The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

New Q4 system will be some kind of ‘Endless Dungeon‘

• Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea alot, but it doens't live up to the expectations of cutting an entire zone and a dungen DLC. I was expecting something a bit more...longterm?

I don't like the "with a buddy" comment either. I didn't hear companion and I just hope it's not a mandatory 2player group thing.

This is what I am dreading.
    I want challenging content that isn't some damn arena that I can do solo, you know, so I can actually use the classes, skills and create builds not just in theory but that can be used on content.
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, for it to work I think it needs to have these elements:
    -A procedural dungeon layout generation.
    -A procedural monster spawn generation.
    -A good variety of creatures and of groups of monsters.
    -modifiers for these creatures that are visually identifiable and change their stats/abilities/effects. For example: GIANT "x" would have a bigger model, more health and might get a knock down ability/effect.
    -A good variety of bosses and mix of dual/triple bosses
    -Modifiers for these bosses
    -An increase in difficulty during progression that is not only based on health and damage but also on the number of monster and of which/how many modifiers are present.
    -A score system that is separate for solo/duo/duo with companions.
    -A reward system that can scale with how far the players have gone indefinitely.
    -Loot that’s promoting coming back to the dungeon and going further. This means a large loot table with items that can be consumed through crafting or use or that can be sold. Every furnishing plans/motifs of the game being part of the loot table would make sense in an apocrypha setting for example.
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So glad it's NOT spell crafting.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How is this supposed to be fun?
  • React
    React
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a duo arena experience. It's a unique format we haven't seen before. I just hope that they make it reasonably difficult on vet/hardmode, and provide meaningful rewards. Weapon-ultimate altering weapons, normal and perfected, would be cool.
    @ReactSlower - PC/NA - 2000+ CP
    React Faster - XB/NA - 1500+ CP
    Content
    Twitch.tv/reactfaster
    Youtube.com/@ReactFaster
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »
    Aaaand my interest is gone. Cutting a dungeon and story DLC for an endless coop dungeon? Didn't they see how Torghast flopped for World of Warcraft?

On the other hand, the endless floor dungeon in FF14 was immensely popular and well received such that a further 2 iterations of it have been released.

I think an endless dungeon with floors that have relatively small maps (compared to ESO dungeons...) would be a good thing. Less running aimlessly around.

I didn't like those. For content that was pitched as being able to be run solo to groups of 4 I found them to be over tuned for folks who did not want to run with a group. I also didn't like the parallel leveling, progress and gear systems. If ESO is implementing something similar to that where the endless dungeons are a side game I will be skipping Necrom just as I did High Isle.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I may be in the minority but an endless two player dungeon sounds fun to me. As long as the rewards are good. Both item rewards and achievement rewards.

There are things I would rather have but at the very least it’s something new to the game.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm cautiously excited - don't want to put too many of my own expectations on so little detail but think this could be a lot of fun depending on how it's done.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm ok with an endless 2 player dungeon run but damn, the rewards better be great!!
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm ok with an endless 2 player dungeon run but damn, the rewards better be great!!

It would make sense if the rewards were also endless :)
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    React wrote: »
    I like the idea of a duo arena experience. It's a unique format we haven't seen before. I just hope that they make it reasonably difficult on vet/hardmode, and provide meaningful rewards. Weapon-ultimate altering weapons, normal and perfected, would be cool.

It would definitely go against their "raise the floor, lower the ceiling / close the skill gap" mantra. Giving 99th percentile weapons and armor to only the 99th percentile-skilled players would be devastating. The best PvPers would be undefeatable with gear only they can acquire, and trial groups will require only the elitest of the elite with the rarest gear.

