• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

@name showing - poll

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    And it comes as toggled "Off" by default.

You have to go in an manually turn it on.

So aside from baseless internet panicking, what is everyone's issue?

The fact that you cant stop your name from showing to others.
    Options
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's k. just add hide option
    The way I look at it:

Character names... Yes, and the way it should have been from the start.
    Gamertags... Yes, but optional, since it's the easiest way to find people to invite to guilds etc.
    Gamers REAL names... No, not even optional.

Anyone disagree?
    Edited by robwolf666 on 26 April 2016 16:18
    Options
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Anhedonie wrote: »
    You know, ZOS, people don't like forced stuff, but they really appreciate OPTIONS.
    That's true, but the options you control usually determine the things you can see. I don't know of any example where you can control what someone else sees. I also don't see how that would work, since everything you control is stored client side in your ZO_ingame saved variables.

Helmet toggle.

Also, many settings are stored on the server -- keybinds, chat tabs+filters. I think even toggles like group member / follower chevrons, ally / enemy alliance icons, target outlines, health bars etc. -- they're certainly not in ZO_Ingame saved variables.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws
    Options
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My passcode is 1...2...3...4.
    Same as my luggage...
    "Get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    WeerW3ir wrote: »
    Do we really need this? To show our @name under our name like a damn dogtag?

Its basicly hurts our privacy. We just get more hating and insulting with it. (mostly in pvp). I know this was asked since the beggining but on console noone like it. Right now, there is too much information whenever I look at someone.
    If enough people are asking for it, then you can't say that "no one on Consoles likes it"...

Obviously, people on Consoles have been asking for it as well as the PC community. This finally gives a reason to actually have a name for your different characters.

So in that regard, how exactly is this "hurting your privacy"? Especially since it comes toggled "Off" by default settings?

Heh all I gotta say is half your account info available to people in guilds you are a member of was bad.

Half you account info to everyone else on top of that, is worse.
    lol

It's there already. On any console, you don't even have to really be looking at someone to see their Gamer Tag/PSN ID. No one has any problems with that now, why will it be so much worse to see their character name after these changes go live?

Will there be a magickal "screw with me, you can still see my Gamer Tag" command when you look at people now?

Get a grip. It's not telling people how to break into another account. At most it's adding on a character name. All the other information is information you could already see.

Most games don't use the account login for the gamer tag, they give you options that leave account details invisible. I don't know a thing about consoles, I only have and play on a pc.

For a PC user the fact that 1/2 your account info was always available to anyone in your guilds was foolish, now with everyone having access to it, it's even more foolish.

Account info should have been invisible in the first place, hidden behind a gamer tag or character names. They don't actually have to display the @name at all in game. Why ZOS continues to follow this line of thinking is questionable.
    Options
  • babylon
    babylon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    Really the account name that we share with the whole server should have been different from our login name to start with...in all other games nobody would ever see or find out my login name unless I was foolish enough to share it with them...in ESO we are forced to expose half of our login details...formerly only to guild members (500 people per guild) and those who stopped by to click on our names somehow, but in the next patch we'll just be advertising it to entire server as we walk by everyone.

Really this should be something we have complete control over who we share this with (in my case nobody would know my account name). I think letting us completely hide our login/account name from everyone should be something ZOS needs to consider, as a privacy thing, and I don't think many people actually want to volunteer their login details to random people in the first place. Not just make it so we can click off seeing the account names of others (that's just visual and doesn't address the privacy issue we're raising) - let us hide our account names from everyone.

Even the poll suggests people don't want others to be able to see our account names - I think what we're saying is let us choose to entirely hide our account/login names, not let others choose whether they see names or not.

Edited by babylon on 26 April 2016 16:33
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    I am confused. On console people already see your gamer tag? So why would we need extra or is this the forums? How would this also create a hacking thing someone explain.
    On console you currently see only your gamertag. On PC with the gamepad UI, you see only your account name, as that is the equivalent of your gamertag. On PC with the default UI, you currently see only your character name.

On PTS, in both the Gamepad UI and the default UI, you see both your character name and your account name/gamertag.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mickey_Ox wrote: »

Its basicly hurts our privacy. We just get more hating and insulting with it. (mostly in pvp). I know this was asked since the beggining but on console noone like it. Right now, there is too much information whenever I look at someone.

Nobody on console wants it?? Its us console players have been asking for it the most. Right now its PSN (account name) appears for everything on every character. I look forward to it from a roleplay perspective that i can now play a female character that doesn't have mickey ox over its head

I just wanted my character's name to be displayed on console. Not my account name or my gamertag. So now it will be account name and not character name?
    PS4 Pro NA
    Options
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be optional to display. Another head scratcher update.
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes

If enough people are asking for it, then you can't say that "no one on Consoles likes it"...

Obviously, people on Consoles have been asking for it as well as the PC community. This finally gives a reason to actually have a name for your different characters.

