Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

@name showing - poll

• Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    The new system on PTS is too cluttered! Why do we have to see both? This is not a nameplate issue, but rather the info you see when targeting someone. I use gamepad on PC and have an add-on to swap in character names instead of account names. Now I have to see both (plus a title so it's very cluttered ).

Please @ZOS rethink this poor decision!
    PC-NA
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Merlight wrote: »
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    That's true, but the options you control usually determine the things you can see. I don't know of any example where you can control what someone else sees. I also don't see how that would work, since everything you control is stored client side in your ZO_ingame saved variables.

Helmet toggle.

Also, many settings are stored on the server -- keybinds, chat tabs+filters. I think even toggles like group member / follower chevrons, ally / enemy alliance icons, target outlines, health bars etc. -- they're certainly not in ZO_Ingame saved variables.

I'm not sure where it's stored, but we can also show or hide our titles. Should be possible with the @name as well, I guess.. I hope.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

Options
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's k. just add hide option
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    That's true, but the options you control usually determine the things you can see. I don't know of any example where you can control what someone else sees. I also don't see how that would work, since everything you control is stored client side in your ZO_ingame saved variables.

Uhh, if I hide my helmet no one sees my helmet. If I wear a costume everyone sees my costume.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
    Options
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

I guess the resaults shows the reality. we need a hide function so everyone can decide if they would like to show personal informations. (not just clientside hide option. serverside)
    #makepeace #nowar #hide #gina4evah
    Options
  • Nénlindë
    Nénlindë
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    Our login information should not be displayed... especially on a game like ESO with such high value :(

((Edit)) - By login information I mean our PSN id and Xbox Gamertags.
    Our character names should be all players can see. Everyone should have their own privacy settings where they can choose what they allow to show.
    Edited by Nénlindë on 27 April 2016 06:50
    Charmander
    every time
    nothing ever beats charmander
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's k. just add hide option
    There BETTER be a nametag hide option , I do not want my game to become a *** of nametags everwhere.
    Options
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nénlindë wrote: »
    Our login information should not be displayed... especially on a game like ESO with such high value :(

((Edit)) - By login information I mean our PSN id and Xbox Gamertags.
    Our character names should be all players can see. Everyone should have their own privacy settings where they can choose what they allow to show.

w8i6ho2.gif
    Edited by WeerW3ir on 27 April 2016 06:59
    Options
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I hope it will solve the situation when I'm organising a dungeon party from guildies I know from their names in chat, then when we are grouped I see in list a completely unknown names and I need to check in guild rooster who is who to even know that I wasn't grouped by accident with some random players :/ .
    Edited by Gargath on 27 April 2016 07:18
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Gargath wrote: »
    I hope it will solve the situation when I'm organising a dungeon party from guildies I know from their names in chat, then when we are grouped I see in list a completely unknown names and I need to check in guild rooster who is who to even know that I wasn't grouped by accident with some random players :/ .

Are you really suggesting everyone should live with the fact that their privacy is violated, because you find it easier to organize a PARTY now and then?

Simple solution: Write invitations (or copy paste them, or use the guild board...) to your guildies and tell them to wear their guild tabards for "entrance" to the partie. All guildies will be easily stotted. No lists required. AND it only takes one click remove the tabard after forming the group.
    Edited by Elsterchen on 27 April 2016 13:28
    Options
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    It's half of our login information, freely available for anyone to see.

A better option would be to have a login username that was never displayed anywhere, and a player name that could be displayed or not by user choice, without potentially compromising their account security if they did decide to display it.

Only issue is (as was stated above) I can find anyone's @name by either toggling gamepad mode or ignoring and unignoring you. The threat of leaked security has not gone up, it is perceived to have gone up.
    Options
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    ZOS putting your @name under your character name to me is a violation of the individual players privacy. If I want someone to have my mail address then I will give it to them and it should be up to me who gets it.

ZOS you have made a big mistake here and whoever dreamed this up at ZOS needs to have their head examined.
    Edited by Palidon on 27 April 2016 14:27
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Palidon wrote: »
    ZOS putting your @name under your character name to me is a violation of the individual players privacy. If I want someone to have my mail address then I will give it to them and it should be up to me who gets it.

ZOS you have made a big mistake here and whoever dreamed this up at ZOS needs to have their head examined.
    Actually, it's not.

Read your ToS. You really don't have any "rights" in this regard. Or in any other MMO for that matter should any of these games decide to keep doing this.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

Options
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you guys think this is a threat to security? The account name is pretty much shown all the time so if you can get hacked just off of that then it'd have happened by now.

After they have your UserID, then they'd need to get your password. If they either choose to reset your password or figure it out, then they'd need your e-mail login because they're logging in from an unknown computer...so a verification code will be sent to your e-mail address that they'll need to know.

I'm sure we'll all get hacked though.
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
    Options
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I hate most @ names I see! Charachter names are the most important. I got the add-on for PC when using controller to get rid of them.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Palidon wrote: »

Actually, it's not.

Read your ToS. You really don't have any "rights" in this regard. Or in any other MMO for that matter should any of these games decide to keep doing this.
    Beyond that, when creating your account it specifically states (and always has done) that your User ID is used in-game for others to identify you by.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes to character names

No to account names
    Options
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    It has always been possible to find out anyone's account name if you're willing to look. [snip]

[edited for macro]
    Edited by ZOS_CoriJ on 27 April 2016 21:04
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Faunter wrote: »
    It has always been possible to find out anyone's account name if you're willing to look. [snip]

[edited for macro]

No, this statement is plain wrong. Ppl only had the possibility to see my account name if I allowed that person in my group or guild.

I personally didn't like that too, but i still had the choice to not join groups or guilds with ppl i don't know. This choice is no longer available.

