed, the demographic "loyal customers with money" is pretty much the definition of what a company wants to have around. "Fickle customers with no money" won't get you far.

I dunno Winnower, better hope the 'whole most wanted demographic/loyal customers with money thats expendable' doesn't get parked right alongside veteran MMO PvE players.

You know, the paying customers, many of whom supported TESO long before and through launch. The MMO players who believe in the efficacy and absolutely know the fun of grouping across a decent amount of content, that having incentives which would make Vet-level GROUPING provide great playtimes and assist players to be equipped and good to go upon arrival at endgame.

Yea, that group, the MMO veteran PvE players who now have zero relativity to TESO execs and staff as opposed to the provisions put in place for them from original game design and its vision of lower soloable content and group-centric/encouraged play in Vet zones. If that happens - you/I/we may find still MORE dis's in the way of nerfs in the future...no, no, don't take away our crabs pls...

Better be happy wit whatcha got there you. Don't make waves either or you will be called leet and exclusive btw. *Salute!
    Edited by Anastasia on July 18, 2014 12:30PM
  • Chrithu
    Chrithu
    ✭✭
    Please give me a way to transfer my game over to Steam! I really don't like not having Steam communities and chat available to me, and the "Add Non-Steam Game" option simply does not compare to actually having the game registered on a Steam account. Please respect your customers that have been here and supporting you for the very first few months of the release. That also includes giving Imperial and CE owners the dog! Why should us early adopters be punished for supporting your game earlier!?

This!!

It's beyond me why you didn't sell via Steam from the start? I would have pre-ordered there if I would have had the option to do so.

I would really appreciate it if you would over the option to transfer my game to steam.
  • eventHandler
    eventHandler
    ✭✭✭
    We're all getting the "Whiterun Wolfhound," right? I mean, that goes without saying that anyone with the Imperial Edition already should get the dog. Zeni wouldn't slap us that hard for supporting them from the start, right? I'd say even those people without Imperial edition who have been sub'd since the release should get the dog.

Honestly anyone with a) Imperial edition by the time the sale ends, or b) sub'd since release should get the dog (or maybe even anyone active at release and re-subs now before sale ends, even if they stopped sub in between).

That's just common sense. You never give an exclusive to new people and gut shoot your loyal customer base. So... time to scramble and fix that oversight?

Seriously, us not getting the dog would just be ***.

And yes, I have the Imperial edition; I just think it's not right to keep it from all the loyal day0 players when its an incentive pet to get new players.

As for steam codes, that's far less important. Hardly anyone would unsub from that compared to everyone who would have a fit over the dog. A steam code changes nothing about the game. Except for the dog. And we should get the dog either way, so a steam code is moot.

Seriously... I want my dog.
  • eventide03b14a_ESO
    eventide03b14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    I think the promotion on STEAM is a natural & awesome way to expand the player base of our ESO community. The "promotional giveaways" are a normal way for any company to do business.

I feel it's silly to complain about a vanity pet (although, that dog does looks awesome!) and will add to the variety of pets we see as players group/travel around Tamriel.

Eventually, it might be a fun idea to have all the different vanity pets available to everyone in the store.

I played beta, fell in love with this game and I'm having a real blast (I'm a sorcerer, lol) meeting cool people, making new friends and exploring all that Tamriel has to offer!

Thank you Zenimax for a great game. I have faith that ESO and our community will continue to grow and mature into a legendary gaming experience.

Cheers everyone!

Pollyanna you are missing the point. It's not just about the vanity pet it's about excluding the existing player base from even playing it on Steam. The vanity pet is only one aspect to that.
    :trollin:
  • tylerdavidsonb14_ESO
    I played in Beta and I bought the imperial edition and I have four pets. But I don't know which pets come from which thing...does that make sense? I have a monkey, the little dragon dude, and two mudcrabs. The crabs have specific names that escape me at the moment, but one is gray the other is rust colored.