So in that regard, how exactly is this "hurting your privacy"? Especially since it comes toggled "Off" by default settings?

Heh all I gotta say is half your account info available to people in guilds you are a member of was bad.

lol

It's there already. On any console, you don't even have to really be looking at someone to see their Gamer Tag/PSN ID. No one has any problems with that now, why will it be so much worse to see their character name after these changes go live?

Will there be a magickal "screw with me, you can still see my Gamer Tag" command when you look at people now?

Get a grip. It's not telling people how to break into another account. At most it's adding on a character name. All the other information is information you could already see.

Most games don't use the account login for the gamer tag, they give you options that leave account details invisible. I don't know a thing about consoles, I only have and play on a pc.

For a PC user the fact that 1/2 your account info was always available to anyone in your guilds was foolish, now with everyone having access to it, it's even more foolish.

Account info should have been invisible in the first place, hidden behind a gamer tag or character names. They don't actually have to display the @name at all in game. Why ZOS continues to follow this line of thinking is questionable.
    Well, your @Name has never been private in this game. It's always been extremely easy to see someone's @Name in any number of ways.

But there has never been a rash of account thefts in the two years ESO has been operating. Why now is there a sudden panic?

This is just people not doing any kind of research, starting a panic over something that has always been there and never been an issue before.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.

lol

Well, your @Name has never been private in this game. It's always been extremely easy to see someone's @Name in any number of ways.

But there has never been a rash of account thefts in the two years ESO has been operating. Why now is there a sudden panic?

This is just people not doing any kind of research, starting a panic over something that has always been there and never been an issue before.

It's just people who do not want their info put out there.If someone wants to dig around to find it,that's one thing,though that shouldnt be allowed.However,it's another for it to just be thrown out there for all to see and you cannot turn it off.I would like the option to toggle my info off,personally. It's no one's business.
    Edited by Volkodav on 26 April 2016 17:29
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same as my luggage...

You almost had an awesome but you forgot 5 :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6iW-8xPw3k
    Options
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »
    Same as my luggage...

No wonder I can't open my luggage!
    "Get off my lawn!"
    Options
  • Iink
    Iink
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't care, but for those who do care they deserve privacy.

I myself have had privacy issues on Steam. Steam only offers private profile, or public profile. And most people refuse to add private profiles out of suspicion. I wish Steam had an in-between like (show your profile to people you add). Or even better, hide your profile from people that you've blocked. Sadly it doesn't do that, so I can't keep my profile private from creeps who I would like to stay hidden from.

Sorry for the tangent, but I just wanted to say that privacy is important, and people should have the right to it. I don't care for privacy in ESO since I have no stalkers there, but each person is different, and for those who do want that privacy should be given it.
    Options
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

How would hiding your @name prevent receiving tells? Anyone can already whisper you using your character name.
    Options
  • Melilotta
    Melilotta
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    I'd rather my time in game be spent as a lizard medic or sociopathic overgrown housecat
    This!
    I don't hide my account name and I know it's always been visible for anyone who cares, but I don't want it to be shown above my characters. Each of them has their own personality, what has the account name to do with that? And if I suddenly want to create a male character, a female @name will look just plain silly.
    And I don't want to always see other players' account names. The uncluttered screen is great, I've always loved that in ESO.
    Options
  • WeerW3ir
    WeerW3ir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melilotta wrote: »
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    I'd rather my time in game be spent as a lizard medic or sociopathic overgrown housecat
    This!
    I don't hide my account name and I know it's always been visible for anyone who cares, but I don't want it to be shown above my characters. Each of them has their own personality, what has the account name to do with that? And if I suddenly want to create a male character, a female @name will look just plain silly.
    And I don't want to always see other players' account names. The uncluttered screen is great, I've always loved that in ESO.

Totally agree.
    Options
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    There's too much information on the player's nametag now. It's cluttered and visually noisy. @names need to be hidden, champ ranks icons could be cleaner, it's just messy looking right now.

The @name should definitely go. There's no reason everyone needs to know my exact location in time and space. I'm not a sub-atomic particle and while I know there's physicists out there, you can go play with the Heisenberg Principle in your own lab. B)
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
    Options
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I don't like it myself, but ultimately it is not for me to say if people want to display it or not. But they better have a toggle.
    Options
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »
    Same as my luggage...

No wonder I can't open my luggage!

haha nice
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Don't see how people seeing our character or @ name affects griefing. It's fairly common in MMOs to be able to toggle seeing names. Never had a negative issue with it.
    Options
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Volkodav wrote: »

lol

It's just people who do not want their info put out there.If someone wants to dig around to find it,that's one thing,though that shouldnt be allowed.However,it's another for it to just be thrown out there for all to see and you cannot turn it off.I would like the option to toggle my info off,personally. It's no one's business.
    Which is why it starts out being toggled to "Off", and you get to pick and choose what's on the nameplate should you choose to turn it "On".

