Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

@name showing - poll

• wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    I don't mind it from a privacy perspective, and from a security standpoint it's not that big of a deal. Instead I summon the ancient spirit of immersion!

Seriously, not all my characters have super lore-appropriate names, but "wayfarerx" is me, a human playing a video game on Earth. I don't live in Tamriel and, outside of a few places that warrant my @name being displayed (i.e. the friends list), I'd rather my time in game be spent as a lizard medic or sociopathic overgrown housecat, not a middle-aged white guy.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
    Options
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your @account name has never been private. Get over it.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's k. just add hide option
    Ok so no one is aware of the game pad UI on PC it seems thats shown @names for months....
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    FLuFFyxMuFFiN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I know some have said that it's half of our log in info and I do not disagree. However, anyone in a guild will know that your account name is shown instead of your character name anyway so I don't really see to much of an issue with it. I would rather they add a hide option to make both sides happy.
    Options
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    It's not the fact of messaging. It's half of our account login info. It should not be displayed.

To be fair it's 1/3.

I would like to hide the option.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Account names are public. They might as well be easily visible too.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    If I want to know who someone is,I'll just put my mouse on them to see their name. The one thing I would be interested in seeing is their class. To mouse over them and see not just their name but their class as well.Just because I get curious sometimes.
    Edited by Volkodav on 26 April 2016 14:04
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I do not like it. I think it will encourage mobbing and stalking.

Currently i am just glad my account and my forum name differ significantly.
    Options
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Elsterchen wrote: »

Guys, read the thread. We can already see your account names with one click switching to gamepad mode. Before that isn't addressed, nothing here discussed has any meaning.
    Options
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly how big of an issue is this for consoles and why?

On pc it's not really needed anywhere, unless people wants to keep track of other players - which is kinda creepy to think about.

I thought the issue on console was that there was no option to show character name instead of gamer tag. It certainly is for me. I spend a lot of time considering my character's name. Fortunately, my gamer tag is also a considered one and not the various-flavors-of-ill-chosen I see running around.

As in all things options should be more widely available and, for me, character names should be the default but my account ID is already plainly visible on the forums as are my character names and that is true for many here. It doesn't mean anyone can get into my account. In fact I have four passwords associated with my one account ID.

edit: Let me be more clear, the issues of account name are not present on the consoles. On the console we have no option to show our character name and so always run under our gamer tag associated with the console network, Xbox Live in my case. My gamer tag is different from my account name here but I don't see a problem. The only thing having my gamer tag on public view has done is attract a few people to friend or follow me because they remember my presence on the Skyrim forum. They don't stalk me for sure though I sometimes got a question at the beginning.

My biggest issue has always been a lack of options. If a feature is on it should be able to be toggled off. We are many and different and a red queen attitude (all ways are my way) is the antithesis of an open world.
    Edited by Moonscythe on 26 April 2016 14:40
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Nyx2 wrote: »

Guys, read the thread. We can already see your account names with one click switching to gamepad mode. Before that isn't addressed, nothing here discussed has any meaning.

I did play with gamepad UI on PC and as far as i noticed only my guildies or groupmembers will get to see my account name... just like playing without gamepad.

But I will have a look at that again.
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

Why would it create mobbing and stalking? Just curious. :)
    Options
  • Elsterchen
    Elsterchen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    @Volkodav ... create... encourage...

While I do not know why some ppl start to mob or stalk other ppl I do know that hiding information helps to keep them at bay before/once they started. Sure ignore lists and reporting players are helpfull too, but when you have to use them damage is already done. Beeing verbally targetted occasionally already happens ingame (or so i learned reading forum posts) ... so its not like there aren't potential jerks around.

Beeing "labeled" makes it even easier for these ppl to follow their "target", no escape to another char possible.

It sounds drastic, yes. It won't affect 99% of the playerbase, yes. BUT the 1% that will experience it will suffer... and i think this really isn't necessary.
    Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    JD2013 wrote: »
    It's not the fact of messaging. It's half of our account login info. It should not be displayed.

It should have been totally invisible to begin with.

Guilds should only list the character name you are on and shouldn't have ever had your @name.

Just like every other mmo ever did it.

It's just absolutely bizarre that ZOS doesn't get it.
    Edited by rfennell_ESO on 26 April 2016 15:14
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    @Volkodav ... create... encourage...

While I do not know why some ppl start to mob or stalk other ppl I do know that hiding information helps to keep them at bay before/once they started. Sure ignore lists and reporting players are helpfull too, but when you have to use them damage is already done. Beeing verbally targetted occasionally already happens ingame (or so i learned reading forum posts) ... so its not like there aren't potential jerks around.

Beeing "labeled" makes it even easier for these ppl to follow their "target", no escape to another char possible.

It sounds drastic, yes. It won't affect 99% of the playerbase, yes. BUT the 1% that will experience it will suffer... and i think this really isn't necessary.

