The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

New Q4 system will be some kind of ‘Endless Dungeon‘

• Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is: how did they came up with the idea for this system? I mean, have there been threads asking for this? Enough, to warrant developers even thinking about it and eventually leading to the development of it?

It just feels so random and out of the blue, basically like Arcanist does. Neither Arcanist nor the endless dungeon were things I saw players asking for.

New class? Sure. Arcanist? Basically never as there is no class like that in other ES games. New system / story mode / harder overland? Sure. Endless dungeon? Never.

I mean these new things feel absolutely tone deaf regarding player wishes.
    Edited by Seraphayel on 26 January 2023 18:33
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I can solo it with a companion I might possibly be interested in it, but it depends. Does the difficulty get harder and harder and the rewards greater and greater?

For me it's not just the journey it's the rewards that motivate me.
    Options
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    My question is: how did they came up with the idea for this system? I mean, have there been threads asking for this? Enough, to warrant developers even thinking about it and eventually leading to the development of it?

It just feels so random and out of the blue, basically like Arcanist does. Neither Arcanist nor the endless dungeon were things I saw players asking for.

New class? Sure. Arcanist? Basically never as there is no class like that in other ES games. New system / story mode / harder overland? Sure. Endless dungeon? Never.

It's possible that they are taking inspiration from their mobile slanted lines of games for new features with last years card game being inspired by https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Legends:Legends and this years endless dungeon being inspired by https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Blades:Abyss .
    Options
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

I mean, one could draw parallels between Matt Firor and Vivec so no surprises there.
    Options
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the impression their usual mindset with chapter features is "It's popular in other games, so we need this too".
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
    Options
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Natakiro wrote: »
    I really hope this can be solo'd, if desired. Yes, playing with a buddy would be great if it's a friend, but I would hate for it to become another RND thing. Even if "buddy" is limited to just a companion, that would be better than something so similar sounding to an existing system. If it isn't able to be taken solo, I will probably have little interest in it, in the long run. Sad that they're giving up a dungeon and area for that (despite complaining about RND, I actually love dungeons, probably my favorite non-overland content; I enjoy that I can do a lot of them SOLO.) And the reward system will have to be considered; something endless like that would need a reason to play it. But hey, at least it's guaranteed to interest me more than the card game, which I literally never play.

Either way, it is far too early to begin to tell what was even meant by "endless dungeon with a buddy", so I will reserve judgment and not have any expectations until more info is given.

If veteran 4 man dungeon hard modes can be soloed, I’m sure this can be. I wouldn’t worry about that.
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    I wondered when an MMO would do this.
    Other MMOs have done this before though? It's not at all a unique idea or feature.
    Syldras wrote: »
    I have the impression their usual mindset with chapter features is "It's popular in other games, so we need this too".
    And that's the funniest part; these features in the other MMOs that have them are not even popular.
    Edited by fizzylu on 27 January 2023 01:34
    Options
  • Kappachi
    Kappachi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excited for this, if it does well then ESO will finally be my 100% replacement for Phantasy Star Online 2 since that was one of my favorite things about PSO2 being infinitely random genned locations with bosses & encounters & what not.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    It reminds me of the mobile game (Blades). I wonder how much design inspiration they will from it.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Blades:Abyss

That's what I was thinking, too. Also old videogames such as Dandy or Dark Chambers.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »
    Aaaand my interest is gone. Cutting a dungeon and story DLC for an endless coop dungeon? Didn't they see how Torghast flopped for World of Warcraft?

On the other hand, the endless floor dungeon in FF14 was immensely popular and well received such that a further 2 iterations of it have been released.

I think an endless dungeon with floors that have relatively small maps (compared to ESO dungeons...) would be a good thing. Less running aimlessly around.

I didn't like those. For content that was pitched as being able to be run solo to groups of 4 I found them to be over tuned for folks who did not want to run with a group. I also didn't like the parallel leveling, progress and gear systems. If ESO is implementing something similar to that where the endless dungeons are a side game I will be skipping Necrom just as I did High Isle.

You do realize that the endless dungeon is not part of Necrom, but will be the 4th quarter new system, right?
    Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Vrienda wrote: »
    Aaaand my interest is gone. Cutting a dungeon and story DLC for an endless coop dungeon? Didn't they see how Torghast flopped for World of Warcraft?

On the other hand, the endless floor dungeon in FF14 was immensely popular and well received such that a further 2 iterations of it have been released.

I think an endless dungeon with floors that have relatively small maps (compared to ESO dungeons...) would be a good thing. Less running aimlessly around.

I didn't like those. For content that was pitched as being able to be run solo to groups of 4 I found them to be over tuned for folks who did not want to run with a group. I also didn't like the parallel leveling, progress and gear systems. If ESO is implementing something similar to that where the endless dungeons are a side game I will be skipping Necrom just as I did High Isle.