As far as "digging" for the info... There's a couple UI mods (on PC of course) that will do that, and if you do a general shout-out using /say, /yell, etc., when someone uses the command /ignore, the game makes a list of aaaaallllllllllll the people you've ignored. That list also gives you everyone's @Name.

There's no digging. The @Names have always been publicly available. They start off turned to "Off", and you have to purposefully turn it "On" to see anything.

Question: With this information being readily available for the last two years, when was the last time you heard about a frantic rash of stolen ID's and accounts in ESO?

Answer: You haven't. Because it's never happened.

Your information is no more protected or vulnerable than it has been over the last two years. So why
    now
    is this a problem?

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    Volkodav wrote: »

lol

Which is why it starts out being toggled to "Off", and you get to pick and choose what's on the nameplate should you choose to turn it "On".

As far as "digging" for the info... There's a couple UI mods (on PC of course) that will do that, and if you do a general shout-out using /say, /yell, etc., when someone uses the command /ignore, the game makes a list of aaaaallllllllllll the people you've ignored. That list also gives you everyone's @Name.

There's no digging. The @Names have always been publicly available. They start off turned to "Off", and you have to purposefully turn it "On" to see anything.

Question: With this information being readily available for the last two years, when was the last time you heard about a frantic rash of stolen ID's and accounts in ESO?

Answer: You haven't. Because it's never happened.

Your information is no more protected or vulnerable than it has been over the last two years. So why
    now
    is this a problem?

Actually it did happen, to a fair number of players about 3 months after launch.

The reason this is a problem is for the same reason it's always been a problem... why does ZOS expose your login to any and everybody? It's simple enough to not do it...
    Options
  • Riggsy
    Riggsy
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol, I stupidly put my real name as my ID thinking it would private (just for login purposes). After I realized how public it was I still ran with it. The only downside is the number of people who think they know me irl. I dont think this is really a privacy issue, but (and I have yet to see the PTS) I do question the number of tags floating over our heads...

NAME
    @Id
    TITLE
    GUILD

seems a bit much
    MMAGA - We Made Medium Armor Great Again
    Evasion: Casting this ability and its morphs now requires that you wear 5 pieces of Medium Armor.

Woe Biden - Mule
    Donald Thump - Mule
    M'aiq Pence - Mule
    Options
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its basicly hurts our privacy.

We should start some facebook page about it!!!
    Options
  • Universe
    Universe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No.
    I was able to choose my character names at early access and I'm happy that finally they will be easier to discover.
    But letting everyone to see the @name on PC/MAC will be too much of a security risk and will increase the number harassments in Cyrodiil and in other activities.
    There is no reason for showing this in the nameplate...@name should be kept for guilds and friends.
    Even now without the nameplates - 5 guilds = 499x5=2,495 people(1 account per person, average) know the user id.

ZOS, This is absurd... why do you make it easier for hackers to steal game accounts ?
    Also, if one of your game masters or even admin will show ingame, what will stop everyone to see his user ID ?
    It is the same system for all users.

Edited by Universe on 26 April 2016 20:44
    Some videos I recorded for fun: Main character:
    PC EU main: Universe - AD magicka Sorcerer, Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, The Merciless, Trial Bosses Solo Champion
    Top alts: Genius(stamina/sagicka Dragonknight) The Force(stamina Nightblade) and other chars.
    PC NA main: The Magic - AD magicka Sorcerer
    Started playing ESO in beta & early access
    User_ID: Daedric_Prince
    Options
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see it now. all i have to do is switch to gamepad mode. sorry to break it too you. want privacy? then don't play a game with other people in it.
    Options
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asmael wrote: »
    Nameplates haven't really changed that, but...

WHO THE HELL THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA TO SHOW EVERYONE'S LOGIN TO THE WORLD?!?

#PleaseHaxxMe

I think those on PC don't use the game pad mode. On PC since release it always showed the @name instead so this change is just bringing it to the default UI....not that it's right but it is what it is.
    yes a lot o people do play with controller because some people hate the wasd and mouse movement.
    Options
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daraugh wrote: »
    There's too much information on the player's nametag now. It's cluttered and visually noisy. @names need to be hidden, champ ranks icons could be cleaner, it's just messy looking right now.

The @name should definitely go. There's no reason everyone needs to know my exact location in time and space. I'm not a sub-atomic particle and while I know there's physicists out there, you can go play with the Heisenberg Principle in your own lab. B)

I agree. And if we must have the champion rank showing, it could be Character Name - CP icon - CP rank instead of how it is now. And the title under it like it is already.
    Edited by Abeille on 26 April 2016 20:42
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
    Options
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I do think they need to change it so our account name does not show, for everyone. They need an option to hide that.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
    Options