My question is this - what pet did I get for being a part of Beta and what pet did I get for buying the imperial edition? And where did the other two pets come from?
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    So did I get this right? If you wait before backing a game, and then pay less money for it, you will get exclusives and advantages over those who backed it right away? I hope this is a joke, though even so it's not exactly a very funny one. Frankly, it's insulting.
  • Ithiliriana
    Ithiliriana
    Soul Shriven
    You'll have gotten the Mudcrab from the Imperial edition. The "Dragon thing" i.e Scuttler from the Explorer's back therein included. The monkey is for playing the beta's.

Your second mudcrab might be a store exclusive?
  • Randomtask
    Randomtask
    Soul Shriven
    What about all of us Collectors Edition buyers?

We have nothing to show in game. Gee thanks
  • Dux042
    Dux042
    ✭✭
    I have to agree with the other posters here that all of us that bought the Imperial Edition/Collectors Edition should receive the wolf pet for free.

I also think that a Steam transfer should be available to all current players.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Love the game. :)
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    That wolfhound pet had better be distributed to existing players. Many of us contributed our time and energy to the beta process to (theoretically) make the game better at launch, paid full price for the Imperial edition and have been paying a monthly subscription fee since.

For someone who just starts playing now to have access to such a cool vanity pet that the rest of us won't get is ridiculous.

This reminds me of how mobile service providers are willing to give new customers $600 phones for $1 but if you've been a customer for 10 years you have to pay full price for it. One of the most absurd business practices currently in use IMHO.
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • Elder_Jelly
    Elder_Jelly
    Soul Shriven
    Oh nice way to stick it to the early supporters of the game. I would have much rather had the dog as a companion instead of the 2 crabs and a monkey. Nice job showing us its always better to wait to buy a game
  • Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    Wait,are new buyers getting the Explorer pack too?The bonus that was supposed to be only for preorder.Are new buyers getting the awesome choose any race in any alliance bonus?I hope not.Im actually waiting for the game to mature to be one of the relatively few ppl to be able to play any race in any alliance.Can anyone clarify me on the explorer pack thing? are new buyers getting it too?

I didn't know the Explorer's Pack bonus was supposed to be pre-order only. Every single physical copy of ESO I've seen in the stores has it auto included with a cloth map. I figured that was how the base game came and the only things you got from the deluxe version was the imperial armor, the imperial race, a crab and a horse.
  • j.wakeub17_ESO
    j.wakeub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Here's an idea. How about ESO players can add their ESO game to steam and those who have the imperial edition and do so get the dog vanity pet.
  • RatsnevE
    RatsnevE
    ✭✭✭
    You're all so vain! Please, no more vanity pets. Time for something that will take a bite out of any enemy--a companion for the solo player you feed apples to and is always by your side unless you join a group of four or more.
    Edited by RatsnevE on July 18, 2014 4:19PM
  • kirnmalidus
    kirnmalidus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's an idea. How about ESO players can add their ESO game to steam and those who have the imperial edition and do so get the dog vanity pet.

I don't think that will work based on what I've seen. I actually submitted a support request on the website asking for the wolfhound and received this response, which implies that even if you try to acquire the game through Steam and link to your existing account you won't get the vanity pet:
    Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.

We do see that people are upset about the wolfhound pet only being available to people buying the game on Steam. As much as we would love to hand out the wolfhound pet to our loyal players who have been playing before then. We do not yet have the tools to give out the wolfhound pet for players that obtained the game before Steam.

For now it's exclusive content for Steam to promote buying it through Steam. Personally, I play the game and use Steam. We can't get the pet either. But I wouldn't doubt that in the future it will be available to the players like us.

We apologize for the issue, and have noted this for future reference. Reply back to this message if you have any other questions. Your feedback is important on changing issues such as these.

Thank you for your continued interest and support!
    Life of a Nightblade (Screenshot Tumblr)

Attention Zenimax: Stamina builds don't hold up to magicka builds, and this is causing most of your class imbalance. It makes melee weapons and bows weaker than staves and class abilities. It makes medium and heavy armor less desirable than light armor. Fix this imbalance, and you'll address most of your balance issues.

