Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Wayshrine recall should be disabled when you have a bounty.

Dahveed
Dahveed
✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah.

I could go on a separate rant about the bounty system, IMO it doesn't feel "consequential" enough if you get caught, and there are too many pardon edicts lying about even if you do mess up (I always have several of them in my inventory even though I never search for them...).

But at the very least I shouldn't be able to just magically disappear from a city if they just caught me murdering someone. At the very least I should need to put in the effort require to sneak away or make a run for it. It would raise the stakes at least a little bit.

/shrug
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can choose not to use wayshrines.

but being able to use wayshrines for fast travel is due to magic so having a bounty shouldn't change anything
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

Ugh, I HATE when people use this argument.

"This game is too easy, I'm not having fun."

Answer: " Well, all you have to do is play with your feet and put on a blindfold! You can make your own difficulty!" /groan

(By the way, I usually don't.)

• AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about travel to player? What if I got caught because someone sent me a group invite to join a trial/dungeon? Should I have to wait till my bounty runs out before I can join them?

Should bounties not run down if you log in to a different character/log off?
    The Moot Councillor
  • DenverRalphy
    DenverRalphy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you own Emisarry's Enclave in Necrom, not only do you have a free port out from anywhere in the world, you essentially have a free port to an Outlaw Refuge as well.

The Bounty System is inconsequential anymore.
    Edited by DenverRalphy on 2 September 2024 20:46
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you own Emisarry's Enclave in Necrom, not only do you have a free port out from anywhere in the world, you essentially have a free port to an Outlaw Refuge as well.

The Stone Eagle Aerie also has an entrance to an Outlaw Refuge.
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm still in Western Skyrim just taking my time.

I guess this discussion would be a completely different can of worms entirely... It's my problem with the game overall I guess, everything feels like a caricature of the "real thing", if you get my meaning.

Big mean All-of-Tamriel-threatening quest bosses who die is 3 seconds. Murdering someone in plain view of everyone and then waltzing back into the same town 30 minutes later like it was nothing. Mudcrabs dropping magical Greatswords.

Sometimes I fantasize about being a 30-billionaire just so I could buy ZoS and be a dictator there so I could order the devs to remake their game systems from the ground up.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dahveed wrote: »
    But at the very least I shouldn't be able to just magically disappear from a city if they just caught me murdering someone. At the very least I should need to put in the effort require to sneak away or make a run for it. It would raise the stakes at least a little bit.

It would make sense in theory, but practically, people would just use a pardon edict (or one of these priest costumes from the bags that drop once a day from the silent Argonian), so in the end, nothing would change.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see a more complex justice system, but I somehow doubt that ZOS will care for that.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess this discussion would be a completely different can of worms entirely... It's my problem with the game overall I guess, everything feels like a caricature of the "real thing", if you get my meaning.

For me, it already starts with murdered npcs just respawning 2 minutes later as nothing ever happened. Murder just has no severity because of this. But this is something they can't change in a multiplayer game, so I accept it. Same goes for the fact that they can't let us have world-changing events, big choices in different quest endings, etc, because the world has to remain the same for all players. It is a static world that doesn't reach the depth of a single player game where the player's decision could (theoretically) turn the whole world around. I completely see how this feels "lite" in comparison. But I don't think much can be done about it in an MMO.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm supposed to be this super duper assassin thief with powers to match why shouldn't I be able to just leave? I am able to literally disappear so it makes sense to me.

If zos wanted bounties to be more confining they could have made them disable stealth and other escape measures, but they didn't.

Although I have the Emabssy I usually just port to Sleek Creek house. The outlaws' refuge is just outside and works just fine.

Edited by MidniteOwl1913 on 2 September 2024 21:26
    PS5/NA
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also have the impression they keep it easy on purpose. Let's be honest: Scrying isn't hard either. Or most riddles in game.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syldras wrote: »
    I also have the impression they keep it easy on purpose. Let's be honest: Scrying isn't hard either. Or most riddles in game.

Yeah Scrying also feels like a joke sometimes. Once you spend a few perk points you can't lose.

And even if you do, you just go to the next dig. The "broken" thing doesn't actually break.

I mean I get it, Scrying is just a flavour side activity but it's another thing I would change.
  • LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    LunaFlora wrote: »

Ugh, I HATE when people use this argument.

