The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

18 character slots is not enough.

• Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SeanBlader wrote: »
    LOL, this thread is funny. Back in my day we had one character slot. If you wanted another you had to pay the monthly fee for a second account, there was no free to play.

The game isnt f2p
  • Baertram
    Baertram
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i see no need to increase the character slots, its not a vital part of the game, 18 is more than enough for the majority of players some dont even fill 3, the ppl that do fill 18 mostly use Alts for storage, writs,transmute and event farming, so more out of greed than necessity.

Wrong! I like to play all sort of classes + races + weapon + skills mixtures and the 18 slots are not enough for this.
    You shouldn't argue that you don't need it thus noone needs it.

I'd be glad if I at least got 2 more slots to create my new tank and 1 more dd.
    btw: I'm not using any of my 18 chars as bank or whatever you thought it will be.
    Edited by Baertram on 1 February 2021 17:56
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As said before many times on these forums. Lol

Should have 4 slots per class. So if wanting to do all four roles you can.

Increase it to 24. If don’t want new slots don’t buy them.
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes we need more ! for SURE

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And yes it is a want not a need.

True...and if I got 36 slots for all my accounts....I'd probably use them. Oh and then again on EU
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

And yes it is a want not a need.

True...and if I got 36 slots for all my accounts....I'd probably use them. Oh and then again on EU

Personally I think it would take me quite a while to move from 18 to a new max of 36 characters, if I did so at all.

But I am at the point where I have had 18 characters for around a couple of years now, with at least 3 or 4 new character ideas theory crafted, that I would absolutely love to create, level and experiment with. That process of theory crafting, creating, leveling, farming with new characters is one of the most enjoyable and rewarding there is in ESO, for me at least... but I cant engage with it any longer due to the 18 character limit.

Deleting any of my existing 18 characters really isnt an option, they all have their place, some I play regularly, some less so but I return to them all in time and continue to enjoy the variety. The time, effort, money, achievements, unlocks etc, its not appropriate to have to delete any just to create new characters and enjoy ESO with them. (I have been forced to delete a couple over the years, very reluctantly).

One can only hope Zos expand on this kind of thing to a more reasonable number (36 as a minium).
  • tuxon
    tuxon
    ✭✭✭✭
    For many players it's more than just Healer, Tank, DPS, PvP/PvE. Many people play this game because of "Elder Scrolls" and well there is plenty of characters to make from this perspective.

I have 6 templars and I can make even more. Maybe for some people it's the same but for 2, 3 or all 6 classes.

e.g. (If I had Imperial edition I would have +1 templar and +1 DK for sure)
    Resdayniil kan tarcel
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O_LYKOS wrote: »
    We've had two more each expansion haven't we? How many characters does one need lol

Their love for the game is strong
  • MrZeeck
    MrZeeck
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree, we need more character slots. Wouldn't mind seeing the current number doubled.
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never bought a character slot. I am also full at base game capacity.
    4 playable characters (optimized/grinded) and the rest are mules for carrying items.
    I don't really want to buy more slots just to carry items, please....
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you need more than 18 characters you have serious problems

This ^^

I think if people realised that it’s better to master a single or a couple of characters instead of mindlessly creating loads of characters they would enjoy the game more.
    Edited by Vlad9425 on 11 February 2021 14:56
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »

I think if people realised that it’s better to master a single or a couple of characters instead of mindlessly creating loads of characters they would enjoy the game more.

"Better" is relative to what you want to achieve. I think in an MMO it's important to enable as many people as possible to enjoy the game in a myriad of different ways. If your goal is to complete difficult content or rise to the top of the PvP ranks or get all the achievements on one character, mastering one will be better for you. If your goal is to roleplay 57 combinations of race/class/gender/backstory, or just have a thousand screenshots of your stable of models in various outfits, having one character is not better for this purpose, it's the opposite of what you want.

Those 9000 hours I spent creating, leveling, and playing many, many characters were the total opposite of mindless. Having more slots available for me to fulfil my enjoyment doesn't take away from you having your enjoyment.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to go up to 20 for the new chapter IMO.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vlad9425 wrote: »
    If you need more than 18 characters you have serious problems

This ^^

This fairly large poll sample reveals that there are actually a very large percent of the player base that already or will by now need or appreciate more character slots.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/493216/how-many-characters-do-you-have/p1

Well over half the votes alone have over the standard cap. Over 30+% have 15 or more characters at the time of the poll.