You do realize that the endless dungeon is not part of Necrom, but will be the 4th quarter new system, right?

Yes I realize when ZOS expects to deliver it. Historically new systems, skills, etc require the latest chapter to be able to access them and that would be Necrom. So far I haven't seen much to entice me to preorder Necrom and depending upon what this endless dungeon actually turns out to be I might skip buying it when goes on sale in the fall. In the end it could turn out to be another TOT which to me is not worth spending the money on. Adding in the way the game has gone in the past few years I'm not inclined to give ZOS the benefit of the doubt anymore.
    Options
  • Vulkunne
    Vulkunne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and the bois on our way to fight in an endless dungeon for 14 hours straight

Amen. What an awesome concept. I hope they do it right lol. Kind of reminds me of that movie "Labyrinth".

They could even do like a PvP map with this and I'll suite up my DK in Minotaur Heavy and sit there for hours and chase ppl around. It'll be great.
    Edited by Vulkunne on 27 January 2023 05:12
    Options
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think Battlemage or Elementalist were more expected. Myself do not care, whatever as long it does not suck.
    Google search for Endless Dungeon appears be all hype for some roguelike tactical action game so no much help. I played enough Nethack last millenium to not be partiulary thrilled of procedually genetated things. But there is Minecraft, it is all about implementation. Ready made rooms / levels / rounds in randomish arragnment might work. Ultimate Protogames in Wildstar was that type and the most fun dungeon I've done. (Also most frustrating to learn and some rounds were too cheesable to bother do properly.)
    Edited by rpa on 27 January 2023 05:50
    Options
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 dung even on normal is already too much most of the time
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
    Options
  • endgamesmug
    endgamesmug
    ✭✭✭✭
    The more time goes by and i read what people are saying about this concept of a dungeon, the more intrigued i have become. Cutting down and grinding through enemies wave after wave sounds amazing, dont need any reward over here the action would be all id need and well if they give great xp and drop scrap well now you're talking 😆
    Options
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It intrigued me for sure. But by the time that comes out Soulframe will be playable. And Soulframe is literally procedurally generated dungeons going into the earth and the overland being the hub world. And I'll be playing Soulframe for sure. I know ESO will not come close to it.
    Options
  • AlterBlika
    AlterBlika
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds cool, but I really wish there wouldn't be group mechs. Otherwise I'd prefer a DLC dungeon instead.
    Options
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jusey1 wrote: »
    So, Dungeoneer from RuneScape perhaps? I'm on board with that.

I hope so! That is a very good example of how these types of content can be done right.
    Options
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great more instanced pve 😢. Rather they improved overland to make the game feel more alive not do more to make it feel empty but making more instanced content.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
    Options
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    fizzylu wrote: »
    And that's the funniest part; these features in the other MMOs that have them are not even popular.
    They're very popular in FF14. Whereas WoW's version was mostly detested. So it will all come down to implementation.

Personally, it's the one thing from the announcements that I'm most interested in, but I could still go either way on it. If they can find a way to keep it feeling overly repetitive and samey, then great. And if it works well, then rolling out similar endless adventures to locations like the depths of Valenwood, or the sands of the Ailk'r and canyons of the Dak'fron in Hammerfell... yeah, I can probably get behind that.
    • The new class? Thanks, but I don't like edgy evil themes permeating everything my character does. Good news for necro fans though I guess? Nice alt character there.
    • Apocrypha? Great for the daedra fans! I'm not one of them though. I'm here for Tamriel. Still haven't started the Deadlands questline, and there's a good chance I never will.
    • The Telvanni Peninsula? This seems to be the first time they're copy/pasting existing assets rather than creating new region biomes. There's some amazing lore for unique environments in the Telvanni Peninsula (though bizarrely, they aren't including much of the Telvanni Peninsula in this release, and Necrom is Indoril lands, not Telvanni lands), but they're just making it look exactly like Vvardenfell's east coast :disappointed:

That asset reuse also raises concerns about the level of investment they're putting into ESO going forwards. Vvardenfell didn't reuse existing Morrowind assets. Summerset didn't reuse the Auridon assets. Greymoor didn't reuse the eastern Skyrim assets etc.

So while I'm genuinely happy for all the players who are excited about this Chapter, and I'm no stranger to waiting for a sale on the Chapters that don't excite me personally, this one has me a little concerned about what state ESO is in, and I get the feeling I'll be waiting until this time next year for the 2024 Chapter reveal before I can get a good idea about this game's future. 2024 is the 10 year anniversary for ESO, so if they aren't going big for next year, then it's clearly game over. And by the same token, if they are going big for next year, that might explain why they're relying on asset reuse so heavily this year, to give their artists more time working on next year's assets.
    Options
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Path of Exile has an endless dungeon where the deeper you go the greater the challenge and greater the rewards. It has to be something like that for me, and soloable.

