Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Motif / Materials Drop Rate Decrease

• Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Jarnhand wrote: »

And to the guy finding tons; well I guess VR levels are easier to find motifs in, or something is seriously unbalanced between the 3 factions (as I said I play Daggerfall).

Hardly, been in VR areas and every desk/closet type container everywhere is empty...so if I want, say, Daedric motif my only realistic way to acquire it is to buy. Yesterday I got mailspam selling rare motifs and craft resins - gold was not even mentioned.

The chinese must be praising Zeni right now....or maybe they just offered a cut to some outsourced underpaid indian dataworker who is not even mentioned in the gamecredits.

• AlMcFly
    AlMcFly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in a recent Reddit discussion about the issue:

http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/24i915/motif_drops_patched/

I personally did the login-logout method yesterday (Sunday) from 3pm to 11:30pm in V6 Glenumbra Castle which has more than 7 cupboards(or desks, wardrobes, etc.). Yes, that's 8.5 hours of doing these quick runs. I mostly do this to gather hundreds of provisioning ingredients (and the occasional motif doesn't hurt me at all).

I got a grand total of ZERO motifs. ZERO recipes of any color. I got ZERO Palladium. I got THREE Daedric Hearts. Tell me how that qualifies as "slight" (as the patch notes claim)? To me, that qualifies as ZOS misleading everyone to believe this "fix" wasn't significant. Yes, the price of motifs is going to skyrocket now.

Edit: Let me clarify that I am personally NOT against the change. I'm against the deception from ZOS. They need to release exact "numeric figures" of the change and just stand by their decision like big boys/girls. Keeping changes vague by using words like "slightly lowered" or "reduced effectiveness slightly" is ultimately deceptive no matter how you look at it.
    Edited by AlMcFly on 5 May 2014 18:13
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently if you were one of the people who were already dedicating much time, pretty much all day, to finding motifs and recipes you'll still find them. if you are the regular adventurer who opens a cabinet here and there as you travel the lands you'll probably never see one now. By the post of the person who is still collecting motifs on a regular basis, it seems to be the case. Motifs, fluff as they are, are now for hardcore furniture grinders....

Certainly not what I would have done. If they want to fix whatever exploit was going on before the stealth nerf, they should have just made them unfindable completely until they get a real fix. The realist fix I saw mentioned was making it so when you find that motif (and actually loot it) you wont find that motif again. Add on a bind on pickup and there, no more economy buster.

Too late for that now tho. Damage is done, time to move on. All I wanted was 1 daedric and 1 ancient elf motif, and now since I am not a hardcore furniture grinder I wont be seeing them until they come up with a real fix. I'm certainly not going to pay anyone any horrendous price for some fluff either. GG.
    Edited by demonlkojipub19_ESO on 6 May 2014 14:45
  • MkChkn
    MkChkn
    I understand a slight reduction but now I have zero hope of finding a rare motiff and after seeing two deadric motiffs sell for over 100k feel like it would be worth just paying a gold spammer for one. If u can't beat em join em.
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah whoever implemented this change really wanted botters and farmers of motif pre-nerf to have all the power in the game.

The drop was 0,2%

Its now 0,001%

The only motif farming I have done is for myself so I could trade for motifs I didnt have.

This is no longer a possibility since farming even 1 motif might take weeks which I really dont want to do. I need imperial and ancient elf but getting these will cost me about 200k.

So thanks Zenimax for stepping on the common player while helping the botters and goldspammers significantly.

you take away the power by refusing to pay those prices, is it really worth that much gold to make you look a little different. basic economics, supply and demand, if you dont demand the supply become meaningless
  • woutervanjellob16_ESO
    woutervanjellob16_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Motifs? I bought them all from other players. Haven't got one single drop (played beta's). Level 37 now.
  • TazzyD83
    TazzyD83
    ✭✭

The fix we think is a maximum ammount of farming that can be done within a zone on containers. For example (not exact numbers btw) Lets say they set the maximum lootable containers to a zone at 40,000 lootable containers. Now lets say 2000 people are in that zone running in and out of houses with auto loot on and it only decreases that 40,000 once items have been removed from the container. How long would it take for the farm cap (40k) to be hit and for the map shard (aka map server) to completely lock (making containers empty) everything untill it resets.

