Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Flying mounts for new zones. Yay or nay?

• Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    I want a mount that can cross ankle deep water before one that can fly!
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Megatto
    Megatto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    For the people saying, never will happen. Buying skyshards and maxing skill lines in crown store was also a "never will happen".

You can't even compare the two. Some people... smh
    Remove loot boxes or riot
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    How many times does this ridiculous idea have to be shot down, I wonder?

yqqc8t57vod01.gif
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    2v16q2t.jpg

Neigh..
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlike WoW, ESO is actually easy and quick to navigate through the use of wayshrines, mounts and rapids. WoW's zones span for miles, and unless you're going to a major city, you can't really portal there.
    Flying really is not needed in ESO. I think it'd just be wasted development time as you'd spend literally seconds in the air before you reach your destination.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    todokete wrote: »
    It's possible in Skyrim so it's not against the lore.

I dont recall any flying mounts in Skyrim? Care to elaborate?

• Androconium
    Androconium
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    "It's possible in Skyrim so it's not agains the lore." Well go play Skyrim then, because I don't think you get "the lore".

"Mournhold - City of light; City of Magic" -
    Unless you want to use levitation spells and potions, or your Wizard's Staff.

lore is bendable, like light.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vizikul wrote: »
    idk wrote: »
    I understand some are new to the game or do not keep track of information coming from Zos so I will repeat their message.

There will never be flying mounts in ESO. Never. They did not design the game for flying mounts and it would take a lot of work to put the missing axis into the game. They do not think the effort it worth it.

Rich Lambert also said there would never be dragons in ESO... and 5 years later ESO has dragons. Their words do not have much value.

There is a big difference. There is not an axis to make flying mounts possible. It would cost a huge sum of money and a lot of time to make such an unsubstantial thing possible.

So yea, we can easily have a high degree of probability that this is one thing Zos will keep their word on.
  • Fermian
    Fermian
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    Im against flying mounts. It just ruins the gaming experience.

But for every proposed change you get the argument the game is not designed for this. Well WoW was also not designed for flying.
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nay
    I would much more prefer underwater content. :wink:

[Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    blkjag wrote: »
    It’s crazy people ask for this kind of thing. Are we playing the same game? Do you not experience the blue screens/ crashes and lag like everyone else? They have three huge flying dragons in Elsweyr and that just about broke the game. Now imagine how awful this game would be if everyone could fly.....

No my game is fine
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fermian wrote: »

But for every proposed change you get the argument the game is not designed for this. Well WoW was also not designed for flying.

True. I can see having them in poorly designed Zones such as FF and WoW have but not needed here. There is a reason we play ESO and not those lame games.
  • todokete
    todokete
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    idk wrote: »
    Fermian wrote: »

True. I can see having them in poorly designed Zones such as FF and WoW have but not needed here. There is a reason we play ESO and not those lame games.

This is just not true
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I originally voted yes for flying mounts as a twitch reflex, having experienced flying mounts in another game. Having thought about it for all of three seconds, I have changed my mind as it would not work in this game for several reasons.

1. The map is divided into smallish zones with loading screens between each one.

2. ZOS cannot deal with normal overland performance, let alone the concept of aerial flight.

3. There is no need for flying mounts due to teleportation, and a wayshrine is never more than a very short ride away. Less than that if you don’t mind paying a few gold to port directly to your destination wayshrine.

4. If you own a network of houses, you can bypass wayshrines...although there might be a longer ride to your final destination.

5. See reason no.2.....whether due to ZOS’ game engine or their inability for other reasons to deliver a stable flying mount system, the whole shebang would be a disaster.

But I do fondly recall the gryphons we earned in Vanguard SoH. The world was huge and seamless, and flying mounts were able to travel anywhere. Acquiring a flying mount was a very long and difficult endgame quest line, for which a good group was compulsory. It was also massive fun, a great challenge, took weeks to complete and gave everyone a huge sense of achievement.....not to mention the awesome gryphon by which you could reach previously unreachable places.

And for anybody who did acquire a Vanguard flying mount, do you remember Akande the Butcher? Possibly the hardest boss in the quest line. But Vanguard was a game renowned for hard bosses. Even the most minor trash mobs in APW (the raiding dungeon which took anything up to a year to complete) required strategies.