"This game is too easy, I'm not having fun."

Answer: " Well, all you have to do is play with your feet and put on a blindfold! You can make your own difficulty!" /groan

(By the way, I usually don't.)

i did not say what you said.

if you think your character should not be able to use wayshrines when they have a bounty, you can choose to not use them.

i sometimes just ride on mounts instead of taking waysyrines because i can choose to do that if i want to.
    so it's good you already choose to usually not use wayshrines, it's your choice.

zos is unlikely to disable wayshrines for everyone with a bounty.

And as you brought up difficulty:
    zos wants the game, especially overland activities, to be easy for everyone.

so currently we do actually have to choose to make things harder for ourselves in whichever ways we can if we want it.
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That they made scrying a "game" at all is puzzling to me. I have to find the lead and correctly determine the location of the item after I locate the dig site. It just seems a bit arbitrary to have put some pretty lame puzzle in the middle.
    PS5/NA
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That they made scrying a "game" at all is puzzling to me. I have to find the lead and correctly determine the location of the item after I locate the dig site. It just seems a bit arbitrary to have put some pretty lame puzzle in the middle.

According to lore, that blue glowing thing is used to magically determine the antiquity's location, first roughly on the map, then, once you're in its proximity, in detail. Why it does that is ZOS' decision and makes as much sense as finding "leads" out of nowhere by killing a wolf or harvesting a cornflower. Or getting harvesting surveys for magically regrowing ore. Or finding scribing parts or Azandar's notes in random containers all over Tamriel (and beyond). Or regrowing "hidden" thieves troves that have a strong blue glow that absolutely doesn't draw any unwanted attention to them. Or ancient Nords using picture puzzles that 3 year olds can solve to "securely" seal their precious ancestors' tombs...
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "hidden" thieves troves that have a strong blue glow

To be fair, the blue glow isn't actually there for the NPCs to see, or even your own player. It's the same "glow" that appears on crafting nodes in the world... It's supposed to represent the "keen eye" that your character has for noticing these things in the world where others cannot. The actual glow that you see is the game-ified version of this, which is meant for only you, the player, to see...just like your inventory screen or subtitles. They are part of the interface.

But yeah, suffice it to say that if I were the Elon Musk twitter-buying-out megalomaniac billionaire who could just own ZoS tomorrow morning, there would be a LOT of changes :D

Edited by Dahveed on 2 September 2024 22:23
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Big mean All-of-Tamriel-threatening quest bosses who die is 3 seconds. Murdering someone in plain view of everyone and then waltzing back into the same town 30 minutes later like it was nothing. Mudcrabs dropping magical Greatswords.

Sometimes I fantasize about being a 30-billionaire just so I could buy ZoS and be a dictator there so I could order the devs to remake their game systems from the ground up.

If you were a 30-billionaire, you could just start your own game company, hire your own game developers, tell them exactly the kind of game you want them to develop while you micromanage their work, put your game out there on the market, and see if enough of the gaming public enjoy it for it to become a success, rather than trying to be a dictator who takes over everyone else's game companies and forces them to remake all of their games in your own image.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a follow
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »

If you were a 30-billionaire, you could just start your own game company, hire your own game developers, tell them exactly the kind of game you want them to develop while you micromanage their work, put your game out there on the market, and see if enough of the gaming public enjoy it for it to become a success, rather than trying to be a dictator who takes over everyone else's game companies and forces them to remake all of their games in your own image.

Yeah but where's the fun in that? I want to be megalomaniacal, dammit!
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a follow

That sure would prove to be fun for the employees and users of the company bought by a megalomaniac. :#
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah.

I could go on a separate rant about the bounty system, IMO it doesn't feel "consequential" enough if you get caught, and there are too many pardon edicts lying about even if you do mess up (I always have several of them in my inventory even though I never search for them...).

/shrug

Why not get rid of Fences (or whatever) as well and just retain your bounty until it wears off?
    Let's face it, most loot is not worth keeping anyway.
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a follow

That sure would prove to be fun for the employees and users of the company bought by a megalomaniac. :#

Please tell me you know I'm joking. *sigh*
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a follow

Please tell me you know I'm joking. *sigh*

I do, but you kind of do want to change a whole lot of stuff ....
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, the blue glow isn't actually there for the NPCs to see, or even your own player. It's the same "glow" that appears on crafting nodes in the world... It's supposed to represent the "keen eye" that your character has for noticing these things in the world where others cannot.