Ahh.I see that can happen,I guess. I've been ingame since the betas and havent had but one small problem so far.Perhaps I am very lucky.
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hide option because options are great for everyone. I wonder how this will happen on console, will we see our character name (finally) plus out gamertag and forum name?
    Too much name, just let my characters be themselves.
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    WeerW3ir wrote: »
    Do we really need this? To show our @name under our name like a damn dogtag?

Its basicly hurts our privacy. We just get more hating and insulting with it. (mostly in pvp). I know this was asked since the beggining but on console noone like it. Right now, there is too much information whenever I look at someone.
    If enough people are asking for it, then you can't say that "no one on Consoles likes it"...

Obviously, people on Consoles have been asking for it as well as the PC community. This finally gives a reason to actually have a name for your different characters.

So in that regard, how exactly is this "hurting your privacy"? Especially since it comes toggled "Off" by default settings?

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    I just thought about something. I was reading all the comments and it just hit me.
    I wouldnt want my forum name or my account name to be shown. That is why we have character names.
    There is already the chat window that tells me when a friend logs in with a different character than he was playing earlier.The game should remain anonymous.
    Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

Its basicly hurts our privacy. We just get more hating and insulting with it. (mostly in pvp). I know this was asked since the beggining but on console noone like it. Right now, there is too much information whenever I look at someone.
    If enough people are asking for it, then you can't say that "no one on Consoles likes it"...

Obviously, people on Consoles have been asking for it as well as the PC community. This finally gives a reason to actually have a name for your different characters.

So in that regard, how exactly is this "hurting your privacy"? Especially since it comes toggled "Off" by default settings?

Heh all I gotta say is half your account info available to people in guilds you are a member of was bad.

Half you account info to everyone else on top of that, is worse.
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »
    I just thought about something. I was reading all the comments and it just hit me.
    I wouldnt want my forum name or my account name to be shown. That is why we have character names.
    There is already the chat window that tells me when a friend logs in with a different character than he was playing earlier.The game should remain anonymous.

Welcome to the console version. For a year now we've only had our gamertag displayed which has been bothering me since day 1.
    Options
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Nyx2 wrote: »

I did play with gamepad UI on PC and as far as i noticed only my guildies or groupmembers will get to see my account name... just like playing without gamepad.

But I will have a look at that again.

Um, yeah. It affects how you see others name, not the other way around. While gamepad players like me could just play the (in our opinion) less comfortable way, we're even worse off than console players since targeting and group overviews always show account names while the chat uses character names. It's incredibly confusing.
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for it and will disable it if I can, but I really don't understand the panic that we'll all suddenly get hacked. Our UserIDs have never been private, if someone outside our guild/friend list wanted to find it, they could (Ignore list, gamepad mode). I bet many of us even use our login as our forum name. Nothing is going to change if this goes through. Well, for those of us who care about such things, our immersion will suffer when we start seeing all those random names, but that's all.
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

Heh all I gotta say is half your account info available to people in guilds you are a member of was bad.

Half you account info to everyone else on top of that, is worse.
    lol

It's there already. On any console, you don't even have to really be looking at someone to see their Gamer Tag/PSN ID. No one has any problems with that now, why will it be so much worse to see their character name after these changes go live?

Will there be a magickal "screw with me, you can still see my Gamer Tag" command when you look at people now?

Get a grip. It's not telling people how to break into another account. At most it's adding on a character name. All the other information is information you could already see.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

Options
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Merlight wrote: »
    I hated them in guild chat as well. One of the first add-ons I installed was pNames, so that I could chat with characters, in character.

Back when bots were a thing they would send players guild invites in the middle of a fight or farming mats in hopes they'd accidentally accept.

If the bots thought gathering up that sort of personal information was useful. Im not sure why ZOS is making it so accessible.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
    Options
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    And it comes as toggled "Off" by default.

You have to go in an manually turn it on.

So aside from baseless internet panicking, what is everyone's issue?

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    That's true, but the options you control usually determine the things you can see. I don't know of any example where you can control what someone else sees. I also don't see how that would work, since everything you control is stored client side in your ZO_ingame saved variables.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    This is not about consoles so stop trying to make it a fight or an pc vs. console. On the pts it shows your @ name along with the character name and champion points. A lot of people don't like this for various reasons, and want it removed or an option to hide it. That simple.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
    Options
  • Nyx2
    Nyx2
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    This is not about consoles so stop trying to make it a fight or an pc vs. console.

You clearly haven't read anything on here.
    Options
  • RedRoomGaming
    RedRoomGaming
    ✭✭✭
    I am confused. On console people already see your gamer tag? So why would we need extra or is this the forums? How would this also create a hacking thing someone explain.
    PS4 Eu Server
    • Stampler - RedRoomGaming - V16
    • Mageblade - Beard Of Molag - v3
    • High Elf Sorc - Man Of Potato - V16
    Options