Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Overland Content Feedback Thread

• disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WiseSky wrote: »
    Well I guess I am all caught up with this 200 pages thread then.

Sorry, I don't mean to say that you needed to read the whole thread, I'm just trying to point out that it's not necessary to tie this feature to gear.
    Edited by disky on 21 March 2024 18:16
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    disky wrote: »
    Same arguments, same lack of change. Not much will happen, unless something finally does.
    Nothing will ever change if we stop shouting about it.

I said it very early in the thread, but changing overland is significantly harder than many seem to realize. A blanket fix would not work, fine tuning would be needed with LOTS of that!
    First, I'd love to hear your explanation for why this will be so incredibly difficult as to be prohibitive, when ZOS has allocated resources for projects which seem to have little impact for players relative to their complexity, like Tales of Tribute.

Second, ZOS has said that they don't want to do it because they don't want to alienate players who enjoy the difficulty as it is, but we've been talking about a way to implement it which doesn't affect them. I don't think that implementing it is an issue of difficulty. It's the fear that the perception of this feature could cause backlash before it hits live.

It would be incredibly difficult because a blanket fix wouldn't cover all the special cases. It would need to be tuned in many different areas. A blanket change would not meet the desire nor would it avoid the problems of things like Harrowstorms now.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, I don't mean to say that you needed to read the whole thread, I'm just trying to point out that it's not necessary to tie this feature to gear.

Yes it is. No extra reward would mean few used it.

Look at how few do "hard" overland content now, the ones the mods keep closing and pointing to this thread. (Incorrectly I believe.)
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • EchoesofThunder
    EchoesofThunder
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe do what WoW did? Have a server with a fun version of the game: no CP, no Rube Goldberg sets, no mounts with ridiculous shoulders/colors/flashing lights, no account-wide achievements, maybe no "one tamriel".
  • sharquez
    sharquez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe do what WoW did? Have a server with a fun version of the game: no CP, no Rube Goldberg sets, no mounts with ridiculous shoulders/colors/flashing lights, no account-wide achievements, maybe no "one tamriel".

except all that stuff that's not fun in your book is what makes them money. they arent going to do ESO classic without it making them oodles of cash.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, while I was in the beta I didn't play the commercial ESO release for many years because graphically, it was complete garbage and the gameplay didn't really set it apart from anything already out. WoW got away with it because their game is heavily stylized and the gameplay was good for its time, but ESO doesn't have that luxury, and they've come a long way in the past four years or so. Given that the game really has gotten so much better over time, I think it would be best to move foward.

That being said, they don't need to do it if they implement something similar to what LotRO uses which only affects the player who enables the feature.
    Edited by disky on 31 March 2024 01:21
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be incredibly difficult because a blanket fix wouldn't cover all the special cases. It would need to be tuned in many different areas. A blanket change would not meet the desire nor would it avoid the problems of things like Harrowstorms now.
    Such as?

Look at how few do "hard" overland content now, the ones the mods keep closing and pointing to this thread. (Incorrectly I believe.)
    I don't care about rewards. We were talking about tying increased challenge to a gear set itself. I've said many times that I don't think rewards are necessary and could be a barrier to seeing the feature implemented, but if ZOS wants to include rewards then I'm all for it. I just want to see something happen.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

When people throwing concerns that it's not a dark souls it's indeed just an issue that portrayed here - it's not even elder scrolls thanks to such moments. I see that they want everyone to succeed but we should have an option for a proper encounter, especially as it's not only experienced players issue, but one of the barriers to entry as people won't know that there's a game waiting later on.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Such as?

I don't care about rewards. We were talking about tying increased challenge to a gear set itself. I've said many times that I don't think rewards are necessary and could be a barrier to seeing the feature implemented, but if ZOS wants to include rewards then I'm all for it. I just want to see something happen.

You are the odd one out. Read the much earlier parts of the thread for your answers. A few at least admitted then they would want higher rewards "obviously" for higher struggle.

Tuning is needed since different mobs would impact differently. Just upping damage or lowering defense would not fix the problem or we would have had a solution long ago.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such as?

You are the odd one out. Read the much earlier parts of the thread for your answers. A few at least admitted then they would want higher rewards "obviously" for higher struggle.

Tuning is needed since different mobs would impact differently. Just upping damage or lowering defense would not fix the problem or we would have had a solution long ago.

