The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Please remove the writs requiring chitin

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    peacenote wrote: »
    I feel like there is always going to be one writ statistically where the reagent is rarer/ more expensive. For a long time, for me, it was nirnroot, and I skipped them because I just didn't have time to go get some. In fact, iirc, the amount needed for writs was actually changed or it was addressed in some way (I could be wrong though, it's a vague memory). It wasn't something I asked for personally as I knew I could go out and gather if I had the time.
    So all these workarounds you guys have do not justify the fact that mudcrab chitin is the ONLY alchemy reagent that is not returned in the rewards container.

All other discussion is just a diversion.

I'm not sure that it's supposed to be guaranteed that the writ rewards allow us to do new writs without having to go to out into the world, once you get into the habit, but I would agree that just from a consistency perspective there's no reason not to have them in the reward boxes, at least once in a while.

Writs were designed to be a material sink in the game.

Then people complained about the possibility that they might have to farm something in the game, so almost everything was changed. Writs dropped more rewards of basic mats, they re-did alchemy to drastically reduce nirnroot at max level. Now we have three materials that are basically not self-sufficient doing writs (Mudcrab Chitin, Violet Coprinus, and Oko)... and we still have the complaints. (I'd argue the Coprinus is actually worse, since you can't farm just it... you have to do all fungi at the same time, whereas you can target farm Chitin)

I genuinely believe that some people won't be happy until writs are an instant pick up quest and turn in with nothing to do, with a guaranteed master writ, a gold improvement material, AND a survey, each and every time.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    I feel like there is always going to be one writ statistically where the reagent is rarer/ more expensive. For a long time, for me, it was nirnroot, and I skipped them because I just didn't have time to go get some. In fact, iirc, the amount needed for writs was actually changed or it was addressed in some way (I could be wrong though, it's a vague memory). It wasn't something I asked for personally as I knew I could go out and gather if I had the time.
    So all these workarounds you guys have do not justify the fact that mudcrab chitin is the ONLY alchemy reagent that is not returned in the rewards container.

I'm not sure that it's supposed to be guaranteed that the writ rewards allow us to do new writs without having to go to out into the world, once you get into the habit, but I would agree that just from a consistency perspective there's no reason not to have them in the reward boxes, at least once in a while.

Then people complained about the possibility that they might have to farm something in the game, so almost everything was changed. Writs dropped more rewards of basic mats, they re-did alchemy to drastically reduce nirnroot at max level. Now we have three materials that are basically not self-sufficient doing writs (Mudcrab Chitin, Violet Coprinus, and Oko)... and we still have the complaints. (I'd argue the Coprinus is actually worse, since you can't farm just it... you have to do all fungi at the same time, whereas you can target farm Chitin)

I genuinely believe that some people won't be happy until writs are an instant pick up quest and turn in with nothing to do, with a guaranteed master writ, a gold improvement material, AND a survey, each and every time.

No, that is not what I was asking for at all. The mudcrab chitin is an outlier in that you get 0 rewards for it.

EDIT: from the rewards box, that is
    Edited by katanagirl1 on 9 September 2023 19:37
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, that is not what I was asking for at all. The mudcrab chitin is an outlier in that you get 0 rewards for it.

Hence my point of being able to target farm chitin. Which makes it an outlier in that regard compared to most other alchemy materials, which are in "groups" so you have to farm the whole group and not just one of them. But of course, let's not consider that... thus my final point from before.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Hence my point of being able to target farm chitin. Which makes it an outlier in that regard compared to most other alchemy materials, which are in "groups" so you have to farm the whole group and not just one of them. But of course, let's not consider that... thus my final point from before.

I don’t have to farm other alchemy mats at all. I either get enough as rewards from the daily reward boxes or the rewards from Cyrodiil.

EDIT: lol autocorrect nonsense
    Edited by katanagirl1 on 10 September 2023 04:35
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have to farm other alchemy mats at all. I either get enough as rewards from the daily reward boxes or the rewards from Cyrodiil.

and now we're back to my original statement.

daily writs were designed to be a materials sink. There are now only arguably 3 materials that are not fully replaced.

They are a conversion system from (generally) lower value, farmable, materials, and getting high-end improvement materials.

Now we just want an infinite system that requires no external effort to have the materials, and reap the rewards. Even after they already changed it so that most work that way.

P.S. I have done a lot of writs (284,252 since Dolgubon's addon started tracking the rewards), and yes, removing chitin, coprinus, and oko (or returning more of them) would make my writs easier and cheaper. My point is that they don't need to be. Even factoring in those materials, it is still the best return on gold/time in the game (short of selling carries).

I'm sorry, I just have a tough time fathoming turning something that is already the best (and frankly overpowered) into something even better.

The one thing I have suggested (years ago) was to edit the survey pool so that there were 3 types of alchemy surveys. Yes, this would lower the amounts of many other materials you got... but there'd be flower/fungi/animal alchemy surveys, so that you get some of everything, instead of just flowers. (This was 3 1/2 years ago, so it'd have to be updated)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/515544/suggestion-alchemy-surveys
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

and now we're back to my original statement.

daily writs were designed to be a materials sink. There are now only arguably 3 materials that are not fully replaced.

They are a conversion system from (generally) lower value, farmable, materials, and getting high-end improvement materials.

Now we just want an infinite system that requires no external effort to have the materials, and reap the rewards. Even after they already changed it so that most work that way.

P.S. I have done a lot of writs (284,252 since Dolgubon's addon started tracking the rewards), and yes, removing chitin, coprinus, and oko (or returning more of them) would make my writs easier and cheaper. My point is that they don't need to be. Even factoring in those materials, it is still the best return on gold/time in the game (short of selling carries).

I'm sorry, I just have a tough time fathoming turning something that is already the best (and frankly overpowered) into something even better.

The one thing I have suggested (years ago) was to edit the survey pool so that there were 3 types of alchemy surveys. Yes, this would lower the amounts of many other materials you got... but there'd be flower/fungi/animal alchemy surveys, so that you get some of everything, instead of just flowers. (This was 3 1/2 years ago, so it'd have to be updated)

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/515544/suggestion-alchemy-surveys

One thing I didn’t mention is that until recently, I did not use alchemy at all for my gameplay - like potions and poisons. I’ve never been a fan of chasing the meta, but now I am running trials and getting serious with my PvP build. So you and others might have had to farm for alchemy mats because of that but except for this one mat, I have been able to keep my supplies relatively stable with both rewards boxes and surveys..

If you are using alchemy mats for other things then it is definitely not required that the rewards make up for that..
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind farming mats but there should really be another source for Mudcrab Chitin if they can't do anything about the bots. I've been struggling to find any way to farm the amounts required for all my 20 crafters even with hours spent farming. It's just too hard to compete with hoards of bots everywhere there's decent amounts of Mudcrabs. Instead I'm stending hours just picking up a handful and not even breaking even on what I need for dailies
    PS4 EU