Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Motif / Materials Drop Rate Decrease

• InvictoNZ
    InvictoNZ
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people with 1million gold not have the max number of bag slots?
  • steven_shidiwenb16_ESO
    InvictoNZ wrote: »
    Why do people with 1million gold not have the max number of bag slots?

Because i don't need any more bag spaces. I amen't a crafter so i don't pick up crafting materials. Therefor i don't need space.

I just pay crafters to make my Sh*t for me.

• Mackeh
    Mackeh
    ✭✭
    I have about 6 of the low level motifs, and not seen a single book drop since level 30 .. I'm veteran 10. Something seems a bit weird tbh .. I loot everything ..
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Malediktus‌ Motifs and Recipes can and do drop on mobs. However, it is incredibly rare. I have only had it happen twice compared to the dozens upon dozens I have found in furniture.

@steven_shidiwenb16_ESO‌
    Its because of all of you people running around with your auto loot that the zones become completely empty. You are nerfing yourselves. Which i why i stay in the isolated zones. where barely any players are.

You do know that loot is instanced to the player right?

All loot, not just mob loot. So all of that furniture in cities that you're avoiding because other people are looting...yeah that would have drops for you even if someone else looted it. The only non-instanced loot sources in the game are: Treasure Chests, Heavy Sacks, and Resource Nodes. That's it. If it's not coming from one of those three sources then no one can steal your loot.
    Edited by nudel on 1 May 2014 00:05
  • LimeFox
    LimeFox
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I do hate about decreasing the drop rate is it's helping the gold sellers. A lot of them have sent me spam about buying the rare motifs. People are apparently crazy enough to buy Daedric motifs for $35 USD.

What do you want to bet that price goes up now? :/
  • nudel
    nudel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don't get all this excitement over a slight decrease in Motif/ Recipe drops which has not even been added yet. It is a needed change. There is nothing rare about something that I can find 3 of within minutes of each other without even trying. I'm not talking login/logout farming. I just don't have the patience to do something that tedious. I'm talking simply looting the containers in the places I happen to explore. Motif prices are around 300 if that. Blue recipes have fallen to 200 or 150 if that. That's not the price of something rare. That's the price of something unbelievably common. For comparison's sake, a single stack of 100 Jute sells for more than a Racial Motif or a Blue Provisioning Recipe. That's ridiculous. They should be rare. Right now they simply aren't.
    Edited by nudel on 1 May 2014 00:12
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malediktus wrote: »
    Their definition of "slight" is going to be on par with their definition of "Soon™"
    It didn't need to be changed, they just need to stop people from reloading constantly because all this is going to do is hurt the players that have yet to find one.

Now if the rarer motifs actually dropped outside of veteran content, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal but since the only place to get them is in the veteran zones, this is a terrible kneejerk reaction.

So it's ok to make something rare easy to get? It's an obvious exploit. When it is easy to farm something that is an exploit. Although not exploits are bad. If it effects the game enough, they are going to change something, and depend on how bad it is (Like say using your guild bank to duplicate items) you can get in trouble for abusing it. I was able to learn every basic motif within a week of early access. I don't see a chat without someone trying to sell one. I'm not even selling them any more because its not worth just to try and get 300-500 gold.

I started giving them away
    Just cod me all motifs for 1000g each, I have no problem selling them for 1500+ ;)
    That depends...who do you fight for :)
  • steven_shidiwenb16_ESO
    LimeFox wrote: »
    The thing I do hate about decreasing the drop rate is it's helping the gold sellers. A lot of them have sent me spam about buying the rare motifs. People are apparently crazy enough to buy Daedric motifs for $35 USD.