I recognize that, and I'm sure ZOS (correctly) believes that most of the community expects rewards for voluntarily increasing overland difficulty, but I also believe that if we really want to feel challenged in this game then we're going to have to get over that and ask for change without expectation of rewards. Otherwise, ZOS won't do it because they don't want to upset their casual players.
    Edited by disky on 2 April 2024 23:56
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such as?

I recognize that, and I'm sure ZOS (correctly) believes that most of the community expects rewards for voluntarily increasing overland difficulty, but I also believe that if we really want to feel challenged in this game then we're going to have to get over that and ask for change without expectation of rewards. Otherwise, ZOS won't do it because they don't want to upset their casual players.

And yet Veteran Trials (Summerset onwards) & Arenas have perfected gear, and Veteran dungeons have monster helms.
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such as?

And yet Veteran Trials (Summerset onwards) & Arenas have perfected gear, and Veteran dungeons have monster helms.

Sure, but how many casual players end up in vet trials?
  • Cersenin
    Cersenin
    ✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

ESO questing:
    - quest story = +10
    - combat while questing = -1

This is sad. :(
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Such as?

Sure, but how many casual players end up in vet trials?

And several Vet dungeons have mechanics that can easily wipe Dungeon Finder groups....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Sarovan
    Sarovan
    ✭✭✭
    Once every 6 mths or so, I come back to check this thread to see if I should resub to ESO (I'm in the camp that finds the overland combat mind numbingly boring and easy). I'm not trying to change anyone's mind but just want to point that out to any ESO devs that read this. I'm continuing GW2 and New World for now, the latter has significant problems but I find the combat difficulty just right. GW2 has elite and vet mobs overland.
    I know ESO has harder content but the scaling is off. Either content is super easy solo, or it's impossible solo (mostly, I know some good players and meta builds can do it).
  • Uvi_AUT
    Uvi_AUT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarovan wrote: »
    Once every 6 mths or so, I come back to check this thread to see if I should resub to ESO (I'm in the camp that finds the overland combat mind numbingly boring and easy). I'm not trying to change anyone's mind but just want to point that out to any ESO devs that read this. I'm continuing GW2 and New World for now, the latter has significant problems but I find the combat difficulty just right. GW2 has elite and vet mobs overland.
    I know ESO has harder content but the scaling is off. Either content is super easy solo, or it's impossible solo (mostly, I know some good players and meta builds can do it).

I do that too! I look for this Thread to see if they fixed the mindnumbingly easy Overlandcontent.
    But I dont even see a plan. Am I missing something?
    Registered since 2014, Customer Service lost my Forum-Account and can't find it.....
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7897421/#Comment_7897421

from April 2023 - IIRC that's the last time any staff member addressed this.

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7897421/#Comment_7897421

That was the last full statement but they did give a brief "not happening" in January.

https://massivelyop.com/2024/01/18/elder-scrolls-onlines-gold-road-chapter-takes-players-back-to-oblivions-best-city-on-june-3/
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »

That was the last full statement but they did give a brief "not happening" in January.

https://massivelyop.com/2024/01/18/elder-scrolls-onlines-gold-road-chapter-takes-players-back-to-oblivions-best-city-on-june-3/

Oh, I'd forgotten that - since it's in the bullet points below the Gold Road stuff. Thanks!

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is still such a wild statement to me. It completely ignores the possibility of a per-character solution, as if the only possible way they can implement something like this is if it affects everyone. It doesn't have to. There are obvious alternatives, and while I may not see all of the challenges, it seems to me as though debuffs could take care of this fairly easily.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is still such a wild statement to me. It completely ignores the possibility of a per-character solution, as if the only possible way they can implement something like this is if it affects everyone. It doesn't have to. There are obvious alternatives, and while I may not see all of the challenges, it seems to me as though debuffs could take care of this fairly easily.

For some reason they appear to be adamant it would have to be a big, sweeping, mandatory change or nothing at all. And so, they pick nothing to keep people from quitting. And I just don't understand why we can't just have a smaller, personal solution like most every other game in their own franchise.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 12 April 2024 04:57
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

For some reason they appear to be adamant it would have to be a big, sweeping, mandatory change or nothing at all. And so, they pick nothing to keep people from quitting. And I just don't understand why we can't just have a smaller, personal solution like most every other game in their own franchise.