I know alot of you think its fine to let everyone know who you are, where you live, what you eat, who you date etc etc etc. That is ok for me, if you wish to share this information so be it.

Why do you feel offended or find it so hard to understand that i like to keep my privacy and share my information with ppl I choose only ? After all its a personal choice, isn't it?

Why is it so hard to understand that I like to keep my characters seperated ? After all its a personal choice, isn't it?

This doesn't mean you should not be allowed to share this information, it just means it should be a personal choice.

The current design, is no personal choice anymore.
    Options
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh it be a bit redundant on Rylana Dionysis since thats also my @ without the space, but whatever floats thy proverbial boat

@rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
    Options
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Elsterchen wrote: »
    Faunter wrote: »

[edited for macro]

No, this statement is plain wrong.
    The function used in the removed "macro" (aka legitimate in-game /script command) was added to the API in Imperial City update. So the only thing wrong in that statement is the word "always".
    Ppl only had the possibility to see my account name if I allowed that person in my group or guild.
    Or if you talked in /zone chat.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
    Options
  • Annra
    Annra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Ppl only had the possibility to see my account name if I allowed that person in my group or guild.

May be. But the player must act deliberately and must be active to receive this information. Now he becomes the info served on a silver platter.
    Options
  • SilentRaven1972
    SilentRaven1972
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    It, along with the CP rank display, is just clutter on my screen. At the very least, it should be optional, but I could do without it.
    "Such is the nature of evil. Out there in the vast ignorance of the world, it festers and spreads. A shadow that grows in the dark. A sleepless malice as black as the oncoming wall of night. So it ever was, so will it always be. In time all foul things come forth." -Thranduil
    Options
  • TerraPython
    TerraPython
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Annra wrote: »

May be. But the player must act deliberately and must be active to receive this information. Now he becomes the info served on a silver platter.

Do you not think the type of people that would send you hate-mail - (I assume that is why you dont want this to be displayed) - would actively and deliberatley look for that information anyway. Doesnt matter if it is on their screen, or in a menu - there still gonna find it eeh?
    501CP - Ebonheart Pact - EU/PC
    Lvl50 - Emerian - Stamina DD Nightblade
    Lvl50 - Dintirri - Templar Healer
    Lvl50 - Malik Thos - Dragonknight Tank
    LvL40 - Tyrriath - Stamina Nightblade NonVet PvP

GM of Bad Apples - Casual and fun all levels socail guild, with events. Look me up in game if your interested
    Options
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I will definitely be toggling everything to do with this off, because I really don't care what other people's @names are, and it looks way too cluttered with everything set on.

The only way I would ever think this is "okay", is if I get the option to toggle MY name on/off. I do not want others to see my @name, as it really isn't anyone's business.

And to those from console saying "we've had this problem forever, so we don't understand your pain". Really? :tongue: Every other post in a long period was all about console players wanting text chat and wanting to display character names instead of IDs....
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
    Options
  • Annra
    Annra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Do you not think the type of people that would send you hate-mail - (I assume that is why you dont want this to be displayed) - would actively and deliberatley look for that information anyway. Doesnt matter if it is on their screen, or in a menu - there still gonna find it eeh?

No, you are wrong. I have never got hate mails.
    I simply don't want to be recognized with my forum name in game.
    Another reason is, if I decide to join a group or guild, I will do that only with chars I have chosen. But that seems impossible in this game so I will never do that.

I assume this whole idea with @names must be such a generation facebook thingy.
    Options
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I'm all for people chosing which part of another players character name / player tag they want to see, but give the individual player control over whether or not they want to allow people to see their account name.

There should be a toggle that let you hide your account name from other people, even if they have display account name enabled.

Simple. If you implement it like that, then noone will mind. Just make it so we can choose to only see a character name with out seeing the account name on other players.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Edited by KanedaSyndrome on 28 April 2016 13:29
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
    Options
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Considering how many console players hated having gamertags and IDs in place of character names, I'm at a loss as to why they're now sticking it back on pc players. So we can all suffer together? The @names are there, fine just don't have them hanging over our heads!

How does it work if you're playing and set to offline? Does your @name disappear? I wanted to test it last night, but didn't see anyone around in the towns I could try it out with.
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

I think there are quite alot of ppl out there that will send hate-mails in just the moment they are upset about something. These kind of ppl would never actively search for someones @name, but beeing able to just aquire it will encourage them to take the possibility for verbal rage.
    (Do I really need to list the scientific data for the mere fact that everyone tends to abuse power? - Beeing able to direct rage at whoever has upset you for whatever reason at the time of your emotional arousal. IMHO this is too much power.)

The same person might regret their ourburst just 5 Minutes later, or doesn't and will continue sending hate notes ... this isn't the point here.

Point is: There is no way to stop this.

Oh yeah one can put that person to ignore ... sure and then he tells his 2500 guildies (5 guilds * 500 members) that @name has been really mean and even ignored him. What a poor sod, what a mean @name - someone needs to help!

Think this through to the end and tell me if you still believe the change is justified, if only one single player has to experience something like or comparable to this.
    Edited by Elsterchen on 28 April 2016 13:54
    Options
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    The "half the account log-in info" thing is a bit out of place because that's already easily obtained by far more efficient already existing methods. When pressed I've found that many people saying this really just feel it's a personal privacy issue rather than a security threat, they just seem to feel more comfortable objecting to it on fraud prevention grounds. If you are worried about your account name being farmable you've got bigger issues than someone chasing your character around trying to get a screenshot up close.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
    Options
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I don't know of any example where you can control what someone else sees.
    I do, mounts and helmets.
    Edited by Leogon on 28 April 2016 14:38
    Options