Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are ads actually going to be in game?

• Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khaos_Bane wrote: »
    yodased wrote: »
    long string

I hate it when Companies give your email address to others and make a profit off of it. FU ZoS

1bqu15.jpg

Mock all you want, it's not right that any Company make money off of your personal information without being compensated for it. Especially and email address that will involve receiving more spam.

• ifDoubtNerfIt
    ifDoubtNerfIt
    ✭✭✭
    long string

I hate it when Companies give your email address to others and make a profit off of it. FU ZoS

1bqu15.jpg

Mock all you want, it's not right that any Company make money off of your personal information without being compensated for it. Especially and email address that will involve receiving more spam.

getting more money equals more content in game, if that's not compensation, than I dunno what it is

and, that image was a joke :/

EDIT: every email service (google inbox) has a spam filter, so you will not even notice the spam
    Edited by ifDoubtNerfIt on 20 March 2017 17:10
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

getting more money equals more content in game, if that's not compensation, than I dunno what it is

IMO, it is NOT acceptable to force your customers to agree to selling their personal information for profit or to make more content. I pay them 15$ a month so they don't do stuff like this. It's disgusting.

Now I will definitely drop my subscription.
    Edited by Khaos_Bane on 20 March 2017 17:12
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recover the stolen Tinactin from fungal grotto for bonus loots! My body is ready!
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm used to this sort of thing from the free online services I use and understand that the free sites have got to support themselves somehow, but now it's being added to a game I pay to play? Someone please get me a tin foil hat, I'm thinking F2P base game must be coming soon.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • ifDoubtNerfIt
    ifDoubtNerfIt
    ✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

IMO, it is NOT acceptable to force your customers to agree to selling their personal information for profit or to make more content. I pay them 15$ a month so they don't do stuff like this. It's disgusting.

Nobody is forcing you on anything, especially on paying for ESO+, that's your free will tbh
    You can always quit the game and you got the 'Right to be forgotten'
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

Nobody is forcing you on anything, especially on paying for ESO+, that's your free will tbh
    You can always quit the game and you got the 'Right to be forgotten'

Of course, I am well aware of my options kid. I said I think it's wrong and just told you they aren't getting 15$ a month from me now.

Edited by Khaos_Bane on 20 March 2017 17:37
  • cjthibs
    cjthibs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe my classical liberal is showing here...but why is it suddenly acceptable to sell the information of a paying consumer?

I can understand this sort of thing on a free website, but paying for a service only to have the company providing that service turn around and sell my privacy to another company?

If money is becoming an issue, despite your lottery boxes and cash shop, despite your paid subscription and crown sales, even with preorders open for a new paid DLC, maybe it's time to rethink what you're doing?

If suddenly violating our privacy for cash is an acceptable option...is this a sign of things to come? Freemium incoming? Moving of all premium items to lottery boxes a la SWTOR?

I've sent my opt-out e-mail already, but this is concerning.
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend anyone that has run the patch update to actually read the TOS that pops up on the first log.
    They won't be putting ads in the game, but ZOS can now sell your personal information to 3rd party advertisers.

So, if I were you I would unlink any social network account you have from ZeniMax.

Yay, I have ignored my Facebook page for about 7 years now, and I set it up about 7 1/2 years ago. So, if they want to advertise to me on facebook, go ahead. I ain't listening.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enteum wrote: »
    So, ZOS will be selling our personal data in order to make bank? If this really is the case then...
    They're just like every other company out there.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • wolfdoggie_ESO
    wolfdoggie_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Ads are scary. Are we going to die? :(
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ads are scary. Are we going to die? :(
    The 8 ball wasn't very helpful.
    zn0m53.png
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I didn't read any of this but I can tell you it defiantly says in game advertising and selling of all my personal data.

I've unsubbed all seven of my accounts and will not give ZOS another penny!

Seven? :|
    CP2,000 Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    I didn't read any of this but I can tell you it defiantly says in game advertising and selling of all my personal data.

I've unsubbed all seven of my accounts and will not give ZOS another penny!

Seven? :|
    Tis a joke, I only have one.

OId EVE Online joke where people have multiple accounts often, when someone rage quits they threaten to unsub all x number of their accounts (I have three there, but only pay for one now).
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

Can I have your stuff?