They don’t make games like that these days.
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as it doesn't affect game performance then sure why not.
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    At least the OP added an option I could click on. :)
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    I think it could be fun if ZOS designed a zone where you needed flight to get around like fighting dragons in their realm but I don't think it is worth wasting limited resources on adding it to the rest of the game. As mentioned by others I would rather see underwater abilities or fixing basic stuff like all movement stopping at an invisible curb or water line.
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    Vlad9425 wrote: »

I guess that statement makes you a "nay" voter. :p
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watchdog wrote: »
    Vlad9425 wrote: »

I guess that statement makes you a "nay" voter. :p

Guess so :/
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nay
    Game is not designed from start for flying. If they could do new content with flying without rupturing the game engine non-fly old content would be either really annoying in contrast or total waste. Better make a new game with flying, new cash shop and ever leechier monetization of everything.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nay
    Not that into it. I played Aion for a while and glided enough. I agree I'd rather have mounts that can wade through water. :)
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • baltic1284
    baltic1284
    ✭✭✭
    Nay
    For two main reasons THIS ISNT WOW, coping WOW cause you know they had some 13 million players at one point or more doesn't make theme successful look what happened when they started ignoring the player base and bugs and issues. Wait sounds familiar 64 reports of the same bug and counting
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    I mean, the game can barely handle a player riding a mount properly. Usually it just opts to have you run on top of it. I can't imagine adding another factor to that.
  • RoyalPink06
    RoyalPink06
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play ffxiv if you want flying mounts or underwater adventuring. Square Enix got both right.
    NA PS4
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    No thanks.

Flying mounts would be a huge hassle... it would mean much, Much MUCH laggier zones, because they would need to calculate a new axis for -everyone-, and for every invisible wall and zone switch area, it would mean completely rethinking cyrodil for them, it would mean they need to add a LOT of stuff to keep the persepctive intact when players can look at the horizon from on high, so... it would mean a -huge- redoing of the game and for what? Not enough.

If anything, I would like -floating- mounts. That behave like normal mounts, but with a "floating a foot above the ground" animation... mostly magical stuff like floating carpets, floating broomsticks, floating thrones, floating clouds, floating driftdisks, floating meditation mats, etc.
    Perhaps even a floating bat swarm for vampires, if they can make a mount "vampire only"

And then... perhaps give mounts a fourth stat to train? "Preservance", that allows them to ride/wade/swim through deeper water for a couple seconds (depending on how high it is) without going "poof"? I really, really hate it if a puddle is -just- deep enough to unmount my characters...

The only -decent- suggestion about flying mounts I ever say was the idea of crown store special transportation items: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/433317/suggestion-flying-mount-solution/p1
    As I noted back then:
    Suggested Item:
    New Collection Tab: Flying Mounts

Item Function:
    Allows the player to travel for free, at all times, to a known wayshrine...
    That... actually would be a pretty neat and functional way to implement flying mounts. Just as "taxi service" to wayshrines... none of the troubles with -actually- flying...
    Not like the same function isn't already in the game for a small amount of gold (to buy spell components for the teleport spell I presume)

But also, there would not be many "flying mounts" without smashing the lore to bits (sorry, dragon-lovers, this ain't skyrim), but a tamed gryphon or cliff racer... I could see that.

The same function could also be assigned to a "magic effect" too. Like, owning a "psijic portal wand" or similar and using "enter portal" animations to pop away and out near the waysshrine of your choice... similar to the scrying stuff, just with a "step through"...
    724584_scr2_a.png
    Well, or any other flavor of portal, anyhow. Not like there aren't enough portal-slinging mages around ESOs NPCs, right? So it could be available in numerous flavors - psijic portal, mages portal, deadric portal, etc.
    400px-ESO_Portal_in_eine_Taschenebene.jpg
    400px-ESO_Portal_to_the_Shivering_Islesr.jpg

And then... there could also be a consumable scroll that allows the same - but not pop to a wayshrine, but to a friendly transitus shrine instead! Which people could buy with AP to get to a siege quickly from some far off corner of cyrodil (Yes, that one -should- allow teleport to a castle under siege - since it would be a consumable, and it might be a pricy one at that)
    Edited by TheShadowScout on 14 January 2020 09:58
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nay
    ZOS has a hard time just getting the normal stuff to work, (ie. skill bar swapping, in combat bug, etc.) and you'd expect them to get flying mounts to work. They've got a long ways to go before they can try flying mounts.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • ZeroXFF
    ZeroXFF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay
    I'd prefer levitation spells and potions over flying mounts. But I'd take mounts over nothing.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just go back to WoW
    ... yet another suggestion to further depopulate overland.

No.

Bring back levitation spells first. Then we’ll talk.
    Edited by Iluvrien on 21 July 2019 12:55