Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please remove the writs requiring chitin

lurkin777
lurkin777
✭✭✭
I get them more than any other kind or writ for alchemy and the are rare for me and I get them way to often.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean Alchemy writs requiring Mudcrab Chitin?

I realize that bots usually infest the beach outside of Haven, Grahtwood. But still, chitin drops from mudcrabs. If you need more, just go hunt some mudcrabs.

Alternatively, you can check your writs for alternate materials. Mudcrab Chitin can't always be replaced, but it's worth checking if you are having issues with sourcing your supplies. https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Online:A_Masterful_Concoction
  • lurkin777
    lurkin777
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to hunt mudcrabs. I get that writ more than any other writ and it is a pain. My main character has gotten it the last two days that I have done writs. It is not a common item and I just delete the writ but is sucks.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the writ isn't worth your time, don't do that writ. If the items required are exceptionally valuable, consider selling the items instead of doing that writ.

Mudcrab Chitin have basically one purpose and that's to do writs. I'm not aware of any commonly used item that requires them.

Perhaps there is an addon that will auto abandon certain daily writs when they come up so players don't throw away valuable or rare materials. If you're doing writs on one toon per day, the requirement for chitin won't be much of an issue. If you do 18+ toons a day, you will eventually find yourself needing to buy more just to keep up and it's expensive in bulk.

Also, for clarification and accuracy, the writ requiring 3 mudcrab chitin is one of 8 potential daily writs you will be given at max tier and is on a rotation. You will receive this writ every 8 days on each toon you have. It does not come up more than any other and certainly will not come up 2 days in a row unless you skipped 7 days in between picking up writs. If you do any tier other than max tier, mudcrab chitin is never required so you can lower your tier and do those writs if that helps, though you may find yourself short on other materials instead such as nirnroot or cornflower, depending on the tier.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alchemist_Writ
    Edited by redspecter23 on 5 December 2021 19:01
  • lurkin777
    lurkin777
    ✭✭✭
    I got the writ two days in a row on one character so the rotation is not working.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I misunderstood and you are talking about the regular Alchemy writ that requires Essence of Stamina and Mudcrab Chitin.

That's one of eight Max Tier writs on a rotation. If you are doing your writs every day, Have you been tracking what writs you are getting so you can show ZOS there's a problem with your rotation? If you aren't keeping track of the data, I'd start now.

This site has a list of the tasks you should be seeing: https://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-alchemist-writs/
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can precraft a batch of them to not have to worry about it in between.

PC NA
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do top tier alchemy writs on 6 characters, and the supply of mudcrab chitin does slowly dwindle if you don't actively farm for it.

Some of us have requested, on more than one occasion, that it be added to the loot table for the reward containers. You can get other critter reagents this way, such as butterfly wing and spider eggs, but chitin for some reason is not included.
  • Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭
    lurkin777 wrote: »
    I get them more than any other kind or writ for alchemy and the are rare for me and I get them way to often.

+1

Same as OP, having mudcrab chitin to farm or buy, during my writs, is not desirable to me.

Either NUKE the requirement (change the requirement),
    or add ways to collect the chitin either in the reward containers or through a new alchemy hireling skill (maybie).

In the meantime I can do with it, but I think it's just clunky as it (imo). Or let's abandon this writ when it comes? Sure?

Sole profession that has this problem. Intended? Healthy? Good? If it's healthy, well let's keep that as it, but is it?
  • AstroST
    AstroST
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here we are again asking for all things to be served on a silver platter.
    You can just find chitin on guild stores or just take some time circling one of the little island and kill them or just don't do this writ.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

+1

Same as OP, having mudcrab chitin to farm or buy, during my writs, is not desirable to me.

or add ways to collect the chitin either in the reward containers or through a new alchemy hireling skill (maybie).

In the meantime I can do with it, but I think it's just clunky as it (imo). Or let's abandon this writ when it comes? Sure?

Sole profession that has this problem. Intended? Healthy? Good? If it's healthy, well let's keep that as it, but is it?

Sole profession?

Unless you actually farm from all your crafting maps, you need to get new mats for almost any writ kind eventually.

Even if you do, are they really enough, especially above the lowest tier? I'm particularly suspicious of the Oko requirement in Enchanting.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The purpose of writs, which were not a thing when game first came out, was to slowly but surely drain players of their materials, so they would have to go back out into the game world and farm them. Or buy them from guild traders (also not a thing when game came out).

