Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are ads actually going to be in game?

• Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    alexkdd99 wrote: »
    Khaos_Bane wrote: »
    yodased wrote: »
    long string

I hate it when Companies give your email address to others and make a profit off of it. FU ZoS

1bqu15.jpg

Mock all you want, it's not right that any Company make money off of your personal information without being compensated for it. Especially and email address that will involve receiving more spam.

getting more money equals more content in game, if that's not compensation, than I dunno what it is

and, that image was a joke :/

IMO, it is NOT acceptable to force your customers to agree to selling their personal information for profit or to make more content. I pay them 15$ a month so they don't do stuff like this. It's disgusting.

Now I will definitely drop my subscription.

Ummmm don't give them your email? Use a seperate email for things such as this. Did you not see where you can opt out? Out of all the things one could be upset with you pick this?

This is pretty BS. Typically, paid services don't use your personal information to make money. That revenue model is reserved for F2P games and free services (like social media).

It smells to me like they are going F2P with this game soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9R9kcOO8f4
  • zulikab14_ESO
    zulikab14_ESO
    ✭✭
    You might as well get something to watch during your loading screens. In a days play you could probably watch a movie with that time. So enjoy your Sham Wow infotainment.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ereboz wrote: »
    So all this talk about third party marketing. What exactly does this mean? Will there actually be ads in game? Or just on website and launcher screen? If there's ads popping up while I'm playing, I have may have to make the incredibly painful and sad decision to leave Tamriel

I don't think eso will have ads... I am rather thinking it is a preparation to allow 3rd party companies (or even users, just like steam workshop works) to create "new stuff" for the crown store.
  • GwJSVDShark
    GwJSVDShark
    ✭✭✭
    I love Tamriel!

Brought to you by Carl's Junior

Exploring is my thing

hey any one for a dolmen run?

• MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is ***. unless we the consumer- see some benefit- this is a sell out if true.

we re gonna have the walmart staff of frost and armour will come in impen, divines and ***.
    Edited by MakoFore on 21 March 2017 00:45
  • olivesforge
    olivesforge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am taking particular pleasure in people writing here on the forums about how horrible this is, considering that everyone on the forums already gave Zenimax the right to sell our information when we signed up to comment.

I mean, did people forget to actually read the disclosures before they signed up for the forums?!? Surely not!
    PCNA | Aldmeri Dominion
    OlivesForge / Swiss Army Templar | Twink of Insanity / Gankblade | Olivesisnotonfire / Annoying Sorc | E. Angus / Magicka Pigeon-Thrower | K. Angus / Stamina Pigeon-Thrower
    Personage of note in:
    Dominant Dominion | Ethereal Traders Union | Knights of the Istari | CoC | Cyrodiil FG
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2ghravbjrzs3zey.jpg
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I admit it... I love these goofy pictures you guys are making with the product placement. Keep them coming!

The only time I've ever been entertained by marketing.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »
    2ghravbjrzs3zey.jpg

You could of at least plugged the McRib since it's the best sammich in the world and limited time only .
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Betheny wrote: »
    2ghravbjrzs3zey.jpg

You could of at least plugged the McRib since it's the best sammich in the world and limited time only .

Great. Now they're gonna add McRibs to the Crown Crates. :(
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    LOL at people actually thinking we'll see ads IN-GAME :joy:
    Edited by andreasranasen on 21 March 2017 02:12
    #VMATOKENSYSTEM #WEAPONDYE #TRAITCHANGE #CROWNCRATELOVER
    • Alliance/Platform: Aldemerii - PS4/NA - CP 800+
    • Mag Sorc: Arya Rosendahl - Altmer - Highelf
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Valchou... brought to you by the Hircine Club for Men
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Probably just going to use the DOB info to sell to third party companies to figure out what kind of demographic they have and just get some general background info. Wouldn't be surprised if there was some spam emails regarding Bethesda products or stuff for other games from developers who are linked to Bethesda.
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bet its movies and music, they simply cant have enough data to make specific ads for all of us.

MMORPG genre has actually spoken alot about this kind of stuff, well like 5 year ago but still, gerne is going F2P, the ads are gonna come too. At least Im not surprised.

Oh wait, maybe they start to advertise their own stuff, what they sell in Bethesda Store.
    Edited by Sausage on 21 March 2017 06:21
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Enteum wrote: »
    So, ZOS will be selling our personal data in order to make bank? If this really is the case then...
    They're just like every other company out there.

Not true.

Paid services typically don't rely on ad revenue to make money. That *** is reserved for free services (think F2P games, social media, etc.)

You might want to to go and recheck some of your privacy statements.

Paying or not paying for a service isn't what sets this up, it's all down the the greed vs morals.

Still this makes for some interesting forums posting at least. A change from hearing about magicka sorcs.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If this is true then this is disgusting.
    Also they recently won a lawsuit of 500 million dollars against oculus rift. I won't tolerate this kind of ***, the greed has gotten into your head.
    Edited by JinMori on 21 March 2017 08:09
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »
    Aldo they recently won a lawsuit of 500 million dollars against oculus rift. I won't tolerate this kind of ***, the greed has gotten into your head.

