The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Introducing Endeavors, A New Way to Acquire Crown Crate Items"

• jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    Quote:
    "This is to ensure that everybody, regardless of their play style, has an opportunity to earn the new currency without having to complete activities they don’t necessarily enjoy."
    End Quote:

what about pvp? everything listed in activities choices was for pve only.

Those were just a few examples. We do intend to make sure all playstyles are included, including PvP.

Yep. There's the "strongly encourage players to get out of their comfort zone" I was expecting.

While I'm glad to hear that PVP players are included, I am not looking forward to the complaints of players who feel "forced" to go into PVP zones or else they'll miss out on their Seals.

But they mention that you will only need to do some of the tasks to max out on the Seals you can earn. Implying that it will probably be very minimal if any "forcing."
    Edited by jaws343 on 15 April 2021 15:32
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    Quote:
    "This is to ensure that everybody, regardless of their play style, has an opportunity to earn the new currency without having to complete activities they don’t necessarily enjoy."
    End Quote:

Those were just a few examples. We do intend to make sure all playstyles are included, including PvP.

Yep. There's the "strongly encourage players to get out of their comfort zone" I was expecting.

While I'm glad to hear that PVP players are included, I am not looking forward to the complaints of players who feel "forced" to go into PVP zones or else they'll miss out on their Seals.

But they mention that you will only need to do some of the tasks to max out on the Seals you can earn. Implying that it will probably be very minimal if any "forcing."

That is even stressed in the article (I marked the relevant part with bold).
    The number of daily or weekly Endeavors you can complete each day or week will vary, so be sure to check what the cap currently is and work out which of the available Endeavors you’d like to take on. This is to ensure that everybody, regardless of their play style, has an opportunity to earn the new currency without having to complete activities they don’t necessarily enjoy.
    The Three Storm Sharks, episode 8 released on january the 8th.
    One mer to rule them all,
    one mer to find them,
    One mer to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them.
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This includes any of the crate’s consumables (such as potions or XP scrolls), pets, cosmetics, or even its extremely rare Radiant Apex mounts.

So does it mean that even old crate seasons will have Radiants available for gems/seals during their next returns?
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    -Sell item to vendor
    -Harvest resources

This is more or less daily login rewards with extra step. Not that I'm complaining, this will probably be stuff I already do, and it's great to be able to earn crate items for free.

We'll have to see what the drop rate for seals are, though. I'm fairly certain the price point will be higher than gems, or they would use the same currency. Maybe they'll tweak things like blue items are cheaper with seals, or one of the apex mounts could be half off as that month's special. Stuff like that.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing addition, one I welcome.

Copied from my discord:

"I'm excited because I rarely ever want something from crates. My bet is one daily will be something to the tune of "kill 250 undead" or "pick 100 pockets" and reward one voucher. That way, if you did just one daily every day, it'd take 400 days to get a radiant mount, and more to get the apex ones. Worth noting they said there's a cap to the number earned, which means more than 1 per day. I'd be comfortable betting on 5 per day, which means that 400 day grind for a radiant mount becomes 80 days, and something like a medium grade cosmetic would be 8 days (maybe 7 if you include a weekly). This assumes 1:1 voucher/gem rates.

So, it prolly won't let you get everything in the crates, but if you only want a few items it'll be fantastic".
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Going to be honest, I'm nearly speechless right now. After years of aggressive monetization and timed marketing tactics, I'm happy and surprised they're giving us the ability to earn some of the most appealing items in-game. It's gestures like this that'll get me to throw more money at the game. Personally, I love content like random dailies and arenas, so I'm excited to see how this play into my gaming style.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Thanks for being engaged in this discussion and answering our questions! This is an exciting development and it's great to get some of the details explained.
    Edited by Destai on 15 April 2021 16:06
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Olauron wrote: »
    Quote:
    End Quote:

The number of daily or weekly Endeavors you can complete each day or week will vary, so be sure to check what the cap currently is and work out which of the available Endeavors you’d like to take on. This is to ensure that everybody, regardless of their play style, has an opportunity to earn the new currency without having to complete activities they don’t necessarily enjoy.