Just a side note for you to think about lol. You see people farming / selling motifs in the morning/afternoon. But containers are always empty later in the day.

This, although being speculation, does appear to make a little sense, and would tie in with some of the experiences i've had
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The nerf is pretty bad. Looted 2 motifs since the patch, mostly lockpicks or unopened containers that end up empty. I am too the point I don't even waste my time on them now till something is changed. Now I hit V1and was sure looking forward to the chance of looting one of the daedric, primal etc., but looks like it won't be happening any time soon. I will not throw my money away on them either at the absurd prices people charge. The best fix in my opinion is to just let the crafters gain these skills automatically as they level up making daedric, primal, barbaric and ancient elf the highest tier. No more motif sales :p
    Edited by LadyDestiny on 10 May 2014 16:48
  • Phantax
    Phantax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I said this as soon as they announced (leaked) the change, all this would do is hurt the legitimate players... and it has !

:(
    High Elf Sorcerer VR12 - Destro / Resto Staff
    I'm a werewolf. If you vamps don't like it.... Bite me !
    We're not retreating... we're advancing in a different direction !
  • Jim_McMasterub17_ESO
    AlMcFly wrote: »

I personally did the login-logout method yesterday (Sunday) from 3pm to 11:30pm in V6 Glenumbra Castle which has more than 7 cupboards(or desks, wardrobes, etc.). Yes, that's 8.5 hours of doing these quick runs. I mostly do this to gather hundreds of provisioning ingredients (and the occasional motif doesn't hurt me at all).

I got a grand total of ZERO motifs. ZERO recipes of any color. I got ZERO Palladium. I got THREE Daedric Hearts. Tell me how that qualifies as "slight" (as the patch notes claim)? To me, that qualifies as ZOS misleading everyone to believe this "fix" wasn't significant. Yes, the price of motifs is going to skyrocket now.

Good,

I hope you got jack-squat for logging in & out for eight hours forcing their game system to try & give you what you wanted from chests you had already looted.

As I've said, people doing this; caused this, it had nothing to DO with bots; it was to stop YOU.

...bots are a blight against Tamriel in a completely different manner.

PLAYERS gaming the system are what got this nerf implemented; so in that respect.

"As intended..."

• Takanami
    Takanami
    ✭✭✭
    i have been farming in vet zone for 4 hours today, just to try get either a primal or barbaric. i have picked up 3 copper. that is it
  • Fairydragon3
    Fairydragon3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ill just leave this thread with this, wouldn't it be HILARIOUS if they changed the loot to be time based(like you have to be online for an hour before this loot will drop), and all of this would be ok if people would just stop trying to farm the motifs like that
  • Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    Got one today. A primal motif. Method: been opening random containers for (what seems) weeks as I go around VR questing. So, chance is something above 0%.
  • colonel_schmeevin
    Here's my opinion on this. Ppl saying things weren't rare were obviously farming. This nerf hurts HONEST CRAFTERS and that's it. If you're farming and complaining that you can't sell these for money I could care less. Since early access, I played for 3-4hrs a day and only searched town furniture as I came to them for quests, depositing in banks or craft. It took 20-25 days to get all the basic ones by this method. And I probably found 25 total with lots of duplicates of ones I had. That's 1 motif a day. That's rare. And the fact that you would get the same ones over and over while needed another made it more rare. Now in veteran AD zone, I've been playing for 2 weeks and have found 3...all barbaric. Extremely rare and being that I find the same one every time, only makes it more rare. It was already a pain to get motifs. Now it's a nightmare. Not to mention now we no longer get materials for smithing or provisioning. Crafting was a huge reason I bought the game and it was one of the few areas of the game not bugged. And with VR content being so boring and such a quest grind, I looked forward to doing more crafting but now crafting is becoming even more of a money sink if you're not selling items.

So this will only drive up the price of motifs, crafting/provisioning and make farmers farm even harder. I've had to completely change the way I play. Do I break this item down for material that I can no longer find or sell it so I can maybe save up enough for a motif that I can't find??