What do you want to bet that price goes up now? :/

Really?! man ive had over 12 daedrics at one point lmao

• Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    ebon heart on eu megaserver
    I usually sell blue recipes 500 ea, motifs 1500-2000ea and purple recipes 2k+
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • steven_shidiwenb16_ESO

MOTIFS that sell for 1-2k are ussually the Racial ones

The rare ones are (Primal, Barbaric, Ancient elf, Daedric). All the other motifs are basically common n worth nothing xD

• Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭

MOTIFS that sell for 1-2k are ussually the Racial ones

The rare ones are (Primal, Barbaric, Ancient elf, Daedric). All the other motifs are basically common n worth nothing xD
    the rare ones dont drop at lvl 40 I think, my highest char is lvl 40 and I never found one of the rare ones, but 1500 gold each is good enough for me and more than nothing
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't see what the problem is, there need to be rare items and I really like there are at least 4 rare motifs. I'm lvl 46 and I have found all 9 normal motifs just by looting cabinates when I pass through buildings. I have even found some motifs twice of trice and sold them for a reasonable 1000g. Maybe I'm just lucky but I can't wait to pick up the Daedric Motif and craft some nice Daedric robes, still not going to paid for it though.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    Jadakin wrote: »
    But why did this need to be done at all?

Because the constant logging on and off to get a new instance, so people can farm with little effort is probably overtaxing their launcher.

Well this will not fix that problem, if that was a problem. This change will just make it so more people do it
  • hauke
    hauke
    ✭✭✭
    normal motives are available in my guild s bank for free

rare motives i haven t got, purple recipies i only seen at Esohead..
  • SunfireKnight86
    SunfireKnight86
    ✭✭✭✭
    EP got screwed for farming. The AD areas have half the boxes of EP and 1/4 as many as DC.
  • Schumi3891
    Schumi3891
    Soul Shriven
    This nerf is too much, keep your motifs, their price will skyrocket
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Motifs do drop from mobs, as I found out last week when an orc motif dropped off a level 4 npc in Kenarthis's Roost. Surprised me as I also thought they only came from containers. I think it is a rare thing though, as it is the only one I have received this way.
  • Jim_McMasterub17_ESO
    I swear, I know people play the game differently. ..but as I read through these it boggles my mind the actions some people actually consider their "gameplay"

checking all the furniture in a house, then logging & relogging to check it again?

o..m..g... I understand running a resource route, or killing all the creatures you meet for leather.

...This just sounds like back-dooring the game mechanics for your own personal gain.

I think I'll just end this post here with a

"Really, drop rates decreased? It would take me a fraking month of sundays to figure that out...How the hell did you... Ohhhhhhh...

/case denied.
    Edited by Jim_McMasterub17_ESO on 1 May 2014 15:32
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    ...This just sounds like back-dooring the game mechanics for your own personal gain.
    It happens as surely as the sun rises every morning. If they failed to implement something as simple as serverside timer and instead nerfed droprates and emptied veteran containers, hurting normal players while boosting the value of exploiters hoard...I say shame on you Zeni!
  • Doctoruniverse
    Doctoruniverse
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah whoever implemented this change really wanted botters and farmers of motif pre-nerf to have all the power in the game.

The drop was 0,2%

Its now 0,001%

The only motif farming I have done is for myself so I could trade for motifs I didnt have.

This is no longer a possibility since farming even 1 motif might take weeks which I really dont want to do. I need imperial and ancient elf but getting these will cost me about 200k.

So thanks Zenimax for stepping on the common player while helping the botters and goldspammers significantly.
    Edited by Doctoruniverse on 2 May 2014 09:13
  • Perseas
    Perseas
    ✭✭✭
    Jirki88 wrote: »
    This is exactly what the farmers wanted... a drop rate nerf. It increases the value of their farmed motifs by a huge amount. So, good riddance ZeniMax, you actually reward those that utilize your poor planning. Nothing short of brilliant...

This is how it should be... Its an mmo and mmos need to built an economy, all can get it with some difficulty, mmo without economy and everything easy to get and willingly, it dies in less than a month. They all play the story and leave.

I am a farmer too, but not camper, I travel and I get mats and stuff from my adventures.. Not staying in 1 spot and taking advantage of it.

They could turn it sandbox, this is the best way, sandbox is the feature of mmos... Themeparks without economy, die.

The difference between sandbox and themeparks is... Themeparks, devs have full control in whats going on in the game, but themeparks die fast and end up borring. Because it acts as a lunapark, u try them all again and again, till u get borred, so the luna park must bring new themes...