If you need to farm more or buy more from other players, seems like it is working as intended, not broken.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I made a thread about this, how mudcrab chitin is the only item not given in reward boxes.

I got some supportive comments, but eventually asked the thread to be closed because I could never get an official response.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭

+1

Sole profession?

Unless you actually farm from all your crafting maps, you need to get new mats for almost any writ kind eventually.

Even if you do, are they really enough, especially above the lowest tier? I'm particularly suspicious of the Oko requirement in Enchanting.
    I have 20 writ chartacters. I have them all since recently, but so far only the lack of chitin is causing me problems (I farm the crafting nodes that are given to me.). That's why I asked constructively if it is intented, or if we could get a discussion.
    I made a thread about this, how mudcrab chitin is the only item not given in reward boxes.

I got some supportive comments, but eventually asked the thread to be closed because I could never get an official response.
    Hi, cheers! Yes only item you need to stop your writs to buy/of farm.^^ If we don't get a ZOS response, maybie it is intented eventually. Still, I am curious if it is intended, to know the reason.

Or maybie it is just a left over, a mistake, and it takes ressources to fix it. In which my response would be: ZoS, please fix, thank you :)

• Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    The purpose of writs, which were not a thing when game first came out, was to slowly but surely drain players of their materials, so they would have to go back out into the game world and farm them. Or buy them from guild traders (also not a thing when game came out).

If you need to farm more or buy more from other players, seems like it is working as intended, not broken.
    I did miss this response.
    Well ZOS provide hireling skills and rewardboxes and crafting nodes. I get everyting I need, these ways. Chitin is the exception. A left over?

• WySoSirius
    WySoSirius
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with OP , I have found the frequency of the particular writ had increased and farming mudcrabs the chitin drops have decreased, it is a horrible task for a simple daily
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, how I hate having to kill those poor mudcrabs! I really really hate it!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

+1

Sole profession?

I have 20 writ chartacters. I have them all since recently, but so far only the lack of chitin is causing me problems (I farm the crafting nodes that are given to me.). That's why I asked constructively if it is intented, or if we could get a discussion.

Hi, cheers! Yes only item you need to stop your writs to buy/of farm.^^ If we don't get a ZOS response, maybie it is intented eventually. Still, I am curious if it is intended, to know the reason.

Or maybie it is just a left over, a mistake, and it takes ressources to fix it. In which my response would be: ZoS, please fix, thank you :)

I only get 700 gold from doing that writ I think, not worth the cost of farming or buying the mat. I just abandon all of them.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

+1

Sole profession?

Oko at least drops from surveys, and the green glyphs that come from enchanting writs can include absorb health glyphs which can also yield oko (granted a much smaller source than surveys). If you do enchanting daily writs at levels other than 1,4,7,and 10, those levels have lower oko consumption rates.
    Mudcrab chitin does not come from surveys or the daily material return from alchemy writs. It also doesn't drop in the tel var alchemy satchels. So yes, it is intrinsically different. The only things I can do to manage my consumption is to not do writs at the top level, or to not do this particular writ. I've chosen the latter, so that my characters can all make their own potions. Enchantments otoh I need to make with a much lower frequency, so I'm willing to run characters at levels below the top.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WySoSirius wrote: »
    Agree with OP , I have found the frequency of the particular writ had increased and farming mudcrabs the chitin drops have decreased, it is a horrible task for a simple daily

There has been no change in frequency of this writ showing up. They are still on the same 8-day cycle they have always been on.

Nothing has changed. It's a set repeating pattern.

Edit: I am talking about max level... but I highly doubt any of them have changed, since they've been the same for like 8 years now.
    Edited by tmbrinks on 7 September 2023 22:17
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

There has been no change in frequency of this writ showing up. They are still on the same 8-day cycle they have always been on.

Edit: I am talking about max level... but I highly doubt any of them have changed, since they've been the same for like 8 years now.

What has changed, at least for me, is the availability and cost of chitin at traders. I recognize that I was likely benefiting from people botting crabs for leather, but as it is I can't justify doing this writ anymore.
    Edited by kringled_1 on 8 September 2023 11:47
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    tmbrinks wrote: »

What has changed, at least for me, is the availability and cost of chitin at traders. I recognize that I was likely benefiting from people bottling crabs for leather, but as it is I can't justify doing this writ anymore.

I do not disagree with that. The ever-present sorcerer pet bot accounts that were killing them, once they got banned, has greatly reduced the supply. Other players do not want to spend time killing mudcrabs to maintain stock. Eventually prices will hit a value that more people will farm. When that will be will be anybody's guess.