The fix was already happening naturally prior to the nerf. Prices were going waaaay down and everyone realized that motifs were everywhere if u looked. And for ppl that didn't wanna wait till VR zones to get a lvl 11-14 motif, well that was their right to offer to buy the ones being sold. It was supply and demand working as it should have. And ZOS has ruined it.

Motifs should have been left alone or they need to drop from mobs, be learned from bookcases and not lootable or make it something that can be researched or broken down in crafting. Many solutions exist but they picked the fastest and worst one
  • Aenima_pt
    Aenima_pt
    ✭✭✭
    Volkoth wrote: »
    Farming isn't against EULA, Botting is. Just sayin Bro

Login and logout is not farming, is exploiting a spawn system and i suppose with all the login and logouts it stresses the login servers.

Farming is when you stay in game collecting or killing the same things for some time.
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    After the recent patch? Id say the droprate is already down 75% or more.
    And the rate of empty dressers and such has more than doubled.
    And I only had one day of farming them in me before the patch, imagine if i had weeks like some people.
    Got 2 prepatch
    1 after patch from a dungeon nontheless
    Waiting, and watching, for the return of Melee Weapons.
    -Subsidiary of The Fighters Guild
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    Motifs are a money making opportunity, some people think their characters looks are so important they would be willing to go for broke for it.

People who are angry at their prices are simply complaining they are too poor to buy something, "QQ i cant buy motif" well, irl, ill gladly QQ I cant buy my own spaceship.
    And yes it does take some manor of luck to get them.

Oh and when I was farming them before the patch I got my first motif the second attempt, another 4 attempts later, and then i spent 2-3 hours without getting anything. So if you are super lucky you could get one from every dresser you ever open in your life or you might end up never getting one, ever.
    Edited by Daethz on 10 May 2014 20:52
  • Daethz
    Daethz
    ✭✭✭
    I would also say this "Anti-Farm" protocol has really damaged this game already.
    If it gets any worse ill probably unsub until they come up with a better solution.
  • PF1901
    PF1901
    ✭✭✭
    AlMcFly wrote: »

Edit: Let me clarify that I am personally NOT against the change. I'm against the deception from ZOS. They need to release exact "numeric figures" of the change and just stand by their decision like big boys/girls. Keeping changes vague by using words like "slightly lowered" or "reduced effectiveness slightly" is ultimately deceptive no matter how you look at it.
    Hahaha, oh man...I hope you got at least a god damn headache out of that 8.5hours. Unbelievable.
    "Exact numeric figures"? You must be kidding. Can't remember the last game where I read patchnotes in the form of "we lowered / increased blablabla by .5367436893%".
    Edited by PF1901 on 10 May 2014 22:02
  • Syzmicke
    Syzmicke
    ✭✭✭
    WTS 30000 Lockpicks cause thats all i get %99.99 of the time :)
  • colonel_schmeevin
    Yeah what the heck with the lockpicks? I could build a house with them. Waiting for the lockpick motif to be released
  • TazzyD83
    TazzyD83
    ✭✭
    Hey, I thought i'd share something with you all..

Whilst playing today, I was subject to a guild conversation, between 2 guys, that buy and sell for profit. They were discussing how they had already made a million or 2, buying and selling motifs pre-nerf.

This didn't bother me in the slightest, they have the patience to sit in a zone, and haggle with people to buy them low, and sell them to people who really wanted them for a higher price, sales 101.

The next part of the conversation, got me interested so i stopped playing for a minute to continue reading; They were discussing how as soon as they heard a patch was coming to fix the drop rates, they would buy in bulk, to sell at a later date, because they would become rarer,

Again not an issue, this is a clever business strategy. Oh, but then, the next part of this conversation blew me away...

They started laughing and boasting, whilst spamming my other trade guild with "WTB deadric motif 120k", because, and i quote; "Dude i just found this level 3 in the rift, who is buying Deadric motifs at 200k a pop".