If that's how it actually works out, I'll be delighted.

We'll have to wait to see how many Seals it takes to get certain tiers of items. The higher the amount it takes to buy items, the more cosmetic-focused players are going to feel the push to do all their available dailies/weeklies, even if it means pushing out of their comfort zone. The more you want, the faster you want it, the more this sort of system works on players. The time-limited nature of crown crate seasons only adds to it.

My experience is with Nightwave, where some of the weeklies were hard, some were just time-consuming, and some were just tedious. You didn't have to do all of them to get good rewards, but if you wanted a lot of rewards or if you wanted to be selective about which tasks you did, you found yourself running certain missions just to avoid the worse ones.

I suspect this system is going to be fine for players who are happy to participate in every Event, including Undaunted and Midyear Mayhem. It'll be great for players with lots of extra time to do tasks and do their normal activities. It's the very casual players who're going to feel the crunch of limited dailies/weeklies that they want to do. Players with limited time now have more tasks clamoring for their time.

PVP is a task. There are players looking at that like "Nope. Never gonna do it."

Someone above was suggesting that dungeons, trials, and arenas be added as a task. There are players looking at that like "Whelp, I can kiss those Seals goodbye."

There are even roleplayers who eschew any form of Justice System content. Point is, there are many reasons why players find themselves crunched into a limited amount of tasks that they find enjoyable or that form a normal part of their gameplay, and thus find themselves deciding whether or not to do extra tasks they don't regularly enjoy.

I admit I'm pessimistic because of my experience with Nightwave. Most players who have the time to do tasks and enjoy a broad range of content will probably love this system. I should be in that boat.
    Edited by VaranisArano on 15 April 2021 16:27
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a pretty bored player as for now I'd take any motivation to do various activities that I liked anyway, especially if I'll have a choice here which is suggested by the article.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is another detail that is yet to be revealed. It is almost certain that someone who has a narrow play style will be "forced" out of that play style if the number of daily and weekly quests that align are too few to reach the cap.

I expect that one will not be able to hit any caps by just doing daily writs, or just doing Undaunted dungeons, or just doing Battlegrounds.

The broader your interest in the game, the easier it will be to hit the weekly and daily caps.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see actual numbers of rewards and prices, but I'm so happy to see that there's at least an option to grind instead of paying. I feel more comfortable by spending time on games, than money.
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll reserve my judgments until more has been revealed but this could be a step in the right direction although I'll bet some of those who spend thousands on crates are starting to realize their mistake.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious about a few things, are these tasks Account Based or Character Based?

How about the payoffs, if I get the maximum number of coins on one character, will the rest of them not be offered any tasks?

Will the tasks change every day or will they be static?

Will the daily tasks count against our quest count (even if just while working on them)?

and in response to @VaranisArano , Will there be enough tasks for each account to reach the maximum rewards without leaving our Comfort zone? (On another note, I have been playing ESO and reading these forums since Beta, and nothing will ever stop the complainers, regardless of the facts)
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quote:
    End Quote:

We'll have to wait to see how many Seals it takes to get certain tiers of items. The higher the amount it takes to buy items, the more cosmetic-focused players are going to feel the push to do all their available dailies/weeklies, even if it means pushing out of their comfort zone. The more you want, the faster you want it, the more this sort of system works on players. The time-limited nature of crown crate seasons only adds to it.

I admit I'm pessimistic because of my experience with Nightwave. Most players who have the time to do tasks and enjoy a broad range of content will probably love this system. I should be in that boat.
    Agree, we don't know about the quantity of seals needed. I don't expect it to be low and I don't expect to get a lot of seals (comparing to the cost of the items) in a month.

