Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS, Massive Spike in Ping/LAG in Recent Days - What Gives?

• VouxeTheMinotaur
    VouxeTheMinotaur
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Is Akamai only used along certain routes, e.g. from the Southern Hemisphere countries? That would explain why most players don't have these problems (which in itself strongly supports the idea of it being down to Akamai rather than the servers, as if it was the servers everyone would have the same experience).

I highly doubt ZoS would come out and say that - they are done with this thread.

At the end of the day there is no way for us to get around it we are kind of SOL.

Is there any other way to bring this to the devs attention? If this thread is muted by Kevin and other members, which if true is absolutely terribly poor behavior considering a lot of people were giving feedback as asked, what other way is there to get this through ZOS' heads?

I mean the game is in a terrible state, are they really just doing a "sweep it under the rug" move?

shifty af if so
    PS5/NA: Vouxe_
    (she/her)
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Akamai only used along certain routes, e.g. from the Southern Hemisphere countries? That would explain why most players don't have these problems (which in itself strongly supports the idea of it being down to Akamai rather than the servers, as if it was the servers everyone would have the same experience).

I highly doubt ZoS would come out and say that - they are done with this thread.

At the end of the day there is no way for us to get around it we are kind of SOL.

Is there any other way to bring this to the devs attention? If this thread is muted by Kevin and other members, which if true is absolutely terribly poor behavior considering a lot of people were giving feedback as asked, what other way is there to get this through ZOS' heads?

I mean the game is in a terrible state, are they really just doing a "sweep it under the rug" move?

shifty af if so

PvP has been swept under the rug for 7 years now why would anything be different.

All I can think of is to tag other people who haven't muted this thread. I've sent this to Kevin on social media multiple times in response to some of his ESO posts so I know he has seen we are still interested in some answers in this thread.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any other way to bring this to the devs attention?

We're not telling them anything they don't already know. In fact, they know far more about Akamai dysfunction than we do.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »

Is there any other way to bring this to the devs attention?

We're not telling them anything they don't already know. In fact, they know far more about Akamai dysfunction than we do.

Each red line is a crash @ZOS_Kevin aw9ugagk0urj.png

Get Akamai TF out of the routing table this is embarrassing on both parties side.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    Not trying to beat a dead horse, but the lag/latency is appalling right now on PS/NA. As in currently, right now.

Not Cyro, not IC, not BGs. Overland. Not even West Weald, but Western Skyrim.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but this is the worst I've seen performance in years. Granted it isn't as bad as when Markarth dropped, but it's getting close.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I came here to meme about the new servers from a bit ago actually being Intel 13th and 14th Gen (look it up if you're confused - and update your BIOS if you have one of them...) but the Akamai information above is fairly conclusive evidence on its own.

My only anecdote is from last night while ballgrouping in Grey Host. The entire 12-player raid was booted from the server simultaneously upon reaching the Roe farm and when we got back on we all had giga-ping and huge amounts of input lag. Suffice to say, 12 players being booted at the same time is NOT an individual player issue but rather a ZOS issue.
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭
    I’m doing overland quests in the Deadlands. Ping shoots up randomly and even during quest conversations there’s massive delays regularly. I’ve not had it this bad until recently. It’s affecting every area of the game, not just Cyrodiil. On some days it’s near unplayable.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Can we get an update on this please? I can understand you have a lot on your plate, but we should be getting some help here. We got updates on teabagging, it would be nice if we could get some details here. More than just silence or “we’re still investigating”. Engage us already.
    Edited by Destai on 22 August 2024 17:13
  • LaintalAy
    LaintalAy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    @ZOS_Kevin Can we get an update on this please? I can understand you have a lot on your plate, but we should be getting some help here. We got updates on teabagging, it would be nice if we could get some details here. More than just silence or “we’re still investigating”. Engage us already.

A public statement should be provided for legislative purposes.
    REQUIREMENTS NOT MET
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigh massive lag spikes so bad I cannot finish daily writs in West Weald, PC NA. Still no response from ZOS I see.
    Edited by Seravi on 22 August 2024 13:24
  • dcrush
    dcrush
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doing IA, out of nowhere I get 999+ ping for about a minute and then disconnected. Every single day something like this happens and it doesn’t matter what I’m doing. Absolute trash.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaintalAy wrote: »

A public statement should be provided for legislative purposes.

My daily routine.