Problem is what kinds of rewards would you get from an endless dungeon in ESO? It doesn't have nearly the same loot and gear system.
    Options
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    From what I've seen so far, this DLC looks half finished with not much thought put into it. Seeing how there seems to be little information available (unlike past announcements) it appears that the developers are fishing the forums for information on what to expand on. What exactly are is the player base expecting, etc. Hold off with this DLC purchase until all the information is available. U35 destroyed the game for me & so far from what I've seen, the lack of available details/information is not enough to bring me & my money back.
    For the Empire
    Options
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Path of Exile has an endless dungeon where the deeper you go the greater the challenge and greater the rewards. It has to be something like that for me, and soloable.

Problem is what kinds of rewards would you get from an endless dungeon in ESO? It doesn't have nearly the same loot and gear system.

If the dungeon is in apocrypha, I could see every furniture patterns and motifs being part of the loot table as apocrypha is supposed to contain basically most if not all writings/secrets. Mechanically, that would mean that while farming for specific crafts wouldn’t be the best in the dungeon, it would still be great loot to sell in guild traders and an alternative to doing the content associated with these crafts.

Realistically, though, I think that we can expect at least: motifs materials, a specific motifs, leads, 3 sets and some specific furnishings. Hopefully, it will be more because that much wouldn’t cut it for content that is meant to be repeated.
    Options
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »
    From what I've seen so far, this DLC looks half finished with not much thought put into it. Seeing how there seems to be little information available (unlike past announcements) it appears that the developers are fishing the forums for information on what to expand on. What exactly are is the player base expecting, etc. Hold off with this DLC purchase until all the information is available. U35 destroyed the game for me & so far from what I've seen, the lack of available details/information is not enough to bring me & my money back.

Q4 update, which is when this dungeon is coming, is almost never even close to ready this far in advance for details. This may be the earliest we have ever gotten details about the Q4 update.

And as far as Chapter updated information for Q2, this is pretty much on par with the same amount of information for the chapter we get in January every year.

And in a few hours, we will have a ton of info on the Q1 update, as well as the likely Monday PTS Notes.
    Options
  • alternatelder
    alternatelder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this ends up as some kind of co-op challenging content, like a mini trial/arena type thing, I will be pretty disappointed we lost a zone of content for something I doubt many people will even play.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this ends up as some kind of co-op challenging content, like a mini trial/arena type thing, I will be pretty disappointed we lost a zone of content for something I doubt many people will even play.

Yeah, players have been begging for years for shorter versions of Dragonstar Arena, Maelstrom Arena, etc. I can't remember a single time that anyone has asked for longer arenas. But that seems to be exactly what we are getting.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Historically new systems, skills, etc require the latest chapter to be able to access them and that would be Necrom.

2023 is different, though. As I understand it, the Q3 improvements and Q4 new system will be available to everyone, not part of a DLC or chapter. That's why some ESO Plus subscribers feel that their subscriptions are going to be losing value this year.
    Options
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    They're very popular in FF14. Whereas WoW's version was mostly detested. So it will all come down to implementation.

I don't know a single soul that does Palace of the Dead endgame. Most who use it do so for leveling and that's it.... so to me, yeah, it's not a "popular" feature. Not hated and disliked like WoW's Torghast, but not "loved" to the point of being a reason why people choose to play FFXIV or log in every day.
    Edited by fizzylu on 28 January 2023 00:14
    Options
  • Thorncrypt
    Thorncrypt
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will take inspiration from Palace of the Dead or Heaven on High from Final Fantasy 14. I know those aren't "endless" but they are meant to be run multiple different times as each playthrough feels different owing to the randomization of floors and mobs.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    ―Black Sacrament incantation

Options
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    Historically new systems, skills, etc require the latest chapter to be able to access them and that would be Necrom.

2023 is different, though. As I understand it, the Q3 improvements and Q4 new system will be available to everyone, not part of a DLC or chapter. That's why some ESO Plus subscribers feel that their subscriptions are going to be losing value this year.

I expected the Q3 stuff to be across the board since it is suppose to fix and improve existing game functions/code. If ZOS comes through on their promise I think, and believe most players will agree, it is worth the one time loss of a dungeon DCL.

If Q4 does turn out to be across the board that lessens my already low interest in buying Necrom and just doing what I am for High Isle. That is waiting for it to become a DLC and subscribe to ESO+ for a month to play through the content. As I said I will make my decision once ZOS decides to tell us what the infinite dungeon really is and who will be able to access it.

The way I interpreted the lessened value of ESO+ was more along the lines that ZOS always released a new zone DLC but this time around we are getting a dungeon instead. Depending upon one's perspective and what type of content they like no new zone could be a pretty big letdown.
    Options