Still, in the article it is stressed that there will be more Endeavors given than it is possible to complete. While technically 100 given with 99 needed to get a daily (weekly) maximum will be true to description, I don't expect this to be the case. I think that needed for maximum to available ratio will be not so harsh, and as a result there will indeed be a choice of activities. Of course, if somebody wants to skip almost all activities and do only one or two, it is unlikely to give the maximum, but that is extreme of the other side.
    one mer to find them,
  • Olauron
    Olauron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hamfast wrote: »
    I am curious about a few things, are these tasks Account Based or Character Based?
    Looks like account based:
    Endeavors are a system of daily and weekly tasks that are account-bound, which ask you to complete jobs (such as run 2 dungeons, kill 2 Daedra, or steal 10 items) and will reward you with experience, gold, and Seals of Endeavor.
    one mer to find them,
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quote:
    End Quote:

Agree, we don't know about the quantity of seals needed. I don't expect it to be low and I don't expect to get a lot of seals (comparing to the cost of the items) in a month.

Still, in the article it is stressed that there will be more Endeavors given than it is possible to complete. While technically 100 given with 99 needed to get a daily (weekly) maximum will be true to description, I don't expect this to be the case. I think that needed for maximum to available ratio will be not so harsh, and as a result there will indeed be a choice of activities. Of course, if somebody wants to skip almost all activities and do only one or two, it is unlikely to give the maximum, but that is extreme of the other side.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm not expecting to get all the details the moment ZOS announces it.

And as Hamfast says, there will always be complaints. ZOS can't please everyone, and I suspect they'll please a lot of players who have time to spend and who enjoy a wide variety of content.
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hamfast wrote: »
    Looks like account based:
    Endeavors are a system of daily and weekly tasks that are account-bound, which ask you to complete jobs (such as run 2 dungeons, kill 2 Daedra, or steal 10 items) and will reward you with experience, gold, and Seals of Endeavor.

Thank you, the announcement I read (https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/59925) did not have that information.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • MajThorax
    MajThorax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whaaaaaat? Ok let me guess, you need the seals of an entire year to get an apex mount (not radiant)
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MajThorax wrote: »
    Whaaaaaat? Ok let me guess, you need the seals of an entire year to get an apex mount (not radiant)

hopefully just the season, not the year, but curious on this as well
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will still buy stuff I want with crowns without grind

But will save my writs too, it is an amazing addition in any way :)
  • GuildedLilly
    GuildedLilly
    ✭✭✭
    This is AMAZING news!!!! I'm very excited to see how the Endeavors seals currency & tasks work out. Like many other players...I'm waiting to see how many seals will be needed for different tiers of crown crate rewards, and how tedious the tasks and grind is to get them, before getting my hopes up too far. All the same, I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks ZOS
    Grandmaster crafter, alt-o-holic, PC NA/EU, and XB1 NA/EU
  • smdalyb14_ESO
    smdalyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Positive side-effect of the Microsoft acquisition.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really love the idea, especially that this gives some endgame stimulation to do something when you bored and don't know what else to do.

I have just one suggestion. In article there is information:
    Once you’ve reached the daily or weekly cap for completed Endeavors, the remaining ones are then deactivated.
    Why don't try different approach? Maybe after cap you don't disable other Endeavors, but just change rewards for smaller chunks of xp and gold instead (or even small xp only)? You know, it's nothing that you really need and want, so no one will grind all of them every day, but it will be nice to have some more xp just for longer playing :)
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Arictheana
    Arictheana
    ✭✭✭
    As long as the normal crate acquisition and the new ‘buy radiant apex mounts with gems’ stays, I think it’s a nice addition. I don’t like the rng gamble of the crates but I like to be able to get cosmetic items if I don’t have time to play and grind for them. Definitely glad that you aren’t forced to do pve/pvp if you have a preference. I suck at pvp.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WarpedTautAlligatorsnappingturtle-max-1mb.gif
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    qqb7rdguuha6.png
    This is the official discussion thread for the blog article "Introducing Endeavors, A New Way to Acquire Crown Crate Items"

