Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are ads actually going to be in game?

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [quote="ereboz;330477"Will there actually be ads in game?[/quote]
    While ZOS have made some pretty dumb moves since the original release I don't think even they would be THAT stupid to start popping up ads in ths game itself .. mind you, they thought VR content was a good idea so, hmmmm.

• Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    you can opt-out of our sharing your personal information to target you this way by emailing us at ads@zenimax.com.

So what do I write in this email? Or is sending an empty mail enough?

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How awesome would it be to have a new altered reality apple iphone to look at the screen of while looking at the screen of your computer or VR preview and be able to make additional intelligent consumer choices that weren't available just looking at your computer screen? This is gonna be amazing!
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How awesome would it be to have a new altered reality apple iphone to look at the screen of while looking at the screen of your computer or VR preview and be able to make additional intelligent consumer choices that weren't available just looking at your computer screen? This is gonna be amazing!

There was something in that new agreement about using their Mobil App . Not sure what that's all about .
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khaos_Bane wrote: »
    yodased wrote: »
    long string

I hate it when Companies give your email address to others and make a profit off of it. FU ZoS

1bqu15.jpg

Mock all you want, it's not right that any Company make money off of your personal information without being compensated for it. Especially and email address that will involve receiving more spam.

getting more money equals more content in game, if that's not compensation, than I dunno what it is

and, that image was a joke :/

IMO, it is NOT acceptable to force your customers to agree to selling their personal information for profit or to make more content. I pay them 15$ a month so they don't do stuff like this. It's disgusting.

Now I will definitely drop my subscription.

Ummmm don't give them your email? Use a seperate email for things such as this. Did you not see where you can opt out? Out of all the things one could be upset with you pick this?
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ereboz wrote: »
    So all this talk about third party marketing. What exactly does this mean?
    Companies will often work together in order to benefit from each others' platforms. Sometimes it means ads, others, information. Sharing is a two-way street.
    Will there actually be ads in game?
    I can only see this as an option if ESO turns into "Free to Play". Otherwise, it's a guaranteed death sentence for subscription revenue. So for now, I'd say "No".
    Or just on website and launcher screen?
    Possibly, but unlikely. It's more likely that ZoS will be pushing, not receiving. In other words, by sharing information to sites you frequent, they can push ads on those accounts. You could be chatting on Facebook, and ZoS would push an ad to those reading your posts and target those who are also gamers (as Facebook will assuredly let ZoS know who they are).
    If there's ads popping up while I'm playing, I have may have to make the incredibly painful and sad decision to leave Tamriel
    Indeed, but I think you're allowing your worst case scenario get the better of you. ESO would go to F2P before pop-up ads, and you'll have plenty of notice before this happens.

The reality is, your information is already being shared, regardless if you're on console or PC. The difference is "marketing", and ZoS looks to be utilizing this to push its ads everywhere.

It's unfortunate this is becoming the normal thing companies do. There's quite a bit of money to be made on what people are doing every second of the day.

You know we've hit rock bottom when your damn television starts spying on you.

But people don't care. They simply hit "Accept", and go about their business. Because to decline means no access, and if everyone hit "Decline" on everything in their lives now, they wouldn't have anything to access.

Thankfully, Congress is finally recognizing this is becoming a big problem. In 52 years, they may finally pass a law which prevents companies from doing this.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coming to a town near you.

F04IhsFJQaEOrCJciYjI1kIQ193QbEoPEdxz62HDE4TJ1eaMqMMcTa6fdmYuupoa0PV3FHcBpEGLJktp_xlnGsR_COH51quKyaVlg5kBeIhljHz8q7D-SODIeDnoLp6-Oftr-TSojtc94F-buENLZvvlAK2mDQfAwreFNk4XZRBV9t5eBudevpMU4Q6Q5e9zci66sZEKMtA1Xp_IJUegde1mmUQeDJBYavP9GkNrpiYL2LkvkZsLWTx6QSjPvbO3rpXvYRA0lPe8X26qXWwhfgthqLWVzKzQsXlPLZcl-pmHo97b0ps8GG2gXFL9Zx1T0hYnOmhfFvt2BPom4wx_d7jIEK_z9ukQjbouqQAuOz1Vip_v9YerKooaKVz3KX6TKbrXLhi400dJX9kUy0zuK0sAsr01D4XHRF9EixdYq_s_AwUPxPcigs_lYizBmXQ1WtMG9I8i-8d9carvG25WpPD4xEqqP3-8EyFDp5WffPCkUnQY00ACLJJjcRvEXvXJ1lwIN8-WgUH7wuyXJ5b5fANCpChr-8HoL_EXESUgvXfW2YR3Ihh0QtVWiF0oG-1WzYecJugRcKisZlt_9uc7OFi2LF_nbP7uBwShJBW-HK7w-CQLROvsvhfVwVmjJcofP1cS5G6lnaW2TnIlmrgB7zVA0FJq92YFJ0k2iGMfwg=w1080-h612-no