You must be new to how the world in corporations works, especially if they're US corporations.
    Edited by Turelus on 21 March 2017 08:08
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Agalloch
    Agalloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the ads will come in the game...the random loading screens will increase.

Also I don't understand why ads will come to a not free to play game.

I played lots of mmos in the last 20 years ...but didn't see ads in a AAA title.

English is not my native language.
    Edited by Agalloch on 21 March 2017 09:35
  • Blacksmoke
    Blacksmoke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course not :'D
    Champion point: 645
    Characters
    Ganlian Stormian - AD - Dungeon healer - Templar - Crafter
    Ondaril Stormian - AD - Trail DPS - Sorcerer
    Shagrod gro-Bolmog - AD - PVP - Dragonknight
  • Lettigall
    Lettigall
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darien Gautier!
    Brought to you by Durex!
    Put a shield on your hero, then enter the dungeon!
    NDvfGKI.jpg
    Edited by Lettigall on 21 March 2017 11:02
    Some men just want to watch the world burn... I just want a cold beer!
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is pretty BS. Typically, paid services don't use your personal information to make money. That revenue model is reserved for F2P games and free services (like social media).
    Sorry, but this is inaccurate. Quite the opposite is true: paid services will be the first to sell information, not the last. They started it.

Data mining is a trillion dollar business globally. Ad revenue is just a small piece of this. Information is sold so frequently, it's impacting things people do every day. Oddly, people get upset when they hear the NSA may be spying on them, but little do they consider their grocery store has been selling their purchase history for decades (moreso if you use their store card).
    It smells to me like they are going F2P with this game soon.
    It already is F2P, if you think about it. Sure, there's an initial buy-in of the purchase price, but this is sort of the problem. When ZoS negated the sub, millions are playing for free, which puts a revenue stress on those who "pay to play".

Seeing ZoS reach out for additional revenue isn't anything any other company isn't doing.

If you're a gamer, your information has been sold for many years. Why just be upset over ZoS about it? It makes no sense.

• Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    JinMori wrote: »
    Aldo they recently won a lawsuit of 500 million dollars against oculus rift. I won't tolerate this kind of ***, the greed has gotten into your head.

You must be new to how the world in corporations works, especially if they're US corporations.

Im pretty sure this has nothing to do with Zen itself, well at least not entirely. If you know in what kind of shape MMORPG genre is, tons of games needs extra revenue streams and ADs might be the one. Good example is Funcom, its almost dead and its one of the major players in the genre, or Trion Worlds, will we ever see another Trion World game? Or was Rift way too big failure financially. At least I approve this move, if this improves the MMORPG genre as whole.

Shortly said, F2P and ADs would save tons of online/MMO games.
    Edited by Sausage on 21 March 2017 13:53
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Too far, ZoS.

Ya Gon! Unsubbed. Off to other games.

I hope they are not mobile, or facebook games, please do not order anything off Amazon as well... omg me writing this is leaving my digital footprint....

Please, the over reaction and knee jerk is sad. I am sorry, but you have been giving your information away for years.

You are probably going to be stuck with Minefield and Solitaire.

Ahh...the "everyone is doing it, just relax" argument (which is a bs argument). Keep rolling with that. If this is where games are going, then yes, maybe I'll just play solitaire... or ***, maybe I'll go outside.

Thanks for your input though. Very insightful.

@FortheloveofKrist

Its not a BS argument. This has been going on for years on the interwebs. I am sorry you are so upset about it. You ever put your CC online? You ever order anything online? Guess what? They have that information. Online banking? Yep, your information has to go somewhere.

Sorry you do not find it very "insightful", but just the reactions of screaming unsubbed with no logical thought behind or knowing you have been giving your information out for years is not good either.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it is going to be ingame ads. The crown store has been a huge success. It probably just allows them to share that data with people that want to pay for it.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Ozstryker
    Ozstryker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been playing games, googling using Amazon, compare sites yada yada for years... "They" already know all they need to, I've already handed the advertising world my soul...... Hell, they are probably watching me fap right now!
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the data collection it is necessary yes.

That way khajiit can produce an accurate list of who they have been naughty and who they have been so nice in time for next Fishmas.

So far you are all very naughty.

Yours with paws - and a list
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This stuff never ends well for the consumer. There is nothing else left to be said. Some will blindly defend ZOS, some will openly critize ZOS....I'll do neither.

At the end of the day, this is just another instance on the erosion of consumer rights...and that's just a shame.
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Whatelse73b14_ESO
    Whatelse73b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you live in a cabin in the woods without electricity, your information is being shared. And even if you do, your information was shared about you. "This guy lives in a cabin in the woods, so try marketing wilderness equipment to him." Brought to you by carl's jr, brought to you by carl's jr, brought to you by carl's jr. (Because they give me money everytime I say it!)

If you go to certain websites, you will see adds targeting you that have nothing to do with the website you're on. Why? Because they've seen what you have bought in the past and/or been interested in. Lots of ways they gather that information. Just the way of the world these days.

At the end of the day, brought to you by carl's jr, just opt out. Eventhough google will know you play ESO and advertise to you anyway, so will facebook.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually wouldn't mind this at all, as long as they're not shoved in my face.