Complete new daily and weekly activities, called Endeavors, and you can earn a new currency to acquire Crown Crate items. Learn about this new system and currency here!
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Are these endeavor currencies tradeable?
    Can we purchase event tickets with these?
    Can we gift items purchased with these?
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the first time in years, I am intrigued by an announcement. Of course, we must always remeber that the devil is always in the details, so I will await to see what this new system entails before giving it praise. If the system is stupidly grindy or filled with achievements that are nigh-unobtainable by anyone who is not on a leaderboard then my enthusiasm will extinguish. Let's hope they get something that genuinely "ticks all the boxes" this time.
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qqb7rdguuha6.png
    This is the official discussion thread for the blog article "Introducing Endeavors, A New Way to Acquire Crown Crate Items"

Complete new daily and weekly activities, called Endeavors, and you can earn a new currency to acquire Crown Crate items. Learn about this new system and currency here!
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

My understanding is that they are an account bound currency and can only be used on items found in crown crates.
    Since they are account bound, like crown gems, anything bought with them will be account bound and not tradable or giftable.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quote:
    End Quote:

But isn’t that on the players? If you’re open to doing something different, which you may or may not like, great! If not, no problem, you just earn the seals more slowly. Maybe you’ll do best to stock up on seals to have ready when something comes out that you want, just like with the system as it has existed it is best to buy many crates from a season you particularly like and then save the gems for things you want from a season you otherwise don’t like as well, etc.

It’s on the player to use these systems and options to maximize their time, money, enjoyment, etc. Will that mean you sometimes miss out? Yes, but ZOS seems to also be rotating things back through the Crown store more now so you may get another chance at it. :)
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qqb7rdguuha6.png

@ZOS_GinaBruno

They're likely to be account bound so I doubt it.
    Since this sounds like it is limited to items in crown crates I find that unlikely too.
    Since items in crown crates aren't giftable in general I again find it unlikely they will be.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quote:
    End Quote:

But isn’t that on the players? If you’re open to doing something different, which you may or may not like, great! If not, no problem, you just earn the seals more slowly. Maybe you’ll do best to stock up on seals to have ready when something comes out that you want, just like with the system as it has existed it is best to buy many crates from a season you particularly like and then save the gems for things you want from a season you otherwise don’t like as well, etc.

It’s on the player to use these systems and options to maximize their time, money, enjoyment, etc. Will that mean you sometimes miss out? Yes, but ZOS seems to also be rotating things back through the Crown store more now so you may get another chance at it. :)

In a lot of ways, yes, managing one's "fear of missing out" is on the players.

That doesn't mean it's particularly pleasant for players when they feel particularly pressured. Witness the many, many complaints from PVE players during Midyear Mayhem and Imperial City events when they feel "forced" to go to a place they hate in order to get the tickets they want very, very much or to go without. Its genuinely unpleasant for them. That's the sort of feeling that systems like these endeavors create for players who're pushed out of their comfort zone. So why does ZOS do MYM and IC if they know some players hate it? Because it serves their purposes to get most players to engage with all the content ESO has to offer. (This isn't the only example. See complaints about housing furnishings locked behind trial achievements, etc. It's endemic whenever people have to get out of their comfort zone to get what they want.)

Who do we put the responsibility on?
    - The players, who must decide how much they want to do and how much to avoid and how to deal with the unpleasant feelings of trying something new vs annoyance of missing out?
    - ZOS, who designed the system in the first place?

I say it's both. Players need to understand that systems like Events and, very likely, Endeavors, are designed by ZOS to strongly encourage them to engage with a wide variety of content to get rewards, regardless of whether they enjoy it or not. It is the responsibility of the player to decide how much they are going to engage with it, and how bitter or not they are going to be when a reward is placed in content they don't like or requires an extensive grind of tasks they find tedious. And I am unwilling to absolve ZOS of their responsibility for the system they created. This system, like Events, serves ZOS' purposes. If they wanted it to be different, they could make it so.
    Edited by VaranisArano on 15 April 2021 20:12