Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please ZOS, just let me start my dungeon quest and finish it

AngryOldMan
AngryOldMan
✭✭✭✭
I have spent way to many hours in dungeons with new characters. Why cant I just start my quest when entering a new dungeon? Why do I have to go trough Shakespears combined works in dialogue, or why do I have to listen to an hour long monologue before the questgivergives the quest? Why do I have to wait for some NPC to recite Encyclopedia Britannia before I can progress a simple dungeon quest?

Making a new character is a totall nightmare, you have to rely of the patiance of the rest of the group to pick up, progress and finish dungeon quest for skill point..
The first 19 tries with frustration is maybe fun, but now it is not fun anymore. Fix, especally Selenes Web and Vault of Madness. Base Dungeons

Other players rush like crazy through those dungeons, and my 29th character somehow have to rely on their patiance

I understand that this is somekind of story, but the story gets old fast when making new characters

Very easy fix: Enter dungeon, start quest, finish dungeon, get skill point. Everything between is just pure frustation
  • TheMajority
    TheMajority
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I don't want automatically started quests if I don't want to do a quest. I wait until I can do the dungeon alones. Auto start is bad for player who wants to take their time. its not broke so no fix.
    Time flies like an arrow- but fruit flies like a banana.

Sorry for my English, I do not always have a translation tool available. Thank you for your patience with our conversation and working towards our mutual understanding of the topic.
  • LuC1ll3atTh3Wh33L
    LuC1ll3atTh3Wh33L
    ✭✭✭
    rnd's are a joke. it only takes 1 person to ruin the rnd experience for 3 others. seems "the decider" isn't getting the math.
    i've been reading about this obstacle for a long long time and have yet to see any resolution. i fear the community doesn't have the heart to enforce fair game play.
    You've had nature explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the living body explained to you and you're bored with it, you've had the universe explained to you and you're bored with it, so now you want cheap thrills and, like, plenty of them....
    -Johnny
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. I don't want automatically started quests if I don't want to do a quest. I wait until I can do the dungeon alones. Auto start is bad for player who wants to take their time. its not broke so no fix.
    This, now I don't care about the dialog in the original dungeons as done them +10 times but some people are new.
    And I still refuse the share quest in newer dlc. Some times I did but dropped quest as they was stuck on later bosses.
    But then you have +20 unused skill points.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're on PC EU, I can join for any dungeon and let you read all NPC dialogue options for quest without rush :)

I always like when a dungeon is properly explored - all treasure chests and heavy sacks found, all containers looted, all mobs killed. Moonhunter Keep and Falkreath Hold are my nightmare, with all their urns and extra rooms which are almost always skipped by the group.

Vaults of Madness quest is the worst of all if the group is rushing ahead :/ Many years ago I forgot to talk to NPC after killing Grothdar, and the quest didn't update. I noticed it too late, after killing the last boss... :( I don't know how it's nowadays, because I only do it alone (with NPC companion) now. Harvester boss became awful for solo fight when Caltrops duration was reduced from 20 seconds to 10 seconds. But now with a companion, this boss almost permanently stuns a player character - the fight can last more than 5 minutes because of it :D My character levitates helplessly, my companion does his light attacks to the boss, and I just giggle and listen to music. My final reward is the Mad Architect and his beautiful glass shatter mechanic.

eruu3at.jpeg

Selene's Web is a little bit better - recently I did it on one of my newer characters, and the group was not waiting for me (even though I told about it from the very start). Two times the quest was stuck because of it, but it somehow updated after killing the next bosses! It's one of my least favorite dungeons, so if the quest didn't update, I would have left the dungeon :D

I think every dungeon needs exploration mode where a person can do their quest without rush, and where all group mechanics are disabled to enable solo completion. The dungeon quest also needs to be made repeatable (blue quest marker showing it as repeatable; additional completions without skill point and maybe without item set container), so that people can enjoy the lore again :)
  • Heren
    Heren
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, most people seems to don't care if you're lagging behind / doing quests ( or rather waiting for the dialogues ). I've recently done vault of madness on a lvling char with people rushing ahead ( but still killing mobs so, that was a good thing for me ), and I have no problems doing the quest ( although I do agree, these dialogues take forever ). I even did Blackheart haven with someone rushing ahead, died two or three times while trying to take the quest, but the rusher came back to check on me and the other guy, so once again no problem.

I understand the experience can be unpleasant, but I think the problem is mostly overexaggerated and I certainly wouldnt call that a total nightmare. Also you get potions of speed while lvling.

Wanting to take time to properly read the quests, on the other hand, is another problem.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want to see quests cut down to accomodate people who just want to rush through. Why make the experience even worse for people who do like the quests just because some other people don't?

I definitely wouldn't want the quest to start automatically because I want to save them for when I can actually play them properly, including sticking around for the dialogue (which I really don't think is that long) and getting to fight my way to the next section, not getting teleported ahead or running through empty corridors because someone else "helpfully" rushed ahead while I was doing it.

The first time I ever did a dungeon was with my old guild and they told me to pick the quest up but then didn't give me time to actually follow it, just made sure the NPC/marker was moving before running ahead. I didn't worry about it at the time but when I found out dungeon quests aren't repeatable I was annoyed that now that character can never do that quest properly. Since then I avoid starting the quest unless I'm sure I'm with a group that will let me actually follow it.

My solution (which I found by pure chance) was to join a guild called Story Mode which does exactly that - they do dungeons where you can actually follow the quest, including having time to read notes and letters, watch the NPCs play out scenes etc. before moving on.

You can get the same with other groups, but I think you need to either use the new Group Finder tool and clearly specify that's what you want (and make sure everyone understands before starting because people who don't bother reading anything won't read that either) or use guild/zone chat to find people and again tell them before starting you want to actually follow the quest.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heren wrote: »
    I don't know, most people seems to don't care if you're lagging behind / doing quests ( or rather waiting for the dialogues ). I've recently done vault of madness on a lvling char with people rushing ahead ( but still killing mobs so, that was a good thing for me ), and I have no problems doing the quest ( although I do agree, these dialogues take forever ). I even did Blackheart haven with someone rushing ahead, died two or three times while trying to take the quest, but the rusher came back to check on me and the other guy, so once again no problem.

I understand the experience can be unpleasant, but I think the problem is mostly overexaggerated and I certainly wouldnt call that a total nightmare. Also you get potions of speed while lvling.

Wanting to take time to properly read the quests, on the other hand, is another problem.

Wanting to take time is a problem. I don't often want to but once in a while it's fun to solo a dungeon just to be able to explore all the nooks and crannies etc. Can't do that in a group unless you make it yourself. Some of the dungeons require two or more people to complete sadly due to levers etc.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    My solution (which I found by pure chance) was to join a guild called Story Mode which does exactly that - they do dungeons where you can actually follow the quest, including having time to read notes and letters, watch the NPCs play out scenes etc. before moving on.

Is that guild still active and running story mode events? I've seen it in the guild finder.

• AngryOldMan
    AngryOldMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I allways do the quest on my main Character so I get the story, but redoing it again is painfull. Maybe after Achievement you could choose Non-story mode and get skill point
  • Bradyfjord
    Bradyfjord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's painful is that most of the voice acting treats the players like they are morons. I mostly skip dialogue because of that.
  • mdjessup4906
    mdjessup4906
    ✭✭✭
    Or decouple the skill point from the quest entirely. Get skillpoint on first complete, like you do for malestrom arena. Save quest for later when I'm not busy grinding for a build.
  • Anifaas
    Anifaas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Settings should have a toggle:

Auto-accept dungeon quest upon entering new dungeon: ON/OFF.