- @ruze84b14_ESO
  • MissTreated
    MissTreated
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously can not believe this, I played beta, I paid $130 aus for the limited imperial edition and early access, I played through your bad graphics where I would fall though ***, get stuck in walls, rocks and cliffs, I played through the broken quests the bugged NPC's and the multitude of bots and multi-botters, I have stuck with this game even through the non responsive ticket submits and still i am loyal, yet we don't get a pet cause we are already sub ....yes ok its just a pet but come on Zenimax you have a nice way of showing your loyal players that we deserve .... NOTHING

bad bad player reward system ... feeling really disappointed.
  • Mysticman
    Mysticman
    ✭✭✭
    What a bunch of whining cry babies. This game was getting discounted even before launch I bought the Standard Edition with early access for $40, if you paid full price that was your stupidity, and please tell me your not whining about a stupid vanity pet :o why don't you people grow a pair.
  • Arkthor
    Arkthor
    Soul Shriven
    WTT 4 pets for the dog pet, or a cat...
  • evisneffo
    evisneffo
    ✭✭
    Really not impressed by this. I've loved and championed this game from the beginning, and I absolutely understand the need to create incentives for new players. But to do it in a way that actively punishes those who were willing to support the game early on, some even before playing it? I would of course expect a big business to operate by the dollar, but rubbishing customer loyalty -- particularly in a genre that thrives on customer loyalty -- does not even make good business sense.

Note that it isn't about what the item is. It doesn't matter whether I would prefer a dog to a mudcrab or a mudcrab to a dog. (I would have neither, in fact, seeing as I don't own the IE.) It is about the principle. Arbitrarily altering a product which people have already bought, purely for financial gain, giving them no way to obtain the updated product so that they are left at a disadvantage. They will feel that their early and loyal support was a mistake.

I'm not the type to throw a hissy fit and storm out, but this has left me with a lot of distaste at the thought of playing again.
  • Mopar63
    Mopar63
    ✭✭✭
    The giving of a STEAM code should be a no brainer. The pet lose is not cool but I can live with it. however the ability to consolidate all my games under a single platform is awesome and hence why I use STEAM for a lot of my games.

If STEAM is not allowing you to give the codes then tell us so we can all be mad at the right group. However it makes NO SENSE for them to not give free codes to existing accounts since this ups their customer activity base and helps their numbers.
    True honor need not be named
  • Twiztedmike
    Twiztedmike
    Soul Shriven
    Agreed with everyone in this thread. Thanks for saving me a lot of typing :p
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Mike Rascal | VR11 Dragonknight
    Mike Madness | LV17 Templar

• Hrafnarsen
    Hrafnarsen
    Soul Shriven
    Same here. I have been actively playing since February (betas!), I own the Imperial Edition, I bought the Palomino Horse immediately once it became available.
    I enjoy the game and I keep recommending it to my friends.
    I am a mature player, happy with the subscription fee (as it limits the access to the game for some, errr, less-mature players) and equally happy to pay real-money for any additional content.
    The release of the wolfhound pet (by and large the coolest vanity pet in the game) to a limited base of new subscribers is a slap in my face.
    It is not enough to change dramatically my opinion about the game, although, the knowledge that an interesting feature has been denied to me, probably will affect the overall level of my satisfaction.
    Still far from the point of cancelling my subscription, but with more such nonsense from ZO I may eventually give up.
    Edited by Hrafnarsen on July 18, 2014 5:22PM
  • Twiztedmike
    Twiztedmike
    Soul Shriven
    At least Cyrodiil will be funny again with all the stealthed noobs crouching around with their new dogs...

And boy would we love to kill them!
    Edited by Twiztedmike on July 18, 2014 5:22PM
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Mike Rascal | VR11 Dragonknight
    Mike Madness | LV17 Templar

• KriHavok
    KriHavok
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saw this and found it hilarious!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9RCB1-aic
    UESP Staffer & Wiki Editor