Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Would you still play if ESO went Monthly Subscription

UGotBenched91
UGotBenched91
✭✭✭✭✭
Would you stick around if ESO went for a monthly subscription (let’s say $15.00) fee. By doing so crown store was removed and items were able to be earned in-game.
Edited by UGotBenched91 on 8 August 2020 00:39

Would you still play if ESO went Monthly Subscription 437 votes

Yes
51%
laurajfMagenpieCireousGilvoththeyanceyZardaynecalitrumanb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOdcam86b14_ESOTherylThrudra_Magia Esha76kypranb14_ESOopajSoulshineRDMyers65b14_ESOsarahvhoffb14_ESOssewallb14_ESORedTalonwenchmore420b14_ESO 223 votes
No
36%
weltlichgesinnttheskymovesCaligamy_ESOBigBraggDanikatstevenyaub16_ESOalainjbrennanb16_ESODTStormfoxDaviiid_ESOCaehnCoopersnowcheeseaddictGlurinorion_1981usub17_ESOrollingphoneseb17_ESOSirCriticalMiraslovamikejezzEdaphonOlauron 161 votes
Other (no reason for this but it seems to upset people not to include other because....reasons) :)
12%
Casterialamm7sb14_ESOThorntongueDaveMoeDeeDarcyMardinNebthet78AurielleBRogueNZMalthorneczarSahidomLinaleahStreegaLettigallArcVelarianVevvevSosRuvaaklillybitKatahdinRex-Umbra 53 votes
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (no reason for this but it seems to upset people not to include other because....reasons) :)
    I will resume paying $15/month, happily, when PvP performance is at or equal to what it was during the MYM event.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would ESO+ advantages remain the same? Crafting bag?
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if the $15 subscription came with a functioning Cyrodiil.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No
    A large portion of people already pay for ESO plus. What makes you think they'd change that model when the crown store makes them so much?
  • Thechuckage
    Thechuckage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    At the beginning when that was the only option, sure. Things worked back then, so it was worth it.

If sub only was going to fly, there would have to be severe improvements.

At this point they would be smart to launch ESO 2.0 before all the goodwill is gone.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the crown store for certain things. I'd hate to see it go away completely even if some items are a complete scam/ripoff. It doesn't make the entire store a waste. What would I have to do to earn things in game that are in the store right now? That would be a huge deciding factor for many people and it's not really mentioned here at all.

• volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they technically already do. I wouldn't play this game without ESO plus.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »
    A large portion of people already pay for ESO plus. What makes you think they'd change that model when the crown store makes them so much?

Ummm it’s a hypothetical question.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that what ESO+ is? The evolution stage of the game does not encourage me to spend money to rent digital content and fluid changes that does not often allow me to play the class I started playing in Beta...
  • Daemons_Bane
    Daemons_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I pay it happily now, so yes, nothing would change for me.. As long as I feel that I get my money's worth, I will keep paying
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technically yes. but to elaborate. right now I have a main account and side account. main account is subscribed, side account - is not - and instead that account gets DLC's etc added one at a time (used to be on sale only and nowadays through crown to gold exchange, but ZoS is still getting money here since someone is buying those crowns). if subscription becomes mandatory, I will most likely stay subscribe on my main account, BUT.... side account is going to be abandoned.

while I love love LOVE earning things in game vs buying them. right now, I buy shinies for both main AND side account. with subscription mandatory and no crown shop (never happening, btw, even subscription mandatory games have cash shop nowadays at least in some capacity) - ZoS is going to be getting a lot less money out of me, personaly. and I'm pretty sure that even when it comes to people who only have one account, money spent is going to decrease with mandatory subscription.

ergo. aint happening, folks.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I probably wouldn't. I tend to subscribe for a while and then let my subscription lapse when I need a break. What usually draws me back in is being able to play for free and discovering the game is fun again. If I had to sub to play, I'd probably just buy a new game instead.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    So a lot of comments are saying isn’t that ESO plus?

No, ESO plus is optional. Having a monthly subscription means you have to pay monthly to play the game but by doing so the cash shop doesn’t exist and all items within it would be earn able in game.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably not.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, obviously.

I pre-ordered the game when in was P2P only. That is the game I wanted then.

I wasn’t happy about B2P or any of the Crown based shenanigans. I’m still not.

