Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Motif / Materials Drop Rate Decrease

KefkaGestahl
KefkaGestahl
✭✭✭
When Craglorn gets release, we're supposed to get a "slight" reduction to the drop rate for motifs. Well, it looks like they couldn't bear the anticipation because all of the farmers are saying that motifs are significantly less common after the patch. Further, even materials for the rare motifs are no longer spawning in cabinets and dressers for me. I used to see copper everywhere, and daedric hearts fairly commonly, but now they're not showing up at all.

Well, they still show up in desks. They probably forgot to adjust the ratio for desks, but it's not like most buildings have multiple desks in them.

But why did this need to be done at all? They were already hard to get. All this is doing it making it next to impossible for non-farmers to get them.
  • Jadakin
    Jadakin
    ✭✭✭
    But why did this need to be done at all?

Because the constant logging on and off to get a new instance, so people can farm with little effort is probably overtaxing their launcher.
    Edited by Jadakin on 30 April 2014 19:08
  • ijacksparrowed
    ijacksparrowed
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you're the one farming bro...
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jadakin wrote: »
    But why did this need to be done at all?

Because the constant logging on and off to get a new instance, so people can farm with little effort is probably overtaxing their launcher.

Yup people found an exploit so they adjusted. Sorry you didnt get to hear about it, but sound like there is more time for you, because ti read the lastest patch notes, for PTS and MEGA, the drop will happen with Craglorn
  • Volkoth
    Volkoth
    ✭✭
    Farming isn't against EULA, Botting is. Just sayin Bro
  • KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like you're the one farming bro...
    Did I deny that? They've said there's nothing wrong with farming. I said "all of the farmers" as a collective. The people I've talked to. It doesn't change the fact that the rates have been decreased.
    Edited by KefkaGestahl on 30 April 2014 19:10
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their definition of "slight" is going to be on par with their definition of "Soon™"
    It didn't need to be changed, they just need to stop people from reloading constantly because all this is going to do is hurt the players that have yet to find one.

Now if the rarer motifs actually dropped outside of veteran content, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal but since the only place to get them is in the veteran zones, this is a terrible kneejerk reaction.
    Edited by Arsenic_Touch on 30 April 2014 19:12
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • ijacksparrowed
    ijacksparrowed
    ✭✭✭
    You're crying about nothing.
  • KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭
    It didn't need to be changed, they just need to stop people from reloading constantly because all this is going to do is hurt the players that have yet to find one.
    It seemed like they already took action in that regard. After several times logging out in a city, it began to give me the 10 second timer regardless. Not sure if that was an anomaly or not. It's not a lot to slow people down, but it could drive some people away.
    Edited by KefkaGestahl on 30 April 2014 19:14
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont understand the nerfs either. Even in the best locations you had to log in and out for an hour to yield 1-2 motifs per hour on average and maybe 1 purple recipe per 10 motifs.
    Although I did this log in and out trick quite often I only found 1 purple recipe so far during my playtime. All other purple recipes were bought from other players. Looking at my 5 trading guilds and the rate at which purple recipes appear in there, others are having the same experience.

Good luck to any non farmers to get these items.
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Their definition of "slight" is going to be on par with their definition of "Soon™"

Now if the rarer motifs actually dropped outside of veteran content, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal but since the only place to get them is in the veteran zones, this is a terrible kneejerk reaction.

So it's ok to make something rare easy to get? It's an obvious exploit. When it is easy to farm something that is an exploit. Although not exploits are bad. If it effects the game enough, they are going to change something, and depend on how bad it is (Like say using your guild bank to duplicate items) you can get in trouble for abusing it. I was able to learn every basic motif within a week of early access. I don't see a chat without someone trying to sell one. I'm not even selling them any more because its not worth just to try and get 300-500 gold.

I started giving them away
  • KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭
    So it's ok to make something rare easy to get? It's an obvious exploit. When it is easy to farm something that is an exploit. Although not exploits are bad. If it effects the game enough, they are going to change something, and depend on how bad it is (Like say using your guild bank to duplicate items) you can get in trouble for abusing it. I was able to learn every basic motif within a week of early access. I don't see a chat without someone trying to sell one. I'm not even selling them any more because its not worth just to try and get 300-500 gold.

A GM said it's not an exploit.
  • Arsenic_Touch
    Arsenic_Touch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A GM said it's not an exploit.

You know what's really funny about that post you're talking about? They said that while it wasn't an exploit, they were going to improve things. Turns out, their idea of improving things is to nerf the drop rate. Hate to see their idea of making things worse.
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

╔═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
    "Hope can drown lost in thunderous sound."
    "Fear can claim what little faith remains."
    "Death will take those who fight alone."
    "But united we can break a fate once set in stone."