Make coffee.
    Dial into standup.
    Load this thread to see if @ZOS_Kevin ever replied.
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Two questions:
    1. Why were the related threads on the official forums not treated with a higher priority? This thread has been opened since May 7 and now, 23 days later, we get an update.
    2. What are the other issues? Surely this is an anticipated question, as you all should know by now that performance concerns are quite visible. Can we get some background on what the other issues are?
    1. You're assuming this was not being taken seriously. As Rich mentioned, we have been dealing with this for the last few weeks. Also to note, we normally do not comment on DDoS attacks. Rich felt it appropriate to mention as it came up during the AMA, but we've been tracking this thread for awhile now.
    2. Again as stated earlier, we are still investigating. I'm going into another meeting about this shortly to see what other information could be provided to assist in resolving this issue. Anything provided now would be a guess at best. Once we have a better idea of what else could be causing issues, we'll communicate that.

The last 10+ pages is why people make comments like we assume you're not taking it seriously. (Rich stream trolling us too is another reason why we think the current leadership in ZoS doesn't take this issue seriously but that is a whole different conversation)
    Hi all. After chatting with the team, we're looking to gather more information from players who have been experiencing new and/or worse latency/lag spikes/rubber-banding issues in ESO since the beginning of May 2024 (when the emergent issues in this thread were initially reported.) To help us with our ongoing investigation, could you please answer the following questions?
    • What server/platform do you play on?
    • What is the nature of the issues you started experiencing or noticed got worse after the beginning of May 2024? (ex. did characters rubberband/warp, did abilities get delayed/fail to fire, etc.)
    • Around what time of day have you experienced the new and/or worse issues reported in this thread?
    • Where in-game have you experienced these issues? Please be as specific as possible (name/area of overland zone, delve, dungeon, Trial, etc.)
    • Have you experienced these issues outside of combat situations (in houses, for example)
    • Have you noticed these issues are worse during any specific times of day? If so, what times?
    • Have you noticed any changes/improvements as of today?

51 days since this - last we have heard from anyone at ZoS about this (Gina never once responded here by the way).

Where are we? What has been happening with all the information we are providing you? What if anything has been determined as the root cause of all this lag? What if anything has the team done to try to pinpoint our issues? Are there any graphics or anything you can share (even if they don't show the root cause but shows the process the team has gone through to try to nail this down?.

Transparency is NOT something ZoS is good at but I challenge everyone to ZoS to be more transparent. No one is expecting this issue to be fixed overnight - nor are we expecting them to have all the answers. What we are expecting is an acknowledgment more than "we are investigating". This is a line that has been used when us PvP'er bring up the lag for 7 years now - we are mainly just ignored tbh. Now that it's hitting PvE ZoS can't hide it anymore.

It's time to make some changes on how you communicate. Gina famously said in 2019-ish that Zos communication has not been up to par and there is no excuse for that - what changes have been made to improve coms since then? I'd argue they have only gotten worse. @ZOS_Kevin
    Edited by Photosniper89 on 22 August 2024 15:28
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gina isn't in the community team any more; she's now doing something with "content creators".

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Gina isn't in the community team any more; she's now doing something with "content creators".

Yup, which is right around the same time @ZOS_Kevin stopped responding. :wink:
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The entire dev team has only responded to about 6 forum queries this month according to the Dev Tracker, but one of them was from Gina. So it appears she is still popping in occasionally to help out.
  • FoJul
    FoJul
    ✭✭✭✭
    The game for me and a lot of other's is going into unplayable territory.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    FoJul wrote: »
    The game for me and a lot of other's is going into unplayable territory.
    For me, it's just gone into "not playing" mode, i.e. I haven't logged in for about 5 weeks, for various reasons I won't describe here because of how this forum works.
    Edited by vsrs_au on 22 August 2024 20:27
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • blktauna
    blktauna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on East Coast US and on I go through 4 akamai servers before traceroute crashes...
    198.20.200.1 as per their direction for game issues.
    PCNA
    PCEU
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The entire dev team has only responded to about 6 forum queries this month according to the Dev Tracker, but one of them was from Gina. So it appears she is still popping in occasionally to help out.

Curious if they all still work from home....
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Sorry for the long absence, all. I was away for work travel over the last several weeks and catching up on things before launch.

After checking back in with the team, there isn't much progress to report right now. There were several attempts at pushing forth possible solutions, but those attempts have not resolved the issue. The engineering teams have poured over your reports, player logs, etc. to see if there is a commonality to tackle.