Folks have to bare in mind, having significantly more character slots really isnt an issue in a variety of other MMO genre games out there. This really shouldnt be a big ask.
  • mickeyx
    mickeyx
    ✭✭✭✭
    sheesh, many self-appointed experts talking out their tails about something they are obviously, glaringly ignorant.

this one has 18 characters that are all cp 1150+. 6 stam dps, 6 mag dps, 4 tanks and 2 healers; 1 argonian, 17 khajiit. all are 7 prof master crafters, all are maxed in their class skills, all have finished with main quest, all regularly run normal dungeons and trials, all but one has run vet dungeon and trial content successfully (poor lizard).

Most importantly, each and every one is logged in every day, and each is doing crafting dailies -every day-.

Some asked for legitimate reason why, to which this one says wanting more slots is, in itself, a legitimate reason to at least ask for them, but ok, this one will play along anyway.

This one would very much welcome a few more slots to expand tank roster to cover every class - tanking with sorc is -very- different from tanking with, say, nightblade, for example. While this one is craptastic healer, still he would also enjoy expanding healer roster to every class, for same reason.

"But, silly Karth", you say with a condescending smile, "Just respec your existing characters to follow these other roles."

To these inevitable comments, this one would reply (with gratuitous eye rolling), "It is integral part of this one's gaming experience to develop an actual identity for each of his characters. Their identity revolves around what they do - it is, after all, what we do that defines us, not who we are, yes? Since, unlike other elder scrolls games, this game was built with the concept of classes, which ultimately serve to limit one's capabilities, and since this game's cooperative content usually relies on the restrictive role specialization of "tank, dps, healer" triumvirate, this one would like enough slots to develop distinct identities for each character performing each role with each class. This one is willing to pay for the privilege."

Everytime you say "this one..".

I cringe like hell. But I suggest why stop at 20. Why not ask for 40 or more slots. Make one based on every skin tone and hair style available in game. Thing big.
    Edited by mickeyx on 13 February 2021 06:58
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just to clarify, since there seems to be a lot of confusion:

We're not asking that everyone be required to purchase a full 20/36/40/100/whatever sky is the limit on toon slots that we want them to add. We would never want someone to be REQUIRED to buy more character slots than they need. This thread is about adding more character slots for those of us who want them, but rest assured, no one is going to force anyone else to buy more character slots if they don't want them, so those of you who don't want them can relax.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mickeyx wrote: »

I cringe like hell. But I suggest why stop at 20. Why not ask for 40 or more slots. Make one based on every skin tone and hair style available in game. Thing big.

This one is aware of quite a few threads, with plenty of detailed explanations, that explain why 36 is the minimum threshold for acceptable character slots, because this allows a player to have every class with a variant for each of dps, healz, tonk and pvp, in both mag and stam.

What makes so many peoples want to argue against others having more character slots to enjoy, after all its only similar to what is available in other MMOs with 50 or 100 character slots!?

Why do some care so much about other people not being able to enjoy the game the way they like... what is driving that kind of wish to negatively impact other peoples enjoyment?

This one thinks humans can be strange.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This one is aware of quite a few threads, with plenty of detailed explanations, that explain why 36 is the minimum threshold for acceptable character slots, because this allows a player to have every class with a variant for each of dps, healz, tonk and pvp, in both mag and stam.

What makes so many peoples want to argue against others having more character slots to enjoy, after all its only similar to what is available in other MMOs with 50 or 100 character slots!?

Why do some care so much about other people not being able to enjoy the game the way they like... what is driving that kind of wish to negatively impact other peoples enjoyment?

It isn't so much that people are arguing against it. We are all playing the same game. We are all impacted by changes. If ZOS focuses on one thing, that means resources not working on another. It makes sense for people to state "this is not important to me" for things they don't feel are needed. If upping characters were to lead to a 2% decrease in performance in some operation, players would be wise to indicate that they don't think the feature would be worth the cost.

Personally, I like more slots. But if I knew the actually performance costs, I might change my opinion.
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, Blackwood will add a new base tutorial from which you can access all other chapter beginnings.
    It seems to be set on the isle of Balfiera in the Adamantine Tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQpIROS6TiU

So, because I have 18 characters, I won't be able to visit this incredible historical landmark, the oldest building on Nirn.
    That doesn't seem fair. Every chapter should add at least 1 new char slot, imo.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aptonoth wrote: »
    This game has been going for years at this point and character slots are getting tight. Can we please get a big slot increase? Even an additional 2 would go a long ways. It doesn’t seem to be ending any time soon either.

buy an additional account. it's actually less expensive than buying all those character slots... also you have the added benefit of your main account providing awesome logistical support for your new account..
    Edited by linuxlady on 17 February 2021 20:42
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    linuxlady wrote: »
    This game has been going for years at this point and character slots are getting tight. Can we please get a big slot increase? Even an additional 2 would go a long ways. It doesn’t seem to be ending any time soon either.

buy an additional account. it's actually less expensive than buying all those character slots... also you have the added benefit of your main account providing awesome logistical support for your new account..