Guess because they don't feel monetary loss from us, most of us still play, sub or just quietly left with no indication why. There's also their satisfaction with is being in our little corners of dungeons trials or arenas as our main account activities. See no option to make them know what's out problem but this thread, as statistics will be always off because ones who play are forced into overland by events, antiquities, achievement etc.
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And the thing about this quote that drives me up the wall is that Cadwell's Silver and Gold, just like Infinite Archive or Dungeons or Trials, didn't solve the underlying problem. And it's not a surprise that nobody played it because for a lot of people it was just repeating old content. I'm just so baffled over why they continually put forth so much effort in creating alternative content for people who want a challenge when they could just put that same effort into a system that would help players experience the overland game in a way that suits their skill level.

It's not an insurmountable problem. They could do it without alienating their casual audience, but for whatever reason after years of ideas put forth by the community and I assume, their own designers, they either refuse to solve the problem or just can't figure it out.
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but for whatever reason after years of ideas put forth by the community and I assume, their own designers, they either refuse to solve the problem or just can't figure it out.

They have a design philosophy concerning difficulty. It's called "mastery". What that means is they create a range of content that requires different levels of skill, but also practice to complete. Hence the strong reliance of mechanics to keep fights interesting.
    It's not an insurmountable problem. They could do it without alienating their casual audience.

It is for sure much more complicated than 90% of the people here make it seem. Most suggestions do not go beyond the interface (slider, toggle) without any clue as to what that slider should do. Because the moment you start actually thinking about that it suddenly is not obvious at all anymore.

The fact that we share a game world, for instance, already means that the basic layout of the encounters can't change and any difficulty modifiers would have to act on the player only.

Already that makes it highly questionable that any adjustment would make higher difficulty fun. But having isolated that, you then have to consider that even overland comprises comparatively hard and easy content which means the difficulty modifiers would have to vary from one encounter to the next and it may even be necessary to take into account play styles and builds.

I think 'dynamic' encounters, e.g. triggered by and tailored to the player separate from any existing quests, might be a solution. I asked Finn about that at the in-person event and though he said they did have some of that in infinite archive, he seemed less than enthusiastic about putting that in overland.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muizer wrote: »
    but for whatever reason after years of ideas put forth by the community and I assume, their own designers, they either refuse to solve the problem or just can't figure it out.
    They have a design philosophy concerning difficulty. It's called "mastery". What that means is they create a range of content that requires different levels of skill, but also practice to complete. Hence the strong reliance of mechanics to keep fights interesting.
    I don't see how this relates to my point. You can have varying levels of challenge/skill floor within specific content, as they've shown with dungeons and trials. I don't see why overland has to be different, and I've never seen a dev explain why a per-character debuff/slider system couldn't work. Based on the information we have available directly from ZOS themselves, it seems like they either don't want to do it or they're unable to make it happen within their engine, the latter of which seems unlikely to me because they have similar code in other parts of the game.

Muizer wrote: »
    It's not an insurmountable problem. They could do it without alienating their casual audience.

It is for sure much more complicated than 90% of the people here make it seem. Most suggestions do not go beyond the interface (slider, toggle) without any clue as to what that slider should do. Because the moment you start actually thinking about that it suddenly is not obvious at all anymore.

The fact that we share a game world, for instance, already means that the basic layout of the encounters can't change and any difficulty modifiers would have to act on the player only.

Already that makes it highly questionable that any adjustment would make higher difficulty fun. But having isolated that, you then have to consider that even overland comprises comparatively hard and easy content which means the difficulty modifiers would have to vary from one encounter to the next and it may even be necessary to take into account play styles and builds.

I think 'dynamic' encounters, e.g. triggered by and tailored to the player separate from any existing quests, might be a solution. I asked Finn about that at the in-person event and though he said they did have some of that in infinite archive, he seemed less than enthusiastic about putting that in overland.
    I am aware that there might be implementation challenges that I don't see and I said as much in #6142. That being said, we know there is similar code in PvP and we're pretty sure that debuffs are not too hard to implement. I don't see why a debuff can't be applied via either a slider or some diegetic system, like an NPC or food or whatever ZOS decides is the best method. As for the challenge levers themselves, I posted about that in #5952:

Increased:
    - Damage to players
    - Buff/debuff duration/strength from enemies
    - Skills/spells cost
    - Core combat abilities cost
    - Enemy aggro range
    - Guard lethality/detection range

Decreased:
    - Damage from players
    - Buff/debuff duration/strength from players
    - Total attribute values/regeneration
    - Consumable duration/strength
    - Damage shield strength
    - Healing done/taken
    - Movement/mount speed
    - Stealth radius
    - Harvesting/loot values

ZOS could pick and choose from any of these, include others, allow the player to choose which ones they want to enable to greater or lesser challenge/reward, it would be up to them of course. These levers could be applied separately to world bosses or regular mobs although I wouldn't expect that. At this point I'd take just about anything as long as it gives me a sense of accomplishment, but freedom to configure my own challenge would be nice. Play Your Way and all that.