We are still continuing to investigate. However, outside of reporting issues as you come across them, there isn't much else at the moment to do outside of our engineering teams continuing to test for possible solutions. We are still sharing reports as they come in with those teams for investigation.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for the long absence, all. I was away for work travel over the last several weeks and catching up on things before launch.

After checking back in with the team, there isn't much progress to report right now. There were several attempts at pushing forth possible solutions, but those attempts have not resolved the issue. The engineering teams have poured over your reports, player logs, etc. to see if there is a commonality to tackle.

We are still continuing to investigate. However, outside of reporting issues as you come across them, there isn't much else at the moment to do outside of our engineering teams continuing to test for possible solutions. We are still sharing reports as they come in with those teams for investigation.

Has Akamai been discussed at all? Its starting to look like that may be the issue and packet loss.

I've literally changed all of my hardware.

Different pc's, different router/wifi, different cables, differnt ISP (starlink vs fiber) and the results are the exact same. Akamai packet loss every 20ish or so minutes which results in crashes or the massive rubber banding.

Things got slightly better and the rubber banding stopped (dc's didnt) a few weeks back when Akamai was removed from the routing table. Now that it is back it's worse.
    Edited by Photosniper89 on 22 August 2024 22:44
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Has Akamai been discussed at all? Its starting to look like that may be the issue and packet loss.

I did some rudimentary research on Akamai's responsibility for adding latency and packet loss to data transmissions, and it's definitely not an ESO exclusive problem. Many other games and services are hindered by the effect, although curiously, ESO seems to be exceptionally hard hit by the dysfunction. Some sort of synergistic compounding of lag related to the way the Zenimax servers communicate with the Akamai servers, and vice versa.

• Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Around June 18th the Akami routes were no longer in my route to the server. This lasted for a while and it was glorious! Now they are back and so is the skill fire delay, major lag spikes, etc. @ZOS_Kevin maybe you could check with the powers that be and find out why the Akami routes were taken out and see if this can be done again? I am in Texas within cuddle range of the Data Center so there is no "another state" "another country" and such issue with my connection.
    Edited by Seravi on 23 August 2024 13:53
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Akamai has been discussed and conversations with Akamai happen regularly. However, we will bring this up with the team in our next meeting and see if the observations made here can be explored further.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akamai has been discussed and conversations with Akamai happen regularly. However, we will bring this up with the team in our next meeting and see if the observations made here can be explored further.

Glad to see you back in the thread!

I'd be curious to see what the feedback is.

Unrelated - turning shadows off fixed alot of the lag when around azure blight heavy fights so there is something with blight and shadows thats going on in parallel with the akamai packet loss issues.
    Edited by Photosniper89 on 23 August 2024 14:21
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for that. Ideally, ZOS should have an in-house DDoS system that functions as Akamai does, however I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap and I'm not sure the game engine/data transmission system is designed to allow for that type of functionality. Eliminating the middleman seems like it would alleviate some issues.

I'm sure you aren't allowed to go into any sort of detail, Kevin.... but could you give us a safely vague explanation for why Microsoft doesn't stay in-house with Azure for your DDoS protection? Seems logical that using your own processes rather than paying somebody else to do the dirty work for you would be more economical, not to mention having greater control of the protocols and processes themselves.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    I'm sure you aren't allowed to go into any sort of detail, Kevin.... but could you give us a safely vague explanation for why Microsoft doesn't stay in-house with Azure for your DDoS protection? Seems logical that using your own processes rather than paying somebody else to do the dirty work for you would be more economical, not to mention having greater control of the protocols and processes themselves.

That info unfortunately is far above my paygrade. Even if someone shared that info, there is no way I would be allowed to share that.
    Unrelated - turning shadows off fixed alot of the lag when around azure blight heavy fights so there is something with blight and shadows thats going on in parallel with the akamai packet loss issues.

Thanks for the feedback here. Will pass this along as well.

Staff Post
  • Photosniper89
    Photosniper89
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That info unfortunately is far above my paygrade. Even if someone shared that info, there is no way I would be allowed to share that.

Thanks for the feedback here. Will pass this along as well.

To further this problem along - anything we can run on our machines in parallel with the game to help troubleshoot?

I've been running ping plotter when I run ESO and every time I crash or get the 5-10 second rubber band there is a 100% packet loss on the Akamai route. I know I'm just one case but curious if there is anymore info we can gather to drill down why some people have issues with Akamai and others done.

Again, I have had this issue with fiber, starlink, and DLS. All different locations, different routers, different cables, etc so it seems like it's more "location" specific then hardware/isp/firewall specific.