I’d go back to P2P tomorrow if I could.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I prefer subscription based games (as WoW and RIFT, when I played them). I sub ESO+ on two accounts (considering a third....) because I pay to play a game I love. I love ESO, so I pay cheerfully. I also buy crowns when I find something I want.

I would infinitely prefer a P2P option rather than have people finagle stop-start-stop ESO+.
  • Path
    Path
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I have always paid to play ESO.
    You are welcome.
    Fairy Tales Really Do Come True...Kinda.
  • Eliran
    Eliran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    This game is a big ripoff, I am still waiting for the day they can bring themselves to fix bugs.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, ESO plus is optional. Having a monthly subscription means you have to pay monthly to play the game but by doing so the cash shop doesn’t exist and all items within it would be earn able in game.

cash shop will still exist. you are living in a fantasy world if you think that mandatory subscription = no cash shop.

the only thing you can hope for is majority of the things being earnable in game with fewer things being cash shop only, BUT. cash shop will STILL be there.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I mean, I have ESO+ whenever I'm playing anyway, so this would be a net gain for me.

From a business standpoint, this seems like it'd be completely crazypants for them to do--not just from a "microtransactions make more money" standpoint, but from a "MMORPGs are better with more players and we'd lose all our free players" standpoint.
    Edited by opaj on 8 August 2020 03:16
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    I would so long as the Monthly subscription stayed at 15 dollars cause lets say all player agreed, wait lets just use the available numbers of math that is 58 percent lets do math.
    Monthly is 15 dollars times 8 700 000 (15 million minus 42 percent make the difference between 58 percent and 100 percent).
    130 500 000 is the total in a single month times 12 equals 1 566 000 000 per year thats alot fo money.
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Linaleah wrote: »

cash shop will still exist. you are living in a fantasy world if you think that mandatory subscription = no cash shop.

the only thing you can hope for is majority of the things being earnable in game with fewer things being cash shop only, BUT. cash shop will STILL be there.

Wow....it’s a hypothetical question in which the cash shop is removed upon a monthly fee. I’m not arguing for this to happen.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Yes

Earnable or creation wise would love see clothing be made like you do armor as just clothing, can even go as far as making race based also.
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Entire countries banning clown crates?
  • Daviiid_ESO
    Daviiid_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    No
    if the game worked, sure
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The question is to easy and ignores the economics of the suggestion.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I'm not playing the game dedicatedly right now anyway (and haven't for awhile). The only reason I keep playing is because I can pop in and out as the desire takes me. If I needed to restart my sub and go back to "must play lots to justify paying $" each time I wanted to come back, I wouldn't bother. Just like I eventually fell out of the other sub games I've played.

edit: I subbed for the first ~3 or so months that I played, since it was a New Game for me and I would therefore be spending lots of time with it. I haven't felt the need for ESO+ since then (mid-2016?)

edit 2:
    Would you stick around if ESO went for a monthly subscription (let’s say $15.00) fee. By doing so crown store was removed and items were able to be earned in-game

Being sub-required wouldn't remotely get rid of the Crown Store. There are cash shops in sub-required MMOs, there's no reason why ZOS would drop that revenue stream.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on 8 August 2020 03:44
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »

Wow....it’s a hypothetical question in which the cash shop is removed upon a monthly fee. I’m not arguing for this to happen.

you have stated and i quote "Having a monthly subscription means you have to pay monthly to play the game but by doing so the cash shop doesn’t exist and all items within it would be earn able in game"

all i'm saying is that this is NOT what that means and looking back on history of MMO's - it hasn't really ever meant that. hypothetically or otherwise. the only difference is you can buy cosmetics in a shop now, where it used to be mostly account services.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Entire countries banning clown crates?

which doesn't do anything about direct purchases. crown crates are a fraction of what is sold on a cash shop. should they be banned, all the contents of crates will be sold directly. some - at much higher prices than you'd hope.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and no. Yes: I already subscribe on 2 accounts and I recently bought a third account, which is not currently subscribed (and I’m finding it almost impossible to play without a crafting bag). I’ve been here since the start, when there was no free-to-play option, so I’ve always had at least 1 subscription. The game is worth it.

Regarding my “no” — I like the crown store and don’t want it gone. I never buy crates because I’m not into gambling, but I have bought plenty of other stuff. I have no desire to see the current model replaced with something else. For me, it’s fine the way it is.