I take umbrage when verifiably false information is posted, and is allowed to stay posted. It only contributes to future confusion from other players who might be looking at it. It's a conspiracy theory/misinformation post, which I thought were not allowed here on these forums, but looks like I'm wrong since it's still posted.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not drop own to proficiency level 7, which doesn't require mudcrab chitin for it's writ group?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aislinna wrote: »
    Why not drop own to proficiency level 7, which doesn't require mudcrab chitin for it's writ group?

Because you get better rewards for max tier daily writs.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Aislinna
    Aislinna
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People are saying they are abandoning those writs, which is zero rewards. But choices, I guess.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

People are saying they are abandoning those writs, which is zero rewards. But choices, I guess.

Losing one day out of 8 at max level isn't that much of a loss. Generally you get better rewards for max tier, although I'm not sure that's true for alchemy.
    Personally, I don't drop to 7 because I want all my characters to be able to make their own potions. Potions get consumed much faster than foods (2 hours is 1-2 foods, but can easily be 30-50 potions). I don't want to have to swap between characters in the middle of things to go make potions.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes didn't have mudcrab chitin when that writ was the daily. So now whenever I see a mudcrab, I kill it. They're all over the place. Just go to any water in most zones. You'll quickly build up a nice supply.

(While I loathe bots and wish ZOS would do something about them, they're not taking all the chitin. I kill mudcrabs almost daily, just running around doing endeavors.)
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not a great help but
    kringled_1 wrote: »

Losing one day out of 8 at max level isn't that much of a loss. Generally you get better rewards for max tier, although I'm not sure that's true for alchemy.
    Personally, I don't drop to 7 because I want all my characters to be able to make their own potions. Potions get consumed much faster than foods (2 hours is 1-2 foods, but can easily be 30-50 potions). I don't want to have to swap between characters in the middle of things to go make potions.

Presumably you know what potions you use most? I make stacks and store them in the bank, I only have two top tier alchemists the rest I leave at lvl 1.

At that lvl the writ potions are sip of..... stamina, magicka, health and ravage stamina I always make these in bulk and leave in the bank, never automated, so I can pick which reagents I use.

As for rewards I have 2 max and 6 lvl 1 that I do crafting dailies everyday, maybe the max lvl get more master writs and a bit more gold but no so much that a I've noticed. I stash the writs in the bank and all I know is that every time there is a double xp event I have plenty to sell!

I've actually never noticed a problem with chitin, I don't actively farm mudcrabs but usually kill them if I see them, especially since prices are so high, I sell some every so often too. I have noticed it frequently drops in the reward containers for ToT npc dailies though! 🙂

Edit:- Surveys seem to drop from all characters whatever level.
    Edited by freespirit on 8 September 2023 13:37
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So all these workarounds you guys have do not justify the fact that mudcrab chitin is the ONLY alchemy reagent that is not returned in the rewards container.

All other discussion is just a diversion.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Al_Ex_Andre
    Al_Ex_Andre
    ✭✭
    I only get 700 gold from doing that writ I think, not worth the cost of farming or buying the mat. I just abandon all of them.
    I don't do the chitin writ now too, I agree with your post, not worth it.^^
    I watched my stock also these late days, I might also have lacks of Violet Coprinus or Nightshades in some time, asked for the alchemy writs too.

Maybie alchemy needs an overhaul. ZOS did a survey about professions a while back and I answered: "perfect!". I wish they gave me another survey now. There's no ZOS answer here, they think it's fine.

So not doing a certain writ(s) is acceptable? Good design that? Whatever, I can adapt. Cheers, I am out. Take care.

• peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like there is always going to be one writ statistically where the reagent is rarer/ more expensive. For a long time, for me, it was nirnroot, and I skipped them because I just didn't have time to go get some. In fact, iirc, the amount needed for writs was actually changed or it was addressed in some way (I could be wrong though, it's a vague memory). It wasn't something I asked for personally as I knew I could go out and gather if I had the time.
    So all these workarounds you guys have do not justify the fact that mudcrab chitin is the ONLY alchemy reagent that is not returned in the rewards container.

All other discussion is just a diversion.

I'm not sure that it's supposed to be guaranteed that the writ rewards allow us to do new writs without having to go to out into the world, once you get into the habit, but I would agree that just from a consistency perspective there's no reason not to have them in the reward boxes, at least once in a while.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.