Sandbox is uncontrollable.
    Edited by Perseas on 2 May 2014 09:23
  • redwoodtreesprite
    redwoodtreesprite
    ✭✭✭
    This hits the lowest levels as well. Almost every container is empty for my new characters on the EU server. Even those tiny bags that usually have pork and such are usually empty. This part baffles me, as those bags never had any recipes or motif books. So why smash the nerf bat down on them as well?

But then I expected this lack of subtlety, and at least on the NA server planned ahead and saved the motifs I was able to get. The basic ones mind you, as my highest character just reached level 19.

The way it is now, it almost isn't even worth bothering to check any containers now, as they almost always are either empty or just have a lockpick in them. Sigh...
    Edited by redwoodtreesprite on 2 May 2014 09:27
  • Audigy
    Audigy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have found 2 motif´s, Argonian and Orc´s latter I found twice. Nothing else yet, I am level 15 ;)
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The smarter move would be to INCREASE drop rates on all these "rare" motifs so that the exploiters and botters can't profit off them any more. Everyone would have them as drops and nobody would need to buy off the exploiters.

Agree if you think this would work.
    Edited by babylon on 2 May 2014 09:41
  • derek.simon00ub17_ESO
    Oh Wow, I guess this makes everything rare and exciting again, doesn't it?! Except not.. At all, you suck Zenimax
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bad part is containers either drop nothing when you open them or crap provision mats now. Always tons of mats for provisioning, the easiest grind in the game. Still trying to acquire the last Imperial motif I need and I might as well forget about the vet level ones with the changes. So the ones that farmed them to death and have them stock piled in their bank will now be sitting at mega bucks to sell them while those that never had a chance yet get ??? I resorted to pulling even the basic ones I was selling out of my guild store for now because I know the price will increase and I am not going to just give them away. All I want is just to put on my crafters so they have the styles. Not really interested in spamming for sale in chat for ungodly amounts of gold. Oh and another thing, why is it when I go to loot a desk or wardrobe and it shows that it has not been opened yet, I receive absolutely nothing from it. Not even crap provisioning resources. This happens when looting maybe 5 or 6 in a row. Seriously? Fix this, it is damaging the players.
    I went to a whole new area I had not been to before and thought, well maybe I will find something since I have not been here before. Proceeded to go loot the houses and just wow. Absolutely nothing, not even junk.
    Edited by LadyDestiny on 2 May 2014 09:56
  • Perseas
    Perseas
    ✭✭✭
    the motif prices now, will explode to 10x thats true...
  • Big_Bob
    Big_Bob
    ✭✭✭
    I say, they should do it in a way where once you found and/or learned a motif, it should stop dropping for you, as a way to discourage farmers from constantly looting and ruining chances for other players to get a fair chance of finding the rare motifs.
  • Genomic
    Genomic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's hope they add additional marketable items with subsequent patches. Motifs are a fairly ridiculous commodity and their high value is a symptom of a very limited economy (so far).
  • Jarnhand
    Jarnhand
    ✭✭✭
    Well here is my story:
    I play an Imperial (luck, what is that?) in AD Europa. My character is now level 50 vr1. I have done ALL quests possible to do so far (I am currently in Coldharbour, hit 50 shortly after getting to Coldharbour), I have completed all achievements except a few dungeons. I have looted almost everything possible to loot that I have found. I have 1 played character, and 4 vault bots (yes vaulting in the game sucks, big time).

To begin with, in the first levels motifs was common to find (except the last ones), found many up until about level 15 or so. Also found a few on vault bots in Daggerfall bank, actually a lot of the motifs were found simply in the Daggerfall bank containers, when visiting the bank.

BUT, and here is the strange part: after about level 15-20 I have almost found no motifs, the only one I can remember finding the last 2-3 weeks is Orc.

Also my vault bots are in Daggerfall bank, and it has been a HUGE nerf to items in containers. Now the containers in Daggerfall bank is almost always open (nothing to find), and no more motifs.

So, something deffinatly has been changed, and to a big degree. And as I said; it is very strange that I find almost no motifs in the high levels, and found many in the low levels. Something is simply put; off!

And to the guy finding tons; well I guess VR levels are easier to find motifs in, or something is seriously unbalanced between the 3 factions (as I said I play Daggerfall).