But on a less trollish note: Did you read that there is an opt out choice? I posted the email to opt out right on the first page of this thread. More information, less rage pls.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For example, we may work with Facebook (see their privacy policy, and ad preferences page) to display targeted ads to you in Facebook. We may also work with others, such as Google Ads and DoubleClick (see their privacy policy, and ad preferences page), and Weborama (see their privacy policy and opt out page), to display ads to you on other third party sites, based on your use of our products, activities on our sites and services, or other interactions with us.

We may also, unless you have opted out, share certain information (such as your email address) with these and other third parties to assist them in better targeting our users within their services; you can opt-out of our sharing your personal information to target you this way by emailing us at ads@zenimax.com.

We will process your opt out in a reasonable amount of time; please note, that your opt out is only effective on a going-forward basis and not with respect to any information we have previously shared for these purposes. As noted above, you may also control how Google, Facebook and other third parties display certain ads to you, as explained further in their respective privacy policies and ad preferences pages.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yup. Walking around Wayrest you will see a Mountain Dew billboard attached to the castle. Vendors selling Doritos and Hot Pockets.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If they start in-game advertising I better get my big ass USMC housing sticker, 14 American flags and a new Lady Liberty polymorph.
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

Do you honestly think ZoS is the only company? Facebook and Amazon do. Good lord. I am all out of my tin foil, does anyone else have any?
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are all acting like this hasn't happened before. Facebook does this all the time. Other games do this too. ZOS is just getting with the times.
  • Khaos_Bane
    Khaos_Bane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

Do you honestly think ZoS is the only company? Facebook and Amazon do. Good lord. I am all out of my tin foil, does anyone else have any?

You need to read up on what tin foil hat actually means I believe. No I am not OK with them selling my personal information, especially identifiable information and information that generates spam. Typically, when people get used for profit they get some of that profit but we are essentially paying for a product and GIVING them information for free.

I'm not sure why you are ok with it "because other Companies do it" that is perhaps the most pathetic and weak response to having your personal data used without receiving any benefit. I am never ok with it, and think it's a disgusting practice and theft.
  • Maotti
    Maotti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend anyone that has run the patch update to actually read the TOS that pops up on the first log.
    They won't be putting ads in the game, but ZOS can now sell your personal information to 3rd party advertisers.

So, if I were you I would unlink any social network account you have from ZeniMax.

Really? They better remove the name and shame rule aswell then.......
    PC EU
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xxx
    Edited by Thorvarg on 20 March 2017 20:17
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

You need to read up on what tin foil hat actually means I believe. No I am not OK with them selling my personal information, especially identifiable information and information that generates spam. Typically, when people get used for profit they get some of that profit but we are essentially paying for a product and GIVING them information for free.

I'm not sure why you are ok with it "because other Companies do it" that is perhaps the most pathetic and weak response to having your personal data used without receiving any benefit. I am never ok with it, and think it's a disgusting practice and theft.

You leave a digital footprint with everything text, video, email you send out. Being on the internet right now is giving me IP address, location and key strokes to those who can see it. You ever download an app on your phone? or a mobile game? They tell you right there a license agreement or access to your photos, contacts and location. Its all over the place.

Sorry, just being honest. You have giving your info away since ICQ and MySpace.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People are shocked / complaining about this? Really?!

If you use Facebook or Amazon or the majority of apps on any smartphones or have any loyalty cards or basically do anything on the internet, at some point you have signed something like this. Either just deal with it or stop using the services.

Or see if you can find fun ways to mess with their algorithms by making their data worthless!
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

Then you better get off the internet cause you are never gonna get away from all this.
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Of course, I am well aware of my options kid. I said I think it's wrong and just told you they aren't getting 15$ a month from me now.

He called you kid. That proves he's older and wiser and better than you. And stuff. You just got served, bruh.
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

Your position is fair in the abstract, but until ZOS start restricting content for people who've opted out of this information-sharing stuff, it's not applicable to this situation.

ZOS are telling people they're gonna be doing this and provide a painless means of opting out of it. I don't see what the big deal is.
    Edited by mesmerizedish on 20 March 2017 20:21