Other than monney your better off with more character slot as much more chan be shared
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only managed to fill 11 slots so far, but I would love for people to have the ability to make more characters if they wanted. It's also a benefit for the players who don't want/need more character slots. The players who want more character slots will be potentially playing the game more which will include needing to run dungeons again, battlegrounds, etc. These players may also be more likely to purchase additional crown store stuff to outfit their new toons.

All of that plus the fact most of those additional character slots would be yet more revenue for ZOS which helps all of us. I can't see a downside to this ask.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Not cheaper. My crowns from subbing are useless. Character slots are all I use them on since I have the 2 assistants. I still have 46k crowns doing nothing for me.

And another account doesn't share a bank. Transferring things is really annoying. They don't share a crafting bag. They don't share ESO Plus.

I do have a second account I got for a few bucks, but I only really use it to bounce mail in emergencies.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on 18 February 2021 02:34
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭

Other than monney your better off with more character slot as much more chan be shared

i have two accounts each cp900 with a 9 trait crafter and 10 toons on each on eu server. its doable but maybe not again with the new cp system...
    Edited by linuxlady on 18 February 2021 03:34
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

It isn't so much that people are arguing against it. We are all playing the same game. We are all impacted by changes. If ZOS focuses on one thing, that means resources not working on another. It makes sense for people to state "this is not important to me" for things they don't feel are needed. If upping characters were to lead to a 2% decrease in performance in some operation, players would be wise to indicate that they don't think the feature would be worth the cost.

Personally, I like more slots. But if I knew the actually performance costs, I might change my opinion.

There should be zero performance issues related to additional character slots. The data is held on ZOS servers centrally, and loading in a players character should take the same amount of processing/memory/transfer etc as it does now. So it seems the main issue is ZOS storage of said data, but it seems to me that is about as simple an IT issue as you can get to resolve.

Other games seem to manage it fine. Given ESO is one of the most successful and profitable MMOs on the market, I do not really take cited issues of performance seriously, while other games are providing 50 or 100 character slots!

And my final point is, reasonable folk like Dave are not what I was referring to, but we can see a number of comments across these kinds of threads, with folk commenting who seem genuinely annoyed or critical about how others play the game using multiple characters and thus need more slots.
  • alcoraptor
    alcoraptor
    ✭✭✭
    There should be zero performance issues related to additional character slots. The data is held on ZOS servers centrally, and loading in a players character should take the same amount of processing/memory/transfer etc as it does now. So it seems the main issue is ZOS storage of said data, but it seems to me that is about as simple an IT issue as you can get to resolve..

That's not the case though. Character data is stored in databases, and there is not just the "1s and 0s" to consider.

Database performance deteriorates (due to data indexing and query cost) as there are more entries in it, and this is something that ZoS has most definitely got issues with (look how long it takes the requesting character load step to complete at the moment, and various past emergency maintenances). They have also acknowledged they are actively looking into at the moment with the Cold Storage, but this has not been completed yet.

When you consider how much data is associated with each character (quests, inventory, motifs, achievements etc etc), there is a huge amount of potential data associated with each character.

Much as I would love more slots (I currently have 18 toons, and don't feel that it's enough), I don't support it at the expense of game performance. I also think it's unlikely in the near future - otherwise ZoS would be doing it more often (we all know how much they like selling crowns)
    Praise Vivec! You were there to stop Alexandra Conele from capturing the coral heart!
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the character creator and exploring characters so for this reason alone the ability to make more characters would be good. Eighteen is okay and I understand the reasons for it because they all have to be stored but if the default starting characters was raised by 5 I wouldn't complain.
  • Vinterskald
    Vinterskald
    ✭✭✭
    An increase of the cap is something I really really hope for, and it makes me sad we didn't get a single additional slot with Greymoor. There's three more characters I'd really want to make, two of those unique builds I've never tried out on either server, and it frustrates me that it's just not possible. (plus, me buying those additional slots and then some cosmetics for those characters would be desirable for Zenimax, no?...)

I sadly don't see it happening unless they introduce a new class (and even then I can only see them giving us a single additional slot), but with the server upgrade they announced, I do have a tiny bit of hope.
    Barra agea ry sou karan.
  • tenryuta
    tenryuta
    ✭✭✭
    6 classes, 2 genders, and whatever race, ive used 7 slots(templar and second NB are in the dunce chair), all altmer, the dunce Chihuahua nb, everyone else fanged and sparkly like twilight.
  • linuxlady
    linuxlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    20 is a good even number