I understand that everything would have to be per-player and couldn't affect enemies directly. Nor should it; casual players should have the freedom to enjoy the game without noticing anything has changed. If you don't think this would be fun, okay, that's your opinion, but respectfully it sounds like you're not interested in seeing this feature implemented anyway. What I have now is a situation which is not enjoyable and I know why it isn't enjoyable. I'm looking for a way to make it more enjoyable before I give up and leave the game like many of my friends have, which doesn't affect anyone else's experience. This is what I've got.

Someone suggested dynamic encounters/ambushes in a previous post, which I also responded to and added to the list in #5952 but I don't see that ever happening. It sounds cool but it also sounds far more complicated than a set of debuffs/sliders/however ZOS would implement this feature. Maybe as a Chapter/DLC feature in the future, though. It sounds like the kind of thing that would be used in a single zone and never again, as ZOS is often wont to do.
    Edited by disky on 12 April 2024 13:16
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Guess because they don't feel monetary loss from us, most of us still play, sub or just quietly left with no indication why. There's also their satisfaction with is being in our little corners of dungeons trials or arenas as our main account activities. See no option to make them know what's out problem but this thread, as statistics will be always off because ones who play are forced into overland by events, antiquities, achievement etc.

I think you're right with this. They simply assume, that most of us complain but won't draw consequences from it.

Well, due to lack of meaningful content (and it's further reduction by purposefully overcrowding locations for several weeks during events) I for myself decided to stop financial support after my remaining days of eso+ are used up.

I'm totally aware of the fact, that the approximately € 450,- I spend on this game per year isn't much. There are better investments for me tho, as zos made it perfectly clear, that they aren't interested in customers like myself.

They said so for themselves in January: Easy mode for dungeons is worth their time, while difficulty options for everyone aren't.
    Edited by Braffin on 12 April 2024 13:33
    Never get between a cat and it's candy!
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. It's not that hard.
  • TheMessengerOfDeath
    The only solution IMO would just add a veteran mode for the overland sorta like warframe did with their steel path setting. You had to complete every planet or something to unlock it and then you could play it. Rich as already said no though so this thread should be closed honestly since they no longer have interest in this.
    Edited by TheMessengerOfDeath on 12 April 2024 14:10
  • disky
    disky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rich as already said no though so this thread should be closed honestly since they no longer have interest in this.

I feel like the fact that the thread remains open is exactly why we should keep hammering. It may be that they simply want a place for people to go and rant in order to keep us out of General, but at the same time, it's the largest thread on the forum if I'm not mistaken. That has to count for something. And there are plenty of good ideas with reasonable discussion as well. If someone from ZOS actually reads this thread, who knows? It might actually make a difference.
  • TheMessengerOfDeath
    Rich as already said no though so this thread should be closed honestly since they no longer have interest in this.

I feel like the fact that the thread remains open is exactly why we should keep hammering. It may be that they simply want a place for people to go and rant in order to keep us out of General, but at the same time, it's the largest thread on the forum if I'm not mistaken. That has to count for something. And there are plenty of good ideas with reasonable discussion as well. If someone from ZOS actually reads this thread, who knows? It might actually make a difference.

The playerbase is the major problem with how vocal they are about not wanting this system. People don’t want hard content they want to be able to 1-3 tap everything and it be dead that way they can complete the zone and be done with it. But even if they get to keep their normal mode then they complain it’s not fair others get increased rewards or incentives to play on a harder difficulty. You can’t win with this player base.

As much I like eso the community will shoot itself in the foot before they accept change even if it’s a good one. Notice how zos never actually push boundaries with any update sure the content is new but it’s meh. It’s because of the outrage and backlash they would receive. How dare they add something new to our perfect game. You can’t win man the community will destroy what’s left of this game as most of the people I play and played with have no intentions of coming back do to it just being boring and stagnant most of us are just waiting for the next mmo that’s actually good. ESO has had 10 years to be good ever update is just meh.
    Edited by TheMessengerOfDeath on 12 April 2024 15:01