╚═════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

NA // Ebonheart Pact // Leader of CORE Legion // Namira Beta Tester // VR11 NB
  • Asuna_Meow
    Asuna_Meow
    ✭✭✭
    Well since patch most cabinets and "food" are empty I get nothing from them :/
    Meow
  • RedTalon
    RedTalon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that's a very nice change.
  • Shillen
    Shillen
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like they're punishing those who didn't take advantage of it. Now instead of me paying one price for a motif it will likely be 5x that price. Thanks.
    Please LOL my comments. I'm an aspiring comedian.
  • KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭
    Shillen wrote: »
    Sounds like they're punishing those who didn't take advantage of it. Now instead of me paying one price for a motif it will likely be 5x that price. Thanks.
    Especially since a lot of farmers have been hoarding their motifs in anticipation of this nerf. One guy had 21 ancient elf/daedric motifs in his bank. I always sold mine shortly after I got them. I've never charged more than 40k for a daedric motif, and never more than 30k for ancient elf. I was giving people a fair deal. I expect the prices to jump up to 60-70k for daedric, now. If not higher.
    Edited by KefkaGestahl on 30 April 2014 19:57
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Players were logging off and on to 'reset' the towns and houses, so they could loot again. Now it does not reset by 'log off/on' but by time instead. (Part of the 'anti-boss farming code which is now linked to 'containers'.

This 'fix' has only really effected farmers.
    Edited by Natjur on 30 April 2014 20:01
  • Jirki88
    Jirki88
    ✭✭✭
    This is exactly what the farmers wanted... a drop rate nerf. It increases the value of their farmed motifs by a huge amount. So, good riddance ZeniMax, you actually reward those that utilize your poor planning. Nothing short of brilliant...
    Veritas et aequitas, et usque ad mortem.
  • Shillen
    Shillen
    ✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    Players were logging off and on to 'reset' the towns and houses, so they could loot again. Now it does not reset by 'log off/on' but by time instead. (Part of the 'anti-boss farming code which is now linked to 'containers'.

I wish that were the case. But from what I hear they also decreased the drop rate.
    Please LOL my comments. I'm an aspiring comedian.
  • KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭

That's completely wrong. Logging out still changes items. It's just that the items you get are lockpicks and an occasional foodstuff. The rates were significantly lowered. Not the log out protocol.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭

Just cod me all motifs for 1000g each, I have no problem selling them for 1500+ ;)

• Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭

You dont reset the containers. The mega server just puts you into a new phase/instance of the map. This trick only works because currently the player densitiy is still high enough to have many phases of a map.
  • zhevon
    zhevon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shillen wrote: »

I wish that were the case. But from what I hear they also decreased the drop rate.
    Well its really hard to tell - I have 4 toons. Ones a mule - 3 are main/alt/crafters. For about 2-3 weeks I have logged on/off alot just by switching characters. And when you are switching characters you might as well check containers; yesterday pre-1.06 I got 4-5 motifs. Previous to that it was 0-1 motifs for that time frame/day; with roughly similar play. So the upshot is that its really hard to tell if a drop rate is reduced or just the RNG being odd.

• KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭
    Malediktus wrote: »
    You dont reset the containers. The mega server just puts you into a new phase/instance of the map. This trick only works because currently the player densitiy is still high enough to have many phases of a map.
    I don't think that's true, either. I was farming in a VR 10 zone. There aren't nearly enough VR 10 players to have enough instances to refresh cabinets for six hours straight. Logging out and in did reset the containers.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malediktus wrote: »
    I don't think that's true, either. I was farming in a VR 10 zone. There aren't nearly enough VR 10 players to have enough instances to refresh cabinets for six hours straight. Logging out and in did reset the containers.
    They reset after a while even if you stand next to the chests. So if there are enough phases you can cycle through them. I definatly had the same instance 2-3x in a row before with chests not having resetted.
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well atleast you are lucky to find them. I have found 1 the whole time I have been playing since early access. And the one I found was useless cause it was for high elf and I am playing a high elf.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nah not lucky. I logged in and out for hours and hours over days. With normal play you obviously open a lot less chests
  • Laura
    Laura
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree nothing in games should be rare. I hate it when I get that "OH WOW" feeling that I get when something exceedingly rare drops.

I was perfectly satisfied with the "oh... look... another motif who in my guild doesn't have one? everyone? put it on the guild store for a month I guess"
  • KefkaGestahl
    KefkaGestahl
    ✭✭✭
    Laura wrote: »
    I agree nothing in games should be rare. I hate it when I get that "OH WOW" feeling that I get when something exceedingly rare drops.

I was perfectly satisfied with the "oh... look... another motif who in my guild doesn't have one? everyone? put it on the guild store for a month I guess"
    And is getting nothing better? Is being forced to pay 60-80k for something you really want better?
  • Willow
    Willow
    ✭✭✭
    You're crying about nothing.

Yeah, because you do not worry about how you look right Johnny Depp ..err...
    Jack Sparrow?