please forgive the sloppy look I didn't spend much time on it.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • FortheloveofKrist
    FortheloveofKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Too far, ZoS.

Ya Gon! Unsubbed. Off to other games.

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mock all you want, it's not right that any Company make money off of your personal information without being compensated for it. Especially and email address that will involve receiving more spam.

getting more money equals more content in game, if that's not compensation, than I dunno what it is

More content in game which you will then have to pay for remember.
    KerinKor wrote: »
    While ZOS have made some pretty dumb moves since the original release I don't think even they would be THAT stupid to start popping up ads in ths game itself .. mind you, they thought VR content was a good idea so, hmmmm.

Someone tell me I'm not the ONLY one who still remembers them advertising the Leopard Senche in three different languages using the server shutdown announcement system...?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I didn't read any of this but I can tell you it defiantly says in game advertising and selling of all my personal data.

You did not read any of this, but you can say what it defiantly says? You seriously wrote this?
    There was something in that new agreement about using their Mobil App . Not sure what that's all about .

May not have been referring to ESO. ZeniMax Media is a big company with a number of online game venues, and this privacy policy, including the new section on third party marketing, applies to a lot more than ESO. Not all of it may actually apply to ESO or ZOS.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Too far, ZoS.

I hope they are not mobile, or facebook games, please do not order anything off Amazon as well... omg me writing this is leaving my digital footprint....

Please, the over reaction and knee jerk is sad. I am sorry, but you have been giving your information away for years.

You are probably going to be stuck with Minefield and Solitaire.
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • FortheloveofKrist
    FortheloveofKrist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Too far, ZoS.

I hope they are not mobile, or facebook games, please do not order anything off Amazon as well... omg me writing this is leaving my digital footprint....

Please, the over reaction and knee jerk is sad. I am sorry, but you have been giving your information away for years.

You are probably going to be stuck with Minefield and Solitaire.

Ahh...the "everyone is doing it, just relax" argument (which is a bs argument). Keep rolling with that. If this is where games are going, then yes, maybe I'll just play solitaire... or ***, maybe I'll go outside.

Thanks for your input though. Very insightful.

• Wrekkedd
    Wrekkedd
    ✭✭✭✭
    long string

I hate it when Companies give your email address to others and make a profit off of it. FU ZoS

1bqu15.jpg

IMO, it is NOT acceptable to force your customers to agree to selling their personal information for profit or to make more content. I pay them 15$ a month so they don't do stuff like this. It's disgusting.

Nobody is forcing you on anything, especially on paying for ESO+, that's your free will tbh
    You can always quit the game and you got the 'Right to be forgotten'

Of course, I am well aware of my options kid. I said I think it's wrong and just told you they aren't getting 15$ a month from me now.

Funny thing about it is, they already have your information and will sell it either way! HehexD
    Edited by Wrekkedd on 20 March 2017 22:06
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Too far, ZoS.

Will you also not be using Steam, Origin, Facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube, Amazon etc. ?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    It wasn't that long of a notice. I read it and basically it covers Facebook et al and that they will pool their information about you to sell you more video games on social media. There is even an opt out email in the notification: ads@zenimax.com

There is no mention of ads in the game. It's about tracking you across websites so they can tell who they are marketing to based on your social media and how well they worded their website ads and email (if you click on it, or hover over it, or spend time on it)

Please stop. the tin foil industry is rich enough.

hm, got no tracks in social media.

facebook be damned.
  • begemotz
    begemotz
    ✭✭
    The general ignorance and apathy given how little control you have over your personal data is sadly not surprising... but it is definitely generational... the whole "everyone is doing it" defense is an a priori defeatist argument that companies love to hear.. 'they' have definitely (and defiantly) won that one....
    Edited by begemotz on 20 March 2017 22:19
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    begemotz wrote: »
    The general ignorance and apathy given how little control you have over your personal data is sadly not surprising... but it is definitely generational... the whole "everyone is doing it" defense is an a priori defeatist argument that companies love to hear.. 'they' have definitely (and defiantly) won that one....