I think the backlash would be enormous.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised there's no spellcrafting but an endless dungeon, even though I like doing ESO dungeons, is not my idea of fun :( oh well

I like dungeons that don't take more than an hour. An endless dungeon sounds like a nightmare tbh. Though maybe it's a metaphorical allusion to an instanced vet overland :) Hope springs eternal.
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was expecting something a bit more game-changing but I'll have to wait for more information. Whatever it is it probably won't have many good rewards though.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they were doing the full year long story this year, the Skyrim implementation of apocrypha, with the moving hallways, would make for a great style of never ending dungeon.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    If they were doing the full year long story this year, the Skyrim implementation of apocrypha, with the moving hallways, would make for a great style of never ending dungeon.

I imagine it would be exactly that: moving hallways and bridges and such. It would look fascinating, I'm sure. I still think it would bore me if I'm just running through endless corridors without really having an objective for hours.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It will become boring and dwindle just like the infamous card game.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly a feature I wanted, as I mentioned in other threads before the reveal. I hope it is implemented well, though. It could go boring and frustrating rather quickly as someone who hates killing for killings sake but loves mechanics.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do I this was more apocryphal?
  • pelle412
    pelle412
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think if the reward structure is appropriate, I will probably have a lot of fun with it.

I did play a lot of Torghast in WoW and the concept is very cool, but Blizzard didn't really have the greatest rewards for it so it ended up just becoming a task to do.
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭
    The endless dungeon is just another dungeon like any other dungeon. The endless part comes into play because you are required to defeat each mini-boss by playing Tales of Tribute with the standard four decks. You are required to defeat the end boss by playing Tales of Tribute with all of the decks available.
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vrienda wrote: »
    Aaaand my interest is gone. Cutting a dungeon and story DLC for an endless coop dungeon? Didn't they see how Torghast flopped for World of Warcraft?

I was just discussing this with a friend. Torghast was disliked by the majority so it's very odd to see another game undertake such a similar feature so soon after.... it's like nobody at Zenimax did their research haha
    Also my main thoughts; this does nothing for the world of the game. I'd like to see more openworld content, not instanced content.
    Edited by fizzylu on 26 January 2023 03:25
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    infinite dungeon over infinite "brand new card game" any day
    Edited by Dr_Con on 26 January 2023 03:41
  • Sheridan
    Sheridan
    ✭✭✭✭
    And I hoped for the Sory Mode... :(
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, Dungeoneer from RuneScape perhaps? I'm on board with that.
  • Cireous
    Cireous
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can only imagine playing this if they're are a lot of housing-related rewards. :|

I wonder how they're going to make it interesting to people.

Also, where's the tent pole?

*Looks all around this reveal, see's no tent poles, or anything tent-pole like*
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I’m less than thrilled, I hated Torghast with a passion. And I think this game needed something completely different to stand the test of time.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    Title.

Rich talked briefly about the upcoming Q4 system, although they can’t give us more information yet he said it will be something like an infinite dungeon you can run with a buddy (we don’t know if this means companions or real player friends as of now).

I like it as it seems a bit original for the game.

Love it or hate it, at least everyone can try it. Where as new class is literally nothing for the people who doesn't use alt.
    Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC there was an endless dungeon mode in Elder Scrolls: Blades, I'm guessing this is similar to that. Basically the game will generate "floors" where you fight X number of enemies, then progress to the next "floor" and so on.

Each floor gets progressively more difficult and at some point it becomes impossible to do unless you are a pro player. I'm thinking they are going to introduce some new rewards, achievements and highscore leaderboards to go along with that.
  • Dayhjawk
    Dayhjawk
    ✭✭✭
    I do not want a 2 player dungeons/arena. I rather it be scaleable for 1 - 4 ppl. the more ppl you bring the harder it is. Want to solo, you can do it, want to do it with a buddy, go ahead! Want to form a group and do it... you can!
  • MrSpaM
    MrSpaM
    ✭✭
    If the reward for finishing the dungeon is just normal items and a set to unlock people will play it for a week and never touch it again

There needs to be some genuinely good rewards for playing it otherwise I just don't see the point in not just having a normal dungeon instead