At first I thought I was missing something, then they started laughing harder, and explained that this person buying, was actually linked with an RMT website that sold these motifs, for real money, and that these motifs, are making them more money than gold sales.

Not only was I completely gobsmacked that this was happening, I suddenly realized that I was playing with people that are willing to destroy the game, just to line their own pockets with game currency.

I'm not here to complain, I'm just posting what i experienced today.. and it appears to highlight exactly what many people have been posting about, the drop rate nerf (intended, or not) has only helped the illegal gold trade.

Thanks for your time

• Juponen
    Juponen
    ✭✭✭
    website that sold these motifs, for real money, and that these motifs, are making them more money than gold sales.

Zeni rep would simply say: working as designed
  • alive741
    alive741
    babylon wrote: »
    The smarter move would be to INCREASE drop rates on all these "rare" motifs so that the exploiters and botters can't profit off them any more. Everyone would have them as drops and nobody would need to buy off the exploiters.

Agree if you think this would work.

There's no disagree strongly button...so in other words everyone should easily have all rare items in an mmo..
  • Jim_McMasterub17_ESO
    TazzyD83 wrote: »
    Hey, I thought i'd share something with you all..

Whilst playing today, I was subject to a guild conversation, between 2 guys, that buy and sell for profit. They were discussing how they had already made a million or 2, buying and selling motifs pre-nerf.

This didn't bother me in the slightest, they have the patience to sit in a zone, and haggle with people to buy them low, and sell them to people who really wanted them for a higher price, sales 101.

The next part of the conversation, got me interested so i stopped playing for a minute to continue reading; They were discussing how as soon as they heard a patch was coming to fix the drop rates, they would buy in bulk, to sell at a later date, because they would become rarer,

Again not an issue, this is a clever business strategy. Oh, but then, the next part of this conversation blew me away...

They started laughing and boasting, whilst spamming my other trade guild with "WTB deadric motif 120k", because, and i quote; "Dude i just found this level 3 in the rift, who is buying Deadric motifs at 200k a pop".

At first I thought I was missing something, then they started laughing harder, and explained that this person buying, was actually linked with an RMT website that sold these motifs, for real money, and that these motifs, are making them more money than gold sales.

Not only was I completely gobsmacked that this was happening, I suddenly realized that I was playing with people that are willing to destroy the game, just to line their own pockets with game currency.

I'm not here to complain, I'm just posting what i experienced today.. and it appears to highlight exactly what many people have been posting about, the drop rate nerf (intended, or not) has only helped the illegal gold trade.

Thanks for your time

Exactly my point with posts regarding this matter.

"furniture farmers" caused this nerf, NOT bots.

People did it; with their gaming of the system.
    I DO wish now that we are all screwed by it, there was some way to make them reap what they've sown...
  • Yusuf
    Yusuf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And now i will never be able to cook veteranfood or find purple veteranrecipes....
  • Namiel
    Namiel
    ✭✭
    Wow, by reading these comments seems that I am the only one to actually play the game and looting containers once "i find them" while questing and exploring new maps.
    I found all my motifs just by advancing in the game (and of course, some trading to take rid of the unwanted ones).
    4-5 motifs per hours? By logging in/out for hours? ...
    "Be like water, my friend"
  • ZeroTheCat
    ZeroTheCat
    ✭✭
    Namiel wrote: »
    Wow, by reading these comments seems that I am the only one to actually play the game and looting containers once "i find them" while questing and exploring new maps.
    I found all my motifs just by advancing in the game (and of course, some trading to take rid of the unwanted ones).
    4-5 motifs per hours? By logging in/out for hours? ...

That's how I play. I NEVER find motifs any more. Not even ordinary ones. It's quite sad actually.
  • Namiel
    Namiel
    ✭✭
    Bosmer and Dunmer dropped for me two days ago. This patch doesn't penalize casual gamers that don't farm on them (but of course it raised the price a lot, so if you were looking to buy them, just give up).
    "Be like water, my friend"
  • netsike
    netsike
    ✭✭✭
    Solution for the problem: slightly increase the drop rate again and make them BOUND ON PICKUP! Its soo easy, I don't understand why don't they change it...