I might remember wrong, but I think that there's one difference: for crafting nodes and chests to glow there's a skill that has to be unlocked, while the thieves troves always glow?

Anyway, there are a lot of things in the game that realistically wouldn't make much sense, but they're obviously there as a game mechanic.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't expect any serious stakes in a game like this. No serious consequences, threats, or anything of the like. That's partially because this is a live service multiplayer game — I'd expect the gameplay with any real stakes or game-changing impact to be in the singleplayer TES titles.

I'd be concerned if TES VI didn't take into account all of these suggestions for harder content with more impactful consequences for player choices and stakes that carried weight. I just don't see ESO as the kind of game to offer that experience.
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »
    [...] just retain your bounty until it wears off

What if that's not an option?
    I'm but a sarcastic beef jerky. Irony and cynicism are my parents. You've been warned.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

/shrug

Except teleportation is literally one of the spells the Vestige knows.

• Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't expect any serious stakes in a game like this. No serious consequences, threats, or anything of the like. That's partially because this is a live service multiplayer game — I'd expect the gameplay with any real stakes or game-changing impact to be in the singleplayer TES titles.

I'd be concerned if TES VI didn't take into account all of these suggestions for harder content with more impactful consequences for player choices and stakes that carried weight. I just don't see ESO as the kind of game to offer that experience.

By "impact" and "consequences" I understand they can't do anything too Nirn-shattering, since you can't change the world for other players. But it should at least be a bad thing if you mess up.

i.e., if you get caught stealing, the bounty shouldn't go away in 10 minutes or whatever. (Also, why does a guard in Solitude know that I stole a sweetroll from a wet bag in an Argonian swamp?)

Bleh, I could go on and on about this stuff.

Wolves don't have magic necklaces. Abandoned caves don't have lit torches. A troll, a group of bandit marauders, and a random camp of undead skeletons shouldn't be hanging around all within a stone's throw of a village waiting to attack me while the town's guards just stand there and watch.

Soooo many small things that drive me nuts, that I would absolutely Thanos fingersnap into oblivion if I had the power. /sigh
    Edited by Dahveed on 3 September 2024 00:06
  • Dahveed
    Dahveed
    ✭✭✭✭✭

/shrug

Except teleportation is literally one of the spells the Vestige knows.

Well, on a side note, not all of us want to be "the Vestige". If I roll an alt, I might want to ignore the MQ and just be a scumbag thief, or a mercenary or something.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You make it sound like it used to be consequential.

It never was.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • ESO_player123
    ESO_player123
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By "impact" and "consequences" I understand they can't do anything too Nirn-shattering, since you can't change the world for other players. But it should at least be a bad thing if you mess up.

i.e., if you get caught stealing, the bounty shouldn't go away in 10 minutes or whatever. (Also, why does a guard in Solitude know that I stole a sweetroll from a wet bag in an Argonian swamp?)

Bleh, I could go on and on about this stuff.

Wolves don't have magic necklaces. Abandoned caves don't have lit torches. A troll, a group of bandit marauders, and a random camp of undead skeletons shouldn't be hanging around all within a stone's throw of a village waiting to attack me while the town's guards just stand there and watch.

Soooo many small things that drive me nuts, that I would absolutely Thanos fingersnap into oblivion if I had the power. /sigh

So, it's about immersion and logic? How about carrying 10 bridges in the inventory or storing cheese next to some slime in there and then eating that same cheese without any consequences?
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolves don't have magic necklaces.

A necklace can be swallowed by a wolf while eating a carcass, at least. It gets more difficult with a whole shield. Or a staff inside a mudcrab.

I also wish ESO would differenciate loot depending on the type of enemy more. But unfortunately I'm quite sure they won't change that, now that they're 10 years into this game.
    Abandoned caves don't have lit torches.

They could have avoided that by giving players a decent light spell.
    A troll, a group of bandit marauders, and a random camp of undead skeletons shouldn't be hanging around all within a stone's throw of a village waiting to attack me while the town's guards just stand there and watch.

Guards not interfering in fights bothers me a most about this. Especially since they always did in the last few TES games.
    @Syldras | PC | EU