The problem is, crying about it on a forums doesn't change it. You have two options, play the game and accept it or don't and move on.

If you REALLY want to make a difference sign up privacy advocate groups and start actually working to get things scrutinised and regulated in courts.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Claire wrote: »
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Maybe it will be subtle. Like having some quiznos food recipes or Ikea furniture added.

Or a Dodge logo on the back of a ram in Cyrodiil.

There'll still be people complaining that it was too hard to follow and that they should just be able to kill it with light attacks.
    The Legendary Nothing
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    begemotz wrote: »
    The general ignorance and apathy given how little control you have over your personal data is sadly not surprising... but it is definitely generational... the whole "everyone is doing it" defense is an a prior defeatist argument that companies love to hear.. 'they' have definitely (and defiantly) won that one....

There is a certain large corporation that we all know that has an entire business model built around sticking it's nose into our business. It is exceedingly difficult to be online in the US or Europe, in any capacity, without crossing paths with this company. There is very little that we do online that they cannot track, monitor, measure, and sell.

Ignorance and apathy is irrelevant, as well. Companies watching, and trading, our online activity is so ubiquitous that it does not matter whether we are ignorant and apathetic, or not. Companies don't care about statements like "everyone is doing it" because they know that it is far too late for any concern to matter.

• Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pizza ordering would be ok.
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]

Yea same. Nothing you can do about it though, you hit decline you won't be able to play the game. Or is there something you could do?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cêltic421 wrote: »
    Yea same. Nothing you can do about it though, you hit decline you won't be able to play the game.

That is pretty much it. The important people know your email address anyway, and if it is a google, microsoft, or yahoo address, you already sold your soul and have nothing to complain about.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will you also not be using Steam, Origin, Facebook, Twitter, Google, YouTube, Amazon etc. ?

I don't know about you but I didn't pay a single drake up front to use most of those. In contrast, everyone paid money to play this game.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend anyone that has run the patch update to actually read the TOS that pops up on the first log.
    They won't be putting ads in the game, but ZOS can now sell your personal information to 3rd party advertisers.

So, if I were you I would unlink any social network account you have from ZeniMax.

Thank God, I only have my ZoS account ha.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If my email address is sold for their profit then they lose 2 subs (my wife and mine).
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's about using third party marketing tactics to sell you things, not about advertising in the game, jesus.

Also, this is new and me likey

ZeniMax, on its own and through third parties, may collect certain “device-identifying data” about your personal computer or mobile device, such as system information, IP address, screen resolution, device type, (e.g. PC, MAC), operating system (e.g. Windows, OS X, Linux), device time zone, MAC address, general geolocation information, and other system or network information to create a digital identifier of your device. This information may be combined with other information from our providers who assist us in conducting these activities.

This is probably the most exciting thing I've read since this patch dropped. This could lead to a much more robust cheat detection system, as well as enabling ZoS to black list specific programs and addons from being used in game.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • Enteum
    Enteum
    ✭✭✭
    Enteum wrote: »
    So, ZOS will be selling our personal data in order to make bank? If this really is the case then...
    They're just like every other company out there.

But...I sub to this game. And then they want to push my information to places that I am not aware of. This stinks tbh.
    Asira Avalis - Mage
  • Balamoor
    Balamoor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threads like this make me glad that most of the folks you see on the forums spend more time here than in game.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alexkdd99 wrote: »
    long string

1bqu15.jpg

Ummmm don't give them your email? Use a seperate email for things such as this. Did you not see where you can opt out? Out of all the things one could be upset with you pick this?

This is pretty BS. Typically, paid services don't use your personal information to make money. That revenue model is reserved for F2P games and free services (like social media).

It smells to me like they are going F2P with this game soon.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on 20 March 2017 23:35
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enteum wrote: »
    So, ZOS will be selling our personal data in order to make bank? If this really is the case then...
    They're just like every other company out there.

Not true.

Paid services typically don't rely on ad revenue to make money. That *** is reserved for free services (think F2P games, social media, etc.)